HOMESTEAD not new player friendly

my friend was really excited to join me play because of homestead. however, to our realization, alot of the deco items requires some random material from hot, pof, maguuma waste etc....random rare drops.....so she cant just jump into it and play home.....and no she wont be interested this way to go through all that old content to get random rare drops, that's not the way to get someone to stay. at least make all the recipe items for homestead tradable. for a vet like me.....its no problem. not for a new player though...who was successfully marketed to play JW cause of player housing, too bad. 

• Confused 9

If you are a veteran player, you should have known better and tell your friend, because Guild Halls have existed since 2015, and there was no reason to believe that Homestead decoration would work differently.

Also, those drops are not rare, but - like with any other material - you need to play the game in order to acquire it.

As for "old content", that old content is of higher quality than anything we have seen in the past couple of years.

• Like 7
  • Confused 3

Had OP not looked at the decorations for their own homestead before hyping it up to a friend?  Surely you noticed the materials involved for some of them?  

Yes, it utilizes materials from other expansions or returning to those areas to collect them.  That's a good way to get people to do older content.  

No instant gratification for decorating.   Why not play together and buy items off the TP and do metas?  Maybe your friend will discover there is a lot more to the game than playing house.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

If you are a veteran player, you should have known better and tell your friend, because Guild Halls have existed since 2015, and there was no reason to believe that Homestead decoration would work differently.

Also, those drops are not rare, but - like with any other material - you need to play the game in order to acquire it.

As for "old content", that old content is of higher quality than anything we have seen in the past couple of years.

wtf are you on about lol? i should know? lol ok man. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 9

1 minute ago, Farohna.6247 said:

Had OP not looked at the decorations for their own homestead before hyping it up to a friend?  Surely you noticed the materials involved for some of them?  

Yes, it utilizes materials from other expansions or returning to those areas to collect them.  That's a good way to get people to do older content.  

No instant gratification for decorating.   Why not play together and buy items off the TP and do metas?  Maybe your friend will discover there is a lot more to the game than playing house.

dude. the hype for it started after they announce it.....what a pointless thing to say that now.....in what universe would that be an order of how things actually happen

Edited by quake.9023
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8

Homestead? For new players? That thing that you unlock in LAST expansion, that you can reach at level 80, and only if you totally do not care about plot and just ignore previous expansions to jump to this? Homestead is ZERO even available for new players. Even for players that played for years that care about plot.

I've been here roaming for years and I can't go there because I don't want to spoil me and I want to do things right. So no homestead for me.

• Like 4

Given Janthir Wilds isn't a new story (it carries on from SoTo), requires level 80 characters and was marketed as part of the mastery system and linked into the story (see the news blogs) and is the latest DLC/mini expansion in an ongoing live game with no new low levels areas, I think we safely say it was intended and advertised to be designed for veteran players and encourages play in all areas of the game

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, quake.9023 said:

dude. the hype for it started after they announce it.....what a pointless thing to say that now.....in what universe would that be an order of how things actually happen

As a veteran, you probably have realized many things in game require components from different modes as well as areas.  

The Kodan decorations do not require anything from HoT or PoF, so start there.  Again, the majority of materials are purchasable on the TP if one wishes to avoid playing content.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Some drops are most certainly rare. Or you buy them off the TP but then they're expensive because...they are rare. Mushroom spores, some lumber cores, jungle grass seeds are expensive items and rarely drop from gathering nodes. Especially the mushroom spores are ridiculous. Even before JW they were more than 10G a piece. Now it's more like 50G a piece. To be able to craft 1 mushroom. Just 1. 

And homestead decoration does work differently. Different ingredients (or numbers of  ingredients) that could not have been predicted before JW's release.

These items definitely need their drop rate changed. Like they did with maguuma lilies and freshwater pearls a few years ago. The items mentioned above need the same treatment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, quake.9023 said:

she cant just jump into it and play home

"Please Anet, give us a house where we could collect all the things we got from the last so many years of playing Guild Wars 2 so we can show off our achievements and hard won battles." - The Players, 2012-2024

"Why can't I just get in and play house?" - A Player, 7 hours ago

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

"Please Anet, give us a house where we could collect all the things we got from the last so many years of playing Guild Wars 2 so we can show off our achievements and hard won battles."

If that is your definition of a Homestead's purpose, it completely failled me, because I put all my hard earned trophies into my personal Guild Hall and have nothing left for the Homestead. 😉 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

I'm not sure you should really expect any mmo to be "new player friendly". They are grindy by nature, designed to appeal to ppls who want to play over years, not hours. GW2 is unique in this regard in that it does not require players to grind endlessly every day, but instead allows ppls to play at their own pace, pursuing goals at their leisure, taking breaks as they like. If that's too much, mmos probs aren't where you should be . . .

To my mind, the least "new player friendly" thing GW2 has done is compress the leveling process, speeding ppls along to endgame content like homesteads instead of allowing them to focus on and enjoy the journey. But I suppose concessions must be made in a game this old with this much content. I can see how it would be overwhelming for new players . . .

But I can relate to the OP's problem as well. I once introduced GW2 to someone who loved it and played for hours on end, if by "played" you mean sat on the character creation screen and made new toons over and over, bc that's literally all they did. They never even entered the tutorial. And I'm sure there's a game out there where all you do is play dress up, and that game would be great for them, just as I'm sure there are games out there where all you do is play house, and that game would be great for OP's friend . . .

• Like 3

I think that in order to provide incentives for veteran players to engage with a variety of content Homesteads were never going to be all that friendly to new players. If a new player could get much out of the system with the level of resources available to them upon joining the game then vets would be done with everything in minutes.

• Like 3