Guild wars 3

43 minutes ago, Zera.9435 said:

Speculation can be fun, but it is best when it is because of something that has been confirmed.

I agree that  specuallting is also fun . That's why i am theorizing  the next game's movement ability .

Theories or whacky ideas ,doesn't overshadows any current problems , or hog current resources

Edited by Ryuk.6840
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Zera.9435 said:

The wall walking feature of Blade and Soul was really cool, but the only reason it worked in the context of that game was because it was set in a martial-arts based fantasy world, which took some inspiration from things like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and The House of Flying Daggers, among other fantasy martial arts films. I don't think it would translate well to games like GW2 because of the mount system. If ArenaNet is to take inspiration from other games for their future projects, I hope Blade and Soul is one of the games they get ideas from in terms of gameplay mechanics. The i-frame system alone is worth looking into.

I actually predicted wall walking/acrobatics as a feature for GW2 in the past for EoD (that obviously didn't happen!), so I would like that feature. Implementing full movement physics seems like the next logical step in the GW universe, especially to remain competitive with current games:

GW1: Only flat surface movement, No jumping or swimming or flight.

GW2: 3D motion + Swimming/flight, minimal realistic physical movement mechanics

GW3: GW2 motion + advanced physics mechanics like wall/ladder/rope climbing, (combat) acrobatics, individual body part damage + effects, etc.

Edited by Poormany.4507
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Poormany.4507 said:

I actually predicted wall walking/acrobatics as a feature for GW2 in the past for EoD (that obviously didn't happen!), so I would like that feature. Implementing full movement physics seems like the next logical step in the GW universe, especially to remain competitive with current games:

GW1: Only flat surface movement, No jumping or swimming or flight.

GW2: 3D motion + Swimming/flight, minimal realistic physical movement mechanics

GW3: GW2 motion + advanced physics mechanics like wall/ladder/rope climbing, (combat) acrobatics, individual body part damage + effects, etc.

Who's to say they can't do it in GW2?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Zera.9435 said:

The game engine. It would pretty much have to be overhauled to allow these kinds of complex movement to the point that starting from scratch may be the easier option.

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

18 hours ago, Zera.9435 said:

Anything is technically possible but when developers say it's not possible it comes down to  them not wanting to do it for one or more of the following reasons:

• It's too resource heavy to warrant the cost
  • It has a too high potential of causing bugs
  • It costs too much performance after implementation
  • It doesn't fit with their vision of what the game should be

I'm sure there can be more reasons but all of these reasons are valid

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

Anything is technically possible but when developers say it's not possible it comes down to  them not wanting to do it for one or more of the following reasons:

Thanks. I'm tired of the constant "technically impossible". As long as your engine supports variables, conditionals, loops and that BASIC stuff in your programming language, I highly doubt you can't do nearly ANYTHING. Of course it will be harder if the environment used doesn't do it automatically to you, or your code is a mess. But I'm just not believing they cannot. +100 to your coment, thanks again

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

14 hours ago, Aridonas.7615 said:

The spaghetti code spanning two decades and counting. 🥲

I highly doubt that ArenaNet's programmers are a bunch of amateurs that code so illogically and without a sense of flow that there actually is spaghetti code. I'm positive ArenaNet has coding standards and requires some form documentation for code. The game would be way buggier otherwise. You sure you know what spaghetti code means? Mistakes can be made, sure, but with proper documentation they're easier to fix.

54 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

Yeah I get that, but my question to that dude was more on the rhetorical side to imply that there really is no need for a GW3, especially since the wall walking feature we were talking about is purely hypothetical. Great points, though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

14 hours ago, Poormany.4507 said:

The game engine. It would pretty much have to be overhauled to allow these kinds of complex movement to the point that starting from scratch may be the easier option.

It could be addressed by porting GW2 to Unreal Engine, which is a possibility considering that some GW2 assets have already been ported over. I can't wait to see exactly what it is they're working on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

On 7/21/2024 at 4:55 PM, Zera.9435 said:

Whatever ArenaNet is working on, it's still in the distant future and not really worth discussing this early on.

That MMORPG project has already been past early development stages 3 years ago. If it won't get cancelled, that "distant future" might turn out to be not so distant at all.

• Like 3
  • Confused 6

2 hours ago, Zera.9435 said:

I highly doubt that ArenaNet's programmers are a bunch of amateurs that code so illogically and without a sense of flow that there actually is spaghetti code. I'm positive ArenaNet has coding standards and requires some form documentation for code. The game would be way buggier otherwise. You sure you know what spaghetti code means? Mistakes can be made, sure, but with proper documentation they're easier to fix.

We do already know that this wasn't the case at least in the early GW2 years. Abandonment of dungeons was a good example of this, btw (one that was made worse by whole dungeon dev team leaving Anet very soon after launch, leaving noone who knew what was going on in that mess of a code).

Another such example is why they are unwilling to make race change available - it's, again, because the multitude of interactions tied to that that would have to be addressed weren't documented anywhere. If such was a situation in two completely separate parts of code, you can bet it was the standard for the whole development process.

• Like 5
  • Confused 4

9 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

That MMORPG project has already been past early development stages 3 years ago. If it won't get cancelled, that "distant future" might turn out to be not so distant at all.

And a lot can happen in 3 years. Plans and goals can change, ideas can be scrapped or reworked. There is no telling where anything is right now. Which is why we should wait for more information as it's too early to say right now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

No, i saw their explanations for both examples i've given. And messy code they could no longer fully comprehend was part of that explanation.

No, the code was messy from the beginning. The departure of the devs that worked in it just meant there was noone left that had any idea how it was supposed to work. Which, notice, would not have been the case had there been proper documantation. And as for "understanding" the code, they apparently had enough trouble with it even base bug fixing was an ordeal (and more often than not resulted in some new bugs). One of the dungeon paths (Twilight Arbor Forward Up) was completely removed, because their attempts to fix it resulted in it getting broken to the point where itwas plain unpassable for majority of players. In which state it was left to rot for half a year before it got yanked out.

Well, apparently they either didn't, or the process was heavily flawed. Or the abovementioned example (or the other, with completely undocumented interactions from race and story progression) would not have been a thing.

You are basing your opinions on how you think it should work. I am basing mine on how i know it did work (from statements made by Anet devs in the past). If theory does not match observed reality, it's theory that is wrong, not reality.

I did not know that. Thanks for that. Any chance you can link me to where that was said? I'm curious now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/22/2024 at 8:33 AM, Zera.9435 said:

Agreed that they are not amateurs, as was not even mentioned. Genuine question, but are you not aware of the franchise's developmental history? The coding/engine has always been an issue for the devs, no matter their competency level, as they are still working with the original Guild Wars engine from the early 2000's. There are numerous interviews, press releases, and off-duty comments from different people involved throughout the years noting the difficulty of continuously adding on to a pile of code that spans as far back as the original trilogy.

Try twirling the same plate of noodles around your eating utensil for 20 years while more is constantly dumped on top and tell me that doesn't make consuming/untangling the dish more difficult. 😋

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

43 minutes ago, Aridonas.7615 said:

Agreed that they are not amateurs, as was not even mentioned. Genuine question, but are you not aware of the franchise's developmental history? The coding/engine has always been an issue for the devs, no matter their competency level, as they are still working with the original Guild Wars engine from the early 2000's. There are numerous interviews, press releases, and off-duty comments from different people involved throughout the years noting the difficulty of continuously adding on to a pile of code that spans as far back as the original trilogy.

Try twirling the same plate of noodles around your eating utensil for 20 years while more is constantly dumped on top and tell me that doesn't make consuming/untangling the dish more difficult. 😋

No, I was not aware of that. I did know that the GW2 engine is a heavily modified version of the GW1 engine. I assumed that the 'untangling' was done during the modifications. Guess I expect too much from people. Now I'm just surprised GW2 runs at all.

Edited by Zera.9435
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 7/23/2024 at 5:24 PM, Zera.9435 said:

No, I was not aware of that. I did know that the GW2 engine is a heavily modified version of the GW1 engine. I assumed that the 'untangling' was done during the modifications. Guess I expect too much from people. Now I'm just surprised GW2 runs at all.

Right but you can see why there might be reluctance to touch the engine though?

The people who originally developed it have mostly moved on. Those that remain probably don't have the same knowledge they did at the start. They got something working and moved on to a new part of the engine.

It's incredibly difficult to go back and figure out why something was designed or coded a certain way. There could be no reason for it or there could be a reason and when you modify that section, you break something else. It doesn't make changes impossible, it doesn't make fixing it impossible but it makes these changes and fixes much more time consuming than anyone thinks.

This is a big reason why they're porting to UE5 for GW3 in my opinion. UE5 isn't some magical engine and they will need to add to it. But it provides a base engine that millions of game developers are familiar with. There will be cross-over. Guild Wars 1 and Guild Wars 2 being on a unique engine means anyone new hired needs to come in and learn a substantial amount.

I think this is a good news story. A brand new engine that is standard which they can modify as needed. Arena Net's innovation to make incredible pvp combat like GW1 or incredible open world pve like GW2. And then they can add the world size, the loading screens of UE5 games. Think about how smooth Hogwarts Legacy and Throne and Liberty load screens have been. Those were built on UE4.

I'm hyped. I'm ready. I can't wait to see the game in ~5-6 years. I've had gripes about the move from Guild Wars 1 to Guild Wars 2 but overall I think they've made two amazing games. I can't wait to see a third.

Edited by Leger.3724
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4

6 hours ago, Leger.3724 said:

Right but you can see why there might be reluctance to touch the engine though?

The people who originally developed it have mostly moved on. Those that remain probably don't have the same knowledge they did at the start. They got something working and moved on to a new part of the engine.

It's incredibly difficult to go back and figure out why something was designed or coded a certain way. There could be no reason for it or there could be a reason and when you modify that section, you break something else. It doesn't make changes impossible, it doesn't make fixing it impossible but it makes these changes and fixes much more time consuming than anyone thinks.

This is a big reason why they're porting to UE5 for GW3 in my opinion. UE5 isn't some magical engine and they will need to add to it. But it provides a base engine that millions of game developers are familiar with. There will be cross-over. Guild Wars 1 and Guild Wars 2 being on a unique engine means anyone new hired needs to come in and learn a substantial amount.

I think this is a good news story. A brand new engine that is standard which they can modify as needed. Arena Net's innovation to make incredible pvp combat like GW1 or incredible open world pve like GW2. And then they can add the world size, the loading screens of UE5 games. Think about how smooth Hogwarts Legacy and Throne and Liberty load screens have been. Those were built on UE4.

I'm hyped. I'm ready. I can't wait to see the game in ~5-6 years. I've had gripes about the move from Guild Wars 1 to Guild Wars 2 but overall I think they've made two amazing games. I can't wait to see a third.

I think you have me all wrong. I'm not the guy advocating that they shouldn't upgrade the engine. I'm the guy saying that we don't know for sure if the project is GW3 and we shouldn't jump to conclusions this early on.

Personally I think they're porting GW2 to UE. There are also some who think it could be a standalone game within the Guild Wars franchise. Either way, I'm very glad to see that ArenaNet is making the move to Unreal Engine, and I too am very much excited for what the future will bring.

I have no idea how smooth Hogwarts and Throne load times are since I've never played those games, I'll just have to take your word for it that those games have good load screens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Guild wars 3 for consoles could be good for the game. Bigger population Yes controller may allow for less skills or less buttons, but I think it works out in pve and pvp is unbalanced in most games. Guild wars 2 might of had unbalanced pvp. I say you remake the legendary guild wars 1 for consoles and pc I think you can do it. I see people mapping guild wars 2 to there controllers like ps5 controllers and xbox controllers and I seen someone using a steam deck for guild wars 1. It be more money guild wars 3 for consoles.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't see it bad if they open GW3 for console players too, I think it would be a nice step (besides, I won't miss the "where is my mouse pointer?" feeling). The menu design should be simplified though, but games many console like Final Fantasy 7r, has got many menus, and nobody died for that. 😛

In my case, what I would wish for a GW3 are:

- Modern graphics: The GW2 graphics were "humble" for 2012, (they made like that to bring players from GW1 devices on board), but I really think they are quite outdated for 2024, specially compared with some other games in the market.

- Bigger maps: GW2 has many wonderful zones, although many of them looks small empty plains to go from A to B, I think increasing the map size, they could fit new ideas and locations, while keeping at the same time the iconic areas that marked the loved Tyria territory.

- More interesting constructions: I would like more realistic buildings and interiors, instead of so many terrains and abnormally huge houses. I think dungeons, fortresses and catacombs would be more interesting and memorable if they looks more personal detailled instead of props filling a huge space.

And for the transition with GW2:

- A method to share resources: I would love and wish that there were a way to transfer gems, crafting materials or some QoL purchased services from GW2  -> GW3 and GW3 -> GW2. Of course I don't expect every item of GW2 being available or rewarded in GW3, but I think that being able to share some materials, could make a fun dynamic between both games and open choices for players and value some of the effort with are putting in GW2 ❤️

- Continued content support in GW2: I don't feel nor see that GW3 needs to replace GW2, I think there is space for both, and more if GW2 continue this pace of smaller DLCs instead of expansions, I think they should continue while there remains a meaningful number of players.

Edited by Adngel.9786
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Obviously guild wars 3 is upcoming maybe, but will it run anything like guild wars 1. Then there is the long list of people that want to steal everybody's food to play guild wars 3. Maybe it should be canceled. If guild wars 3 is coming it needs to be for consoles since there always doing exploratory work. I think they just take forever with games to kill everybody off. I think people do stuff that makes no sense. Like dc universe online pvp dead or guild wars 1 being dead. I personally think the world is ruined and everyone should choose to be dead. The fact that some people are corrupt.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 11
  • Sad 1