how is untamed with slower rotation in open world

Isopod.4156

I've considered tying untamed instead of soulbeast for power ranger in open world because I do miss having my pet out and about with me but one big thing I struggle with is doing fast paced rotations I'm a skill clicker and everything, I do get by just with poor dps but with untamed from what I understand you have a time limit on ambushes and it has weapon swap +pet swap+ unleash so will my dps just be nonexistent with missing the timing to quickly swap between all of these things? Mainly the unleash I'm worried about because when you pet unleash just to use skills that's time you don't have the stat boost from ranger unleash and I also find combat really hectic so I totally see myself just. Forgetting to swap back occasionally lol.

What prevents you from simply trying it out?

Pet swap is something you don't have to worry frequently, you only need it if a pet is about to die or you want to swap to a cc pet for break bars. But generally swapping pets is a dps loss.

Swapping between unleashed stances as well as weapon swapping are important for quickness untamed and that's probably the best version for open world. But you can also try a full dps build with Ferocious Symbiosis instead of Let Loose, where camping one weapon and ranger unleash should be fine in open world as long the rest of the build is ok.

In the end we don't know, what works for you and what doesn't, so that brings me to my initial question. Why not just try it? Once you have unlocked a spec, you can swap freely between them. If you end up not liking Untamed just go back to soulbeast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zyreva.1078 said:

What prevents you from simply trying it out?

Pet swap is something you don't have to worry frequently, you only need it if a pet is about to die or you want to swap to a cc pet for break bars. But generally swapping pets is a dps loss.

Swapping between unleashed stances as well as weapon swapping are important for quickness untamed and that's probably the best version for open world. But you can also try a full dps build with Ferocious Symbiosis instead of Let Loose, where camping one weapon and ranger unleash should be fine in open world as long the rest of the build is ok.

In the end we don't know, what works for you and what doesn't, so that brings me to my initial question. Why not just try it? Once you have unlocked a spec, you can swap freely between them. If you end up not liking Untamed just go back to soulbeast.

Yes I can try it but I thought why not see what others opinions are before I have the time to get the hero points, it won't hurt. And now I have my answer 😆

Untamed is more survivable than Soulbeast, actually.

Sure you're on a timer for the Ambush ability, but it's 4 seconds, which is quite a bit, even for clicking skills.

Untamed has a few more buttons to utilise, compared to Soulbeast, but I genuinely think you'll have an easier time on it (with a wee bit of practice).

Go for it, have fun! 

If anything, even quickness untamed might be more forgiving than power soulbeast burst.

One thing that makes untamed a lot easier to deal with, if you haven't already, is that you can set any, or even all, of the pet's skills to autocast. If there are any that are specifically CC-oriented or otherwise best used in specific situations you might want to keep those in reserve, but it can reduce your skill activation intensity by a lot if you can just leave the pet to do its thing.

I prefer untamed for open world over soulbeast because it makes harvesting nodes easier: see mobs walking towards you that will aggro on you when they get close enough and F1-F2-F3 and I harvest in peace while my pet eats their faces.   In general, Pet 1-2-3, F5 to unleash ranger, and now I have 4 seconds to hit weapon 1 for the ambush.  That's enough time to trigger at least 1 other ability (a heal, utility, other weapon) and still get the ambush.

Technically the ambush skill icon is different looking for MOST weapons so you should be able to see when you have ambush and if you wait too long see it transition back to normal. 

For me at least, underwater spear and underwater harpoon gun ambush icons look identical to their normal ones and the way I know I got the ambush is that the animation is significantly different (you spin like a drill in the water with spear and harpoon fires a spread).

I must say I play untamed DPS and really like it.  I also tend to play double maces with either Axes or Long Bow.  I realized that I do my best to have high DPS; however, I also play to enjoy.  I can say that the rotation case be hard to follow exactly, but I am good doing what I can.  I may not be the top DPS, I am a happy DPS.

20 hours ago, Mell.4873 said:

A good tip would be to macro the Ambush mechanic on repeat then just go about clicking the other skills. 

That sounds like a ToS violation.  1 button click/key-press is supposed to be 1 action and you aren't supposed to be using 3rd party utilities to allow 1 button click/key press = multiple actions.

3 hours ago, Tinker.6924 said:

That sounds like a ToS violation.  1 button click/key-press is supposed to be 1 action and you aren't supposed to be using 3rd party utilities to allow 1 button click/key press = multiple actions.

It is but I know for a fact people do it for Willbenders all the time. 

• Confused 1

It works on other ranger builds, but make sure to run the Carnivore GM in Wilderness Survival if you go a power build. When you pair that with mace/mace (and/or hammer) and whatever other power/utility weapon you want, you can get some crazy sustain. I just like it more on untamed because it already has a lifesteal shtick on the ambushes and a few of its traits play into that cc depending on unleash grants a boon mechanic. Extremely fun. As you learn it and become more comfortable, you might find that you can play it faster, and when you can, take the quickness GM… untamed go brrrrrrrr.

• Like 1

On a tangent, if you don't mind me asking, have you tried remaping keybinds? 
I feel like the originals are horrible, no one wants to stretch their hands to get to number 8 or F5... 

Personally I use the original 1~5 for weapon skills but changed all the rest:
T for heal skill 
E-R-F-G for utilities 
Z-X-C-V-B for F1~F5

Im only asking because it might feel annoying to alternate unleash ranger/pet and then use ambush or pet skills, since those are not very close to the unleash button

4 hours ago, Rocker.2906 said:

On a tangent, if you don't mind me asking, have you tried remaping keybinds? 
I feel like the originals are horrible, no one wants to stretch their hands to get to number 8 or F5... 

Personally I use the original 1~5 for weapon skills but changed all the rest:
T for heal skill 
E-R-F-G for utilities 
Z-X-C-V-B for F1~F5

Im only asking because it might feel annoying to alternate unleash ranger/pet and then use ambush or pet skills, since those are not very close to the unleash button

To go with this, I bind most of the oddball ones to my mouse:

Scroll wheel push - Unleash/Leash (F5)

Thumb Buttons - Pet F4, Pet F2

Middle button- Pet F3

Mouse has two other thumb buttons, I use these for utilities 8-9, and CTRL + Button = Pet swap

Then rest is on keyboard in easily reachable places--weapon swap remains on ~ but have like weapon stow on caps, and other binds to make everything pretty reachable.  I don't actually use WSAD for movement, so some of my binds are atypical but all reachable on one hand.  

Edited by Gotejjeken.1267