[Suggestions] Airship Oil/ Auric Dust/ Ley Line Spark Converter

Are there any plans, or would ANET consider, to make either a collectible that either converts Airship Oil, Auric Dust and Ley Line Spark to their associated map currencies OR a converter that eats said items and can turn them into something else useful? I ask because these items are quickly becoming inventory hogs like Dragonite Ore, Bloodstone Dust and Empyreal Fragments were in the past. The current uses for Airship Oil, Auric Dust and Ley Line Sparks are finite and eventually we are left with them cluttering up backpack or bank space.

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:Combine them together with obsidian shards to make Fulgurite. Fulgurite is used to craft Jeweled Damask Patches and Jeweled Deldrimor Steel Plated Doweles, both of which can be sold a solid profit if you buy the ascended materials yourself.

Each time I fill up on these mats, I just do this and reap about 70g profit.

While I do this, there's one huge weakness with that method - it consumes equal amounts of all three. If (like me) there's a marked difference in how much time is spent in the maps you will end up with a large surplus of one or two materials while one runs out.

Alternative idea: combine airship parts, lumps of aurilium, and ley line crystals into one HoT map currency (lets call it ley line crystals, to save up on art assets, as that works for all three maps anyways), and use the airship oil, auric dust, and ley line charges as secondary map currency+material, much like we see going with S3 and S4. Alter the merchant prices to reflect this, having the singular HoT map currency and the map/faction-specific currency. We already effectively got this going with Dragon's Stand anyways (having to have x amount of all three map's currencies + some crystalline ore).

Then either make the three items consumable for the singularized map currency, or add in gobblers which must be bought from the HoT merchants (perhaps even with a fourth from DS for the overarching HoT currency, combine the four in the Mystic Forge for one item much like our Sentient gobbler items).

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:Combine them together with obsidian shards to make Fulgurite. Fulgurite is used to craft Jeweled Damask Patches and Jeweled Deldrimor Steel Plated Doweles, both of which can be sold a solid profit if you buy the ascended materials yourself.

Problem for me is that I have about 5 additional stacks of airship oil than the other two.

There's other uses for the charges and auric dust, but airship oil literally seems to hold one singular use: fulgurite.

I've nothing against adding eaters, except that (a) they take up space, (b) they don't actually generate all that much income, © they consume a lot of inventory management time, and (d) they don't actually solve the problem because the consumption is capped.

I'd prefer instead just to see all such mats have a 1 copper vendor value (and remain account bound). That won't have a notably impact on the economy, but will make it easy for people to remove excess mats without feeling they were a total waste.

I keep suggesting people do this, even though it would cut severely into my income. Usually people say something like...

Problem for me is that I have about 5 additional stacks of airship oil than the other two.That's not a problem I think ANet needs to spend energy solving. You can (a) do more in the other zones or (b) delete the excess.

@Ardenwolfe.8590 said:Fair warning. I took around a forty gold hit using the method discussed above. Cleared out my excess items though, but again . . . fair warning.

How? I haven't noticed them ever be below components price.

Buy Deldrimor Steel/Spiritwood Planks with buy orders, or even better craft them yourself, and then sell the jeweled dowel at sell order. You'd have to be really unlucky to hit a time when prices were in flux.

Guess I was unlucky which sounds about right for me. :( Started with over 300 gold at the time and ended with 264 gold. But, again to be fair, I had to buy the steel and planks, and they weren't cheap.

Edit: Wait. Ugh. Bought the wrong items at first. My only max crafting is artificer. And, of course, I bought the ones for the Jeweled Damask Patch instead. Reselling them hit me for around 40 gold apparently.

Yeah, I suck at crafting.

@"Manasa Devi.7958" said:I just merch the fulgurite for 2g per stack. Probably not the best option but I can't be bothered spending more time on it. I'd prefer an eater that takes all 3, like the Gleam of Sentience for the 3 "classic" ascended materials.

250 Fulgurite is worth

• 20-56 gold by making Jeweled Damask Patch (the lowest number is if you instantly buy the damask & elonian leather & insta-sell; the higher if you make your and sell near the lowest listed offer)
  • 25-70 gold by crafting Jeweled Dowels (you have to make your own d-steel & spiritwood; the lower number is from instantly selling; the higher from pricing near the lowest listed offer)

Here's a break down of the steps necessary

• Eater: (if needed) move mats to character inventory → convert time-gated amount to gifts → open gifts → salvage → sell on TP. Approx ~2g/stack of original mats.
  • Fulgurite: refine (long wait) → vendor → 0.67g/stack of original mats; repeat for each type of mat.
  • Jeweled Dowels or Patches:refine fulgurite (long wait) → buy or refine ascended wood+metal|leather+cloth → refine jeweled items → sell. Approx 7-21g/stack of original mats.

Making Jeweled involves the same number of steps as using an eater, generates more value, and has no direct time gate.

@Eekasqueak.7850 said:I think the problem with using it for fulgurite as well is that you need an equal amount of obsidian shards and getting as many of those as you get these things is not easy.

Park a toon near the Temple of Balthazar. Check around reset. It's nearly always open (if not, wait a day or two). I've never had to wait longer than a couple of days to stock up. (There are other sources aside from karma, too.)

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Eekasqueak.7850 said:I think the problem with using it for fulgurite as well is that you need an equal amount of obsidian shards and getting as many of those as you get these things is not easy.

Park a toon near the Temple of Balthazar. Check around reset. It's nearly always open (if not, wait a day or two). I've never had to wait longer than a couple of days to stock up. (There are other sources aside from karma, too.)

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:Or, if you have LWS3, they're cheap for Unbound Magic.

There's cheap and there's keeping up with the sheer amount of airship oil cheap. It being a 1-1 conversion doesn't make that feasible even having those factors.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"Manasa Devi.7958" said:I just merch the fulgurite for 2g per stack. Probably not the best option but I can't be bothered spending more time on it. I'd prefer an eater that takes all 3, like the Gleam of Sentience for the 3 "classic" ascended materials.

250 Fulgurite is worth
  • 20-56 gold by making
    (the lowest number is if you instantly buy the damask & elonian leather & insta-sell; the higher if you make your and sell near the lowest listed offer)
  • 25-70 gold by crafting
    (you have to make your own d-steel & spiritwood; the lower number is from instantly selling; the higher from pricing near the lowest listed offer)

And yet, I still can't be bothered.

@"Eekasqueak.7850" said:There's cheap and there's keeping up with the sheer amount of airship oil cheap. It being a 1-1 conversion doesn't make that feasible even having those factors.

The material to keep up with is wichever you get least of.However - for both this reason (having to farm another mat to get rid of the HoT ones) and the difference in amounts I aquire, I strongly support some other way to "spend" these.

Best option in my mind - salvage for their respective map currency (Airship Oil into Airship Parts, Auric Dust into Aurillium, Ley Line Sparks into Ley Line Crystals)Second best - a vendor.Third best - an eater.

@Manasa Devi.7958 said:

@Manasa Devi.7958 said:I just merch the fulgurite for 2g per stack. Probably not the best option but I can't be bothered spending more time on it. I'd prefer an eater that takes all 3, like the Gleam of Sentience for the 3 "classic" ascended materials.

250 Fulgurite is worth
  • 20-56 gold by making
    (the lowest number is if you instantly buy the damask & elonian leather & insta-sell; the higher if you make your and sell near the lowest listed offer)
  • 25-70 gold by crafting
    (you have to make your own d-steel & spiritwood; the lower number is from instantly selling; the higher from pricing near the lowest listed offer)

And now you (and others) can make an informed choice between all the options.

I didn't ne> @Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Manasa Devi.7958 said:I just merch the fulgurite for 2g per stack. Probably not the best option but I can't be bothered spending more time on it. I'd prefer an eater that takes all 3, like the Gleam of Sentience for the 3 "classic" ascended materials.

250 Fulgurite is worth
  • 20-56 gold by making
  • 25-70 gold by crafting

And now you (and others) can make an informed choice between all the options.

What makes you think I needed that information to make an informed choice?

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:That's not a problem I think ANet needs to spend energy solving. You can (a) do more in the other zones or (b) delete the excess.

a) And if my lack of excess in the others is because those others have additional uses? (Which is the case.) I do not want, nor should I need to, spend hours doing something I do not want to in order to make use of an item that is given out in such large numbers.b) Why should I delete something that is a reward for my activities in the game? Should I start deleting my gold too when I get too much?

Besides, it really shouldn't take too much effort on Anet's part to create a gobbler for them, or make them salvagable/consumed into something else, since they've already done such for glory/memories and S3 mats respectively.

• 11 months later...

Yes, this is large issue, not for all is easy to get obsidian shards. I always struggling for them. Unbound magic maybe interesting, but how much activities are in those maps? I normally never spend much time on them. Maybe to relate it with something useful, for instance fractals. Sort of to convert 250 of both to +1 agony resistance. :) With obsidian shards it could work only if rate of use was something like 10 or 100 of them per 1 obsidian shard. Or maybe to add it to HoT currency converter? Why not?

I'd like to see an PACT airship memorial monument in LA that takes airship oil to keep a fire lit, auric dust to keep it polished and ley line sparks to power it. Actually have it go out if it's not supplied with a specific amount of oil a day, tarnish without auric dust and powered down without ley line sparks. Each player could donate one stack of either of the items to an Exalted vendor and in return they are receive 50 Thermocatalytic Reagents a day.

Archived