Soulbeast Combos, Tricks and Guides.

bigo.9037

@bigo.9037 said:

@whoknocks.4935 said:Those tricks are so helpful :D thanks a lot.

Btw do you think there are other choices over longbow/greatsword?

Everyone keeps telling me that it's a noob stomper build, and against good players it's very easy to outplay, is it true?

Do you play other roaming builds and have other tips as well?

For Roaming in WvW this is the best build. For sPVP you have more good builds, due to the fact you should play like a team, many fights are on medium and melee range etc. I don't know who are those ppl (everyone), but when you are roaming and most of the fights are in open space, believe me, that LB is your best friend and GS is your second friend. Matter if it is or not a "noob stomper build" if you can do your job done ?! Did you ask a warrior to not use his passive defensive skills because are too op, or thief to not use his invisibility because it is too annoying? I don't think so ... Conclusion, we should use whatever we have to win the fights. Ofc if you want to play at limits, hardcore, challenging, you can choose to play a build with Shortbow and dagger+torch ... maybe then those "everyone" will be happy and they will congratulate you :D .

Everyone keeps telling me that it's a noob stomper build, and against good players it's very easy to outplay, is it true?

spvp weapons are different because ranger builds are all about sustain and holding a node. roaming is different because the objective of the build is to kill the enemy. sword, warhorn, daggers or axe are kinda bad at that in comparison to gs and lb.

every time I fight a ranger that uses 1 different weapon it usually doesn't go very well for them. sword/warhorn is popular.. but it's honestly pretty useless for solo roaming except for 1 extra blast finisher.

you have 1 more evade but you can't kill any players with warhorn 4 and auto attack alone. gs has stuns, evades, gap closer/openers, block and KB + higher dmg. not to mention really OP auto attack chain that includes a full 0.75s evade frame which is an entire dodge roll.

LB speaks for itself I think..

With noob stomper build i mean it's very effective on bad player, the ones who random attack into gs block, or the ones who didn't gap close when you are on longbow.

Everyone keeps reepating me that good players can outplay pretty easily lb + gs more than the other sets like axe axe or sword warhorn.

I tend to struggle a lot against good warriors a lot, and holosmiths too...

by that metric you should have a lot of trouble playing as spellbreaker too cus their attacks are very telegraphed and not complex. I think this is more of an issue because the way you play. if you are new to ranger it's likely you have a very predictable rotation that other playerd can easily out-rotate.

with gs/lb you should have no problems fighting any warriors. the main problem with holo is that they get stab off your pet and are otherwise matched pretty evenly against soulbeast. losing to them is fairly normal in wvw as soulbeast. at least if they are good.

if you've ever played against some realllyyy good warriors you'll understand that even the most basic build you think is easy to understand and counter because it's simple can be extremely deadly in the hands of a player who uses it correctly.

gw2 is very much a mind game when it comes to 1v1.

That's true, now trying to use more your build for roaming and I am having more success, before i was using stone signet and the two survival stunbreaks, but now using both moa and dolyak stance plus lighting reflexes (dunno if quickening zephyr is a better choice tho), I love dolyak stance especially for the immunity to immobilize which destroy rangers pretty badly.

Against warriors i have more success camping greatsword, when they kill me is always when i have longbow out and i fail both stun and stealth arrows or because they dodge or because they reflect perfectly. Of course if they try kite me away for some odd reason i punish them using longbow, but good warriors tend to be always melee range as they should.

Maybe you could make a video in which you show fighting tips, or the tips you described here put in practice, no need with voice, i guess pausing the vid and putting some text in overlay could be decent.

Like: In this fight i kite using gs3, then turn back trying to land a stun, thene nter beastmode yada yada yada.

Thanks again :D

@whoknocks.4935 said:

For Roaming in WvW this is the best build. For sPVP you have more good builds, due to the fact you should play like a team, many fights are on medium and melee range etc. I don't know who are those ppl (everyone), but when you are roaming and most of the fights are in open space, believe me, that LB is your best friend and GS is your second friend. Matter if it is or not a "noob stomper build" if you can do your job done ?! Did you ask a warrior to not use his passive defensive skills because are too op, or thief to not use his invisibility because it is too annoying? I don't think so ... Conclusion, we should use whatever we have to win the fights. Ofc if you want to play at limits, hardcore, challenging, you can choose to play a build with Shortbow and dagger+torch ... maybe then those "everyone" will be happy and they will congratulate you :D .

spvp weapons are different because ranger builds are all about sustain and holding a node. roaming is different because the objective of the build is to kill the enemy. sword, warhorn, daggers or axe are kinda bad at that in comparison to gs and lb.

every time I fight a ranger that uses 1 different weapon it usually doesn't go very well for them. sword/warhorn is popular.. but it's honestly pretty useless for solo roaming except for 1 extra blast finisher.

you have 1 more evade but you can't kill any players with warhorn 4 and auto attack alone. gs has stuns, evades, gap closer/openers, block and KB + higher dmg. not to mention really OP auto attack chain that includes a full 0.75s evade frame which is an entire dodge roll.

With noob stomper build i mean it's very effective on bad player, the ones who random attack into gs block, or the ones who didn't gap close when you are on longbow.

Everyone keeps reepating me that good players can outplay pretty easily lb + gs more than the other sets like axe axe or sword warhorn.

by that metric you should have a lot of trouble playing as spellbreaker too cus their attacks are very telegraphed and not complex. I think this is more of an issue because the way you play. if you are new to ranger it's likely you have a very predictable rotation that other playerd can easily out-rotate.

with gs/lb you should have no problems fighting any warriors. the main problem with holo is that they get stab off your pet and are otherwise matched pretty evenly against soulbeast. losing to them is fairly normal in wvw as soulbeast. at least if they are good.

if you've ever played against some realllyyy good warriors you'll understand that even the most basic build you think is easy to understand and counter because it's simple can be extremely deadly in the hands of a player who uses it correctly.

That's true, now trying to use more your build for roaming and I am having more success, before i was using stone signet and the two survival stunbreaks, but now using both moa and dolyak stance plus lighting reflexes (dunno if quickening zephyr is a better choice tho), I love dolyak stance especially for the immunity to immobilize which destroy rangers pretty badly.

Against warriors i have more success camping greatsword, when they kill me is always when i have longbow out and i fail both stun and stealth arrows or because they dodge or because they reflect perfectly. Of course if they try kite me away for some odd reason i punish them using longbow, but good warriors tend to be always melee range as they should.

Maybe you could make a video in which you show fighting tips, or the tips you described here put in practice, no need with voice, i guess pausing the vid and putting some text in overlay could be decent.

Like: In this fight i kite using gs3, then turn back trying to land a stun, thene nter beastmode yada yada yada.

Vs Warrior, one of the best trait line is Unstoppable Union. The fight vs warrior must be most of the time in normal form (not in beastmode). Try to use beastform only for unblockable hits or when you used already your stunbreak and you are stunned by warrior. From my POV warrior is one of the easiest class to beat when you are Soulbeast. Ofc sometimes it takes lots of seconds or can be a draw. The idea is to no camp too long in Beast form, in fact, in most of the fights Soulbeast shouldn't camp too much in Beast mode, but he must change all the time between pets and beastmode, we must use both pets skills and beastmode pet skills.

@Dragonzhunter.8506 said:

Vs Warrior, one of the best trait line is Unstoppable Union. The fight vs warrior must be most of the time in normal form (not in beastmode). Try to use beastform only for unblockable hits or when you used already your stunbreak and you are stunned by warrior. From my POV warrior is one of the easiest class to beat when you are Soulbeast. Ofc sometimes it takes lots of seconds or can be a draw. The idea is to no camp too long in Beast form, in fact, in most of the fights Soulbeast shouldn't camp too much in Beast mode, but he must change all the time between pets and beastmode, we must use both pets skills and beastmode pet skills.

But i prefer to stay actually more seconds in beast mode for the extra stats and especially no to random proc full counter, when out of beastmode my pet end up always hit full counter because im too slow to retreat it.

Another thing is, good warrior land burst skills into the pet to stack adrenaline health, so i tend and prefer to have the pet around the minimum time possible.

Unstoppable union mess up only their shield block, other than that there aren't other blocks like guardian has so you need go in and out beastmode in my opinion.

@whoknocks.4935 said:But i prefer to stay actually more seconds in beast mode for the extra stats and especially no to random proc full counter, when out of beastmode my pet end up always hit full counter because im too slow to retreat it.

Another thing is, good warrior land burst skills into the pet to stack adrenaline health, so i tend and prefer to have the pet around the minimum time possible.

Unstoppable union mess up only their shield block, other than that there aren't other blocks like guardian has so you need go in and out beastmode in my opinion.

I understand why do you prefer to stay more in beast mode but overall is not efficient. You get more benefit when you are using pets abilities than staying in Beastmode. Usually, Beast mode should be used for his F1, F2 and F3, then for the period of CD you should use pet abilities. The extra stats are ok when you are in a safe area, but when you have pressure on you it's better to use pet stealth abilities, knockdown etc ...Regarding unstoppable, yes it is useful only against shield block, that's why I 'll fight vs warrior in normal mode and when he blocks with his shield I go into Beastmode and hit him with everything I've got. After that, I'll go out fast from the beast mode and use pet abilities also because I want to be ready to use the other pet or other Beastmode. From my experience, the best results you get when you mixed between Beast mode and normal mode and pets swap. That is the reason I don't want Anet to change Soulbeast, as some ppl asking, so you can't change pet in Beastmode because otherwise if you can swap pets in beastmode, rangers will camp forever beastmode.

@whoknocks.4935 said:

yeah I might make a video we'll see. I have a few other things planned already so not sure exactly when it'll be out

@bigo.9037 said:

yeah I might make a video we'll see. I have a few other things planned already so not sure exactly when it'll be out

If you planned other roaming videos those would be accepted as well :D> @Dragonzhunter.8506 said:

@whoknocks.4935 said:But i prefer to stay actually more seconds in beast mode for the extra stats and especially no to random proc full counter, when out of beastmode my pet end up always hit full counter because im too slow to retreat it.

I understand why do you prefer to stay more in beast mode but overall is not efficient. You get more benefit when you are using pets abilities than staying in Beastmode. Usually, Beast mode should be used for his F1, F2 and F3, then for the period of CD you should use pet abilities. The extra stats are ok when you are in a safe area, but when you have pressure on you it's better to use pet stealth abilities, knockdown etc ...Regarding unstoppable, yes it is useful only against shield block, that's why I 'll fight vs warrior in normal mode and when he blocks with his shield I go into Beastmode and hit him with everything I've got. After that, I'll go out fast from the beast mode and use pet abilities also because I want to be ready to use the other pet or other Beastmode. From my experience, the best results you get when you mixed between Beast mode and normal mode and pets swap. That is the reason I don't want Anet to change Soulbeast, as some ppl asking, so you can change pet in Beastmode because in this way rangers will camp forever beastmode.

I am not saying I camp beastmode for minutes haha

But when I enter beastmode especially in smokescale I tend not to spam the F abilities right away.I usually do the F2 and make a dodgeroll at the end of the animation because it is when you are more vulnerable, but as the OP advice I try to hold on with the knockback and worldy impact, because good players always expect F2 into F1 into wordly impact, so they are luckily to waste a dodge in there, you kite a bit and when see an opportunity F1 into F3 or any other burst skill you got.

You don't have much benefits if you enter beastmode and none of the F abilities hit the target and leave beastmode immediately.

But I know the necessity to have a mix of both, for example if the smokescale already procced a stunbreak of the enemy with his cc you have more chances later to hit your F1 successfully.

What I find a bit clunky is the pet swap, for example I am in smokescale soulbeast and i get pressured a lot by condis i have to exit beastmode, swap pet to owl wait almost 10 seconds before entering again and use the abilities I need.At least i run the pet swap trait which give superspeed and cleanse 2 condis bc it is a survival skill, and that helps a lot in kiting.

@scerevisiae.1972 said:

@Dragonzhunter.8506 said:That is the reason I don't want Anet to change Soulbeast, as some ppl asking, so you can change pet in Beastmode because in this way rangers will camp forever beastmode.

that's exactly what most rangers want, to not have to be forced to use the kitten pet.

Sorry, maybe my english is not good enough, and I re-edited my post, I don't want pets to be swapped in beastmode, otherwise, Rangers will camp beastmode forever.And I think old and good rangers don't want pets to be swapped in beastmode, neither.Camping beastmode it will make rangers petless ... as I already said, they will become that druid from World of Warcraft or other games ...

@"Dragonzhunter.8506" said:I don't want pets to be swapped in beastmode, otherwise, Rangers will camp beastmode forever.And I think old and good rangers don't want pets to be swapped in beastmode, neither.Camping beastmode it will make rangers petless ... as I already said, they will become that druid from World of Warcraft or other games ...

Disagree. I do want rangers to be petless (or at least have the option to be). Pets have always been bad in MMOs but Anet's version of pet is the worst implementation ever. The AI is so bad, the reliability so low, and the skills so inconsequential (compared to player skills) that it is my fervent hope that Anet realises their blunder and reworks the ranger to not have a pet at all, or maybe just have a pet as a trait in beastmastery.

Not to mention, WOW druid is a much better "ranger" than GW2 ranger, and the correct comparison would be to WOW's hunter, not druid, and WOW hunter pet still sucks but it is at least somewhat durable and reliable as a source of damage.

Soulbeast as a spec also fails because one is more or less forced to swap in/out of beastmode in order to maximise effectiveness. Most rangers don't want this, they just want to stay in soulbeast mode and swap pets there.

@scerevisiae.1972 said:

@"Dragonzhunter.8506" said:I don't want pets to be swapped in beastmode, otherwise, Rangers will camp beastmode forever.And I think old and good rangers don't want pets to be swapped in beastmode, neither.Camping beastmode it will make rangers petless ... as I already said, they will become that druid from World of Warcraft or other games ...

Disagree. I do want rangers to be petless (or at least have the option to be). Pets have always been bad in MMOs but Anet's version of pet is the worst implementation ever. The AI is so bad, the reliability so low, and the skills so inconsequential (compared to player skills) that it is my fervent hope that Anet realises their blunder and reworks the ranger to not have a pet at all, or maybe just have a pet as a trait in beastmastery.

Not to mention, WOW druid is a much better "ranger" than GW2 ranger, and the correct comparison would be to WOW's hunter, not druid, and WOW hunter pet still sucks but it is at least somewhat durable and reliable as a source of damage.

Soulbeast as a spec also fails because one is more or less forced to swap in/out of beastmode in order to maximise effectiveness. Most rangers don't want this, they just want to stay in soulbeast mode and swap pets there.

I'm fine with pets. I do not want pet swapping in beastmode. Soulbeast is the most effective (in PvP) when swapping in and out.

Also, soulbeast is the strongest spec for ranger atm. Maximizing your effectiveness by merging and unmerging =/= failed spec.

@scerevisiae.1972 said:

It is ok if you disagree. But petless ranger will not be ranger anymore. The GW2 ranger concept was a class with range weapon + a pet. If you really want a petless ranger, I think you should play another class, who don't have a pet.

I don't understand how can be much better WOW Druid than GW2 Ranger ? Did you see a duel between WOW Druid and GW2 Ranger? Or you are saying this just because in your opinion WOW druid beat any other classes in WOW and GW2 Ranger didn't in Guild Wars 2, because much better this means for me. Well, I don't know what spec/build do you play with GW2 Ranger, but with my spec/build (not mine, there are many other rangers who use it) I can beat any classes, in both mode sPVP and WvW, and I enjoy this class more than other classes (ofc I have all classes in this game).

Definitely, you have a wrong spec or you just don't know yet how to play Soulbeast. I don't know who are these "Most rangers", because all good rangers I know (including good rangers from this forum) they like Soulbeast as it is atm. The beauty of playing this class is exactly the fact you must know how "to play on piano", to know when and how to swap pets, to choose the right pets in that way that they complete each other with their abilities, in other word, you must know the timing of your ranger skills+beastmode skill+pets skills. I said before, rangers is like elementalist and engineer, they have more keys for skills than other classes, so are harder to play, but once you manage to play these classes, you will have the most enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...

I run my soulbeast with Jacaranda, my survivability goes up really high and honestly I get accused of hacking cause you know..thats totally an original insult XD. Jacaranda in soulbeast mode is WONDERFUL in dungeons, PVE, and even in pvp. Reason why is that the soulbeast ability can heal and reprieve conditions from allies, and heal yourself. Which essentially gives you a total of 3 healing abilities as a soulbeast. This enables me to utilize other skills to move fast and hit hard. Works great and only class I have issues with are the mesmers. Though if you can track them and see which is the real one you can burn him pretty quick no problem. Just watch for patterns and be patient, wait for them to use their skills the first 5-10 seconds then go after them.

@Tinnel.4369 said:@bigo.9037 Mind sharing your actual build? Or at least your kit? Curious where/how you're getting the 400 healing and putting it to use.

quite simple. gs/ lb, WS, BM and SB, if you want heals go rune of durability or something with boon duration and protection proc, moastance, protect me and a few pieces of zealots armor or trinkets.

@bigo.9037 said:

@Tinnel.4369 said:@bigo.9037 Mind sharing your actual build? Or at least your kit? Curious where/how you're getting the 400 healing and putting it to use.

quite simple. gs/ lb, WS, BM and SB, if you want heals go rune of durability or something with boon duration and protection proc, moastance, protect me and a few pieces of zealots armor or trinkets.

Thanks, figured something along the lines of zealots or clerics. Dusting mine off, but with speed runes. Will have to find some boon duration elsewhere.

@Tinnel.4369 said:

Thanks, figured something along the lines of zealots or clerics. Dusting mine off, but with speed runes. Will have to find some boon duration elsewhere.

if you really want that you can go nature magic. I don't use the build anymore. I focus more on dmg just because it's more fun and I'm also using rune of speed. you can outplay much essier with the movement speed.

Archived