Several game crashes since update (2018-03-27)

My game keeps crashing repeatedly since the latest update. Anyone else having the same issue?

I was always standing in one spot for several minutes when the error occurred, also in random locations (DR, Citadel,...).

P.S. I am currently running a data archive repair and will update this thread, if that will solve the issue.

[uPDATE] The repair did not fix the issue.

I've had nothing but bugs since the update downloaded today. First, the log in screen forgot my password and wouldn't let me copy/paste it back in. Then, when I manually typed it in, the log in wouldn't take it until the 3rd try. When I finally got logged in, the game wouldn't load after hitting the PLAY button. I rebooted 3 times before the game would actually start. When it finally started, it crashed minutes later when my character walked into the Great Hall, giving me a Report Error box. When I tried to restart the game, it crashed again twice without even loading, giving me the Report Error box again both times. This may be the buggiest update I've dealt with on any software. I'm gonna go watch Netflix for a couple of hours to give the techies a bit of time to sort things out on Anets end before I try again.

Things went much smoother after today's 2nd update. No log in problems. Ran through a Norn story instance without any crashes. So far so good. Dailies will reset just a couple of minutes after I post this. Hopefully things will continue to go well as many of us jump all over the place doing those dailies.

• ArenaNet Staff

Hey guys,

Rumor has it that one or more third-party programs do not play nicely with our game, as of yesterday's update. As you know, we don't vet, approve, support, or condone the use of such programs, and naturally we're not going to re-engineer the game to work with whatever-the-heck that program may be. But if you are using a third-party program, that may be a cause for crashes and you should consider uninstalling it to see if that corrects the issue.

If you are not using a third-party program and are having crashing issues, the best way to get support is to contact CS through a ticket.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:If you are not using a third-party program and are having crashing issues, the best way to get support is to contact CS through a ticket.

I wasn't using any third-party programs in connection with GW2 when the crashes occured. Also, GW2 is put in the list of exceptions for my anti-virus. So...

Anyway, no more crashes for me after the second patch.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:If you are not using a third-party program and are having crashing issues, the best way to get support is to contact CS through a ticket.

I wasn't using any third-party programs in connection with GW2 when the crashes occured. Also, GW2 is put in the list of exceptions for my anti-virus. So...

Anyway, no more crashes for me after the second patch.

I have to correct myself. Just crashed again.

The source of the error is always the same for me: ..\Riding\RidingContent. (with being an extension I forgot, will screenshot it next time)

I'm not running any 3rd party software related to Guild Wars 2 on my PC. Beginning after the patch on Tuesday, I immediately started having crashes. They only occurred while standing on the Royal Terrace in Divinity's Reach. Each time I was doing nothing but typing in the chat box. I've had 10 of the crashes since Tuesday morning. Before then, my last crash escapes my memory.

Something changed ...

If you are 100% certain it's not 3rd party tool causing crashes, you may do the following:

1. Open your %appdata% folder, go to Guild Wars 2 directory, remove what's inside (it's going to reset your login, password and in-game graphic and sound settings)
  2. Go to %temp% folder, find directory called "gw2cache-{random numebers chain} and remove it altogether.

If the game is still crashing, follow Gaile's advice and submit support ticket. I have 0 issues with running the game, no crashes, no dcs (other than my router hiccups). I'm not using 3rd party apps. So there must be the problem on your sides, not game's.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:If you are 100% certain it's not 3rd party tool causing crashes, you may do the following:

1. Open your %appdata% folder, go to Guild Wars 2 directory, remove what's inside (it's going to reset your login, password and in-game graphic and sound settings)
  2. Go to %temp% folder, find directory called "gw2cache-{random numebers chain} and remove it altogether.

If the game is still crashing, follow Gaile's advice and submit support ticket. I have 0 issues with running the game, no crashes, no dcs (other than my router hiccups). I'm not using 3rd party apps. So there must be the problem on your sides, not game's.

I always clean the temporary folder before I shut down my PC, using CCleaner. Also, the appdata folder holds screenshots as well, so advising to delete the whole thing isn't smart. Furthermore, my settings have zero to do with this issue.

And saying it was a problem on our end, is pretty impertinent. These types of issues have occured several times before in the past and were always fixed when new patches were downloaded - so it's not people's computer's fault, especially when they aren't using third party software other than their firewall and anti-virus.

Archived