(Suggestion) The Apple Tag

This is just my suggestion from my love of gw2 games and i really do. The apple tag, from what i heard and see, and from what people have done with it, have some (or maybe many) of its credibility as mentor. What if there is a way to increase the credibility and maybe the prestige (for the person who use the apple tag) on the new player like having a visible title or rank on the apple tag. For example, 3 Star Helpful, gain from people giving to like 200 thumbs-up because the player is helping new player in the map/instance and so on. With this system, maybe there will be more people helping new player (since what i heard too, gw2 have a poor tutorial system) while at the same time, making the starting area very lively since many veteran will be more motivated to visit the area now since perhaps there is a rewards link with the apple tag.

The mentor tag, like the commander tag is just a portable map marker. It's useful for showing where events and things are, but nothing else.

Helpful players are self evident, whether they have the tag turned on or not. When I'm on my free account I can't use the tag but it doesn't mean I've forgotten everything I know about how to play and progress and doesn't change my answers to people's questions. (Unless they ask where something is, then I can't say "on my tag".)

Likewise unhelpful players don't become better because (under your system) they persuaded their 300 person Guild to spam vote anything they said as helpful and maxed out the stars or whatever.

Especially when there isn't a clear answer, like if someone asks for the best build for their profession the fact that one person has 3 stars doesn't make their answer better than someone who can't turn on the tag at all. That person may be answering entirely based on what they like playing or on out dated information.

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Ayakaru.6583 said:Credibility: buy the actual commander tag.No one is gonna dish out 300 gold for a gimmick they're not gonna use (for its intended purposes).

i see no credit in buying something that expensive, i don't take anyone serious with a stupid arrow on their head. (beside ang that is)

It means they went through the effort to be taken seriously and you proclaim you don't take them seriously?

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Ayakaru.6583 said:Credibility: buy the actual commander tag.No one is gonna dish out 300 gold for a gimmick they're not gonna use (for its intended purposes).

i see no credit in buying something that expensive, i don't take anyone serious with a stupid arrow on their head. (beside ang that is)

I used 300 gold I made from presents this wintersday to get the commander tag so people would take me seriously actually.Many times I've been in a map trying to get people to do an event or meta and without the tag people never came or join.

Got the tag and the times I've used it gotten almost 50 people to join.I've gotten 50/50 once.

So I say it's working how I wanted it to work.

Of course I find it expensive and after Wintersday is gone I will never get that 300 gold back quickly (might take me a few months) but at least it will help me in the long run.

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

It means they went through the effort to be taken seriously and you proclaim you don't take them seriously?

spend 300g for an arrow on their head, if something can be called ridicules then it's that.

@sorudo.9054 said:

spend 300g for an arrow on their head, if something can be called ridicules then it's that.

I’ll keep you in mind next time I lead metas and bounties

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

I’ll keep you in mind next time I lead metas and bounties

you mean the thing i don't give a crap about, be my guest.

@sorudo.9054 said:

The "arrow on their head" is more than just a marker for people to follow. It gives access to large squads, special markers/tags to organize and notate objectives for events/wvw, initiating ready checks, the ability to create sub-commanders (lieutenants and subgroups), the ability for a commander to view supply on those nearby in the squad... etc. I only paid 100g for mine, back in the day, but 300g is still well worth the tools that it gives you access to. As a status symbol or symbol of commitment though? No... not really. 300g can be made easily in an afternoon if you know what you're doing.

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

IMO it takes more serious effort to grind out the Mentor tag. You can buy the commander one with a credit card and still have no idea how to play the game. :/

@GreyWolf.8670 said:

IMO it takes more serious effort to grind out the Mentor tag. You can buy the commander one with a credit card and still have no idea how to play the game. :/

Not really. If you buy HoT or PoF you get a level 80 boost, and then you just need 635,000XP and 1 mastery point (which can be obtained from Mastery Insights - basically get to that point and press F, or low level story instances).

Sure you can't just buy it immediately, but I wouldn't call it 'serious effort' either. It's probably the first mastery most people get, that or gliding.

With the commander tag I always view it as you get the same amount of respect back as you put into it. That does not mean treating it as a glory tag. Pick something (part of the game, a particular map, maybe an event) and become as good as possible in it. Wear the tag there and help others. Just do NOT wear it somewhere where you do not know what you are doing. For example, I tag up when needed in general PVE and the labyrinth. I do not tag up in WVW.

Heh, so much fuss.The mentor and commander tags mean nothing but what the person using them makes them mean.

There are people wearing the commander tag who have worked long and hard to be expert and to share their expertise. They have my respect, not for wearing the tag, but because of what they do when they are wearing it. Sadly, there are some people who only wear the tag to show off that they have one and/or lord it over others. There are some people who have the expertise but are terrible at leading or organizing, And others who don't really know what they are doing, but are good at getting people organized and working together, so it often works out as long as enough people in the group know what to do.

I bought a tag myself, but generally only use it to flag an ongoing event in maps where people are looking for events, which is also what I see most mentor tags used for. At some point I might use it in a meta just because of the 'What, there's no tag for West?' kind of attitude.

Archived