More Complexity != Better Gameplay

13 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

I expect what they mean with ranger spear is that you have an extra step to do the same or less damage as other weapons that don't require that step.  It makes the weapon feel cumbersome.  When timing matters you're having to activate a 0.5s skill before you can use the skill you need or you lose a ton of damage because the non-ambush versions are strictly inferior.  There's no choice involved, which might be associated with complexity.  You just need to spam stealth to boost your skills and it's an extra button and extra 0.5s every time.  It just feels slow when you need it to be faster.

Mukluk made the comment that it's not clear that stealthing actually helps your DPS. Since the stealth skill interrupts your damage, and you stop autoattacking while stealthed, the autoattacks you lose might well outweigh the extra damage the skill does when it does land. Might still have benefits when a burst is more valuable than sustained damage, but it seems as though it's not the do-this-for-more-DPS mechanic it seems to be.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2024 at 6:29 AM, draxynnic.3719 said:

Mukluk made the comment that it's not clear that stealthing actually helps your DPS. Since the stealth skill interrupts your damage, and you stop autoattacking while stealthed, the autoattacks you lose might well outweigh the extra damage the skill does when it does land. Might still have benefits when a burst is more valuable than sustained damage, but it seems as though it's not the do-this-for-more-DPS mechanic it seems to be.

To be fair his comment was for pvp where it's mostly all about burst.

2 minutes ago, Cuks.8241 said:

To be fair his comment was for pvp where it's mostly all about burst.

Pretty sure that in the video I watched, he raised that as a problem in PvE - he was talking about how the damage rotation was to always use stealth for skill 2, but that he wasn't sure that was actually a DPS boost due to the loss of time spent autoattacking, and that it might be better to just not use the stealth at all in a DPS rotation (but that he hadn't tested it to see, we'll see what Snowcrows and the other number-crunchers come up with).

I'd be all up for simpler rotations, less damage and more class identity.

Now, most of the weapons are used in close range anyway. Axes feel like maces, maces feel like swords, and swords feel like scepters. The target area is mostly the same, and you swing them the same way.

Game is going into a bit different direction. And I guess its fine, as everyone is praising games combat. To me, most specs, i don't see the identity. Maybe simpler skills would do the trick.

8 hours ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

Aren't rotations player-created things (optimizing) rather than something the game forces on the player?

yeah, you are right. It is not forced. But if you want to do half-decent in end-game you should probably use some of the meta builds.

For perspective - I have never gotten above 20k dmg on any build/rotation that I have made myself 😄 aaand with 20k on golem for a dps class in todays raid market, - you are just a dead weight. Sure, you can get carried. But if everyone is running same for-fun, unoptimized builds the squad is bound to fail. And the dps treshold is forced on player with boss timers on them.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

Aren't rotations player-created things (optimizing) rather than something the game forces on the player?

There are cases where it's pretty clear what the intended rotation is. For instance, the bullet mechanic for elepistol is very clearly pushing you to use skills in a specific order for damage, and possibly the reverse order when you need defence or sustain more.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2024 at 9:50 PM, DeanBB.4268 said:

I personally hate the idea of rotations, and have railed against them before, but hadn't been able to fully voice exactly why they tick me off so much.

At their core, rotations are actually about bypassing the game's mechanics.

GW2 was designed with the idea of combat being a very mobile thing, where you would have to think about positioning as well as when it would be best to unleash a skill or combination thereof.

And since the beginning, people who can't deal with moving AND fighting, have gone out of their way to design ever more complex rotations so they can avoid engaging with these mechanics and just stay in one spot and tank through everything but instant kills, hence the predominance of stacking.

It adds the wrong kind of complexity to the game, and ends up making it more about repetition than creative gameplay.

Over time, this has fed back in to the game and become the accepted way to play, resulting in the development team changing gameplay design to reflect player behaviour, and it's infuriating.

For players who play the way the game it was originally meant to be played, constantly moving and dodging, they will NEVER get massive DPS numbers, because the game was never meant to be about DPS checks. Every dodge, or moving out of engagement, stops the player dealing damage, unless they're ranged.

I'll go outside and shout at some clouds now.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

I personally hate the idea of rotations, and have railed against them before, but hadn't been able to fully voice exactly why they tick me off so much.

GW2 was designed with the idea of combat being a very mobile thing, where you would have to think about positioning as well as when it would be best to unleash a skill or combination thereof.

And since the beginning, people who can't deal with moving AND fighting, have gone out of their way to design ever more complex rotations so they can avoid engaging with these mechanics and just stay in one spot and tank through everything but instant kills, hence the predominance of stacking.

It adds the wrong kind of complexity to the game, and ends up making it more about repetition than creative gameplay.

Over time, this has fed back in to the game and become the accepted way to play, resulting in the development team changing gameplay design to reflect player behaviour, and it's infuriating.

For players who play the way the game it was originally meant to be played, constantly moving and dodging, they will NEVER get massive DPS numbers, because the game was never meant to be about DPS checks. Every dodge, or moving out of engagement, stops the player dealing damage, unless they're ranged.

Great comment.

Like the person you responded to stated, the game doesn't have rotations, they are player created constructs...they don't "actually exist."

But, because players became so enamored with rotations, they begin to believe they are actually real...If all people talk about is rotations, Arena Net's ideas for making balance changes that are based on player feedback, further actualizes the existence of rotations as a built in mechanic of the game rather than just a player created construct, further increasing the enamoration of rotations

Before you know it, people are writing 2000 page essays about whether Anet should add 0.5 seconds of alacrity to this traitline over here instead of this other traitline of there, for a rotation that 95% of people probably don't even know exists, didn't need to care about or use correctly. I alluded to this pointlessness on the previous page, and it drives me crazy as well. Seeing the train heading towards the cliff miles before it gets there, and knowing you can't do anything to stop it, is...such a terrible feeling.

Like the movie Snowpiercer

A-net is the authority on the train

People who play this game are the shoe.

And the conductor, are people like us, who at the very least can see and acknowledge that the rest of the train is in a perpetual self fulfilling but pointless feedback loop.

Why are we even on the train again? What is the point of playing this game...to just minmax the time spent killing this boss with as little effort as possible? It's like everyone forgot that this is supposed to be a game, where fights are supposed to be fun, where people are supposed to make their own builds, experiment and test things, explore the space of skill combinations, not a glorified calculator simulation.

Anyway. Good on you and DeanBB for thinking out of the box, and questioning the current narrative. Thanks for that really.

Edited by JusticeRetroHunter.7684
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/30/2024 at 5:47 PM, RagiNagi.1802 said:

yeah, you are right. It is not forced. But if you want to do half-decent in end-game you should probably use some of the meta builds.

For perspective - I have never gotten above 20k dmg on any build/rotation that I have made myself 😄 aaand with 20k on golem for a dps class in todays raid market, - you are just a dead weight. Sure, you can get carried. But if everyone is running same for-fun, unoptimized builds the squad is bound to fail. And the dps treshold is forced on player with boss timers on them.

10-15k is the main requirement for end game content

9 hours ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

Why do I need 4-9 other players if we each function as a solo unit rather than serving a role as part of a group? 

How do you balance?  There's a reason the really tough solos are always classes like Rev and necro.  They're the ones that can survive anything other classes can while giving up the least amount of damage.  Balancing theoretical maximum damage is much easier than trying to objectively measure sustain and its impact on damage output.

I think they realized these problems early on and by the time they put out their first expansion had already begun to change course.  It's difficult to design compelling group content when your premise is basically "every man for himself".

• Like 1