I don't have Bless to thank; I have WoW - AND YOU ALL!

Like many players, I came here from somewhere else - 12 solid years of WoW! And though I won't be bashing a game that brought me so much, I will say I was pointed back to GW2 by an old friend (who is now an affiliate) and knew I'd found my next home, as hard as it was for me to admit I needed something new and awe-inspiring. I even snagged PoF through them to be sure and thank them as best I could for the push to try something so unfamiliar.

Thanks to all the random folks who have thrown this newbie guidance in game and even helped me out of the blue on some adventures, you've convinced me it was the right change at the right time!!

@"Deathanizer.3716" said:You'll never be able to go back to wow now. I tried once it was miserable.

I haven't seen nearly enough to even try relogging into it yet, but what was the most obvious roadblock you ran into trying to "go back"? Progression? Content? Combat or scaling?

@Tangram.1805 said:Like many players, I came here from somewhere else - 12 solid years of WoW! And though I won't be bashing a game that brought me so much, I will say I was pointed back to GW2 by an old friend (who is now an affiliate) and knew I'd found my next home, as hard as it was for me to admit I needed something new and awe-inspiring. I even snagged PoF through them to be sure and thank them as best I could for the push to try something so unfamiliar.

Thanks to all the random folks who have thrown this newbie guidance in game and even helped me out of the blue on some adventures, you've convinced me it was the right change at the right time!!

May the Pale tree bless you Tangram... I've been around GW2 since original release & I've always come back...

@Tangram.1805 said:

@"Deathanizer.3716" said:You'll never be able to go back to wow now. I tried once it was miserable.

I haven't seen nearly enough to even try relogging into it yet, but what was the most obvious roadblock you ran into trying to "go back"? Progression? Content? Combat or scaling?

Two things in my particular case: art style and lack of combat mobility (my mage loses the fireball channel if she strafes, wut?). After that, the grind to stay in place.

Welcome to GW2. I hopped to quite a few other MMOs during my 7 years in WoW, but always came back until GW2 showed up and hooked me. Fortunately my guild members are mostly all still in touch, so I've not lost friendships thanks to leaving WoW and I have many more wonderful friends I'd never have met without GW2. Lucky you, you have so much game to explore and enjoy -- take your time, don't worry about getting to max level asap, poke and pry around the world, it will all be waiting for you. Any limited time events will scale you to 80 so you can participate, so no rush!

WoW was my first real MMO experience, so I can relate a little. I had a lot invested.Now, I'm a Horde refugee part-timing in Tyria, more or less happily engaged for 5+ years.So, welcome! If you need help with the transition, feel free to drop me a whisper.

Great thing is, even if you do go back to WoW or explore other games, GW2 is patient and will wait for you. No gear grind to stay relevant, so setting it aside for a few days or weeks won't cost you anything in progression. Come back when there's stuff to do and stay if you like it! :)

@"Rauderi.8706" said:WoW was my first real MMO experience, so I can relate a little. I had a lot invested.Now, I'm a Horde refugee part-timing in Tyria, more or less happily engaged for 5+ years.So, welcome! If you need help with the transition, feel free to drop me a whisper.

Great thing is, even if you do go back to WoW or explore other games, GW2 is patient and will wait for you. No gear grind to stay relevant, so setting it aside for a few days or weeks won't cost you anything in progression. Come back when there's stuff to do and stay if you like it! :)

Again thank you - I will certainly do that!! Benefits of a mega-server, right? And CONGRATULATIONS ON 5 YEARS of adventuring! There's a definite feeling of "take your time and breathe" I've experienced so far. I was overwhelmed at first by the sheer amount of things that I had NOT done yet, but I was probably overthinking it. One thing I was curious about though is the "cash shop" (Gem store) and how TRULY pivotal it was to gameplay. I'm guessing of course it's more quality of life improvements and cosmetics rather than any kind of pay to win, but is it really even relevant before a certain level, you think? Quests and roaming have already provided me with some money and frankly, perfectly workable gear that has carried me through the first zone and almost to level 15 now.

@CJH.2879 said:

@Tangram.1805 said:Like many players, I came here from somewhere else - 12 solid years of WoW! And though I won't be bashing a game that brought me so much, I will say I was pointed back to GW2 by an old friend (who is now an affiliate) and knew I'd found my next home, as hard as it was for me to admit I needed something new and awe-inspiring. I even snagged PoF through them to be sure and thank them as best I could for the push to try something so unfamiliar.

May the Pale tree bless you Tangram... I've been around GW2 since original release & I've always come back...

Thanks! I admit the thought of at least one new character waking under the Pale Tree DID cross my mind...

@"Tangram.1805" said:Again thank you - I will certainly do that!! Benefits of a mega-server, right? And CONGRATULATIONS ON 5 YEARS of adventuring! There's a definite feeling of "take your time and breathe" I've experienced so far. I was overwhelmed at first by the sheer amount of things that I had NOT done yet, but I was probably overthinking it. One thing I was curious about though is the "cash shop" (Gem store) and how TRULY pivotal it was to gameplay. I'm guessing of course it's more quality of life improvements and cosmetics rather than any kind of pay to win, but is it really even relevant before a certain level, you think? Quests and roaming have already provided me with some money and frankly, perfectly workable gear that has carried me through the first zone and almost to level 15 now.

Another advantage GW2 has over all the Asia MMO grinders:Cash shop is not pay to win! Mostly. There's a lot of convenience items and cosmetics, but nothing that gives you more power than another player, and if it has a financial benefit (cloth and leather racks for example), it's very likely not worth the gold->gem conversion rate on its own.

As for gear, you'll want to get involved in crafting when you can. While there are some other ways to get best-in-slot, the most readily available and consistent way is through crafting. It's also how you'll get certain stat combinations that aren't available on the trading post. At the same time, Exotic gear is cheap (especially right now) and easy to get from the trading post, and that will serve you pretty well through open-world content and very early fractals (5-man end-game instance content).

I can see why you might have wanted to jump off, I mean after wiping out Sargeras every one else is just what we would call here a Living World Bad Guy (LW Seasons are basically what you guys call in WoW content patches, except in GW2 and Expansion's story sort of ends at the end of the expansion, while our content patches build the story toward the next expansion). I my self see no desire in going back to WoW at this time except to maybe finish the Legion Story, but frankly this upcoming expansion may as well be called Waiting for Void Lords.

It's a great time to come in to GW2, personally I think this game has really come into it's own during Season 3 Living World and continues to impress (sort of like a Wrath of the Lich King phase), you have a ton of back content to go through as well.

For narrative purposes once you finish the main story in Orr go to youtube and watch Living World Season One the Movie (it's roughly 3 hours), back then content patches were all temporary and if you didn't play it you missed it (it was a flawed model at the time, sort of like Steve Jobs Box which we was building when Apple fired him for being a jerk during the early 90s). Unfortunately all of Season One is not playable, the data is gone, and it would take a lot of Dev time to rebuild it.

One of the great things you will learn about GW2 is that you can always come back. It's an amazing feeling to know that your gear will not become outdated, or that you will have to play catch up. So even if you have to take a break for any reason.. the door will be open for you to return.

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:

I can see why you might have wanted to jump off, I mean after wiping out Sargeras every one else is just what we would call here a Living World Bad Guy (LW Seasons are basically what you guys call in WoW content patches, except in GW2 and Expansion's story sort of ends at the end of the expansion, while our content patches build the story toward the next expansion). I my self see no desire in going back to WoW at this time except to maybe finish the Legion Story, but frankly this upcoming expansion may as well be called Waiting for Void Lords.

It's a great time to come in to GW2, personally I think this game has really come into it's own during Season 3 Living World and continues to impress (sort of like a Wrath of the Lich King phase), you have a ton of back content to go through as well.

For narrative purposes once you finish the main story in Orr go to youtube and watch Living World Season One the Movie (it's roughly 3 hours), back then content patches were all temporary and if you didn't play it you missed it (it was a flawed model at the time, sort of like Steve Jobs Box which we was building when Apple fired him for being a jerk during the early 90s). Unfortunately all of Season One is not playable, the data is gone, and it would take a lot of Dev time to rebuild it.

As much as I wish your description wasn't true, it... sort of is. The story has begun to devolve in a way. Though the angle of faction was has plenty of people hyped, I've played the beta and found myself honestly way beyond tired. Faction vs. Faction doesn't open as many doors as the dynamic of All Races vs. The World, and it closes the prospect of community working toward an over arching goal. I know that's the foundation it had always been built on - I've been there for ages - but WoW's most interesting moments in the last several years to me have been when there's the showing of both factions working together. But to each their own now, right? Apples and oranges these days, and so here I am.

Welcome to GW2! I hope you have lots of fun :)Long time WoW player here as well. I don't likethe game anymore but I have nostalgic great memories about it, already bringing a smile on my face while typing this. Behavior in pug dungeons was my biggest disappointment. And since I play a game to have fun, I left WoW, and found a great place here in GW2.

Archived