What Should I Do ?

Michael Conrad.6704

in WvW, I am constantly neutralized by stealthy attacks from behind. The attack is so swift and absolute that I am down and virtually dead within a fraction of a second. I would like some way to counter this, even if it is just to make it a fight and not an instant K.O. Quickly, my Ascended Armor is Marauder. and my attributes are :Power 2461.......................................Dragonhunter (0 Zero)Tough. 1102......................................Armor 2373Vitality 1638......................................Health 18025Precis. 2141.........................................Crit. Ch. 189%Ferocity 592........................................Zero's for the rest (except magic find)Zero's for the rest.I am pretty sure I am a sitting duck and there's not a thing that can be done for me unless I am prepared for an attack. However, what combination of skills can lead to such a devastating assault. If I knew at least this much, I might be able to make a fight of it.Thanks !

Mesmer and thief are usually responsible for those out of nowhere bursts. They both have stealth, teleports, and strong burst.

Nothing short of passive defense is going to help you survive a more or less instant death. However, if you survive the initial assault, quick heals, blocks, and invuln can buy you time to recover. From there its on you to think quickly and turn the fight around.

I am pretty sure I am a sitting duck and there's not a thing that can be done for me unless I am prepared for an attack. However, what combination of skills can lead to such a devastating assault. If I knew at least this much, I might be able to make a fight of it.Thanks !

On your chatbox you should have a combat log tab. This will show you what killed you. Look for the attacks that hit you before you were invulnerable (this is where you went down).

thanks everyone The combat log is something I have never used. Like I said I am not a great gamer but the combat log will go a long way towards making me a better gamer. I can't wait to start using it :) . Thanks for the other tips too and to answer some of your questions, I am just a roamer that does best roaming with 2 to 3 other players.

IMHO, from someone that play medium armor classes.

in general, for Roaming... 2-3 ppl.Tough. 1102 and Vitality 1638 is a little low. i recommend invest in different Jewelry and rings. If you can get Ascended that way you can switch them to different character.

I think you should have at least close to 20k HP.

Also, if you cannot react fast enough when someone burst, OR, just get 1-2 shots due to lack of toughness. I would say you need to make minor adjustment on your traits and have more than one Utility skills that lets you escape or not take damage for brief moment.

I run a similar setup on my DH in virtually full marauders but with Durability runes using the old-school meditation build although depending on what I encounter I switch up a few skills here and there (take more condi cleanse if you're running into mesmers or thieves running those nasty builds). I tend to switch between GS and LB weapons if I find getting into melee is too risky (the longbow can deal with those who kite you etc). Don't expect to win every fight, DH has it's counters and PoF brought a lot of power-creep and boon removal. I tend to keep away from most scourges or anything obnoxious that I know will overwhelm me; try and find a roaming buddy or join the small-scale scene if you find yourself getting 'ganked' by 3+ enemies.

Hope that helps.

@Michael Conrad.6704 said:thanks everyone The combat log is something I have never used. Like I said I am not a great gamer but the combat log will go a long way towards making me a better gamer. I can't wait to start using it :) . Thanks for the other tips too and to answer some of your questions, I am just a roamer that does best roaming with 2 to 3 other players.

The combat log is generally useless excepting to determine 'obvious' things like class, general hits, etc. Alot of combat events aren't in the combat log and you will likely find the numbers you see on screen don't even match what the combat log shows (especially in WvW) so it can be difficult to match events. YMMV.

You're better off looking up a WvW oriented build for your class on metabattle, qtfy, or from your class forums (Marauder gear seems an odd choice for Guardian but I don't play it often so I'm speaking from limited experience) then focusing your initial orientation strictly around surviving. (i.e. for me on Mesmer if I'm roaming around and one of them pesky thieves pops up to cut me, I know how to avoid/negate some/all of their initial burst, or, to run like scared rabbit - once you know exactly how your build does the same, you'll be able to practice it).

Archived