Homestead garden plots

I am unsure who thought that garden plots would look great right in front of the house. Well, they don't. Unless you have a big amount of mats, there is no way to craft items which would entirely cover those plots and it is really, really, annoying. Would it be possible to at least have the option to move them elsewhere? For instance inside that huge corn field next to the house!?

Anet? Please?!

• Like 6

I personally love the plots, hate the spacing and hate that awful wooden bridge path we have right at the entrance. 

Hopefully the next homestead will be better, or the next update gives as an option to move predefined assets to different locations, I'd be fine if there was an option A, B or C etc. 

When I first saw them in the demo videos, I was like what an odd place to put plots of vegetable growth🤨 Right in front of the house? Whose idea was it?? But I thought that was probably temporary and we will be given an option to move them, but no. And why is there a need for such a big plot of area for each single plant? Our home instance garden plot is the right size. And.... where are my Quaggans from the old home?

Edited by Sugar Min.5834
  • Like 1

I thought it was put there for quick access to the plant stuff.
I haven't figured out where to buy seeds yet so the bare fields bother me too.

The funny thing is that I once accidentally removed the grassland behind the stable. So that works, but not the grass by the waypoint in front of the house.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Sugar Min.5834 said:

And.... where are my Quaggans from the old home?

NPCs from the base 10-80 story don't show up at the homestead, likely due to story variables that differ greatly depending on race (10-30) and whatever paths you picked, such as what order you joined and whatever race you helped.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VaegaVic.6394 said:

Hopefully the next homestead will be better

What next Homestead? I doubt there will be one, at least not within the next 12 months.

It is a half-baked feature, and as I predicted, a mere copy of Guild Halls combined with Home Instances. I didn't really expect any improvements, but now that it's there, I am sad that there are none (except for the update on decoration tools).

I really don't understand why the Homestead area looks so rundown and arid compared to the beautiful Lowland Shore map. No green grass, weird white rocks, no nice beaches, a shabby bridge, rubble by the house... 🤷‍♀️

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

5 hours ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

It doesn't make sense to me why ANet would make player housing, then not let the player move key compnents themselves. Why do they have to be in a fixed location in the first place?
The same could be said of the gathering chests and nodes.

Apparently not being fixed meant it broke thing. The homestead is already pushing things quite hard for such an old game. I am not surprised it's a little fragile in this respect. If they also decide to add other locations, then fixing the plots and nodes will be one less headache to keep on top of

Mind you, the plots are in an odd place. It's one of the very few minor issues I have in an otherwise strong feature

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

What next Homestead? I doubt there will be one, at least not within the next 12 months.

It is a half-baked feature, and as I predicted, a mere copy of Guild Halls combined with Home Instances. I didn't really expect any improvements, but now that it's there, I am sad that there are none (except for the update on decoration tools).

I really don't understand why the Homestead area looks so rundown and arid compared to the beautiful Lowland Shore map. No green grass, weird white rocks, no nice beaches, a shabby bridge, rubble by the house... 🤷‍♀️

The other day I was just talking to someone who invited me to see her beautifully decorated homestead (indoor). We were talking about why everything in the open field is so 'orange'. The grass could be green and tall with patches of colourful flowers scattered all over the field. It would made the place looks much much more beautiful (like IoR or Grothma Valley). Instead, we get orange and yellow dried grasses, white mountains with orange top (and they are all at the edge of the instance with no depths to explore). The place is liked autumn all year round 😣 And what is with the red ground and wooden paths? Even our rivers are underwhelmed, look at the ones in Lowland Shores.

This is why I am not motivated to do much decorating.

Edited by Sugar Min.5834
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

It can't be that bad when people are making stunners like this

I saw these and they are wonderful, but the pillar moss, for instance, needed for the hobbit house requires 2 reclaimed metal plates each for crafting. Kuddos for that person, but few people will have that many reclaimed plates in their bank.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, VaegaVic.6394 said:

I personally love the plots, hate the spacing and hate that awful wooden bridge path we have right at the entrance. 

Hopefully the next homestead will be better, or the next update gives as an option to move predefined assets to different locations, I'd be fine if there was an option A, B or C etc. 

That's all I am asking, to have the choice to move them, as I am fully aware that we each have different tastes 😅

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I'm sure there will be upgrades and such. And more decorations. If we have the option to actually move stuff around, we can always build a house that we like from scratch.

14 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

It can't be that bad when people are making stunners like this

I am certain the building looks terrible from the inside, because it is a mossy pillar you must use for the Hobbit housing, rotated by 180°, so the actual pillars will stick into the building when you look inside. Not very desireable and just a testimony of of how limited our current options are.

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I am certain the building looks terrible from the inside, because it is a mossy pillar you must use for the Hobbit housing, rotated by 180°, so the actual pillars will stick into the building when you look inside. Not very desireable and just a testimony of of how limited our current options are.

It looks good actually and if you scroll down the replies there is a picture of the inside.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1fdlai4/my_hobbit_homestead/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web3x&utm_name=web3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, marquise.8059 said:

I saw these and they are wonderful, but the pillar moss, for instance, needed for the hobbit house requires 2 reclaimed metal plates each for crafting. Kuddos for that person, but few people will have that many reclaimed plates in their bank.

You don't need to already have them in your bank, you can rather easly get them when you decide you need them for something (like crafting that decoration). I don't understand what your issue with this is.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I only posted the outside pics. There are some phenomenal inside pics being shown around as well.

Whilst there are improvements I am sure needed, they are minor. The versatility and imagination coming out of the feature is way beyond expectations for the implementation of a feature retroactively in a 12 year old game. We should be incredibly lucky we got it anywhere near this good

56 minutes ago, marquise.8059 said:

Plates aren't too hard to get in Verdant Brink and other HoT maps, especially given they are used for quite a few things in HoT and also a currency exchange for the Gift of Craftmanship

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

You don't need to already have them in your bank, you can rather easly get them when you decide you need them for something (like crafting that decoration). I don't understand what your issue with this is.

My issue is that maybe I don't want to spend hours to get 3 gazillions plates in order to copy someone else's homestead?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, marquise.8059 said:

Finally a use for all those years of matriach camping.

4 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I really don't understand why the Homestead area looks so rundown and arid compared to the beautiful Lowland Shore map. No green grass, weird white rocks, no nice beaches, a shabby bridge, rubble by the house...

Guess you are meant to make it pretty.

I like its barren look and orange hue. The lack of wild animals is what disturbs me, looks dead.

Hope the future will bring us something to add more life to it.

3 hours ago, Lucy.3728 said:

Guess you are meant to make it pretty.

I would love to, but I don't have the means (yet?) for the environment at least. I can't plaster the whole area with turned over mossy pillars to simulate green grass -- that would not only look fake, but it would also quickly exceed the object limitation 😅 on all the uneven surfaces and then make placing other objects a pain in the behind.

They should have added all the Lowland Shore textures on release and not have us wait for another nine months. Or, worst case scenario, those will never become available for Homestead crafting and we are stuck with this arid look. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, marquise.8059 said:

My issue is that maybe I don't want to spend hours to get 3 gazillions plates in order to copy someone else's homestead?

Other than having ability to pick it form VB chest, the faster way involves simply buying rare reclaimed weapons and salvaging them for a 100% "chance" to get the plate. Their buy price is around 55-60 silver and that doesn't take into account what you can get back in materials including the usual chance for ectos. It doesn't take long and it's quite easy. You're still free to not want to do it, but I wouldn't say it takes hours to get them at all.

As for the thread itself, I'd say it's a good idea to be able to move the plots somewhere else, even if in reality I don't exactly care about that.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3