6 Years of GW2 - Where do we go from here?

Arnox.5128

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:The ONLY reason Guild Wars 2 was created instead of continuing Guild Wars 1 is because the company wanted to create content they couldn't create using the Guild Wars 1 game engine. That's not the case with Guild Wars 2. I'd be extremely surprised if we only got one more expansion. The game is going strong, it's still making money and expansions are more cost effective than making a whole new game. I strongly suspect this game will hang around another 3-4 years minimum. Making a new MMO today isn't generally something people want to invest in, but keeping an existing one in expansions is much cheaper.

But isnt the GW2 engine based on the same one that GW1 was built on?? hence why they are still restricted on certain things, where GW2 is going strong at the moment, technology is vastly pulling away from what this game should beable to do, ( I have a $1000+ GFX card and yet the CPU does most of the work ) and as other games are making full use of that technology GW2 will look rapidly dated, I would really hope that if Anet decide to go with a GW3 in the future they don't look at it and go we want people who have 3-5 year old systems now to run it, but make full use of the technology, this game looks great right now, but imagine what it could look like, and what they could do.

That said, the GW2 GFX/artist teams are some of the best ive seen, and this game looks amazing at 1440p

@Ok I Did It.2854 put it like this the player base in this game 99.9% only spend a $100.00 on a video card at best and can not under stand or get the idea at all . what it is like to play on a $1,000.00 video card or much less even own a $1,000.00 cpu or spend $300.00 on a case or spend $200.00 for a good nic card . or spend $300.00 for the best cooling system out their . with the system over clocked to far as they can get it before shut down .

most the player base only has $100.00 video cards and $50.00 cases with cheap fans and cheaper memory and still try to run windows XP . and the tend to spend only $10.00 for case fans . even tho they can spend $10.00 for the best fans on the market they never ever do that !!!

this is another thing next to DX and 4K the player base does not get it !!! BUT the ones out their that have these good systems GET IT and want to enjoy their INVESTMENTS playing their favorite FREE MMO . on their $2,000.00 to $5,000.00 and they should have that right to do so with out being stuck in the stone ages

and all we can do is set back and hear them say how great the game is for them on their windows XP systems . and how they think they do not need to upgrade their bunt MELTED bread makers ;) ;) :p :p

Yes and no. I agree that people want the best ability for their systems. However wow still being the most majority of mmo gaming. Has probably one of the worst graphic looking mmos out their but, it’s still number one. So I really don’t think that is a valid point. Yes graphics would be amazing but it’s always about the game. Minecraft being an ugly pixilated game still one of the best games. Terraria ugly game still a good game. Mario 64 ugly game but still by far the best Mario game ever made.

When it comes to graphics it should be icing on the cake rather then other things. Graphics isn’t a necessity and hopefully most players understand that. It’s always about the game and always will be. Gw2 will be fine IF they keep on making goow

If people wanting gw3 cause of graphics .... they aren’t true gamers. True gamers will play a freaking game because it’s fun. Whether it’s ugly or not.wvery clear you have no understanding at all of what it is to play wow and ESO fall out over watch in #4K . while you can not do that with Guild War2 it looks like trash . with out the need improvements . and this is why guild wars 2 will stay dyeing and end up like city of hero's

Guild Wars 2 is not dying. Every site that reviews/lists MMOs lists it as one of the most popular MMOs. Below WoW and Final Fantasy XIV but pretty much above or on a par with everything else. Did you know minecraft is one of the most popular games of all time. It's not because of the graphics. And playing WoW in 4k, graphically isn't better than Guild Wars 2 in my opinion (and I'm guessing most peoples). There is more to a game than just graphic quality.

Judging from many of your posts, you don't like this game because it's not a different game. But no one paying attention can say this game is dying.

I've played tons of games with great graphics that suck. I've played tons of games with mediocre graphics that rock. And this game doesn't have mediocre graphics. It was created with a painterly style, so that it would age well intentionally and it has. Most people that come here from other games talk about how beautiful this game is.

People have been saying stuff like this since 2-3 months after this game launched. It wasn't accurate then, and it's not accurate now. Stay tuned for a couple of years and you'll see.

do not understand what it is your trying to say their could you maybe try it word another way . . :o :o oh been playing since guild wars beta days .

I'm replying to what you've said. You claim other games look better because you can run them in a higher setting. I'm saying that looks don't make a game, that some of the most popular games don't have the best graphics.. You always claimed the game is dying. Not sure how anyone paying attention can make a statement like that.

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:The ONLY reason Guild Wars 2 was created instead of continuing Guild Wars 1 is because the company wanted to create content they couldn't create using the Guild Wars 1 game engine. That's not the case with Guild Wars 2. I'd be extremely surprised if we only got one more expansion. The game is going strong, it's still making money and expansions are more cost effective than making a whole new game. I strongly suspect this game will hang around another 3-4 years minimum. Making a new MMO today isn't generally something people want to invest in, but keeping an existing one in expansions is much cheaper.

But isnt the GW2 engine based on the same one that GW1 was built on?? hence why they are still restricted on certain things, where GW2 is going strong at the moment, technology is vastly pulling away from what this game should beable to do, ( I have a $1000+ GFX card and yet the CPU does most of the work ) and as other games are making full use of that technology GW2 will look rapidly dated, I would really hope that if Anet decide to go with a GW3 in the future they don't look at it and go we want people who have 3-5 year old systems now to run it, but make full use of the technology, this game looks great right now, but imagine what it could look like, and what they could do.

That said, the GW2 GFX/artist teams are some of the best ive seen, and this game looks amazing at 1440p

@Ok I Did It.2854 put it like this the player base in this game 99.9% only spend a $100.00 on a video card at best and can not under stand or get the idea at all . what it is like to play on a $1,000.00 video card or much less even own a $1,000.00 cpu or spend $300.00 on a case or spend $200.00 for a good nic card . or spend $300.00 for the best cooling system out their . with the system over clocked to far as they can get it before shut down .

most the player base only has $100.00 video cards and $50.00 cases with cheap fans and cheaper memory and still try to run windows XP . and the tend to spend only $10.00 for case fans . even tho they can spend $10.00 for the best fans on the market they never ever do that !!!

this is another thing next to DX and 4K the player base does not get it !!! BUT the ones out their that have these good systems GET IT and want to enjoy their INVESTMENTS playing their favorite FREE MMO . on their $2,000.00 to $5,000.00 and they should have that right to do so with out being stuck in the stone ages

and all we can do is set back and hear them say how great the game is for them on their windows XP systems . and how they think they do not need to upgrade their bunt MELTED bread makers ;) ;) :p :p

Yes and no. I agree that people want the best ability for their systems. However wow still being the most majority of mmo gaming. Has probably one of the worst graphic looking mmos out their but, it’s still number one. So I really don’t think that is a valid point. Yes graphics would be amazing but it’s always about the game. Minecraft being an ugly pixilated game still one of the best games. Terraria ugly game still a good game. Mario 64 ugly game but still by far the best Mario game ever made.

When it comes to graphics it should be icing on the cake rather then other things. Graphics isn’t a necessity and hopefully most players understand that. It’s always about the game and always will be. Gw2 will be fine IF they keep on making goow

If people wanting gw3 cause of graphics .... they aren’t true gamers. True gamers will play a freaking game because it’s fun. Whether it’s ugly or not.wvery clear you have no understanding at all of what it is to play wow and ESO fall out over watch in #4K . while you can not do that with Guild War2 it looks like trash . with out the need improvements . and this is why guild wars 2 will stay dyeing and end up like city of hero's

Guild Wars 2 is not dying. Every site that reviews/lists MMOs lists it as one of the most popular MMOs. Below WoW and Final Fantasy XIV but pretty much above or on a par with everything else. Did you know minecraft is one of the most popular games of all time. It's not because of the graphics. And playing WoW in 4k, graphically isn't better than Guild Wars 2 in my opinion (and I'm guessing most peoples). There is more to a game than just graphic quality.

Judging from many of your posts, you don't like this game because it's not a different game. But no one paying attention can say this game is dying.

I've played tons of games with great graphics that suck. I've played tons of games with mediocre graphics that rock. And this game doesn't have mediocre graphics. It was created with a painterly style, so that it would age well intentionally and it has. Most people that come here from other games talk about how beautiful this game is.

People have been saying stuff like this since 2-3 months after this game launched. It wasn't accurate then, and it's not accurate now. Stay tuned for a couple of years and you'll see.

do not understand what it is your trying to say their could you maybe try it word another way . . :o :o oh been playing since guild wars beta days .

I'm replying to what you've said. You claim other games look better because you can run them in a higher setting.

yup sure did also think every one should be able to do that

I'm saying that looks don't make a game, that some of the most popular games don't have the best graphics.

that is only your idea just one of many ideas in any game . all are different none are never the same

. You always claimed the game is dying.:p :p :p oh vayne you got some of the most strangest ideas but will say when the next new game like far cry 5 comes out in the next few months . people who like it will take a break from this and come back when their is something for them

Not sure how anyone paying attention can make a statement like that.

:p :p :p thanks for the good laugh their vayne :p :p :p

I'm replying to what you've said. You claim other games look better because you can run them in a higher setting.

I'm saying that looks don't make a game, that some of the most popular games don't have the best graphics.

that is only your idea just one of many ideas in any game . all are different none are never the same

. You always claimed the game is dying.:p :p :p oh vayne you got some of the most strangest ideas but will say when the next new game like far cry 5 comes out in the next few months . people who like it will take a break from this and come back when their is something for them

Hope when the next expansions come out, you can come back to the forums and say the same sorts of stuff you've been saying for years. This game has many good years ahead of it.

@Vayne.8563 said:

Hope when the next expansions come out, you can come back to the forums and say the same sorts of stuff you've been saying for years. This game has many good years ahead of it.

well vayne or is it waynze . i hope you too can be doing the same and saying the same stuff about the economy . them posts back in the day you use to make was very funny . but i think you was most funny over on reddit :p :p :p

I like leveling in GW2. The worlds are fun and the experience is one of best I have seen in mmos. It also can be easily skipped all together.

My issues with the game are with the recent content. I think the game direction in story and map design has been terrible in PoF and LS4. Class balance is in the worst shape since in started playing the game.

Other than, I wish they would improve the graphics. They are not bad by any means, though I would love the option of better graphics.

@masskillerxploit.2165 said:Gw2 started out good, but then shamelessly turned into a cash grab.

Optional vanity and convenience items that you can equally earn in the game often by simply playing and completing the main story is not a cash grab. Vanity items do not give you an advantage over other players. Convenience items do not give you an advantage over players. You are wrong.

@"WARIORSCHARGEING.2637" said:guild wars was made by NC soft and not by ArenaNet as ArenaNet was not even a company then when guild wars came out and to compare the two is a insult to Guild wars and NC soft even tho it owns ArenaNet

Soooooooo Many people don't even realize this! I remember When Arena Net joined the team and people saying that they would never stick around for "another" ArenaNet game. I was new to MMO's at the time but, I didn't know what or why people would say and feel that way. I just can't believe how...insanely muffed up things became when they were left with the game. Things were fine when NCSoft still had the reigns but it has been nothing but disaster after they left and stopped supervision.

@Taltevus.3289 said:

@"WARIORSCHARGEING.2637" said:guild wars was made by NC soft and not by ArenaNet as ArenaNet was not even a company then when guild wars came out and to compare the two is a insult to Guild wars and NC soft even tho it owns ArenaNet

Soooooooo Many people don't even realize this! I remember When Arena Net joined the team and people saying that they would never stick around for "another" ArenaNet game. I was new to MMO's at the time but, I didn't know what or why people would say and feel that way. I just can't believe how...insanely muffed up things became when they were left with the game. Things were fine when NCSoft still had the reigns but it has been nothing but disaster after they left and stopped supervision.

Seriously, get your facts straight. GW was made by ArenaNet. NCSoft is only the publisher. We should actually be happy that ArenaNet seems to be independent in developing the game. If NC had to say something, the game would easily die in the near future. Just look at NCs self-developed games: Blade & Soul is dead due to P2W-elements and the lack of worthwhile content. Aion is dead due to the same factors, an incredible RNG-based gear-progression-treadmill and of course no balance whatsoever. MxM died some months after launch and all they currently concentrate on are shitty mobile games. Be grateful we have ANet even if some monetization-choices and the current game-design aren't that good.

What I wish for the future: build- and gear-templates, better game-design as in returning to HoT-event-structure (content where people actually have to play actively and not just mindlessly participate in Zergfests like Palawadan), class-balance especially in sPvP, more Armor-sets, character-customization-options, etc. pp.

When it comes to graphics it should be icing on the cake rather then other things. Graphics isn’t a necessity and hopefully most players understand that. It’s always about the game and always will be. Gw2 will be fine IF they keep on making good additives , story elites. Maps, etc. if they don’t continue we will finish and leave but making gw3 because people think it needs a graphic update is bull. Gw2 doesn’t need a graphics update. If anything they just need a bug defrag system.

If people wanting gw3 cause of graphics .... they aren’t true gamers. True gamers will play a freaking game because it’s fun. Whether it’s ugly or not.

very clear you have no understanding at all of what it is to play wow and ESO fall out over watch in #4K . while you can not do that with Guild War2 it looks like trash . with out the need improvements . and this is why guild wars 2 will stay dyeing and end up like city of hero's

I don’t know what I’m talking about? XD. Gw2 can’t be played on 4K? That’s bull. Iv played it on a 4K tv just fine. WOW has ugly graphics compared to ffxiv, Gw2 and eso. ESOs graphics are overrated. They are good don’t get me wrong, but to say that they are the bomb.... no.

You say idk what I’m talking about yet u don’t state facts to refute them. Wow is an ugly looking game to this day. ESO is not the best looking ether. And I have done 4K on gw2 with my Mac. Sorry for your windows pc that can’t use 4K XD. Just try an adapter and see if it works on your 4K tv. And change the screen setting and it works fine.

Sounds like someone’s just angry XD.

Gw2 is fine. And doesn’t need a new graphics engine. If people play Minecraft and don’t trip. And people play wow and don’t trip about graphics. Csgo. Terraria. Then why trip over gw2? U don’t need it. Seems like your a new gamer rather then an actual gamer from old times. And I actually do know what I’m talking about. Have a way better rig then people will understand. So before bashing, put up facts. Thank you very much.

@CETheLucid.3964 said:

@masskillerxploit.2165 said:Gw2 started out good, but then shamelessly turned into a cash grab.

Optional vanity and convenience items that you can equally earn in the game often by simply playing and completing the main story is not a cash grab. Vanity items do not give you an advantage over other players. Convenience items do not give you an advantage over players. You are wrong.

Still looking for those in-game mount skins... Where were they, again?

@otto.5684 said:I like leveling in GW2. The worlds are fun and the experience is one of best I have seen in mmos. It also can be easily skipped all together.

My issues with the game are with the recent content. I think the game direction in story and map design has been terrible in PoF and LS4. Class balance is in the worst shape since in started playing the game.

Other than, I wish they would improve the graphics. They are not bad by any means, though I would love the option of better graphics.

They could reduce the visual clutter and flashes from skills, a few mins of gw2 means a heaadache :\Game needs to offer some sunglasses when a player actually buy the game... to flashy. >_>

@Aeolus.3615 said:

@otto.5684 said:I like leveling in GW2. The worlds are fun and the experience is one of best I have seen in mmos. It also can be easily skipped all together.

They could reduce the visual clutter and flashes from skills, a few mins of gw2 means a heaadache :\Game needs to offer some sunglasses when a player actually buy the game... to flashy. >_>

LS4 took Visual clutter to a whole new level. Forget sunglasses, You needed wielding glasses for that crap.

@otto.5684, I guess conditions are so OP in this game that player gets blinded IRL..

Tks for the warning, that some LS stuff is just that flashy has PoF crap is, it was already one of the reasons i was not buying PoF, this game flashes and skills really give me headaches.And when ur WvW or even small scale and all u see are bright lights and u need to look with atention to try to identiy what skills are being casted trough that bright light....

The main reason I stuck around for gw1 and the earlier stages of gw2 was the pvp. PvP is a mode where you can always play without getting bored because you aren't fighting scripted monsters. They completely screwed up pvp in gw2 and at this point it's basically abandoned. Gw2 has no soul anymore its just a glorified dress up game. Most of my friends quit this game and the ones who came back for the expansion quit after a couple weeks as there isn't anything to keep them around long term

@WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:guild wars was made by NC soft and not by ArenaNet as ArenaNet was not even a company then when guild wars came out and to compare the two is a insult to Guild wars and NC soft even tho it owns ArenaNet

No... you're full of it. ArenaNet was the original company, (originally under the name Triforge, inc before changing their name to ArenaNet)founded by Mike O'Brien and others in 2000, and later aquired by publisher NCsoft in 2002. You are completely and 100% wrong on this. GW1 was ALWAYS made by ArenaNet. My original release game boxes say the same thing.

@"Arnox.5128" said:- Levels 1-79 are pointless and shouldn't exist

While there are some points I agree with and only a few I don't, this is flat out wrong. There is this prevailing attitude that "the game starts at 80" and it's the EXACT same attitude that causes people to burn out and quit playing within months. Most MMOs force you in to levelling quickly to get to the cap because there is no actual gameplay before that point. GW2 by contrast encourages exploration... About 70% of the entire games map is in sub level-80 zones. If I had run through to level 80 as fast as possible instead of leveling my initial character slots about evenly per class to 80, just running around doing things, then I would have burned out on GW2 long before the 4k hours I've been playing it. For the most part, the people that I've spoken to who bother to do all of their leveling in a traditional exploration based way tend to have better longevity with the game overall, because otherwise you're skipping over half of the game. I won't speak for you... maybe you genuinely hate leveling in MMOs and believe that all MMOs should start you at max level always... but don't speak for us either.

@GreyWolf.8670 said:

@"masskillerxploit.2165" said:Gw2 started out good, but then shamelessly turned into a cash grab.

Still looking for those in-game mount skins... Where were they, again?

Here you arehttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Raptor_(mount)https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Springerhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Skimmerhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Jackalhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Griffon_(mount)

Now if you mean where you can find an optional vanity skin that makes your mount look different, please read my initial post again. They're in the gem shop along with most glider skins the utility of which you can earn in the game with zero gem store investment as per mounts. You knew what I'm getting at.

Honestly I feel GW2 is a game with an amazing foundation, but marred by years of continuous slow, problematic development.

That is to say, sure the game is much much better now than it was at release. Release had a ton of amazing things, but still tons of issues to fix. But, over 5 years later, the game should be much better than it is now. The problem is not in that it didn't improve, but that it improves as much as it should have in... say... 2 years. Not 5. If we'd be where we are now in 2015, I'd be quite positive about it. By 2018, the game would be amazing.

As it stands, I'm sort of actively looking for what to play next. Given the sluggish pace of development, the issues plagueing said development, the overall issues I have with the game's design paradigms (accretion over reworking, throw-stuff-until-something-sticks for class-balance and -design, rote repeatable content over freeform exploration, WvW instead of RvR v2.0) and most of all the way it becomes obvious how much the devs struggle with their own game when they talk about bugs or weird behavior or inability to do something quickly... all these issues won't ever get fixed.

The game I feel a MMORPG should be 5y+ down the line cannot exist in GW2, because it took it 5 years to cover 2 years worth of development. By extension it needs 12,5 years to cover the 5 years of improvements it already should have covered, and let's be honest, it's not going to be around that long.

That's ignoring how for class-design in particular, there seems to be a pervasive element of "can't do that", unwillingness to rip of non-functional parts left and right and center (because that's how many of those we have), to make room for new stuff. Maybe it is because of the issues with the code and the engine, maybe it is a management problem, I don't know.

But comparing the post Blizzard just made for WoW class balance in BfA, and that's a game I no longer play and have no intention to return to (and even then, they impress me compared to ANet!), I can't help but feel that GW2 is stuck with the way it is. There's not enough time, money or knowledge to change the problematic aspects, and so only a GW3 could truly fix this.

Of course, I'm hoping that internally, major parts of the team are already working on a GW3. GW2 is, after all, over 5 years old. As MMORPGs take massive amounts of time to produce, it stands to reason they've long started on the successor.

@STIHL.2489 said:GW2 has a lot of cool things, sadly.. it also has a lot of failed ideas. I think that hurts the game overall. I believe if they put out a GW3, one thing they should do is remove unsupported content as opposed to just letting it sit around and be a sore.

So much this. There are corpses and rotting trash everywhere in GW2, and no one ever comes around to clean them up :disappointed:

Archived