Suggestion: Increase Guild Limit

X T D.6458

@SkyShroud.2865 said:

@SkyShroud.2865 said:Again, I am not against people who are honest on their requests for having more slots. However, I am against people who use words they don't mean it.

Ironically you quoted me, but I was responding to another poster who implied that if you belonged to multiple guilds you weren't forming friendships which is what I challenged. Most people will start off by joining a guild to group up with others, some for friendship, some will grow to be friends, some will just only do it for causal relationships. Each person's experiences will vary. I still challenge the fact that you can't have friends in different guilds, you can, and still challenge that not all of your friends will be friends, they won't be. So for that I am for increasing the guild limit.

The initial quote was about claim being a number in a mega guild. My argument against that was what so different from joining 10 small guilds, you also end up with a mega guild number of people to interact with. The truth is, there no difference. You still gonna end up interacting huge amount of people. Breaking them down to smaller bits don't make them any different from consolidating them in one big bit.

My experience with larger versus other sized guilds have varied to yours. I have found people in mid to smaller guilds are more amiable and at times interactive than the larger guilds that use the broadcast method to get members, but I can understand where your experience might have been different. Though those 10 theoretical guilds might make up more than a single larger guild it doesn't mean that I am not staying connected with the 10 people that I joined those guilds for. Now if they broadcast in one of their guildchats I can see it and team up with them and others even if I am not repping. I understand not everyone will end up in a one stop shop guild so there is nothing wrong with more options for people. It is an MMO so people seeking activities with others is ingrained into the concept. And if more friendships form meeting more people all the better.

I wasn't a fan of mixing servers in WvW, but overtime I have enjoyed the experience since it has allowed me to play on the same side as others that in the past we would play against. For some now when we aren't joined servers I can still wave at them across the field and they will wave back. More connections just meant a potential to meet and enjoy the company of others that I might not have come across. See this kind of the same way, might be different if this was a single guild system but since it's not...options are good even if I don't use them.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@TheGrimm.5624 said:

@SkyShroud.2865 said:Again, I am not against people who are honest on their requests for having more slots. However, I am against people who use words they don't mean it.

Ironically you quoted me, but I was responding to another poster who implied that if you belonged to multiple guilds you weren't forming friendships which is what I challenged. Most people will start off by joining a guild to group up with others, some for friendship, some will grow to be friends, some will just only do it for causal relationships. Each person's experiences will vary. I still challenge the fact that you can't have friends in different guilds, you can, and still challenge that not all of your friends will be friends, they won't be. So for that I am for increasing the guild limit.

The initial quote was about claim being a number in a mega guild. My argument against that was what so different from joining 10 small guilds, you also end up with a mega guild number of people to interact with. The truth is, there no difference. You still gonna end up interacting huge amount of people. Breaking them down to smaller bits don't make them any different from consolidating them in one big bit.

My experience with larger versus other sized guilds have varied to yours. I have found people in mid to smaller guilds are more amiable and at times interactive than the larger guilds that use the broadcast method to get members, but I can understand where your experience might have been different. Though those 10 theoretical guilds might make up more than a single larger guild it doesn't mean that I am not staying connected with the 10 people that I joined those guilds for. Now if they broadcast in one of their guildchats I can see it and team up with them and others even if I am not repping. I understand not everyone will end up in a one stop shop guild so there is nothing wrong with more options for people. It is an MMO so people seeking activities with others is ingrained into the concept. And if more friendships form meeting more people all the better.

I wasn't a fan of mixing servers in WvW, but overtime I have enjoyed the experience since it has allowed me to play on the same side as others that in the past we would play against. For some now when we aren't joined servers I can still wave at them across the field and they will wave back. More connections just meant a potential to meet and enjoy the company of others that I might not have come across. See this kind of the same way, might be different if this was a single guild system but since it's not...options are good even if I don't use them.

If you review the posts I have made, I too already explained why that thinking is immature.

As explained already, popular opinion is small guild is better for what you mentioned but that is only true on certain limitations. As mentioned already, as number of circles increases, one's attentions also get increasingly divided. Let put this into reality, if two or more person asking for help at the same time for different things, can you be there for all of them? Of course not. You end up saying sorry or nothing at all. You might think others may help but others too can have as many guilds, their attentions too can be elsewhere at that time.

Next is you think large guild is less responsive. Now, to give you another perspective to think of, was chats more responsive before or after the multiple chat was implemented? Was people more interactive before or after. While thinking about it, also do take note of variables of the comparisons.

All I can tell anyone is more circles or in this case guilds will become counter productive to social. After all, there's something called sweet spot. You can don't trust my words or understanding, you can just bookmark this post and if one day anet increase more slots and you then are in more so called active guilds. Maybe you can make a comparison.

@SkyShroud.2865 said:

If you review the posts I have made, I too already explained why that thinking is immature.

As explained already, popular opinion is small guild is better for what you mentioned but that is only true on certain limitations. As mentioned already, as number of circles increases, one's attentions also get increasingly divided. Let put this into reality, if two or more person asking for help at the same time for different things, can you be there for all of them? Of course not. You end up saying sorry or nothing at all. You might think others may help but others too can have as many guilds, their attentions too can be elsewhere at that time.

Next is you think large guild is less responsive. Now, to give you another perspective to think of, was chats more responsive before or after the multiple chat was implemented? Was people more interactive before or after. While thinking about it, also do take note of variables of the comparisons.

All I can tell anyone is more circles or in this case guilds will become counter productive to social. After all, there's something called sweet spot. You can don't trust my words or understanding, you can just bookmark this post and if one day anet increase more slots and you then are in more so called active guilds. Maybe you can make a comparison.

Yea but if I want to wvw I wont talk to my spvp, pve, raid or fractal guild so they wouldent get my attention anyway.The split attention you talk about wont exist depending on what Im in the mood of doing.EditAnd thats all the slots taken already what if I want to wvw with another guild or start leading training raids or feel how it feels like to level up a guild from scratch then I have to leave 1 of my prevous ones witch is no ideal.

@Tukaram.8256 said:Wait, what? You can be in more than 1 guild? How bizarre... I would have never thought of that. 5 seems almost excessive, but whatever, it won't affect me if you can join more. So, like each avatar can be in a different guild? Sure, why not... :)

No each avatar is in all of the guilds you join with your account.

@SkyShroud.2865 said:If you review the posts I have made, I too already explained why that thinking is immature.

I would question some of your word choices and have read your other posts. I still maintain each player's experiences will differ. I work in IT today and support 10+ locations of users which range upwards of a thousand. I have to interact with all of them as needed. Do I know everyone in each location, no. Do I have friends in all these disparate locations, yes, do I have people that I just interact with, yes.

I only belong to one core guild and have a secondary one for missions, but based on my experiences I understand how people would manage multiple guilds. Your examples above do occur already in any size guild. If multiple people say I need a hand with different things you can't be in different spots at the same time, be that in one guild or 20. As far as chatting, I think I would use the argument that multiple guilds impact voice comms more than text chat since it is harder to have multitudes of voice comms up. That said for a single large guild if you have a voice comm that 200 people are sitting in its more difficult to communicate with individuals versus it being used to have one person directing an activity. If multiple people are doing multiple activities in the same channel it can be quite chaotic and would not work so well. Text chat offers you a better chance to see your fractal guild is doing a run and your WvW is starting a raid so you can decide, what do you want to do, either of those or do you want to do shout out about getting a PvP group up and running. Now again, yes you could also do this with a mega guild text chat too but that depends on if you are in a PvX guild versus a PvE, WvW or PvP guild.The difference in our discussions is I am saying give people a choice that works with their own personality and play style. If I can't manage interactions in multiple guilds, it doesn't mean that another player may not. The OP wasn't asking that all players must max their guilds, they are saying they want more choice. I may not use it, but why disagree with the fact that they think it would be beneficial to their game play if it doesn't create a negative impact on your own?

@Linken.6345 said:

Yea but if I want to wvw I wont talk to my spvp, pve, raid or fractal guild so they wouldent get my attention anyway.The split attention you talk about wont exist depending on what Im in the mood of doing.EditAnd thats all the slots taken already what if I want to wvw with another guild or start leading training raids or feel how it feels like to level up a guild from scratch then I have to leave 1 of my prevous ones witch is no ideal.

That is the split attention. If you do WvW, you are gonna neglect everything else. You push it up to 10 guilds, one is not gonna attend to all of them, it is a reality. One gonna become just a name in many of those guilds. Now, one can also join guilds of conflicting interests, who say they can't, right? So, for people who hate rep rule so much gonna see a spike in rep requirement just to cut down this conflicting interests.

@TheGrimm.5624 said:

@SkyShroud.2865 said:If you review the posts I have made, I too already explained why that thinking is immature.

I would question some of your word choices and have read your other posts. I still maintain each player's experiences will differ. I work in IT today and support 10+ locations of users which range upwards of a thousand. I have to interact with all of them as needed. Do I know everyone in each location, no. Do I have friends in all these disparate locations, yes, do I have people that I just interact with, yes.

I only belong to one core guild and have a secondary one for missions, but based on my experiences I understand how people would manage multiple guilds. Your examples above do occur already in any size guild. If multiple people say I need a hand with different things you can't be in different spots at the same time, be that in one guild or 20. As far as chatting, I think I would use the argument that multiple guilds impact voice comms more than text chat since it is harder to have multitudes of voice comms up. That said for a single large guild if you have a voice comm that 200 people are sitting in its more difficult to communicate with individuals versus it being used to have one person directing an activity. If multiple people are doing multiple activities in the same channel it can be quite chaotic and would not work so well. Text chat offers you a better chance to see your fractal guild is doing a run and your WvW is starting a raid so you can decide, what do you want to do, either of those or do you want to do shout out about getting a PvP group up and running. Now again, yes you could also do this with a mega guild text chat too but that depends on if you are in a PvX guild versus a PvE, WvW or PvP guild.The difference in our discussions is I am saying give people a choice that works with their own personality and play style. If I can't manage interactions in multiple guilds, it doesn't mean that another player may not. The OP wasn't asking that all players must max their guilds, they are saying they want more choice. I may not use it, but why disagree with the fact that they think it would be beneficial to their game play if it doesn't create a negative impact on your own?

That's some misleading arguments over there. In IT support line, you do your support over the phone, over remote assistance, likewise batch update etc. It is completely different from guilds here where your virtual character can only attend to any single one guild activity at any time. Oh, you can perform "teleportation" magic ingames.

I can see that you believe being in guilds only involve only chatting but people don't use guilds just for chatting. If not how do those farming or raid guilds exist? Do they exist for you to chat? Interaction go beyond chatting. If "interaction" means chatting only, then I would like to ask you the meaning of "interacting with a object". Do you chat with an object?

snip

@"SkyShroud.2865" said:

That is the split attention. If you do WvW, you are gonna neglect everything else. You push it up to 10 guilds, one is not gonna attend to all of them, it is a reality. One gonna become just a name in many of those guilds. Now, one can also join guilds of conflicting interests, who say they can't, right? So, for people who hate rep rule so much gonna see a spike in rep requirement just to cut down this conflicting interests.

Okay so let me see if I have this right. One large guild of 300 people is preferable over 10 small guilds of 30 people because I cannot split my attention, ie, do more than one activity at a time. Except that is going to happen in the larger guild too. What is the difference between different guilds:G1 PHZE Solace: Hey we need one more person for daily t4 fractals, anyone available?VM Kingmaker: Guys, gate is at 10 percent, get over here.Your world has claimed Borderlands Bloodlust! Use it to deliver a crushing defeat!G1 PHZE Etria: Rally ends in 30, I can help after that.

And the same guild?VM Solace: Hey we need one more person for daily t4 fractals, anyone available?VM Kingmaker: Guys, gate is at 10 percent, get over here.Your world has claimed Borderlands Bloodlust! Use it to deliver a crushing defeat!VM Etria: Rally ends in 30, I can help after that.

It isn't like one big guild is all going to be doing the SAME EXACT THING 100 percent of the time. Honestly, even the small ones don't do that. Even the NARROW focus ones don't do that. It isn't like you can't see and respond to all the different guilds; the only difference is the acronym at the very beginning, and obviously, in my example, not everyone in VM will see the PHZE messages.

snip

That's some misleading arguments over there. In IT support line, you do your support over the phone, over remote assistance, likewise batch update etc. It is completely different from guilds here where your virtual character can only attend to any single one guild activity at any time. Oh, you can perform "teleportation" magic ingames.

I can see that you believe being in guilds only involve only chatting but people don't use guilds just for chatting. If not how do those farming or raid guilds exist? Do they exist for you to chat? Interaction go beyond chatting. If "interaction" means chatting only, then I would like to ask you the meaning of "interacting with a object". Do you chat with an object?

I'm not seeing the point here. A large guild is not doing the exact same activity at the exact same time either. Of course you can do only one activity at one time. But those times are different. IE My raid guild does NOT raid 24/7. my wvw guild does NOT raid 24/7, friends and fam guild is whenever folks wander on, etc. The only difference is I can't combine my guilds because not all of them like doing the same thing. If I asked Person A from my wvw guild to join my raid guild 'so I can consolidate guilds' I would get a strong No, are you KIDDING? PVREEE? No thanks! And if I asked my raid guild to join the wvw guild I would get "But I'm not on your server, for one, and I don't wvw, for two."

Now your last point, which I think I accidentally snipped, was that, say, I could belong to a BG guild AND an FA guild(for example) and could therefore 'spy' on one or both. Well, this is already possible with 5 guild slots, or only 1 since usually most spying is done in Discord Voice or friendslists anyway.

If you could only see the guild chat you were repping your points about ignoring someone might be valid, but you can see and respond to all of them. Sometimes we don't rep our wvw guild on purpose, even, to confuse enemies. Your point would ALSO apply in games such as SWTOR where different toons can be in different guilds but they cannot see what is going on when on that other toon. But this is not the case in GW2.

I guess I'm saying that I happen to be friends/acquaintances with people in different guilds and there are more than 5 of them, and I would really like to be able to tag their guild when I'm doing things with them, and I cannot see how that would hurt a single other person.

@"SkyShroud.2865" said:I can see that you believe being in guilds only involve only chatting but people don't use guilds just for chatting. If not how do those farming or raid guilds exist? Do they exist for you to chat? Interaction go beyond chatting. If "interaction" means chatting only, then I would like to ask you the meaning of "interacting with a object". Do you chat with an object?

Etria has already made some of the points that I would have raised so I will skip those for brevity since I don't see how your examples wouldn't be applied to a large guild versus more smaller guilds. I view it as people are individuals that strengthen the value of guilds they participate in and I think you as the guild strengthens the individuals. I am making my points in support since I see why this would benefit others regardless of how I would use the feature, again I am just in two guilds with others in GW2, a core one and an additional one for missions. My interactions are more for gaming versus just chatting, that's the role of voice comms be either straight voice like TS or where you have Discord taking it even further as it meshes social media, group finder and voice all in one. I think one of our differences is in the older concept of repping. I agree in the day when repping mattered more I could see more of reason to restrict. But now a days if a friend of mine wanted help in creating a new guild hall I see no reason I shouldn't be able to join their guild and help in that goal without having to leave my own guild. If a smaller guild needed more people to run missions, why should I not be allowed to join them to run those missions. If my core guild doesn't raid, why should I have to leave them to join one that raids? My guild runs some havoc in WvW, what if my raid guild doesn't, would I have to stop running WvW? Your points are what a number of us have been making, if you have a guild that does it all and it works for you, good on you. But if it doesn't why not allow people to join more guilds that would cover those areas that they are interested in. In any case we will differ in the opinion that when a guild grows to big people will have less chance to interact, less so in text but even more so in voice comms, you can't have that many disparate discussions going on in one voice channel. So you end up breaking into smaller groups to interact. There is no difference there in being in one guild versus a number of them outside of the name. And if comes down to pride in a guild name over that of the people that make it up, I will have pride in the people that have acted under it versus it for itself. People make a guild, a guild doesn't make the people.

I failed at brevity, but it is what it is. Good gaming!

@SkyShroud.2865 said:If you review the posts I have made, I too already explained why that thinking is immature.Immature?

As explained already, popular opinion is small guild is better for what you mentionedAgain, no, you have asserted that. You haven't shown that's a popular opinion. And more importantly, you haven't shown that it matters: an opinion isn't a fact and what works for you doesn't have to work for everyone.

As mentioned already, as number of circles increases, one's attentions also get increasingly divided.That's not a fact.The point I keep bringing up is that people's interests are already divided.

Let put this into reality, if two or more person asking for help at the same time for different things, can you be there for all of them? Of course not. You end up saying sorry or nothing at all. You might think others may help but others too can have as many guilds, their attentions too can be elsewhere at that time.What's the difference between being asked by two people in the same guild versus one in each of two guilds?

Next is you think large guild is less responsive. Now, to give you another perspective to think of, was chats more responsive before or after the multiple chat was implemented? Was people more interactive before or after. While thinking about it, also do take note of variables of the comparisons.It's more responsive now, comparing guilds with relatively static membership and those with evolving rosters. Because it no longer depends on someone remembering to tick a box to be able to read the chat.

All I can tell anyone is more circles or in this case guilds will become counter productive to social.And that might be true for you. Please stop insisting that it's true for everyone. Because I guarantee it's not true for me and many others I know.

I still would like to know: what difference does it make to you if someone else belongs to 10 guilds or 2? Why aren't you willing to accept anyone else's word that it works for them? Especially since no one is disputing that you find it superior to belong to just one guild.

I will point out, as I do every time this subject comes up. In other games you are limited to one guild per character. Multiple characters in a guild would quickly fill up that guild's roster, so many/most guilds would only allow one or two characters into the guild. So, with that in mind, in WoW you could be in a maximum of 50 guilds, one per character.

GW2 has gone a step farther and let the guild be tied to the account, not the character, and beyond that, lets you see and talk to any guild that your account is in. This, honestly, is the best thing to come along since peanut butter and puppies.

If we were in the guild model of most other games, I would be able to be in 70 guilds. I don't want (or think its necessary) to be in 70 guilds but given the divergence of gameplay that Anet has instigated, 5 guild slots is no longer enough. At launch, yes, even with HoT it was mostly satisfactory, introducing raids on top of PvP, WvW PvE, Dungeons, Fractals and World bosses made it still mostly workable.

Now that the number of raids, fractals, WvW ect have grown, there are more people with those play styles, requiring them to gather together a group with similar interests. Whether the guild has 50 or 500 people in it doesn't matter for 'split attention'. Different guild have always had different focuses and the people in the guilds also come and go, split off and form new guilds, or the guilds die out when people stop logging in. Just because your friend can't log in for a month, or a year, doesn't mean that you don't want to be there for them when they do come back. Yes, there is friends list, but that is (in my opinion) a poor way to keep in touch, it doesn't promote your friendship as much as sharing a guild. Others may feel differently, but that's why we all have opinions.

10 guilds would be nice, though keep in mind that many guilds still have Rep requirements (which is a whole 'nother story)15 would probably be do-able, especially if you take into account the number of people who have both 'private bank guilds' and 'harvesting guild halls'. Both of which are not necessary, but they are very common.20, in my opinion would be the absolute max that someone would be able to give attention to. Again, opinion, not fact, not a poll, not 'this is how I feel so everybody else should too'.

I would absolutely pay real money for gems to be able to have 5 more guild slots. I would absolutely grind the ingame gold to buy gems to get 5 more slots if I didn't spend all my budgeted 'allowance' on my computer game hobby to begin with.

@Sarah.1825 said:I will point out, as I do every time this subject comes up. In other games you are limited to one guild per character. Multiple characters in a guild would quickly fill up that guild's roster, so many/most guilds would only allow one or two characters into the guild. So, with that in mind, in WoW you could be in a maximum of 50 guilds, one per character.

GW2 has gone a step farther and let the guild be tied to the account, not the character, and beyond that, lets you see and talk to any guild that your account is in. This, honestly, is the best thing to come along since peanut butter and puppies.

If we were in the guild model of most other games, I would be able to be in 70 guilds. I don't want (or think its necessary) to be in 70 guilds but given the divergence of gameplay that Anet has instigated, 5 guild slots is no longer enough. At launch, yes, even with HoT it was mostly satisfactory, introducing raids on top of PvP, WvW PvE, Dungeons, Fractals and World bosses made it still mostly workable.

Now that the number of raids, fractals, WvW ect have grown, there are more people with those play styles, requiring them to gather together a group with similar interests. Whether the guild has 50 or 500 people in it doesn't matter for 'split attention'. Different guild have always had different focuses and the people in the guilds also come and go, split off and form new guilds, or the guilds die out when people stop logging in. Just because your friend can't log in for a month, or a year, doesn't mean that you don't want to be there for them when they do come back. Yes, there is friends list, but that is (in my opinion) a poor way to keep in touch, it doesn't promote your friendship as much as sharing a guild. Others may feel differently, but that's why we all have opinions.

10 guilds would be nice, though keep in mind that many guilds still have Rep requirements (which is a whole 'nother story)15 would probably be do-able, especially if you take into account the number of people who have both 'private bank guilds' and 'harvesting guild halls'. Both of which are not necessary, but they are very common.20, in my opinion would be the absolute max that someone would be able to give attention to. Again, opinion, not fact, not a poll, not 'this is how I feel so everybody else should too'.

I would absolutely pay real money for gems to be able to have 5 more guild slots. I would absolutely grind the ingame gold to buy gems to get 5 more slots if I didn't spend all my budgeted 'allowance' on my computer game hobby to begin with.

I agree. Thank you, Sarah.

@Linken.6345 said:

@SkyShroud.2865 said:@Etria.3642This is the 2nd time you hijack the conversations. I would suggest you to actually read all the quotes before partaking in the conversation. I don't really see a need to reiterate what already discussed.

Please explain how said person hijack the thread other then shooting down your arguments for being in a big guild?

I would appreciate that you read word by word for every single post made in this thread while setting aside your personal emotion, maybe you will realize something you didn't.

@"Sarah.1825" said:I will point out, as I do every time this subject comes up. In other games you are limited to one guild per character. Multiple characters in a guild would quickly fill up that guild's roster, so many/most guilds would only allow one or two characters into the guild. So, with that in mind, in WoW you could be in a maximum of 50 guilds, one per character.

There are a few points you mentioned but I saw one questionable point in your argument which is at one point you claim HOT is alright and now it magically isn't because "raids", "fractals", "wvw", "etc" grew?

Raid is still raid, how did they grew? Sure, they might have more wings but really, raid is still raid. Unless you telling me there are now specialized guilds that do specific wings?Fractals is still level 100, how did they grew?WvW is still the same general concept for years, population on other hand is continuously declining, so how did they grew?As for harvesting guild, are you saying the multiple guilds of varies guild halls you joined couldn't already fulfill such? Do you actually need such a guild?

You come up with a sweet spot number, I like that you actually have the concept of sweet spot but I would also want to highlight that while WOW could possibly have access to 50 guilds but the people that gonna do that is not the majority, you know? Not only that, to maintain 50 characters of guilds, making sure you don't get kicked for being inactive is also a whole level of hardcoreness. Gw2 on other hand is ANY character accessing 5 guilds of potential 2495 other people.

Now setting aside the social argument and how one guild ineffeciently used their slots, moving on to actual activity argument where many claims they very capable doing a lot of things. First question is, what is the median gaming hours of gw2 players?

A person doing raid would use plenty of hours doing it, likely spend 1-2 days gaming hours doing it. W1-4 with 100% no fail rate will take 2hrs but obviously not everybody gonna be 100% no fail. Then, W5-7 also take few hours and the success rate (w5-6) is even lower than that of w1-4.A person doing wvw would spend plenty of hours and days doing it, plenty of guilds run wvw between 2-4 days of 2-4 hours.Then, fractal is commonly done on daily basis, well, at least the reward is reset daily. Again, it cost time.

Just 3 guilds already take up much of a person time. Now, maybe one play 7 days a week so still got some days left, right?Now, weekend some people play plenty of hours, right? Sure, maybe the person may be playing meta or farming and maybe the nice ones would even help with raid training. However, what else more do you need? Darn, I did mention meta, didn't I? Some people run meta everyday, well, that takes away quite a bit of hours already.

Anyway, long story short, even analyzing via playing hours, you still won't use 10 guilds, not even say 15 or 20 so how you come up wit that magical numbers? Because is a multiple of "5"?

PS: Btw, personal bank guild is a personal choice, giving up the slots that can be used for actual guilds that offer activities.

@SkyShroud.2865 said:

@SkyShroud.2865 said:@Etria.3642This is the 2nd time you hijack the conversations. I would suggest you to actually read all the quotes before partaking in the conversation. I don't really see a need to reiterate what already discussed.

Please explain how said person hijack the thread other then shooting down your arguments for being in a big guild?

I would appreciate that you read word by word for every single post made in this thread while setting aside your personal emotion, maybe you will realize something you didn't.

Already done once now explain your view on how they hijacked the thread speaking about exactly what this thread is about.If you feel a 300 person guild is fine for you then your golden.I got a 120people pve guild with chill people1 raid guild with 13 people these two would not mix.1 guild from start of the game with old friends who never log on anymore.2 storage guilds I influenced up before the guild change.

I could use 1 more wvw guild for when I feel like doing that and another spvp guild for automated tourneys if I ever want to do that.A total of 7 guilds and if people want to have 10 or 15 dont matter to me.(aslong as they pay the prices anet want to take for each in the gemstore)

@SkyShroud.2865 said:

@"Sarah.1825" said:I would absolutely pay real money for gems to be able to have 5 more guild slots. I would absolutely grind the ingame gold to buy gems to get 5 more slots if I didn't spend all my budgeted 'allowance' on my computer game hobby to begin with.

Anyway, long story short, even analyzing via playing hours, you still won't use 10 guilds, not even say 15 or 20 so how you come up wit that magical numbers? Because is a multiple of "5"?

PS: Btw, personal bank guild is a personal choice, giving up the slots that can be used for actual guilds that offer activities.

I am sub quoting both of the above to spare people reading these on cell phone as I do at times.

@SkyShroud.2865 I try and see both sides but still the only take away I can see to your posts is that this feature is not something you would use; your belief is no one would have that much playtime to use either; and being in multiple guilds is not a favorable thing. I think I wouldn't feel the need to further reply but all of those are opinions. If you had said I would prefer they spend time developing some other guild feature or this would break this feature in game or this would remove the option to this activity might be different. But just saying no I don't see people using it or they wouldn't be able to isn't valid on its own, let alone in the repetition that you have done so. I don't doubt most of us get the point you are not interested in this change but many of the posters don't see your why-of it's a negative addition to the game if to them it means more options to do more activities with others that have similar interests.

@SkyShroud.2865 wroteyou still won't use 10 guilds, not even say 15 or 20That's factually inaccurate. I'm already making use of 10+ social organizations, I just am forced to do it without the support of the game. That makes it harder for me to maintain my connections, not easier.

You keep imposing your world view on the community as if your preferences and interests apply to the rest of us. Bigger groups do not mean more diverse or more social; it just means bigger.

@TheGrimm.5624 said:But now a days if a friend of mine wanted help in creating a new guild hall I see no reason I shouldn't be able to join their guild and help in that goal without having to leave my own guild. If a smaller guild needed more people to run missions, why should I not be allowed to join them to run those missions. If my core guild doesn't raid, why should I have to leave them to join one that raids? My guild runs some havoc in WvW, what if my raid guild doesn't, would I have to stop running WvW? Your points are what a number of us have been making, if you have a guild that does it all and it works for you, good on you. But if it doesn't why not allow people to join more guilds that would cover those areas that they are interested in. In any case we will differ in the opinion that when a guild grows to big people will have less chance to interact, less so in text but even more so in voice comms, you can't have that many disparate discussions going on in one voice channel. So you end up breaking into smaller groups to interact. There is no difference there in being in one guild versus a number of them outside of the name. And if comes down to pride in a guild name over that of the people that make it up, I will have pride in the people that have acted under it versus it for itself. People make a guild, a guild doesn't make the people.

I failed at brevity, but it is what it is. Good gaming!

I have one guild slot free to help those smaller guild out when I can.

I also use that slot to observe the larger, multislot guilds with 600+ members and growing.

None cater to every single person's individual needs and make them feel included especially when they become very big. The audacity of any guild big or small demanding anything over 50% rep is appalling when the game has 5 slots. What are they going to do to replace all of the specialties that my current guilds have? If nothing, there's no point. This is a buyer's (prospective guild member) market, not a seller's (recruiter's). They have to compete. So either they assume they will do everything including ERP, or specialize in something. Most guilds accomplish the latter and carve out an identity in that manner.

None have Beetle Gymkhana either. I don't have to worry because I can just make one myself. Small group, but I like to stick up for the little guys (smols included, lol).

TL: DR if one guild can offer intense ERP, casual RP, Raid train, Speed run Raids, WvW roam, WvW havoc, Zerg bust, sPvP, Open World map comp, map meta, bounty train, dungeon speed run, dungeon train, fractal speed run, fractal train lower tiers, T4 dailies, beetle gymkhana, and have people who will be actual friends....

Let me know. Dropping all my guilds for that one. (But it doesn't exist).

It's easier to have more slots.

@SkyShroud.2865 said:

@"Sarah.1825" said:I will point out, as I do every time this subject comes up. In other games you are limited to one guild per character. Multiple characters in a guild would quickly fill up that guild's roster, so many/most guilds would only allow one or two characters into the guild. So, with that in mind, in WoW you could be in a maximum of 50 guilds, one per character.

There are a few points you mentioned but I saw one questionable point in your argument which is at one point you claim HOT is alright and now it magically isn't because "raids", "fractals", "wvw", "etc" grew?

Raid is still raid, how did they grew? Sure, they might have more wings but really, raid is still raid. Unless you telling me there are now specialized guilds that do specific wings?Fractals is still level 100, how did they grew?WvW is still the same general concept for years, population on other hand is continuously declining, so how did they grew?As for harvesting guild, are you saying the multiple guilds of varies guild halls you joined couldn't already fulfill such? Do you actually need such a guild?

You come up with a sweet spot number, I like that you actually have the concept of sweet spot but I would also want to highlight that while WOW could possibly have access to 50 guilds but the people that gonna do that is not the majority, you know? Not only that, to maintain 50 characters of guilds, making sure you don't get kicked for being inactive is also a whole level of hardcoreness. Gw2 on other hand is ANY character accessing 5 guilds of potential 2495 other people.

Now setting aside the social argument and how one guild ineffeciently used their slots, moving on to actual activity argument where many claims they very capable doing a lot of things. First question is, what is the median gaming hours of gw2 players?

A person doing raid would use plenty of hours doing it, likely spend 1-2 days gaming hours doing it. W1-4 with 100% no fail rate will take 2hrs but obviously not everybody gonna be 100% no fail. Then, W5-7 also take few hours and the success rate (w5-6) is even lower than that of w1-4.A person doing wvw would spend plenty of hours and days doing it, plenty of guilds run wvw between 2-4 days of 2-4 hours.Then, fractal is commonly done on daily basis, well, at least the reward is reset daily. Again, it cost time.

Just 3 guilds already take up much of a person time. Now, maybe one play 7 days a week so still got some days left, right?Now, weekend some people play plenty of hours, right? Sure, maybe the person may be playing meta or farming and maybe the nice ones would even help with raid training. However, what else more do you need? Darn, I did mention meta, didn't I? Some people run meta everyday, well, that takes away quite a bit of hours already.

I can't, don't have the skill, but a static team in my raid guild can do a full clear on a Monday night. I would like to someday be half that good. Just pointing out that assumptions of how much time it takes people to do things depends on the person.

I spend six hours a week in wvw; others in my wvw guild stay in for six hours a night.

However, you say I cannot spend time with ten guilds.

Sunday: morning key farm with fam guild. 1 hour.Evening: wvw rally 2 hours.

Monday: fractals in morning with large guild before work. 1 hour.Evening: wvw rally 2 hours.

Tuesday: not in this guild but Tuesday is my day off and I farm from 8 am or so until 2pm. 6 hours.Evening: random activity, usually a world boss train, might be festival. 3 hours. Prefer the guild EVA or TTS.

Wednesday: guild missions and wing 4 with casual raiding guild. 3 hours.

Thursday: fractals with either fam or another guild. 1 hour.

Friday: random stuff with appropriate guild until wvw reset. 2 hours.Reeeeeeset wvw which goes forever but I only am there for 2 hours.

Saturday: Farming. Sometimes with same guild from Monday sometimes not. 3 hours.Evening: guild missions with other guild. 1 hour.Raid, currently wing 7, but sometimes wing 1,2,or 3 2 hours.

Totals: 30 hours. Thank heavens I don't have a full time job.10 guilds.

@Etria.3642 said:

I can't, don't have the skill, but a static team in my raid guild can do a full clear on a Monday night. I would like to someday be half that good. Just pointing out that assumptions of how much time it takes people to do things depends on the person.

I spend six hours a week in wvw; others in my wvw guild stay in for six hours a night.

Monday: fractals in morning with large guild before work. 1 hour.Evening: wvw rally 2 hours.

Tuesday: not in this guild but Tuesday is my day off and I farm from 8 am or so until 2pm. 6 hours.Evening: random activity, usually a world boss train, might be festival. 3 hours. Prefer the guild EVA or TTS.

Friday: random stuff with appropriate guild until wvw reset. 2 hours.Reeeeeeset wvw which goes forever but I only am there for 2 hours.

Saturday: Farming. Sometimes with same guild from Monday sometimes not. 3 hours.Evening: guild missions with other guild. 1 hour.Raid, currently wing 7, but sometimes wing 1,2,or 3 2 hours.

You seems to ignore the "First question is, what is the median gaming hours of gw2 players?".PS: You should get a job.

@TheGrimm.5624 said:

@"Sarah.1825" said:I would absolutely pay real money for gems to be able to have 5 more guild slots. I would absolutely grind the ingame gold to buy gems to get 5 more slots if I didn't spend all my budgeted 'allowance' on my computer game hobby to begin with.

I am sub quoting both of the above to spare people reading these on cell phone as I do at times.

@SkyShroud.2865 I try and see both sides but still the only take away I can see to your posts is that this feature is not something you would use; your belief is no one would have that much playtime to use either; and being in multiple guilds is not a favorable thing. I think I wouldn't feel the need to further reply but all of those are opinions. If you had said I would prefer they spend time developing some other guild feature or this would break this feature in game or this would remove the option to this activity might be different. But just saying no I don't see people using it or they wouldn't be able to isn't valid on its own, let alone in the repetition that you have done so. I don't doubt most of us get the point you are not interested in this change but many of the posters don't see your why-of it's a negative addition to the game if to them it means more options to do more activities with others that have similar interests.

Go find out the median gaming hours which I already mentioned but many just conveniently ignored. Then, think about just how many guilds will have dead names and how in the end it will impact the game itself.

Median means just as many play MORE hours as play less.

However, I do not see what that had to do with anything. I can easily divide my gaming time of thirty hours among ten guilds, and that's assuming I'm not chatting with others while doing an activity with another. Sure, my attention during wvw is far less than my attention during a wing 4 raid explanation for a new person, but it's still there.

And to correct something from a few posts ago: I am not a Dad, I am a Mom and Gramma, and quite frankly I've served my time in the workforce. I do not, in fact, need to get a job. There are 168 hours in a week. I spend 30 in guild wars.

I just finished reading this thread from top to bottom and cannot find where you said how it would affect you if I had more than five guilds. Humor me please and answer. If I missed it please quote the post.

Edit: I also cannot locate the median hours played by gw2 players.

@SkyShroud.2865 said:

You seems to ignore the "First question is, what is the median gaming hours of gw2 players?".PS: You should get a job.

Go find out the median gaming hours which I already mentioned but many just conveniently ignored. Then, think about just how many guilds will have dead names and how in the end it will impact the game itself.

What do it matter if guilds die out or have players in them that not play anymore thats already happening.As poster above me median gaming hours got nothing to do with how many guilds some people want.They are not asking for it for free, its a gemstore upgrade like the material storage expanders or bank tabs.

@SkyShroud.2865 said:

Dead names......disclosure, I have been in the last of 5 in many guilds over 25+ years of gaming, I don't fault the game mechanics for this but more the guild for not keeping people engaged. This is gaming, restricting people's ability to have fun and meet new people should never be a goal of group. Again, people make a guild, guilds don't make people.

Again, why do you mask your real opposition to people wanting more guilds? The median gaming hours of players, which both you and I do not have unless you want to denote yourself as an employee of Anet with those numbers, is moot. You continue to assume people would be inefficient with their game-play by having more guilds. You leave us with more of a sense that your guild would lose numbers if there were more options to it members. That is an internal issue to your own guild that you should address versus limiting others in options they seek. Be that in my logic or the points you are trying to make but your argument, after many re-reads evades me on how allowing more guilds would have a negative impact on game play. Either state reasons how it negatively impacts your gameplay or leave it be that others think more guilds would enhance their game play.