GW2 Ranger Pets....bad

FASTCAR.7831

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@FASTCAR.7831 said:I agree with the above 100%That said :I would be happy with JUST pet movement speedPets can be avoided 100% of the time by ANY skilled player

Yeah if you released any of these gw2 pets into the wild they would die of starvation unless they found a prey that stood still lol. Could they at least be as fast as real animals? Ever tried to outrun an average sized dog in rl? Doesnt happen.

@EDDIE WRECKER.1375 said:

@FASTCAR.7831 said:I agree with the above 100%That said :I would be happy with JUST pet movement speedPets can be avoided 100% of the time by ANY skilled player

Yeah if you released any of these gw2 pets into the wild they would die of starvation unless they found a prey that stood still lol. Could they at least be as fast as real animals? Ever tried to outrun an average sized dog in rl? Doesnt happen.

100% correct and first creative funny person on these forums :)

The pets ability to damage on the run, is pretty much immensely beyond horrible. The pet AI needs the ability to update itself to follow the target, second to second. Not update after it reaches the point where the enemy previously stood 5 seconds before. The pet itself runs at the same speed as an actual Character. We could have Cheetah as a pet, and it would not even be the fastest land animal in the game. It would be slower than a Warrior with Centaur runes. Been saying for years, increase pet speed, and increase attack speed on pets. Don't mind them in PvE. But come PvP or WvW....the majority of the enemy will always ignore the pet, and go for the pet owner. The pet is not seen as a threat. And since it is deemed a non-threat, then it is useless. Mesmer Clones are considered threats. Engineer gyro's are considered threats. A slew of minions of a Necromancer can be considered a threat. A pet is considered nothing more than an annoyance at best, a tickle at worst.

@KeyOrion.9506 said:The pets ability to damage on the run, is pretty much immensely beyond horrible. The pet AI needs the ability to update itself to follow the target, second to second. Not update after it reaches the point where the enemy previously stood 5 seconds before. The pet itself runs at the same speed as an actual Character. We could have Cheetah as a pet, and it would not even be the fastest land animal in the game. It would be slower than a Warrior with Centaur runes. Been saying for years, increase pet speed, and increase attack speed on pets. Don't mind them in PvE. But come PvP or WvW....the majority of the enemy will always ignore the pet, and go for the pet owner. The pet is not seen as a threat. And since it is deemed a non-threat, then it is useless. Mesmer Clones are considered threats. Engineer gyro's are considered threats. A slew of minions of a Necromancer can be considered a threat. A pet is considered nothing more than an annoyance at best, a tickle at worst.

100% correctWell said

Well pets dont need to move much in PvE as the bosses arent as evasive as actual players.

Devs dont see the issue because apparently they only test their changes via spreadsheets and static golems.

Its somewhat telling when the most effective pet/ai using class in the game currently is the mesmer.

The community has been trying for years, since well before gw2 launch, but here we still are... It's unfortunate that our main class mechanic is never really improved, but maybe someday right?

Interesting dev quote I found from before launch...

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/9788/when-are-major-pet-issues-getting-fixed

From 6/10/2011

http://tap-repeatedly.com/2011/06/exclusive-interview-arenanets-jon-peters-and-jonathan-sharp/

“Ginko (GW2G): The ranger is supposed to be the pet profession, and bringing a pet is always supposed to improve the performance of the ranger. In all of the demos so far, most rangers didn’t bother to have their pet with them during combat; they either died quickly or didn’t seem to do much when they were around. Considering the ranger class was intended to be the class that specifically focuses on playing with a pet, what does the design team want ranger/pet gameplay to be like at launch? What kinds of gameplay is ArenaNet trying to foster for the ranger so that the pet and ranger work together instead of the pet simply being similar to a random melee ally?

Jon P: I think the ranger pets are terrible right now, no one would argue with that! If you wanted to talk about least played profession, the ranger would probably be it. We’ve been making A.I changes which are slowly propagating to the pets right now, while we’ve also been looking into more radical things with the pets.Right now the pets feel like this thing you have, rather than a part of your character. Like those other professions that have undergone some radical changes, I’m hoping by the next time we show the game, or certainly before we ship, the ranger pet will have that synergy. That’s one of the biggest failings we have right now. For those that are concerned, we are also concerned but we aren’t concerned that we won’t fix it, just not right now. We are going to make it feel synergistic, but it just takes time."

@"Swagger.1459" said:The community has been trying for years, since well before gw2 launch, but here we still are... It's unfortunate that our main class mechanic is never really improved, but maybe someday right?

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/9788/when-are-major-pet-issues-getting-fixed

From 6/10/2011

http://tap-repeatedly.com/2011/06/exclusive-interview-arenanets-jon-peters-and-jonathan-sharp/

“Ginko (GW2G): The ranger is supposed to be the pet profession, and bringing a pet is always supposed to improve the performance of the ranger. In all of the demos so far, most rangers didn’t bother to have their pet with them during combat; they either died quickly or didn’t seem to do much when they were around. Considering the ranger class was intended to be the class that specifically focuses on playing with a pet, what does the design team want ranger/pet gameplay to be like at launch? What kinds of gameplay is ArenaNet trying to foster for the ranger so that the pet and ranger work together instead of the pet simply being similar to a random melee ally?

Jon P: I think the ranger pets are terrible right now, no one would argue with that! If you wanted to talk about least played profession, the ranger would probably be it. We’ve been making A.I changes which are slowly propagating to the pets right now, while we’ve also been looking into more radical things with the pets.Right now the pets feel like this thing you have, rather than a part of your character. Like those other professions that have undergone some radical changes, I’m hoping by the next time we show the game, or certainly before we ship, the ranger pet will have that synergy. That’s one of the biggest failings we have right now. For those that are concerned, we are also concerned but we aren’t concerned that we won’t fix it, just not right now. We are going to make it feel synergistic, but it just takes time."

Wow, how did you find this?You must LOVE and main a ranger =P

ArenaNet has improved the pet since this interview in many ways and it is still that bad. At the release of gw2 the pet couldn't hit other moving PvE enemies and the player could not control the pet.If I remember right, the shout skills had the function of the pet F1 and F3 skills. With guard you could position your pet in an area and the pet canceled the own attack, if the enemy left this small area. Protect me was simply a 'come back' order. As a beastmaster you had a broken pet and you have to waste your utility skills.

We fought really hard to get this bad state of the pet :s

@Aleksander Suburb.4287 said:ArenaNet has improved the pet since this interview in many ways and it is still that bad. At the release of gw2 the pet couldn't hit other moving PvE enemies and the player could not control the pet.If I remember right, the shout skills had the function of the pet F1 and F3 skills. With guard you could position your pet in an area and the pet canceled the own attack, if the enemy left this small area. Protect me was simply a 'come back' order. As a beastmaster you had a broken pet and you have to waste your utility skills.

We fought really hard to get this bad state of the pet :s

A position skill is still missing though.An easy way to improve pet performane is to increase their movement speed and give them shadowsteps when you command them. One at your target (for melee pets only) and one back to you.They should finally fix the wonky precision calculations and streamline them for all pets and ofc all F2s that are outdated need improvements.

The low hanging fruit here, from a dev perspective, would be to simply imcrease the range of all attacks so that the pet can inititate and land their attacks even if the target isnt superclose. They have increased the range of some pets melee attacks, and they have somewhat improved because of it. Star by increasing the range across the board to 200 and see how that goes. Keep tweaking the range until acceptable hit % is achieved.

@FASTCAR.7831 said:

@"Swagger.1459" said:The community has been trying for years, since well before gw2 launch, but here we still are... It's unfortunate that our main class mechanic is never really improved, but maybe someday right?

From 6/10/2011

Anet tried to hide that in the dark webz, but I persevered

@Swagger.1459 said:

@Swagger.1459 said:The community has been trying for years, since well before gw2 launch, but here we still are... It's unfortunate that our main class mechanic is never really improved, but maybe someday right?

From 6/10/2011

Anet tried to hide that in the dark webz, but I persevered

Nice

@OGDeadHead.8326 said:The low hanging fruit here, from a dev perspective, would be to simply imcrease the range of all attacks so that the pet can inititate and land their attacks even if the target isnt superclose. They have increased the range of some pets melee attacks, and they have somewhat improved because of it. Star by increasing the range across the board to 200 and see how that goes. Keep tweaking the range until acceptable hit % is achieved.

Giving the F1 a shadowstep to target for melee pets would be nice to and could be used to ambush targets mire easily. Additionally it would give more insentive to use F1 instead of letting it fight brain afk.A shadowstep to you when pressing return to me would be nice too.

A total re -vamp would be lots of work( this the job they picked ...right?)That said, LITERALLY 50-100% more base (run) speed would fix things just fineIt cant take more then 10 seconds to fix the code .

Range pets could use a bit of love,for now run speed would be niceA-net please fix thisATT: A-NETHere, I will pay out of pocket for the 10 sec for a Dev to make pets run faster, No joke.Message me a paypal for his/her 10 sec of time.100% serious

Semper FiGunny

Archived