Cross-dressing in Gw2 Idea

@Felipe.1807 said:

@Felipe.1807 said:oh god no lol last thing i wanna see is male norn using T2 or T3 cultural female armor lol...I would rather have a more Dark Souls kind of aproach then, armor dosent change change based on your character gender.

But what about a charr or an asura?

What about Charr and Asuras? This races have basically the same body tipe regardless of the gender(whatever if this is based on lore of just Anet laziness lol), makes sense for male and female use the same kind of armor, but Norn and Humans(and sylvaries) have big diferences between males and females(honestly norns dont even look from the same race lol), so not sure where you trying to get...anyway, as someone allready said, just get yourself a nice Total Makeover Kit for only 350 gems and have fun!

Have the feeling that this thread is gonna get closed...

But thats the thing, I wish there was something like the toal make over kit but for armors, the choice there to apply the female armor style on the male (no matter the race, its for all races, and yes we have talked that it is a hard and extra job and because of that, I do believe anet would have all the right to charge extra for such)

And well I dont know how a closed threat works but, I will guess that that means they have taken in consideration the options and opinions, will think about it, and make this threat from stop growing am I correct?

Okay okay, regardles of opinions, right and wrong, etc, lets just look at the facts...you know Skyrim? Great game right? I love that game, and also its mod community...but one thing that ever bothered me is that female characters are allways got more attention then males, the number of Mod Armors made to female characters is really disproportional...one day was released a really awesome armor, but surprise, was for female only...but I though to myself, well the armor is kitten and its fullplate armor, wont look that bad on my Dovahkiin....well it looked worse then bad, looked hideous lol a stuff from nightmares, you had this feminine body with a giant male angry nord head(males are by default bigger then females), i had a couple of laughs and removed the mod...point is, most Modders dont even bother doing armors to fit both genders cause that take way to much effort, how many armors does GW2 have? Now imagine having to take all that and reshape the armor so it can fit the opossite gender characters, i mean, we talking here about all female armors to fit on male and vice and versa, that is a lot of work...lot of work that could go to something more productive...I stand for what I said earlier, just get a Total Makeover Kit and have fun, if you are creative enough I bet you can mess aroud with the sliders to make a female character look more masculine.

About closed threads...i mean that this is controversial topic, is useless discussion that will get nowhere, I bet is easier for we see a gay scene between Logan and Rytlock then to see people being able to crossdress on the game.

Well... I guess... I mean I really think on male asura would look cute, but now that you mention it, it is true that some would not fit the same cuteness unless heavily worked with in order to have that spark of femenine look... I guess would mean also that some hairs become available for the countrary gender and if I recall some one here said that the many trends talked about it ended up bad, and I dont want to cause trouble, jsut want to voice an opinion and if is controversial, work a bit with it and try to do my best to keep things as calm and respectful as possible.

And oh well, if that happens that is just how things are then, I do know this was a controversial trend and knew many outcomes, i must assept nevertheless that the outcome in this was actually a lot positive than I would have imagined so, I like to see things in the brightest side as possible.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually that was the outfit that made me start all, I would like to see the female counterpart of that outfit on my male asura, and thought then on the many other outfits and armors, and then thought on this idea.

@Ardenwolfe.8590 said:

@"Zauriel Mooncat.4968" said:

I see... okey, understandable sir. Sorry if I may seem too naive or too invested, I just am trying to keep a respectful trend. But I highly understand what you are saying.

No, you're fine. In fact, I wish more posters would be as respectful and professional as you have been in this thread. One poster's opinion does not make it so or true. It's their opinion. And my opinion is that you're an excellent asset and example for the community. :)

Keep fighting the good fight.

Just wanted to second this. OP, you're awesome :) You're keeping a cool head and staying one kitten of a lot more polite than I'd be if I was in your shoes.

An aside: cross-dressing charr are lorebreaking, but charr dressed as giant inflatable castles aren't? <---Saw that one charr on Reddit, and the player did an awesome job. Players "cosplay" all the time, making humans that look like Beyonce, for example, or the one Ronald McDonald clone I saw once in the Plains of Ashford. We have skeleton mount skins, players who look like they've marinated in the remains of Three Mile Island, and tiny pixel-graphic minis. A coherent game full of lore-abiding players, GW2 isn't. And that's both glorious and horrifying all at once ;)

TBH, I don't think I'd even notice a cross-dressing player. And if I did, and they did a good job, I'd enjoy the sight.

@juhani.5361 said:

@"Zauriel Mooncat.4968" said:

I see... okey, understandable sir. Sorry if I may seem too naive or too invested, I just am trying to keep a respectful trend. But I highly understand what you are saying.

No, you're fine. In fact, I wish more posters would be as respectful and professional as you have been in this thread. One poster's opinion does not make it so or true. It's their opinion. And my opinion is that you're an excellent asset and example for the community. :)

Just wanted to second this. OP, you're awesome :) You're keeping a cool head and staying one kitten of a lot more polite than I'd be if I was in your shoes.

An aside: cross-dressing charr are lorebreaking, but charr dressed as giant inflatable castles aren't? <---Saw that one charr on Reddit, and the player did an awesome job. Players "cosplay" all the time, making humans that look like Beyonce, for example, or the one Ronald McDonald clone I saw once in the Plains of Ashford. We have skeleton mount skins, players who look like they've marinated in the remains of Three Mile Island, and tiny pixel-graphic minis. A coherent game full of lore-abiding players, GW2 isn't. And that's both glorious and horrifying all at once ;)

TBH, I don't think I'd even notice a cross-dressing player. And if I did, and they did a good job, I'd enjoy the sight.

Thank you, I do try my best to be respectful, but I guess I must assept by the commenter above that I might be a bit too deffensive, I am hoping I can still try to be as respectful as possible and improve. Also thank you for commenting!

@Zauriel Mooncat.4968 said:

Thank you, I do try my best to be respectful, but I guess I must assept by the commenter above that I might be a bit too deffensive, I am hoping I can still try to be as respectful as possible and improve. Also thank you for commenting!

It's natural to be defensive when people are insulting your very existence. I'm not sure if that particular person was doing it, but I've seen a few...er... uncomfortable comments in this thread. Like I said, you're being a lot kinder than I'd be in your shoes. big hugs

@juhani.5361 said:

It's natural to be defensive when people are insulting your very existence. I'm not sure if that particular person was doing it, but I've seen a few...er... uncomfortable comments in this thread. Like I said, you're being a lot kinder than I'd be in your shoes.
big hugs

I really thank you! Gives me encouragement to keep trying my best!

@Zauriel Mooncat.4968 said:

It's natural to be defensive when people are insulting your very existence. I'm not sure if that particular person was doing it, but I've seen a few...er... uncomfortable comments in this thread. Like I said, you're being a lot kinder than I'd be in your shoes.
big hugs

I really thank you! Gives me encouragement to keep trying my best!

Really, it's the very least I can do :) more hugs

@"Zauriel Mooncat.4968" said:Ah no no x.x I havent been using sir in this trend at all as a way to despict a male but as a stranger (since at the end of the day you do all are strangers and its another why I am trying to be as respectful as possible) I do am male too but I really never mind any gender related pronouns, but highly understandable.

I think the problem with using "sir" so much, especially in combinations like "dear sir" or "kind sir", is that it runs a big risk of coming across as either condescending(1) or fawning, neither of which is going to be viewed as respectful. (Note: I'm not saying that you are either of those things, just that people will read it like that.) It's probably a cultural thing, but in most English-speaking countries, people don't talk like that to show themselves as being respectful. I agree that being respectful is good, but you don't need to go as far as you have done. Be polite, explain clearly, and acknowledge people's points. But also shrug off insults as it usually isn't worth getting into an argument about that on the Internet.

(1) Being genuinely condescending is almost exactly the opposite of respectful, so if people get that "vibe" from you (again, I'm not saying that you are sending that vibe), they are liable to be insulted.

@"Zauriel Mooncat.4968" said:Second, you imply the same thing in real life, seclusion, "there are 2 genders, deal with it" I am sorry sir but is like saying there are just one sexuality, and if you need refferences, there are many gay couples in this game, and there is a transgender male in Lion's Arch, so, no, its not jsut a game sir, such a bold statement (with the outmust respect, bold) rather feels damaging towards what a game should be in these days, an evolution that fits the new morals, idiosyncrasies, and inclusions.

From the context I am guessing it is just a translation error but you are referring to Sya, right? In English she is called a transgender woman.

BTW, feel free to friend me inworld. If the menadena.7482 name will not work one of my characters is Sya Kello.

@Goettel.4389 said:Hey, it's not escapism for nothing and I for one am happy to leave this cultural phenomenon in the really real world :)

You are too late: GW2 already features LGBT representation throughout the world.

Luckily for you, you can go to pretty much any other MMO in the world and be able to live out your fantasy that LGBT people don't exist.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@Goettel.4389 said:Hey, it's not escapism for nothing and I for one am happy to leave this cultural phenomenon in the really real world :)

You are too late: GW2 already features LGBT representation throughout the world.

Luckily for you, you can go to pretty much any other MMO in the world and be able to live out your fantasy that LGBT people don't exist.

Oh don't worry, I'm fine with people dressing up any way they want, as long as they're not attention seekers :)

@"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:Luckily for you, you can go to pretty much any other MMO in the world and be able to live out your fantasy that LGBT people don't exist.

Some major ones (that are not GW2) include LGB, although perhaps less of the "T" part.

Notable: SWTOR's Rise of the Hutt Cartel expansion (2.0, released in 2013) includes "flirtable" NPCs who are homosexual (Lord Cytharat, on the Imperial side, is gay, and Lemda Avesta, on the Republic side, is lesbian). The Shadow of Revan expansions around 3.00 (2014) include two NPCs who are "playersexual", receptive to flirts by either male or female player characters. One is male, the other is female. Knights of the Fallen Empire (4.0, 2015) changed those two to "companions", and they are still flirtable.

Various NPCs are flirtable by the player, and it is trivially simple to find that your character is (a) fickle, and (b) bisexual.

@Goettel.4389 said:

Oh don't worry, I'm fine with people dressing up any way they want, as long as they're not attention seekers :)

Sorry, I don't quite follow you. What do you mean by "attention seekers" here?

@"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:Sorry, I don't quite follow you. What do you mean by "attention seekers" here?I'm sure you understand what I mean, and since we're probably riding the forum guidelines edge already (mods have mercy) I won't elucidate. This is a friendly forum :)Just out of curiosity: do you think all multiplayer games should include cross-dressing options?

@Goettel.4389 said:

@"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:Sorry, I don't quite follow you. What do you mean by "attention seekers" here?I'm sure you understand what I mean

I genuinely don't.

and since we're probably riding the forum guidelines edge already (mods have mercy) I won't elucidate. This is a friendly forum :)

I'm also disappointed to hear this. I guess it basically comes down to "I don't care what people do, as long as I never see it, so I can pretend they don't" or something. :(

Just out of curiosity: do you think all multiplayer games should include cross-dressing options?

I am in favor of representation across the board, yes, so ... more or less? That'd be part of a larger, nuanced picture, but definitely not an unwelcome one. It also depends a bit on what "all multiplayer games" covers; I don't especially distinguish them from single player games in my thinking.

Also, I'm fine with, eg, Samus, or Master Chief. Representation doesn't have to be tied to the player character, though it would be nice if it wasn't so frequently defaulting to "protagonist is a hetero-cis-white-guy", y'know?

In other words: it's complex, it's part of a larger picture, and it isn't going to have a yes/no answer, though it is close-ish to "yes".

@"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:Notable: SWTOR's Rise of the Hutt Cartel expansion (2.0, released in 2013) includes "flirtable" NPCs who are homosexual (Lord Cytharat, on the Imperial side, is gay, and Lemda Avesta, on the Republic side, is lesbian). The Shadow of Revan expansions around 3.00 (2014) include two NPCs who are "playersexual", receptive to flirts by either male or female player characters. One is male, the other is female. Knights of the Fallen Empire (4.0, 2015) changed those two to "companions", and they are still flirtable.

Various NPCs are flirtable by the player, and it is trivially simple to find that your character is (a) fickle, and (b) bisexual.

Interesting. Very informative. While not an MMO, you can have similar interactions in Dragon Age. Again, thank you for posting this. I had no idea this was possible in SWTOR.

@Ardenwolfe.8590 said:

@"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:Notable: SWTOR's Rise of the Hutt Cartel expansion (2.0, released in 2013) includes "flirtable" NPCs who are homosexual (Lord Cytharat, on the Imperial side, is gay, and Lemda Avesta, on the Republic side, is lesbian). The Shadow of Revan expansions around 3.00 (2014) include two NPCs who are "playersexual", receptive to flirts by either male or female player characters. One is male, the other is female. Knights of the Fallen Empire (4.0, 2015) changed those two to "companions", and they are still flirtable.

Various NPCs are flirtable by the player, and it is trivially simple to find that
your character
is (a) fickle, and (b) bisexual.

Interesting. Very informative. While not an MMO, you can have similar interactions in Dragon Age. Again, thank you for posting this. I had no idea this was possible in SWTOR.

the one thing that always makes me smile is how sober bioware makes their games, allot of game companies can learn from them.

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@"Zauriel Mooncat.4968" said:Ah no no x.x I havent been using sir in this trend at all as a way to despict a male but as a stranger (since at the end of the day you do all are strangers and its another why I am trying to be as respectful as possible) I do am male too but I really never mind any gender related pronouns, but highly understandable.

I think the problem with using "sir" so much, especially in combinations like "dear sir" or "kind sir", is that it runs a big risk of coming across as either condescending(1) or fawning, neither of which is going to be viewed as respectful. (Note: I'm not saying that you
are
either of those things, just that people will read it like that.) It's probably a cultural thing, but in most English-speaking countries, people don't talk like that to show themselves as being respectful. I agree that being respectful is good, but you don't need to go as far as you have done. Be polite, explain clearly, and acknowledge people's points. But also shrug off insults as it usually isn't worth getting into an argument about that on the Internet.

(1) Being genuinely condescending is almost exactly the opposite of respectful, so if people get that "vibe" from you (again, I'm not saying that you are sending that vibe), they are liable to be insulted.

Oh okey, I will take it in count thank you, i talk normal on chat in game but here I was trying to be more polite in fear that things can get heated or anything, I also use emoticons a lot but trying to refrain from doing that in case it is too annoying or something troublesome. I really thank you, will try to improve in that.

@Menadena.7482 said:

@"Zauriel Mooncat.4968" said:Second, you imply the same thing in real life, seclusion, "there are 2 genders, deal with it" I am sorry sir but is like saying there are just one sexuality, and if you need refferences, there are many gay couples in this game, and there is a transgender male in Lion's Arch, so, no, its not jsut a game sir, such a bold statement (with the outmust respect, bold) rather feels damaging towards what a game should be in these days, an evolution that fits the new morals, idiosyncrasies, and inclusions.

From the context I am guessing it is just a translation error but you are referring to Sya, right? In English she is called a transgender woman.

BTW, feel free to friend me inworld. If the menadena.7482 name will not work one of my characters is Sya Kello.

Well I am not very sure, I just recall there was a transgender person in LA That was a male but appears as a woman thanks to Mesmer power, I recall this npc is close to the frsctal portal, right infront of it there is a large pillar, thay npc is standing there.

Also yes! Although I am an EU server player!

@Goettel.4389 said:

@"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:Sorry, I don't quite follow you. What do you mean by "attention seekers" here?I'm sure you understand what I mean, and since we're probably riding the forum guidelines edge already (mods have mercy) I won't elucidate. This is a friendly forum :)Just out of curiosity: do you think all multiplayer games should include cross-dressing options?

I personally believe yes, i can give as example (but is not an mmo) animal crossing, you do can crossdress, and I believe (please correct me if I am wrong) in final fantasy MMO.

now that I am thinking about it.. I'd wear Norn T3 Cultural Heavy Legs on a Male Toon.. like run around Lions Arch in Just that.. No boots.. no chest.. no gloves.. maybe a helm.. but.. yah that would be kinda fun...

and most likely.. the very reason why they won't do it.

Archived