PvP afk players

Its really obvious that not alot of attention gets put into PvP but I want to make one ask. If you could make a afk timer with an auto penalty. So if a player sits still without pressing skill keys for a total of 2 minutes during any round they become heavily penalized. Not consecutive minutes because the toxic players will just move and skill activate at timely intervals to spite their team while avoiding penalty. For example if a player sits afk for a ranked round have them lose tripple the calculated points for causing the loss then give them a 30 minute penalty from joining their next game. If this could be passively coded in it would be wonderful. Similar to how the negation of point loss was. I understand that was taken out to prevent win trading but a penalty would be nice.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Desaita.3792 said:

Its really obvious that not alot of attention gets put into PvP but I want to make one ask. If you could make a afk timer with an auto penalty. So if a player sits still without pressing skill keys for a total of 2 minutes during any round they become heavily penalized. Not consecutive minutes because the toxic players will just move and skill activate at timely intervals to spite their team while avoiding penalty. For example if a player sits afk for a ranked round have them lose tripple the calculated points for causing the loss then give them a 30 minute penalty from joining their next game. If this could be passively coded in it would be wonderful. Similar to how the negation of point loss was. I understand that was taken out to prevent win trading but a penalty would be nice.

4 double rating lose

dude standing still is not against tos, for example if a team i was on was lossing 300 to 10 there is no point trying in that match for nothing. and for sure if they introduced an annoying tracking sistem i would be the first to never go to pvp again, and pvp is barelly holding on. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

6 hours ago, MarkoGold.7126 said:

dude standing still is not against tos, for example if a team i was on was lossing 300 to 10 there is no point trying in that match for nothing. and for sure if they introduced an annoying tracking sistem i would be the first to never go to pvp again, and pvp is barelly holding on. 

This is a good point.  I find I get marked the most when we're down by 200 and team getting farmed, I'm last one alive so I just stand somewhere and if teammate running from spawn (again) sees me they call target lmao

• Confused 4

I agree that there should be more done to address afk's.

The other thing is that there needs to be a surrender vote.  Resigning in chess is common, because there are board states that are simply unwinnable and it's pointless to continue.  My last chess match, my opponent (my brother) had a choice between mate in 2, 3, or 8 moves.  No matter what he did, the game was lost, so it was pointless to continue that match.  

GW2 PvP has no effective comeback mechanics.  My experience with PvP, since launch, is that secondary objectives are a snowballing mechanic rather than a comeback mechanic.  There are plenty of matches in GW2 PvP that are simply unwinnable, assuming both sides are playing optimally.  The point system in conquest mode simply does not allow for a way to derail an early snowball.  Analogous to chess, the losing team has a choice between losing in N1, N2, or N3 minutes.; no matter what, the match is a loss and the consequences for losing the match are the same regardless of any context.

For clarity, there are plenty of matches which are close and the losing team can still win.  I've found these games to be within ~50 points throughout the match.  So, yes, it is possible to "comeback" in a match.  However, such matches are in relative equipoise throughout; i.e., there is no snowballing.  The surrender option is essential for snowballed matches, which are fairly common.

Overall, a surrender vote would noticeably alleviate the afk problem.  This may be the more economical solution.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Rogue.8235 said:

Overall, a surrender vote would noticeably alleviate the afk problem.  This may be the more economical solution.

no it wouldn't lol
all a surrender vote's gonna do is get people to give up a match the moment the very first mid fight is lost and they'll afk until it's possible

the solution to afking players is to actually moderate the mode, it's what it's always been, and every time a player tries to come up with some other solution, it sucks

Edited by Shagie.7612
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Shagie.7612 said:

no it wouldn't lol
all a surrender vote's gonna do is get people to give up a match the moment the very first mid fight is lost and they'll afk until it's possible

the solution to afking players is to actually moderate the mode, it's what it's always been, and every time a player tries to come up with some other solution, it sucks

I'll admit my mistake is the assumption that every player demonstrates good sportsmanship.  I forget, this is a video game; the demographic is not notable for mature behavior.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Shagie.7612 said:

no it wouldn't lol

They do that anyway, so surrender vote changes nothing there.  What it would add is for the 400-100 games or the games where someone leaves and you are down a player, there it would make it quicker to get to the next one. 

As the current solution of 'just feed it goes faster' is pretty asinine.  While technically it works, no one wants to do it as enemy team is usually dancing/gloating/BM'ing about their 4v5, so why would someone want to feed into that more?

But yeah, if it's unwinnable and can't surrender, can't leave or get a penalty, then only recourse right now is go play hide and seek somewhere on the map until it ticks to 500.  

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

If you reward players on the losing team with rating loss mitigation  (players that tough it out and try to push objectives despite afkers), you not only will incentivize people afking out of poor sportsmanship, but also players who care enough about ranking to try to protect their rating.

Least performing person gets hit with the most ladder loss.

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, MarkoGold.7126 said:

It's a PvP match. 50% of the players involved WILL be losing, should they always afk too? I know you're talking about one-sided matches, but many are. Idk if it's really bannable but I'll always report this kind of player.

1 hour ago, Rocker.2906 said:

It's a PvP match. 50% of the players involved WILL be losing, should they always afk too? I know you're talking about one-sided matches, but many are. Idk if it's really bannable but I'll always report this kind of player.

you do know false reporting is against tos, just because you are angry someone is afking doesnt mean you have the right to report them when they didnt break any rule.

16 minutes ago, MarkoGold.7126 said:

you do know false reporting is against tos, just because you are angry someone is afking doesnt mean you have the right to report them when they didnt break any rule.

u wanna explain what the idle player option is for then or do u wanna try and justify ruining games for your teammates a little more first

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, MarkoGold.7126 said:

Perhaps you need to take a look at the GW2 Code of conduct, which can be found at https://www.arena.net/en/legal/code-of-conduct (updated on 13th June 2024) specifically section 23. 

A player malciously going AFK is not actively participating in good faith and therefore breaches the code of conduct.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, MarkoGold.7126 said:

afking is bannable temporarily 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barabbas.8715 said:

I can go AFK as much as I want and there is nothing yall can do about it. Cope harder Karen. 🥴🥴

Dw, if I see you doing in any of my ranked matches, I will make a screen to record it and submit ticket online here ;). Minimal 3 day ban atleast to shut afkers like you up 😌

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, arazoth.7290 said:

Dw, if I see you doing in any of my ranked matches, I will make a screen to record it and submit ticket online here ;). Minimal 3 day ban atleast to shut afkers like you up 😌

totaly normal behavior, go outside touch grass be one with nature.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/30/2024 at 5:38 PM, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

If you reward players on the losing team with rating loss mitigation  (players that tough it out and try to push objectives despite afkers), you not only will incentivize people afking out of poor sportsmanship, but also players who care enough about ranking to try to protect their rating.

Least performing person gets hit with the most ladder loss.

How about this, it wouldn't matter who wins the match, just personal performance on each team.

That way you can be on a team losing by 200 points, but you were top DPS (or some other metric) on the losing team so you get rewarded because you still performed the best within your team despite it losing the match.

On the flip side, you can even be on the winning team but if you haven't done anything you don't get anything, because it wouldn't be about which team wins, it would be about personal performance within the match compared to other team mates.

This way you'd prevent the "throw the towel" mentality as soon as your team starts losing, and AFKers will always get penalties because they haven't done anything, while people that perform always get rewarded even if their team loses.

On 8/30/2024 at 3:29 PM, MarkoGold.7126 said:

It's not my job to decide the exact amount of afking that warrants a ban, anet can do that after receiving 4 reports over idle-gameplay for the same player. Also I feel like the angry person is the one refusing to play the game they're spending time on because it's under the impression that its teammates don't "deserve" it... I click report and then get on with my game no problem 🙂

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/31/2024 at 3:06 PM, arazoth.7290 said:

People have been trying to get me banned since launch. Still here. Lots of them even claimed to have video evidence. Still here. Cope. 😂😂

On 9/1/2024 at 2:33 PM, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

How about this, it wouldn't matter who wins the match, just personal performance on each team.

That way you can be on a team losing by 200 points, but you were top DPS (or some other metric) on the losing team so you get rewarded because you still performed the best within your team despite it losing the match.

On the flip side, you can even be on the winning team but if you haven't done anything you don't get anything, because it wouldn't be about which team wins, it would be about personal performance within the match compared to other team mates.

This way you'd prevent the "throw the towel" mentality as soon as your team starts losing, and AFKers will always get penalties because they haven't done anything, while people that perform always get rewarded even if their team loses.

this is an actually good idea, however this will never be implemented as people would complain on the forums again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Barabbas.8715 said:

People have been trying to get me banned since launch. Still here. Lots of them even claimed to have video evidence. Still here. Cope. 😂😂

<= toxic community that should never be able to play any game, just making everyone their experience worse, kinda pathetic this attitude of yours you so openly admit