Next weapon for Guardian's Elite

Regon Phoenix.8215

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am going with rifle or pistol off hand.We NEED more range weapons with guardian, something PURELY offense in the off hand to help with scepter's DPS. or just something that hit decently froma distance.We only have scepter and Longbow in terms of range.

The Axe was a disappointment, i don't think we really needed it. Shortbow, rifle or pistol off hand is what we needed.When I heard the name "Firebrand", Personally I was hoping for Flamethrower Rifle. Guardian with a Rifle.Rifle that shoots magical flames. "Brand your foes with magical flames from your rifle" hence Firebrand.Instead we got an axe... basically a copy paste scepter... close range and less DPS... dreadful

Rifle can be a long range condi weapon...I think? which is good considering we don't have a 1,200(+)condi option. But I do really hope if it would be any weapon, it would be a viable healer in both wvw and pve side.

Also thematically, am inquisitor with blunderbuss/shotgun would be amazing!

• 2 months later...

@Applesauce.5271 said:I picked rifle but I'd want it to play more like a shotgun, give it 800-900 range and make it a nice bleed/fire condition or a hard hitting high cooldown power weapon and virtues could be ammo types

That virtue ammo type thing sounds epic af.

Justice = Incendiary RoundsResolve = Soft Cc’s and self healsCourage = Hard Cc’s and aegis

Though probably to close to Engineer to be implemented.

I either want Rifle (power), Shortbow (conditions, mobility) or Offhand Sword (Ripostes, Power).I want “Prayers” as the utilities. For a true crusader feel.

I kind of want a cold-themed spec. Normal guardians fight with allies and use fire, but what about when a guardian must fight alone? The only chilling we can do currently comes from the Glacial Heart trait. I know that wounds heal worse in cold and dry environments, so maybe this could work with daggers for a chilling/bleeding build? It could also maybe work with offhand mace with a trait that makes mace/hammer do more damage when target is chilled? Maybe decrease the effectiveness of healing while chilled?

@Edelweiss.4261 said:I kind of want a cold-themed spec. Normal guardians fight with allies and use fire, but what about when a guardian must fight alone? The only chilling we can do currently comes from the Glacial Heart trait. I know that wounds heal worse in cold and dry environments, so maybe this could work with daggers for a chilling/bleeding build? It could also maybe work with offhand mace with a trait that makes mace/hammer do more damage when target is chilled? Maybe decrease the effectiveness of healing while chilled?

Yeah. I thought about chill based guardian for a while. It could and should work.

@Edelweiss.4261 said:I kind of want a cold-themed spec. Normal guardians fight with allies and use fire, but what about when a guardian must fight alone? The only chilling we can do currently comes from the Glacial Heart trait. I know that wounds heal worse in cold and dry environments, so maybe this could work with daggers for a chilling/bleeding build? It could also maybe work with offhand mace with a trait that makes mace/hammer do more damage when target is chilled? Maybe decrease the effectiveness of healing while chilled?

Really like this idea. There is precedent for this too! After the elite specs were revealed for PoF and each got their own lil promo video, I recall devs mentioning that the entire boon-ripping theme of Spellbreaker was actually based on a single trait, Destruction of the Empowered. I don't see why this couldn't be explored with guardian.

Either way, I'd love for the next thematic step of guardian to be based around expanding what guardian is capable of offensively, and I think adding an element (or replacing fire with the new added element) is one of the best ways to do that.

Considering that Guard already ahve a spec for power (DH) and condition (FB), I hope the next elite spec to focus on healing and is able to compete with Druids, the Firebrand support can't compete with. For a healer, I think that Mace off-hand makes more sense. Or a short bow as well, but I prefer they to fix staff to be more viable as ranged support weapon.

@Mikau.6920 said:Considering that Guard already ahve a spec for power (DH) and condition (FB), I hope the next elite spec to focus on healing and is able to compete with Druids, the Firebrand support can't compete with. For a healer, I think that Mace off-hand makes more sense. Or a short bow as well, but I prefer they to fix staff to be more viable as ranged support weapon.

Support/healing firebrand is already a thing for raids. It is of course still second to druid but for many raid bosses it does the job just as well. I think a better idea would be for the warhorn elite spec for guardian (because you know it's coming) to bring some unique buff/ability/mechanic to the table that will be useful and perhaps supplementary to the current chrono-druid meta. There really isn't much to supplement, but a new elite spec that tries to complete with them will also compete with Firebrand and likely end up being redundant/boring for the pvp/wvw-minded players.

• 2 weeks later...

Thankfully we already have the torch as part of the base profession, so we can't be inevitably disappointed by an off-hand torch reveal. Warhorn is most likely, as it's one of the last most obvious weapon choices for a guardian. Not sure why this is unlisted as an option while off-hand exclusive weapons are listed for mainhand.

Personally I do like the idea of an off-hand pistol. It kinda goes against ANet's initial philosophy of the Guardian being the most anti-tech of the heavy armors, though I kinda think that Revanant as a retrospective-oriented class (i.e., legends) should take up that mantle instead. But it would make for an interesting aesthetic choice. As an off-hand weapon, I would see it more akin to the thief off-hand pistol, being used for more short/mid-range abilities so that it could pair well with the sword and/or mace instead of the scepter. You could even play with the idea of the pistol by replacing the standard virtues with a modified version that uses an ammo mechanic, which would have an interesting interaction with Renewed Focus.

Archived