Can we change gyros a bit?

Zefrost.3425

(Other than making it so that gyros are better at following you)I actually prefer the current concept rather than people hoping some little orb is above your head or something. One trick than you can currently do is activate a gyro to halve the damage when a revenant uses unrelenting assault. There's also counterplay to the sneak gyro's stealth, unlike some other stealth abilities. Anyway:

Medic Gyro: The toolbelt skill is fine. I'd like to see the gyro's pulse heal changed to grant barrier instead, however.

Bulwark Gyro: The toolbelt skill should pulse stability. Feels odd that it doesn't. The bulwark gyro itself is good.

Purge Gyro: I suppose the gyro itself is fine, although it doesn't provide a unique buff. The toolbelt skill, however, should change. I'd like to see a new toolbelt skill that follows the same theme as medic and bulwark gyros (effect placed on the player itself). Something along the lines of pulsing resistance in a 300 radius around the player character. Just make the effect an upscaled visual of the resistance boon centered on the player character.

Blast Gyro: Make the toolbelt skill pulse superspeed around the player character and perhaps make it pulse 5 times for a total of 5 second of superspeed.As for the gyro itself, the tagged player is inflicted with taunt that taunts towards the blast gyro (would be hilarious to see IMO lol) That would be a 1500 range taunt - not bad. It might have to pulse taunt on the tagged player in order for the gyro distance/tracking to work but stop pulsing taunt if a stunbreaker is used or however it works if stability is granted.

Sneak Gyro: The toolbelt and the gyro are fine.

Shredder Gyro: You could go a million places with this one. Either way, it needs a rework for the toolbelt skill and the gyro. I'm just going to throw an idea out there that would be awesome: The shredder gyro now implodes by beginning at 180 radius that sucks players in towards it. As players get sucks in, the radius increases from 180 to 240, to 300, etc. continually sucking in more players (maximum player cap of 20 [or mob cap if you're into pve]) As the radius increases, so does the size of the gyro. Players take minimal damage as it's spinning but take a massive amount of damage at the end implosion depending on how many players were sucked in. Players with stability are able to get free since the gyro will pulse its pull ability. However, since it pulses pull, they would need more than 1 stack of stability. The gyro also is a growing lightning field that also is a whirl finisher that causes 25 stacks of vulnerability on players in it and launches players when it implodes.

Basically, it would be exactly like the Implode god power from age of mythology the titans.

You know that'd be hilarious in WvW lmfao. That would be the counterplay to scourges. SeemsGood. New meta all scrapper squad? Kappa

For medic Gyro, I wouldn't wanna see it taking away its healing. Barrier might be better for a dive, but it takes away its ability to help you rebuild HP while kiting. An interesting combo would be to have Healing gryo pulse Barrier when it gains protection, allowing you to combo the tool belt for 5 seconds of barrier upkeep.

I understand the reasoning behind the single stack, as they want this to support as an attack opening, or a defense hold. Skills pulse stun or daze, or classes which can apply multiple stuns in succession, makes pulsed stability unreliable (stab after the fact doesn't undo the disable). Boon strip is also an intended counter play. The fact this skill got Stab at all was meant to address all the "unblockables' PoF specs started getting.

The Chemical Field on purge gyro is to give the Scrapper additional weakness. This is one of the most underrated conditions, as it can cripple a power centered by cutting their crit rate in half. If anything needs fixing on the purge gyro is its awkward targeting mechanic. Its not an AOE clear, but will randomly target ONE ally, and remove 2 conditions from them. If you're the only in the gyro, then its not a big deal. But if even 2 people are in range, its reliability drops rapidly. If they wanted to go with a unique mechanic, I'd like to see the gryo cleanse 2 conditions from the Scrapper, and then remove one or both of the same type of condition from up to 5 allies in its range.

Blast gyro..... now you're just going too far with this.....

Shredder - I'm starting to notice a Patten here with you not entirely grasping how powerful hard CCs are in this game. Go fight the Blood stone Shark, and tell me its AOE pulsed pull isn't OP as hell by even Legendary mob standards.

The purge gyro for what ever reason only convents the first clear when running Purity of Purpose i love to see this always convent as well as become aoe.

Shredder Gyro needs a buff but i cant realty think of what that should be maybe a reflection?

I updated my mega-thread with Scrapper suggestions today, here are the gyro snips:

General Gyro Changes:

Due to lack of incentive to keep Gyros alive, (pathing, A.I, longer cooldown), Gyros have been tweaked to be more reliable and never punished for being kept alive longer.

Cooldown of Gyros begins on activation, not death.Cooldown of Bulwark, Purge, Shredder, Medic increased to 25 seconds cooldown in all game modes.Maximum Gyro lifespan set to 15s for Bulwark, Purge, Medic.

Utility skills1.) Medic Gyro: Reconstruction Field instant to return to consistency with Defense Field.

2.) Medic Gyro: Heals in a 600 radius to be consistent with Bulwark's Watchful Eye buff.

3.) Purge Gyro: Removes conditions as a caster with 600 range instead of pathing to and booping allies.

4.) Shredder Gyro: Each strike from shredder gyro rends the protection boon from enemies.

5.) Spare Capacitor: Dazes over the 4 pulses, daze duration reduced from 2s to .5s.

@"Chaith.8256" said:Cooldown of Gyros begins on activation, not death.

The irony is strong with this one. This is a bug I have reported ages ago. It is about as old as the gyros themselves and literally means what you suggest. I keep reminding them about it once in a while, always with the same result, nothing. So by now I tend to believe it is a feature and intended to work like that.

If you activate a gyro and switch the skill on that slot before the gyro's lifetime ends, it still explodes. But if you switch back to the gyro, it appears that the cooldown started upon summoning. The variable used for the fuel and the cooldown appears to be the same. When detonating the gyro normally, the variable gets reset. If the skill is switched however, the variable not gets reset ^^.

Why did I bother to report it? The update from 01/26/2016 intended to nerf the sneak-gyro, to prevent perma-stealth. The above mentioned bug turns this nerf 100% obsolete.

After years of silence, I have seen a developer on this board a few weeks ago. So instead of boring the exploit-team once again, I give it a last try here.

@HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

@"Chaith.8256" said:Cooldown of Gyros begins on activation, not death.

The irony is strong with this one. This is a bug I have reported ages ago. It is about as old as the gyros themselves and literally means what you suggest. I keep reminding them about it once in a while, always with the same result, nothing. So by now I tend to believe it is a feature and intended to work like that.

If you activate a gyro and switch the skill on that slot before the gyro's lifetime ends, it still explodes. But if you switch back to the gyro, it appears that the cooldown started upon summoning. The variable used for the fuel and the cooldown appears to be the same. When detonating the gyro normally, the variable gets reset. If the skill is switched however, the variable not gets reset ^^.

Why did I bother to report it? The update from
intended to nerf the sneak-gyro, to prevent perma-stealth. The above mentioned bug turns this nerf 100% obsolete.

After years of silence, I have seen a developer on this board a few weeks ago. So instead of boring the exploit-team once again, I give it a last try here.

Interesting.. However, this bug is irrelevant in combat and PvP as it requires the switching of utilities.

I'm suggesting that the in combat, (in PvP too) cooldown of Gyros will start on activation, and not requiring the switching of utilities. It would fix the bug as well

@Conncept.7638 said:Better question: Can we completely remove gyros and replace them with non-AI skills that actually fit the scrappers theme and compliment its mechanics?

Maybe it would be better if gyros were a different version of core engineers' kits? The scrapper gets its' own kits that do what gyros do currently only this time you don't have to rely on AI.

@Hoodie.1045 said:

@Conncept.7638 said:Better question: Can we completely remove gyros and replace them with non-AI skills that actually fit the scrappers theme and compliment its mechanics?

Maybe it would be better if gyros were a different version of core engineers' kits? The scrapper gets its' own kits that do what gyros do currently only this time you don't have to rely on AI.

I'd enjoy that personally but I know that any balance dev would envision Scrapper playing differently than core.

My vote was always to have gyro themed skill effects and animations but essentialy no separate entity.

IE: use medic gyro, there's an animated gyro over your head and you pulse healing around you.

@Hoodie.1045 said:

I've always thought, why don't Engineers just get a kit as their specialization mechanic? It seems so obvious, warriors get burst skills, revenants get legends, engineers get kits; it just makes sense. It even seems like that was the original design of Photon Forge and it was changed late in development.

And it's also not just the mehanics, Gyros just do not fit the scrapper thematically. Scrappers are supposed to be these MacGyer like heroes who managed to cobble together the armaments, machinery, and camps to support an entire disenfranchised army, rebuilding the pact, literally, from its own flaming wreckage, all while marooned deep in enemy territory, cut off from leadership, backup, and supplies.

And the ulitmate expression of that absolute badkitten backstory, are these little RC helicopters that look like they came straight off the factory line at Tixx's Toyshop.

I want scrapper skills to be something big, something weighty, something that feels scrappy. Gryos are just too lean and too clean.

@Conncept.7638 said:

I've always thought, why don't Engineers just get a kit as their specialization mechanic? It seems so obvious, warriors get burst skills, revenants get legends, engineers get kits; it just makes sense. It even seems like that was the original design of Photon Forge and it was changed late in development.

And it's also not just the mehanics, Gyros just do not fit the scrapper thematically. Scrappers are supposed to be these MacGyer like heroes who managed to cobble together the armaments, machinery, and camps to support an entire disenfranchised army, rebuilding the pact, literally, from its own flaming wreckage, all while marooned deep in enemy territory, cut off from leadership, backup, and supplies.

And the ulitmate expression of that absolute badkitten backstory, are these little RC helicopters that look like they came straight off the factory line at Tixx's Toyshop.

I want scrapper skills to be something big, something weighty, something that feels
scrappy
. Gryos are just too lean and too clean.

You know the 'Improvized' weapon skin set from the Black Lion Company, that's the Scrapper theme I kind of wanted for the utilities.

Like:

• Swinging around an anvil loosely tied to a piece of driftwood,
  • Smashing an area with a clump of of concrete using the protruding piece of rebar as the handle,
  • Firing an improvized hand cannon loaded with silverware & glass shards,

That's the Scrapper that should've been, IMO. lol

@Chaith.8256 said:

I want scrapper skills to be something big, something weighty, something that feels
scrappy
. Gryos are just too lean and too clean.

You know the 'Improvized' weapon skin set from the Black Lion Company, that's the Scrapper theme I kind of wanted for the utilities.

Like:
  • Swinging around an anvil loosely tied to a piece of driftwood,
  • Smashing an area with a clump of of concrete using the protruding piece of rebar as the handle,
  • Firing an improvized hand cannon loaded with silverware & glass shards,

That's the Scrapper that should've been, IMO. lol

That's an amazing idea, a legit amazing idea.

Archived