Blissful Skirt is....cringe.

NeutralBurn.3829

36 minutes ago, Kinurak.5307 said:

Good thing i am not American then. Lemme tell ya, people here in europe are pretty chill about letting dudes were woman clothes and vice versa. Sure, it will raise eyebrows here and there, get a few giggles, but we alliw people to be themselves for the most part.

Sounds fun.

May I suggest you try this anywhere east or south of Germany, or perhaps China, Africa, Mid East or South America?

Please keep us updated on your travels 🥰

• Like 1
  • Confused 7

6 minutes ago, Morvran.8265 said:

Sounds fun.

May I suggest you try this anywhere east or south of Germany, or perhaps China, Africa, Mid East or South America?

I'd love to! But sadly i cant travel due to some severe mental and physical illnesses. But i'd love to see the world. 

Anyway, just like nailpolish and make up, clothes are not gendered. I can wear a dress and it wont object. Its people who will object. Therefore gendered clothing is a construct made by people.

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

11 minutes ago, Morvran.8265 said:

Sounds fun.

And as an aside, you names predominantly very religious places. (Which of its own is a problem). Religion and modern day worldviews dont vibe with each other. One seeks to oppress and the other seeks to be free.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

This is turning into a disgusting cesspool, can we lock the thread please @Rubi Bayer.8493? I was pretty sure this was always going to devolve the way it has, but I think it's time to stop platforming that point of view. There's already plenty of air time wasted for it already.

Again, to those concerned, this game has never ever been in favor of your ideals. Neither has Guild Wars 1. This was always a universe about fighting discrimination, hate, separatism, fascism, coming together, embracing difference and learning from one-another. If you understood it any other way, then congratulations, you might find you are also represented in the game as, and able to relate to, a Son of Svanir, or a Purist, or a member of Gaheron Baelfire's Gold Legion, or even as the very charismatic Bangar Ruinbringer himself. If you fail to see how problematic that is, that is fine. You were never supposed to. I will encourage you to find other games that appeal to your particular approach to reality however, as you might find Guild Wars 2 to be particularly chafing outside of the things you happen to find attractive in your own, personal, precious angle.

I will also kindly ask that particular part of the "discussion" to stop claiming they want their needs met. Ostracizing people so you alone can enjoy the world, even when talking about something as trivial as the shape of a single bit of cloth worn by any person is not asking for respect, nor is it a need. It's asking for oppression. Your needs, your human needs, were never threatened. You do ever so love to play the victim, and I will tell you this: that is a good thing. Get used to that feeling. Embrace it. You might be able to finally get one foot in somebody else's shoe. You'll find that this sort of experience does wonders to develop a sense of empathy. Until such time as it does happen however, as said so elegantly before me, "off you pop".

Edited by Dotveg.5108
Rephrased
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

Just now, Morvran.8265 said:

You don't even know my views, but you saw me not agreeing with your aggressive and tyrannical stance and immediagely decided not to tolerate it.

Explain to me how you're any better, and what gives you the divine right to play the moral authority.

A point of view so tyrannical it obviously has taken hold of every single media outlet and is forcing everyone to share it while shutting up every other point of view through violence if necessary, yes.

Truly, this point of view is one of intolerance. How dare they force you to see what you don't want to see, to be in the same room as a man with nail polish and a skirt, to be so utterly traumatized by someone intentionally detailing which pronouns to refer them by? This is scandalous. After all, it's always been healthy to be wary of your neighbor and their odd customs. Surely, it's never done any harm. No discrimination, war, death, violence, blatant violation of law has ever stemmed from it. How could you be in the wrong? It's always been this way. So many people have shared this opinion. Clearly, you must be right.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Your're literally pinging Ruby asking her to close the thread and ban dissent, but the irony of that is lost on you unfortunately.

The point of productive conversation has long gone. People are getting aggressive and unnecessarily combative about a topic that really doesn't fit on a forum about a game.  Both "sides" have spiraled this thread to the point that it getting closed is an inevitable outcome.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, Morvran.8265 said:

You don't even know my views, but you saw me not agreeing with your aggressive and tyrannical stance and immediagely decided not to tolerate it.

Explain to me how you're any better, and what gives you the divine right to play the moral authority.

Its true i do not know your views. But so far you have not given me much insight in them. And btw, its fine to have your opinion, just as its fine that i have mine. Its what makes us all human after all. In the end, what i want to say is: live and let live. If you feel offended by a few pixels or by seeing people wear what makes them happy, you have better things to do then be upset about them. I dislike  religion, i can choose to harress each and every religious person, or i can choose to just, live and let live. Same applies here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

16 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

A skin in a video game triggers you so hard that you go full mental, that’s all I need to know 

I wasn't even going to comment originally, just saw the way you dogpile on anyone who wants to get a discussion going, and Ruby encouraging it. That's what gets me going, not the skin. The arrogance and gaslighting. Sad to see what the community's becoming.

• Like 3
  • Confused 7

I wasn't even going to comment originally, just saw the way you dogpile on anyone who wants to get a discussion going, and Ruby encouraging it. That's what gets me going, not the skin. The arrogance and gaslighting. Sad to see what the community's becoming.

Rubi tried to difuse the situation, by reminding everyone that we each have our own preferences. Could better words have been chosen? Probably. There is a discussion going, it just so happens that it is quite a complex social issue and people have strong options about it. On the one hand you have people who are offended, on the other you have the opressed. Is either of them right? Who is to say. In the end, people will voice their opinions and rally behind those who they'll agree with. And seeing this thread, its clear to see that many people rally behond the idea of letting people dress how they want.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

As heated as this discussion is, its a good one to have. It brings forward some issues in the world that need to be adressed. And i wish to thank all people who participate in this thread. I think its important to have this talk about these kind of issues. As we can all learn and grow from it

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

29 minutes ago, Kinurak.5307 said:

And seeing this thread, its clear to see that many people rally behond the idea of letting people dress how they want.

I do appreciate your approach for the record, wish the others were also this mature about things.

I think you may have touched on the root issue with this sentence btw. People who oppose it here aren't telling you what to wear IRL, but people defending it come from a place of wanting to wear it IRL and now their identity is under attack.

The people opposing it probably just don't like how it clashes with the artistic integrity of the game (what remains of it anyway) which I think is a very valid point. It's the people defending it who are bringing their real life baggage into the debate, which I guess is inevitable, since Anet clearly targeted them. But this leads into the debate of why should the devs cater to any IRL trend or group in a fantasy universe, and who decides which groups get catered to. It's a slippery slope and a direction that only creates further division, which they clearly don't care about as long as it makes a few bucks, which is concerning.

Regarding your other point about the forum supporting the skin, of course it does. It's mostly a small echochamber of people who agree with Anet on every level. The others tend to disappear under.. mysterious circumstances. Relying on such skewed data is not a great udea.

Edited by Morvran.8265
  • Like 1
  • Confused 6

6 minutes ago, Morvran.8265 said:

I think you may have touched on the root issue with this sentence btw. People who oppose it here aren't telling you what to wear IRL, but people defending it come from a place of wanting to wear it IRL and now their identity is under attack. [...]

The people opposing it probably just don't like how it clashes with the artistic integrity of the game (what remains of it anyway) which I think is a very valid point. It's the people defending it who are bringing their real life baggage into the debate, which I guess is inevitable, since Anet clearly targeted them. But this leads into the debate of why should the devs cater to any IRL trend or group in a fantasy universe, and who decides which groups get catered to. It's a slippery slope and a direction that only creates further division, which they clearly don't care about as long as it makes a few bucks, which is concerning.

Ah, yes, of course, artistic integrity. I'm sure that's what's causing you to call people fanatics over a virtual skirt. I wonder, were you also upset about the artistic integrity when the two-piece swimwear released? Was that a slippery slope for you then, or did you feel like they were catering to the proper people that time around?

Edited by Dotveg.5108
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Morvran.8265 said:

I do appreciate your approach for the record, wish the others were also this mature about things.

I think you may have touched on the root issue with this sentence btw. People who oppose it here aren't telling you what to wear IRL, but people defending it come from a place of wanting to wear it IRL and now their identity is under attack.

The people opposing it probably just don't like how it clashes with the artistic integrity of the game (what remains of it anyway) which I think is a very valid point. It's the people defending it who are bringing their real life baggage into the debate, which I guess is inevitable, since Anet clearly targeted them. But this leads into the debate of why should the devs cater to any IRL trend or group in a fantasy universe, and who decides which groups get catered to. It's a slippery slope and a direction that inly creates further division, which they clearly don't care about as long as it makes a few bucks, which is concerning

Regarding your other point about the forum supporting the skin, of course it does. It's mostly a small echochamber of people who agree with Anet on every level. The others tend to disappear under misterious circumstances. Relying on such skewed data is not a great udea.

For some people the game is the only safe space they have. So i understand why they defend it so vehemently. As long as we all remember to that we all are human, and we all have our do's and dont's, any discussion can be constructive. Its important for a game to create a safe space where people can be themselves, even for just a little. Some people IRL cant be themselves for many reasons. So i think its beautiful that the game allows them to dress they way they feel comfortable with.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Dotveg.5108 said:

Ah, yes, of course, artistic integrity. I'm sure that's what's causing you to call people fanatics over a virtual skirt. I wonder, were you also upset about the artistic integrity when the two-piece swimwear released? Was that a slippery slope for you then, or did you feel like they were catering to the proper people that time around?

People made the same threads complaining about swimwear, cargo shorts and paper bag helms so yeah.

• Like 3
  • Confused 5

The red sylvari who cosplay as skinless humans are rather disgusting to me.  A very simple cosplay. Be a red sylvari, wear only a mask, and wield a machete, that is usually it.   The concept itself is revolting to me, I despise that particular horror creature.
I tell them that they look impressive because I am showing off my fashion as well. 
We could both give insincere complements to each other.  It doesn't matter. We each like the way our own toon looks.  We each say supportive things to the other person.   
I know that my toon looks good and that some of the complements I get from others are genuine.   
If some players want to pretend to be a flayed humans then I am not going to stop them. 
With Halloween quickly approaching I know that particular sylvari cosplay is going to become common again.  I will deal with it.  If I can have mine then they can have theirs.  

Edited by Zebulous.2934
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• ArenaNet Staff

I'm going to go ahead and close this thread--everyone has had their say and it's beginning to go in circles. 

I do want to say thanks to all of you who contributed constructive, informative, and thoughtful posts to the thread, your posts were interesting and appreciated!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4