6 Years of GW2 - Where do we go from here?

Arnox.5128

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There wont be another game of GW, aka GW3. Have you ever seen any MMOs got not only twice but three games of the same title?

The reason why ANet and NCsoft created GW2 was that they were able to create so much more and how they wanted things to be here than how it was back in GW1.

I am 100% sure there wont be a GW3. That would be so plain dumb whatsoever. If they even did, they would loose half of their playerbase, again.It's the same thing to say "Will there be a WoW2?"

I liked the levels and I am glad they have kept an eternal levelling (Masteries).

Wrong:Hardware support. Geez, really? I think running GW2 on a software renderer gets me further. Come on, even in 2012, who thought "People will have Duo-Cores with 10 GHz"? Or why is the current CPU utilization that ridonculously bad?

RightEverything else. More Asura please! And Charr! Less Salad.

I strongly feel there will not be a gw3. For all the stated reasons above. I strongly feel they are going to go the route of WOW, and just keep doing expansions, and living story. Which honestly I am okay with. I dunno if I would want to redo everything all over again for a gw3.

I do hope however they do optimizations like wow did in the future.

I really hate stats tied to gear, infusions, agony resist. I don't mind having them in a way but the way its implemented bothers me from a GW1 perspective. I would love to be able to just load a build from build templates again. Imagine Commanders pinging builds to there squad and everyone could load them instantly. I don't even experiment with builds much because of how tedious changing out runes, sigils and infusions are. Nobody wants 3 or more armor sets sitting in inventory. Even ascended account bound armor sounds cool so you can swap them between characters until you lose your mind over trying to keep track what's where on each character.

I don't mind unlocking stats through playing the game like crafting or dungeons or drops from sources. I really feel GW2 left pvp like GvG behind. Instead they took Hero battles which was a failure in GW1. Removed heroes and made it 5 man team. Left capture point which I don't think most people like. There is no observer mode for pvp in the way GW1 had.

There’s so much in this game I really don’t think it will end within 5 years. Honestly this game can last till 2025. And maybe ANet doesn’t want to make a gw3. Honestly the graphics is fine. Only thing is the engine probably needs to be defrag to work faster. I mean wow still considered number 1 looks god awful but people still love the graphics so me personally I don’t think gw3 is needed.

As much as what people say. I agree with gw2 just needs more expansions. Because there is no monthly fee, we get slower content. And no one wants to pay of a choice for monthly or a requirement to get more content. But things I think can be added.

Housing. As much as people think it’s not a priority. I’m sorry by my dragon killer who saved the world multiple times can’t get a freakin home? Come on ANet. Gw2 would be much more lovely if people would choose to keep a home. As much as we have guilds. Guilds can not replace your home. There are too many guilds that are not family guilds per se. and so keeping your own space until you do have a family guild, it is needed. I’ve only played 2 years and only found 1 guild that I would actually make a guild home.

Swimming just like ffxiv. After all mmo suppose to have somewhat real life activities. I know it is fake but it suppose to be an illusion of a real world.

Pvp is number 1 however there can still be many things to happen. Capture the flag. Juggernaut. Etc. multiple things to add.

Pvp 1v1 in open world.

Trading with people instead of only having 10 mail messages a time.

Gvg.

Mounts I think made a game changer with 1 skill. But they can add armor. And be able to attack while mounted instead of jumping off.

Sea mounts.Class exclusive mounts.BoatsBigger mounts to ride with multiple peopleMount the air ship. Etc.

As much as I do love gliding I wish they add more things to gliding so the griffin can’t replace it. I like the attacking in bloodstone fen. Why not always have a skill to attack while in air?

Adding gem items to be ubtained as collections instead of buying for gems.

More races to choose.

There’s still missing classes that should be added.

Druid is a class to heal however a monk is better for healing.

A lancer would be nice.

Underwater battling revamped. Adding specific water skills to each class and underwater maps.

There’s so many things that can be added however if these were added it would be a long time till each is added. For each expansion it means to wait at least close to 2 years. Since living seasons take 2 months to dev. And we don’t know how many episodes it can be a while till next expansion. If there’s at least 6 ep of living season 4. That means the least it will be next September till a video on next expansion. However if they decide to add another season after would depend on what arena net wants to do. But expansion 3 will be at least year and a half to be here. So I really doubt 2019.

I honestly will say 2025 if the story completely ends.

If ANet wants to add more story and stay with gw2, that would be better then gw3. Gw3 doesn’t need to happen. Gw2 just needs more content and more things. I mean gw2 just finished mac client couple months ago. So I honestly don’t think gw2 will end in couple years ether. Gw2 was just given new life with pof. Let’s just see what will happen.

Personally, I agree with everything you've listed as "wrong"...The game, in my opinion, was much, much better at release than it is now. The changes since then are NOT fun and are clearly intended only to increase revenue.What can we expect from the future? Let's be honest:

• minor bug fixes
  • more major bug fixes that don't work
  • attempts at bug fixes that instead introduce new bugs
  • bugs that are old bugs re-introduced because old code gets re-used, and ANet doesn't have a clue about configuration management
  • lots of brand new bugs

Forgive me if I'm extremely jaundiced about the promise of improvements to the game, but I'm an old developer, an old lead, and an old chief engineer, and what I see from ANet is symptomatic of the kinds of problems evident in amateur-yet-arrogant development teams. New production requires discipline that isn't apparent in ANet's releases. That discipline isn't there.

@Quarktastic.1027 said:

@WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:guild wars was made by NC soft and not by ArenaNet as ArenaNet was not even a company then when guild wars came out and to compare the two is a insult to Guild wars and NC soft even tho it owns ArenaNet

NCsoft is a publisher, not a game developer. GW1 was developed by Arenanet and published by NCsoft.

oh goodie gum drops !!! you all are really paying keeping tack of what is going on !!! ;) :p :p :3 :3 had to do that to see if you still was in the game :p

@zealex.9410 said:

you really kill me trying to compare BLIZZARD to Guild wars 2 :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :pthe way it stands BLIZZARD OUT RUNS Guild Wars 2 IN TO THE GROUND !! and spits on it !!

heh sub based mmos tent to do that versus p2p ones

yeah really even more so when you played both at the same time :p :p

@WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:

you really kill me trying to compare BLIZZARD to Guild wars 2 :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :pthe way it stands BLIZZARD OUT RUNS Guild Wars 2 IN TO THE GROUND !! and spits on it !!

i guess?

@zealex.9410 said:

i guess?

:o :o :o dang thought every one plays sub based mmos as well as the free ones too :p :p :pnow get out their and go get me and you some more salt and lets rub it back in their faces ;) :p :p :pbeen a good while since i really gave the wvw and pvp game mods a run and need to change it !!! ;) :p :p

OK so after reading all the comments, I'm going to go through all the issues that people have brought up in a sort of Q&A fashion.

Q: Why would we need a Guild Wars 3? Isn't Guild Wars 2 already built to be completely expandable?A: While it is very true that Guild Wars 2 was made to be modular in design and flexible in scope, there are some things that to implement would require a huge rewrite. There have been some times where ANet has been limted by the constraints of their engine. For one, the process of making new weapons and armor seems to be a huge problem for them as it takes so long and requires a lot of work. In a game that thrives on a huge amount of skins and customization, this is, needless to say, very bad for business. I've also heard rumors that GvG was impossible to implement due to engine limitations. And then there's the fact that even though GW2 is six years old, it's making my and others' relatively new PCs dip into really low framerates at max settings. That's pretty ridiculous. Nevertheless, as I said, we still won't see a GW3 for a while. As I said in the OP, probably 2021 at the earliest. Following one last expansion.

Q: Wouldn't a Guild Wars 3 split the fanbase and be generally bad for business?A: Well, it would be very expensive, absolutely. The thing is though, expansions, unless they're SUPER hefty with content and features (and I'm talking like almost a full stand-alone game's worth of features and content here) will not sell or attract nearly as much attention as a new main-entry sequel. GW2 split the fanbase because it was very different in some ways from GW1 and as said above, not all the changes were wanted at all. Assuming that ANet went back to some old design mechanics they abandoned like freely customizable attributes, this would bring some old fans back I'm sure. Although, purely business wise, it's not just about getting the old fans back. A GW3 would get much more attention as I said and would be a way to bring in new fans and new customers than an expansion ever could. Yes, it's a risk. But then, so were mounts. So were masteries. Elite specializations. Etc. Guild Wars 2 itself was a huge risk but we all know how "bad" that turned out. It was so "bad", it made them and is still making them piles of money. What a mistake.

Q: Why get rid of levels 1-79 or the Hero Point grinding or Masteries grinding? I really liked it.A: I actually sympathize somewhat with people who like doing this. Maybe I'll retract what I said somewhat and instead say that they need to have a better way to skip the leveling and the point grinding for people who don't want to do it. A level 80 boost right now costs $25 APIECE. And for people who don't do any sort of PvP, Tomes aren't given with enough regularity to rely on them. And as for the Hero points and Mastery Points, there isn't even a single way to skip that at all. And I do understand that since GW2 doesn't have a sub fee, they need to make their money somehow, but that is just unacceptable in a game where one of the goals is supposed to be less grinding and letting people play how they want to play instead having to reach an arbitrary number of levels/points/etc. just to use the functionality or features or access content that they already paid $45-60 for. There's also the problem of doing the same quests and the same things over and over for each character you want to manually level. Maybe some people still like it, but many others including myself don't want to have to go through the same boring activities for hours and hours and hours on end just to get a toon to the level that they need to use all their abilities and access level-restricted content that they probably already accessed a long time ago with one of their other toons.

• Dynamic Evenets are fine, but heart quests are one of the worst things this game has. They give an overview of what's going on in the area though through a series of tasks which are often trivial, repetitive or just annoying. Even if they're repeatable, most players will only do them on purpose just the minimum required amount of times. The classic quest hub can achieve the same and has the potential to be much more immersive narrative wise.

• Megaservers are a good thing to be able to use, but also introduce many negative side effects, like disallowing cross zone effects and interactions (like what Orr temples used to be), reducing community bounds and guild visibility/notoriety or allowing multi map farms (which might be great for the farmers themselves, but are incredibly unimmersive and potentially dangerous).

• "Skill" based combat works wonders in some areas of the game. In many others, the game is so trivial or so zerg based, that doesn't even matter what kind of combat we have.

• Since Guilds are pretty much pointless outside WvW, Guild Halls are pretty much pointless too.

• Shared "quest rewards" have many pros, which are very obvious, but also many cons.Since most events usually have horrible scaling behaviours, the parts of the Open World game which offer "decent" rewards (the few of them, as reward balance is also absolutely terrible) became zerged, and when things get zerged, as I said earlier, you destroy any interesting combat mechanics the game could have. Everything becomes incredibly trivial and boring. Try to do many of those things alone (if possible) and usually the reward/time/difficulty ratios will change so dramatically that everything starts feeling a waste of time. It's extremely difficult to find any moderately profitable solo activity which also allow you to enjoy the amazing combat system.

• Elite specializations would be awesome if we had more build defining options and good balance. Since there are very few options on top of a terrible balance, elite specilizations are meh.

• It doesn't matter how many ways to earn XP we have, because XP has very little value. You can monetize spirit shards, true, but most methods are either barely worth the time invested in the mystic forge or just too risky.

• Downed state is also in a gray area. It's a design decision which is not necessarily good or bad.

• The story isn't that great. It has his moments, but feels uninpired most of the time. Not always easy to put a decent story in a MMO tough.

I don't think there will be GW3 in years to come as the genre has a weak future compared to when GW2 was planned and developed. Unless some new/ huge innovation shows up. Which honestly I don't expect.

GW2 has huge problems:

1)the re-playability is not there. Due to the expansions and the new mechanics. Playing from level 1 to 79 at this point is useless. any player trying to do that will find himself playing alone. However, if that same player had played when the game came out the experience would be great.

this is not easy to fix. Some games give older players rewards for helping/playing with new players on low level areas. GW2 should think about that. This keeps all areas busy and you see all population around.

For instance, when a player is doing "certain" personal story quest, dungeon, intance, etc. why no add interesting rewards to high level characters to join in?

2) fragmenting the population: creating new maps without increasing population was a huge error of massive proportion. Instead, they should had improved existing maps. This lowered player density.

they could have added floating maps on top of current maps, more quests, events, event chains, mobs, bosses, etc.

Again, this is gonna go to deaf ears. because, they will still continue reducing player density by adding new maps. Adding new maps is only fine if player population is increasing.

GW2 has a lot of cool things, sadly.. it also has a lot of failed ideas. I think that hurts the game overall. I believe if they put out a GW3, one thing they should do is remove unsupported content as opposed to just letting it sit around and be a sore. If enough people play it that it would cause issues to remove then, then support it again, just, don't have content in the game that is dead. Major issue with GW2 at this point for me.

I love map exploration, including hearts, but I think WP's and Heats should be One Time Account bound, with the Option to repeat.

Some other ideas.. but I just got back from the dentist and my mind is shot.

@Vayne.8563 said:The ONLY reason Guild Wars 2 was created instead of continuing Guild Wars 1 is because the company wanted to create content they couldn't create using the Guild Wars 1 game engine. That's not the case with Guild Wars 2. I'd be extremely surprised if we only got one more expansion. The game is going strong, it's still making money and expansions are more cost effective than making a whole new game. I strongly suspect this game will hang around another 3-4 years minimum. Making a new MMO today isn't generally something people want to invest in, but keeping an existing one in expansions is much cheaper.

But isnt the GW2 engine based on the same one that GW1 was built on?? hence why they are still restricted on certain things, where GW2 is going strong at the moment, technology is vastly pulling away from what this game should beable to do, ( I have a $1000+ GFX card and yet the CPU does most of the work ) and as other games are making full use of that technology GW2 will look rapidly dated, I would really hope that if Anet decide to go with a GW3 in the future they don't look at it and go we want people who have 3-5 year old systems now to run it, but make full use of the technology, this game looks great right now, but imagine what it could look like, and what they could do.

That said, the GW2 GFX/artist teams are some of the best ive seen, and this game looks amazing at 1440p

The way to keep players continue playing is to make content that encourage growth of guilds or help to increase circle of thier online friends in less possible pressure and enjoyable. Reward players that spend a lot of time playing.. don't nerf or force change.. existng players group generally don't like to be forced to adapt new changes .. .. they will quit unless changes are to promote growth of population without affecting existing community group.

@Talindra.4958 said:The way to keep players continue is to make content that encourage growth of guilds or increase circle of online friends in less possible pressure and enjoyable. Reward players that spend a lot of time playing.. don't nerf or force change.. existng players group generally don't like to be forced to adapt new changes .. .. they will quit inless changes are to promote growth of population without affecting existing community group.

Yeah, I kinda wish there was more focus on guilds in general, although the question arises, what can we do to promote guilds that hasn't already been done while still making sure the people who aren't in a guild for whatever reason aren't punished? Alliances as was in Guild Wars Factions quickly comes to mind. I think perhaps we can do more then that though. But then, one of the problems with alliances now is that people can now be a part of multiple guilds, for better and for worse. GvG would, again, obviously do wonders in the PvP sector.

Actually, maybe the multiple guilds thing is part of the problem. It seems like a great thing on paper, but when you come down to it, when you're a part of multiple guilds, you unconsciously don't pay as much attention to any one of them as you would if you only were a part of one guild. Maybe instead of being able to join multiple guilds, we could have it to where you can friend guilds instead. Maybe allow only two guilds you can be a part of, max.

This actually needs a lot of thought, but either way, I think we would have to redesign a lot of the guild systems as we know them. And that's something I would not do to Guild Wars 2 and would be yet another reason why Guild Wars 3 would be better to do this sort of thing.

@Talindra.4958 said:Not saying just a focus on guild. It's more on the game that can help players to find a place they belong either by enjoying the game or help expanding his circle of friends in game easier. Understand some ppl like to solo things but generally ppl enjoy the social aspect of an mmo.

So what would you add, change, or remove if you could do anything?

@Ok I Did It.2854 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:The ONLY reason Guild Wars 2 was created instead of continuing Guild Wars 1 is because the company wanted to create content they couldn't create using the Guild Wars 1 game engine. That's not the case with Guild Wars 2. I'd be extremely surprised if we only got one more expansion. The game is going strong, it's still making money and expansions are more cost effective than making a whole new game. I strongly suspect this game will hang around another 3-4 years minimum. Making a new MMO today isn't generally something people want to invest in, but keeping an existing one in expansions is much cheaper.

But isnt the GW2 engine based on the same one that GW1 was built on?? hence why they are still restricted on certain things, where GW2 is going strong at the moment, technology is vastly pulling away from what this game should beable to do, ( I have a $1000+ GFX card and yet the CPU does most of the work ) and as other games are making full use of that technology GW2 will look rapidly dated, I would really hope that if Anet decide to go with a GW3 in the future they don't look at it and go we want people who have 3-5 year old systems now to run it, but make full use of the technology, this game looks great right now, but imagine what it could look like, and what they could do.

That said, the GW2 GFX/artist teams are some of the best ive seen, and this game looks amazing at 1440p

@Ok I Did It.2854 put it like this the player base in this game 99.9% only spend a $100.00 on a video card at best and can not under stand or get the idea at all . what it is like to play on a $1,000.00 video card or much less even own a $1,000.00 cpu or spend $300.00 on a case or spend $200.00 for a good nic card . or spend $300.00 for the best cooling system out their . with the system over clocked to far as they can get it before shut down .

most the player base only has $100.00 video cards and $50.00 cases with cheap fans and cheaper memory and still try to run windows XP . and the tend to spend only $10.00 for case fans . even tho they can spend $10.00 for the best fans on the market they never ever do that !!!

this is another thing next to DX and 4K the player base does not get it !!! BUT the ones out their that have these good systems GET IT and want to enjoy their INVESTMENTS playing their favorite FREE MMO . on their $2,000.00 to $5,000.00 and they should have that right to do so with out being stuck in the stone ages

and all we can do is set back and hear them say how great the game is for them on their windows XP systems . and how they think they do not need to upgrade their bunt MELTED bread makers ;) ;) :p :p

Generally .. I believe smaller repetitive rewarding group contents is very good as it make players play more which also help players to meet other players.. promote interaction between diff players simpler and so the social network expand itself in the game. Applies for all pvx.

I do believe the game is lack of update for pvp .. i believe it needs user friendlier LFG system and better match system. Or even new game play and scoring system to improve this part of game.

Overall the game itself is good.. i believe making small group easy content will help to cover and encourage social interaction of players and help heaps if the content is rewarding and not too pressure to complete or repeat.

Archived