Open world gear, might generation.

eaman.7562

So I have this scourge in viper gear + Renegade runes | malice | bursting | that does fractals, I was wondering if it would better for open world solo to get a set of thrailblazer + Aristocracy runes and maybe one sigil for Might. Would it be better or viper with the occasional Parasitic contagion | Weakening Soul is just it?

@Lahmia.2193: well 750 condi and power would be substantial. I would miss the 7% condi but with all those stats it doesn't matter what I loose from viper -> trailblazer, the beauty of full might is that you can have sustain on your gear and forgive about the basic stats.I now have 3 pieces of trailblazer and 3 runes, maybe tomorrow if I can make all the paths in Caudacus I can test 6 runes on some random gear, something with hp and precision maybe.

A quick test could be made with runes of strenght and some random Exotic on TP.

He dessicate is spot on but I would have to loose Trail of Anguish. Yet I could use Sand Flare as heal and precursor for Sadistic Searing: the runes give 3 might for using a health ability. Abrasive grit force me to use F3 and loose LF for even more barrier (and I usually use a Jackal), maybe I can avoid that with a sigil of strenght. Torch 5 is good but as the rest they are limited in time, the Aristocracy runes would help a lot with that.

Why not just go berserker power-Reaper? Toss on some pirate runes and play like that to experiment for a while with low rune and sigil investment.

Almost everything in open world dies faster than might generation can keep up with. You can usually count on +1, or more, help when taking on champs or plenty of support in world boss events.

Yaarr !

So I got the runes and I did some tests: the result is meh.I have a sword / dagger weaver that I use with strength runes + sigil and it's very nice, but he has 2 fire fields and loads of blasts / leaps, also with the power runes you have a +5% damage bonus.

Necro does less might generation, 7% condi damage of Renegade runes gets lost, sigil of strength means a lot of precision so trailblazer is not good, viper is what I use in group content and I'm not putting aristo runes on that.

With weaver is not a problem to have an alternate set with carrion / bersk (even some grieving from seller) with strength runes for open world, viper is way more expensive. I tried a 3 stat set with some precision but then expertise is lost and it's not worth it. Maybe an exotic Bringer set from TP?

So IMHO if you have a viper set for open world it may give ~2k dps more, also takes a bit of management, yet it has some ramp up time so for small trash is not even worth it.

IMHO aristo runes should be buffed with a +7% condi and the buff on health skill moved to the 4th rune.

@Anchoku.8142 : my power reaper goes with scholar and improved signs and it's a caterpillar in open world.

Trailblazer's main use is in a few niche WvW builds, scourge doesn't need it's sustain in OW. Stay in the vipers armor and just farm up a new set of trinkets if you think you need more sustain from gear... but from experience, you don't.A few trait changes might be all you need. What's your build?

Yes scourge don't need sustain, actually it has to much of it and encourages bad habits (dodge).This thread is /was about might generation in OW: when you have 750 condi/power from full might than you can stop caring about dps stats in armour so some trailblazer could have be nice. Not that you need it, viper is still better.

@eaman.7562 said:@Lahmia.2193: well 750 condi and power would be substantial. I would miss the 7% condi but with all those stats it doesn't matter what I loose from viper -> trailblazer, the beauty of full might is that you can have sustain on your gear and forgive about the basic stats.I now have 3 pieces of trailblazer and 3 runes, maybe tomorrow if I can make all the paths in Caudacus I can test 6 runes on some random gear, something with hp and precision maybe.

A quick test could be made with runes of strenght and some random Exotic on TP.

He dessicate is spot on but I would have to loose Trail of Anguish. Yet I could use Sand Flare as heal and precursor for Sadistic Searing: the runes give 3 might for using a health ability. Abrasive grit force me to use F3 and loose LF for even more barrier (and I usually use a Jackal), maybe I can avoid that with a sigil of strenght. Torch 5 is good but as the rest they are limited in time, the Aristocracy runes would help a lot with that.

That's assuming you don't generate any on the full dps one.

@"Lahmia.2193" said:That's assuming you don't generate any on the full dps one.Well I was / am testing in open world and with golem, best result were with the standard abilities (no Dessicate or F1...) wearing the runes.Scourge has a lot of might talents / abilities but if you put them on it reduce damage and burst.He even Spite trait line gives might for hitting things lower than 50% HP: scourge don't do that as things die for dots.

To recap: it's not as good as it is for S/D Weaver, the runes are not so good as they don't have a +5% condi damage as strength runes have for power. But if u are willing to base your time in open world managing might, for fight medium length and more, they are worth it dps wise (I was doing some 10k dps vs ~8k in Renegade). Some times they were not: short fights and "busy" fights.

Personally I'd rather have Trail of Anguish than Dessicate, burst instead of barrier / might on F1/F3.

Necro and its elite specializations does not scale up in dps quite like Ele but Necro does scale up in defense nicely with Reaper and Scourge due to high LF generation.

Reaper can put out an enormous amount of AoE chill while cleaving in a crowd.

Scourge can put up barriers frequently while still corrupting in a crowd.

It is hard to see this in WvW red-circle warfare, PvP, or raids where trash mob population is limited and things do not die too fast but Necro is capable of being tier-1 meta in tower-defense style encounters. Its burst is not very impressive but its sustained utility in a trashy crowd is top-tier. It is almost like Necro was redesigned to keep Ele from having to break its dps rotation.

Archived