SPEED OF SHADOWS CHANGE WAS USELESS

Morde.3158

@Morde.3158 said:

@"ZeftheWicked.3076" said:

Entangle "roots" you by means of immobilize. You pop shroud and you walk outta it, because immob got insta-cleansed and you got swiftness to get outta there faster.But to be fair i am saying that as Foot in the Grave user, so the moment i shroud i'm immediately broken free from druid's cc he applied on me and can get outta there in an instant. If i was to remain pinned down by cc then going shroud wouldn't do much, because the immob cleansed gets reapplied while i still can't move and then i would indeed be in a pickle.

wrong you have to kill the entagle and any skills like it it removes a normal immob just fine. Even then losing 25% perma movementspeed in shroud was a huge nerf and if you was getting kited before imagine losing the swiftness to a thief or something.

Sure you can do that, only:a) while you're killing it, they are happilly unloading damage into your ass at range and you can'd dodge cause immob.b) they're usually attacking you at range, and to deal with roots you often need to use melee weapon, or worse yet, switch to it from ranged one...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Nimon.7840 said:

@Crinn.7864 said:Replacing relentless pursuit with speed of shadows just screws reaper harder as it would mean that speed of shadows would be competing with Augury (vital for shout builds) and also with Chilling Nova (important for burst)

that has nothing to do with what I said try reading it again

Fair enough I misread. However I completely disagree about Speed of Shadows never being taken. Speed of Shadows is always taken on any build that doesn't run staff, which for the record, is a lot of builds.

are people still running SR in power reaper builds? I dropped SR for curses, and i can now take on scourges without any issues (1v1 anyway). Plus the weakness helps against the other melees. I do use SR on my scourge though.

Same thing here. Sr is just way too god on scourge for the burning and cdr of shroudskills.

But for reaper i like curses much more.Removing 3 boons when entering shroud, 2 when using shroud 2.Well thats more than scourge can do.And you get some awesome fury and conditransfer

yes I been dropping soul reaping but then iam ungodly slow and with the new changes to focus I been trying to use a axe focus gs build but my swiftness is a problem

I was running a hybrid build with rune of the traveler.But i have to improve it. I couldnt kill a firebrand, that was just running away and healing himself up, until his 5 friends came to help him

the struggle is realy if solo roaming was crap before on power necro its worse

@Morde.3158 said:

that
change? It's ages old!

If that's the case author has no idea what he's talking about. Current speed of shadows is awesome. Here are but few reasons why it is so:
  • easy counter to druid's ancient seeds - the bane of necro
  • accessible for all specializations - not everyone plays reaper only
  • huge synergy with unholy martyr - SoS takes off specific non-damaging condies, letting martyr focus more on damaging ones
  • swiftness without being arm twisted into warhorn or spectral walk is sweet
  • not every necro build uses staff (marks), while every has access to shroud

Now if it's the 7s shroud cooldown that i understand and agree upon. But that can also be placed elsewhere. No need to bring back inferior trait for one good component of it, that can literally be slapped elsewhere.

wrong that trait does not break any entangle you have to kill the root first

Entangle "roots" you by means of immobilize. You pop shroud and you walk outta it, because immob got insta-cleansed and you got swiftness to get outta there faster.But to be fair i am saying that as Foot in the Grave user, so the moment i shroud i'm immediately broken free from druid's cc he applied on me and can get outta there in an instant. If i was to remain pinned down by cc then going shroud wouldn't do much, because the immob cleansed gets reapplied while i still can't move and then i would indeed be in a pickle.

wrong you have to kill the entagle and any skills like it it removes a normal immob just fine. Even then losing 25% perma movementspeed in shroud was a huge nerf and if you was getting kited before imagine losing the swiftness to a thief or something.

Once you cleanse the Immobilize, you have until the next pulse from the roots to just walk out of it. Time it correctly and you have zero difficulty just walking out with a cleanse.

I like the change to speed of shadows it gave some much needed condi clear for moment impairing conditions at 1 push of a button. Everyone misses those 3 seconds though I think if it granted 3 seconds of super speed in addition to what it does now then it would be perfectly fine. One can only dream right?

I would like to have super speed like the other two light armor professions both have access too now.

@Crinn.7864 said:

@Crinn.7864 said:Replacing relentless pursuit with speed of shadows just screws reaper harder as it would mean that speed of shadows would be competing with Augury (vital for shout builds) and also with Chilling Nova (important for burst)

Fair enough I misread. However I completely disagree about Speed of Shadows never being taken. Speed of Shadows is always taken on any build that doesn't run staff, which for the record, is a lot of builds.

I ran A/D + GS with SoS, VP, and DP in SR and RP, CV, and RO in Reaper before the nerfs and buffs to axe and I can genuinely say right now that build went from being one of the best/strongest builds I've ever played which totally dumpstered about 90% of daredevils as well, to absolute garbage to the point it has no favorable matchups.

The meta traits used in PvE like Decimate Defenses and even Blighter's Boon were massively overrated and outside PvP and blobbing WvW I think staff is total junk.

Aggressive power reaper was extremely strong in the right hands and mentality towards playing it in such a way (which is why I frequently won 1v2/3/4), especially for LF builds with shroud flickering, and the movespeed bonus from SoS single-handedly carried a lot of reaper's viability in duels because it couldn't get stolen or corrupted unlike swiftness, and the 7s shroud timer gave it just the right flow to rotate out-of-shroud damage and LF gain/CC-locking/boon denial while being able to flicker back into its real power and dominate a fight.

This build went from being a mean contender to basically useless. When I see reapers, even on my core D/D thief I know they're free kills because any semblance of aggression and follow-through they used to he able to play with has been stripped away in favor of a playstyle which basically suggest to faceroll the keyboard and burn everything and either kill or be killed or try and kite while huge cooldowns tick.

@Drarnor Kunoram.5180 said:

that
change? It's ages old!

If that's the case author has no idea what he's talking about. Current speed of shadows is awesome. Here are but few reasons why it is so:
  • easy counter to druid's ancient seeds - the bane of necro
  • accessible for all specializations - not everyone plays reaper only
  • huge synergy with unholy martyr - SoS takes off specific non-damaging condies, letting martyr focus more on damaging ones
  • swiftness without being arm twisted into warhorn or spectral walk is sweet
  • not every necro build uses staff (marks), while every has access to shroud

Now if it's the 7s shroud cooldown that i understand and agree upon. But that can also be placed elsewhere. No need to bring back inferior trait for one good component of it, that can literally be slapped elsewhere.

wrong that trait does not break any entangle you have to kill the root first

Once you cleanse the Immobilize, you have until the next pulse from the roots to just walk out of it. Time it correctly and you have zero difficulty just walking out with a cleanse.

You ovb never fought a good ranger who knows what hes doing

@DeceiverX.8361 said:

I ran A/D + GS with SoS, VP, and DP in SR and RP, CV, and RO in Reaper before the nerfs and buffs to axe and I can genuinely say right now that build went from being one of the best/strongest builds I've ever played which totally dumpstered about 90% of daredevils as well, to absolute garbage to the point it has no favorable matchups.

The meta traits used in PvE like Decimate Defenses and even Blighter's Boon were massively overrated and outside PvP and blobbing WvW I think staff is total junk.

Aggressive power reaper was extremely strong in the right hands and mentality towards playing it in such a way (which is why I frequently won 1v2/3/4), especially for LF builds with shroud flickering, and the movespeed bonus from SoS single-handedly carried a lot of reaper's viability in duels because it couldn't get stolen or corrupted unlike swiftness, and the 7s shroud timer gave it just the right flow to rotate out-of-shroud damage and LF gain/CC-locking/boon denial while being able to flicker back into its real power and dominate a fight.

This build went from being a mean contender to basically useless. When I see reapers, even on my core D/D thief I know they're free kills because any semblance of aggression and follow-through they used to he able to play with has been stripped away in favor of a playstyle which basically suggest to faceroll the keyboard and burn everything and either kill or be killed or try and kite while huge cooldowns tick.

Exactly Cursed Touch here btw the I don't understand how other classes have their mechanics untouched and they keep making it harder for necro's soul reaping.

@reikken.4961 said:

@Dadnir.5038 said:Please, let us use
spectral walk
while in mid air like in the good ol'time. (I know that we have gliders now but... I liked this feature!)

I didn't pick up necro till PoFWhen was this useful?

Before HoT and it's gliders, you could jump from any cliff and double tap spectral walk just before landing. It allowed you to safely land whatever the heigth. In WvW when other players were chasing you, it was a fun way to get rid of them, especially when they were trying to follow you down the cliff. Now, it's less interresting since gliders exist but let's say you are in a jumping puzzle that prevent you from using your glider, it would at least let you survive the fall (not that spectral walk isn't already very usefull in JP).

@Morde.3158 said:

Exactly Cursed Touch here btw the I don't understand how other classes have their mechanics untouched and they keep making it harder for necro's soul reaping.

Because old SR wasn't compatible with Scourge. Decay rate and 30% CDR were OP otherwise.

It's the same thing that happened to Acrobatics on thief when they released Daredevil.

@Morde.3158 said:

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:I like the change since I don't like staff

how can you like no recharge on shroud do you run like a 50hp build on reaper or something.

cuz shroud recharge isn't necessary. I think a 1% lf on the first 2 reap shroud aa's and a 2% lf gain per/sec on soul eater along with the new speed of shadows would help to put reaper in a better spot.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:I like the change since I don't like staff

how can you like no recharge on shroud do you run like a 50hp build on reaper or something.

cuz shroud recharge isn't necessary. I think a 1% lf on the first 2 reap shroud aa's and a 2% lf gain per/sec on soul eater along with the new speed of shadows would help to put reaper in a better spot.

you must only play in groups or play condi

Recently they split the way the Path of Corruption trait works when equipped on a Scourge vs Reaper/Necro

• Reduced the number of boons converted to conditions from 2 to 1 when coupled with the scourge specialization.

I hope they consider implementing this for future changes and give us back that 7 seconds shroud recharge when coupled with the Reaper specialization only.It was so much more fluid and fun when Reaper had that trait =(We had this trait for like around the entirety of HOT around 2 years? before it was changed during POF to presumably make way for the Scourge =(

This is from a solo WvW roaming perspective of course...can't speak for the rest...I don't need it in PvP...but WvW solo roaming needs it.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:mostly in groups. played some solo when the recharge was around and it wasn't game changing.

In any 1v1+ context, this trait had a massive impact on reaper's performance.

The flat movespeed and cdr had a huge impact on mobility and fluidity to the point it allowed the class to stand toe-to-toe with daredevils and win.

@"Stand The Wall.6987" said:so do you have any other ideas or are you here just to complainI may not play it "seriously" but I do understand that the problem is with life force generation and not some trait that was only useful with FitG

I waited years for necro to have some mobility I had 10k hours on base necro before reaper came out. Originally I never used persistence I was more of a spectral mastery fan so I can understand the life force degeneration nerf. Yes after 21k hours total of playing this game I have finally decided to start complaining. It seems like anet shoots my class in the leg every time but, then say oh here is a little bit of money for your grievances 10% buff to axe 2 each patch???? oh and I did throw in an idea give spectral mastry trait the recharge for both base and reaper.

well I could be wrong and just a noob but I have trouble building lf outside of team fights. ppl dodge stuff. imo we should have some better lf gain on all our weapon autos. I hate relying on staff and spectral armor lol. I think if that was done then shroud cd would have more relevance. I don't know of any other class that requires to be in team fights to use their class mechanic.

Entering the form is maybe the biggest problem I always have the life force when you have slow and chill on you 10sec shroud feels like 13sec I love the original necro utility skills but, they never been up to par instead of fixing the problem anet just released new content. In my eyes new content, new skills, mechanic changes just = new struggles that was never needed in the first place. I think the number one thing necros wanted was better ranged abilities, better mobility and skills that don't take 5 years to go off. Necromancer is supposed to be a scholar right, yet somehow every other class is smarter,faster,trickier hope you see where I am getting at. Necromancer has long cast times, poor (base) healing, no decent mobility, low scaling on majority of the skills, No blocks, little boons,poor skill functionality, Only thing necro has is high hp and death shroud for extra hp that cant be healed. so our only source of defending oneself is to get back into the form. There was a reason shroud recharge was reduced to 5 seconds at launch lol.

Nope,The number one thing we asked before HoT was melee cleave. Take note that dagger used to hit only one target.

The number 2 thing we were asking before HoT was power based damage because at that time conditions were a pale shadow of the current one and PvE end game was a power feast.

The number 3 thing we were asking before HoT was more mobility and anet chose to make us reduce the mobility of our oponent to match our request while in PvE they just designed content so that mobility became less important.

Also we asked to be usefull in sPvP and since HoT they started to gave us boon corruption and even more boon corruption, without missing some boon corruption on top of boon corruption.

Since HoT, however, we ask for different things, I agree with that. We've asked for some support and with PoF we were gifted with scourge which is, in their mind, an heavy support spec.

At this point I'm scared to see what they would give us if we ask them something, but maybe, it's just me...

Archived