Making Legendary Insights tradeable

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:It would devalue the effort needed to earn the legendary armor. Yes, players can purchase runs to be carried but being able to buy them would put the cost at a fraction of that and enabling even more players to obtain it without actually doing raids.

How do you know how much would LI cost set on the TP? What simulations did you use to count this?

You have to consider the number of players that do raids and have no use for them. By simply offering another way for players to obtain them will reduce their cost. They’d initially start out at whatever the average cost is to purchase them through raid clears. But as more players list them, the price will drop.
  • how many players raid every week?
  • how many players is ready to sell their LI at this point?

After initial burst on the market, whales would quickly buy them and TP barons flip cheap LIs to profit on them even more. Raiders are assumed to be very small portion of the playerbase, meanwhile people from whole game would buy LIs just to make full legendary characters. I'm pretty confident it would be much better profit for raiders than everyone expects.

Unknown for both questions and not necessary. It’s extremely unlikely that they’ll see for more than buying raids. Unless there’s enough players willing to buy them up each week, the supply will continue to build and the price will gradually fall. That rate is difficult to determine.

It’ll be profit for all raiders, and not just sellers, yes. But it’ll still devalue the effort put into actually earning the armor.

Why do you use word "effort" when all it is is "timegate"?

I was not talking about timegates when bringing up effort. This is something that someone else injected into the discussion. When I talk about effort, I’m referring to what it takes to do the raid yourself in a group.

It takes effort to learn a raid and to actually do it every week. You’d be putting in the same effort whether or not there was a timegate.

It's irrelevant because Anet allows for raid selling. Almost everything can be bought in this game with gold or money, there's no reason to keep niche examples as special snowflakes. Raids are already unpopular enough and all the work devs put into legendary armor (still waiting for the update promised year ago) is mostly wasted.

No. Raid selling and being able to buy LI’s are not the same.

They have same effect - make raid non-prestigous farm. Since raids are already watered down from their prestige, let's make the experience worthwile for raiders - let them earn more gold for the time they spend on raiding while selling LIs to whales.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:It would devalue the effort needed to earn the legendary armor. Yes, players can purchase runs to be carried but being able to buy them would put the cost at a fraction of that and enabling even more players to obtain it without actually doing raids.

How do you know how much would LI cost set on the TP? What simulations did you use to count this?

You have to consider the number of players that do raids and have no use for them. By simply offering another way for players to obtain them will reduce their cost. They’d initially start out at whatever the average cost is to purchase them through raid clears. But as more players list them, the price will drop.

After initial burst on the market, whales would quickly buy them and TP barons flip cheap LIs to profit on them even more. Raiders are assumed to be very small portion of the playerbase, meanwhile people from whole game would buy LIs just to make full legendary characters. I'm pretty confident it would be much better profit for raiders than everyone expects.

Unknown for both questions and not necessary. It’s extremely unlikely that they’ll see for more than buying raids. Unless there’s enough players willing to buy them up each week, the supply will continue to build and the price will gradually fall. That rate is difficult to determine.

It’ll be profit for all raiders, and not just sellers, yes. But it’ll still devalue the effort put into actually earning the armor.

I can't consider your argument then, because you asked me to, quote: "consider the number of players that do raids and have no use for them". You, yourself, just said your argument is irrelevant.

I never said it was irrelevant. Knowing the exact numbers was not necessary.

Then it's impossible to consider what you want me to consider, making your argument non-existent.

No. You can take into consider things without knowing their exact numbers. Insurance companies do it all the time as well as businesses.

Wow :)

I accept you have nothing.

Or you don’t understand the concept.

I’ll elaborate more:

We can predict what will happen based on behaviors that have already been observed in the game.

When they’re available to sell, it not unreasonable to expect them to initially fall around the cost of what it takes to obtain one by buying raid clears.

You can then take into account the impact of what will happen as players start to sell their excess LI. If supply exceeds what is being bought, you can expect the price to decrease. That rate is unknown as that’s dependent on how many people are selling/buying as well as the quantities involved in either side.

You can also assume that the number of players purchasing raids runs each week is fairly consistent. There are only so many willing to do that. If all players with excess LI’s put them on the TP, you can predict that they will exceed the demand for them. So, the price will drop as players try to sell theirs.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

I can't consider your argument then, because you asked me to, quote: "consider the number of players that do raids and have no use for them". You, yourself, just said your argument is irrelevant.

Then it's impossible to consider what you want me to consider, making your argument non-existent.

No. You can take into consider things without knowing their exact numbers. Insurance companies do it all the time as well as businesses.

I’ll elaborate more:

We can predict what will happen based on behaviors that have already been observed in the game.

When they’re available to sell, it not unreasonable to expect them to initially fall around the cost of what it takes to obtain one by buying raid clears.

You can then take into account the impact of what will happen as players start to sell their excess LI. If supply exceeds what is being bought, you can expect the price to decrease. That rate is unknown as that’s dependent on how many people are selling/buying as well as the quantities involved in either side.

You can also assume that the number of players purchasing raids runs each week is fairly consistent. There are only so many willing to do that. If all players with excess LI’s put them on the TP, you can predict that they will exceed the demand for them. So, the price will drop as players try to sell theirs.

oh you edited

It's very possible initial burst right after the implementation will cause the price to change agressively. After this is should settle on reasonable level and even go higher in time. And I say this because of multiple factors:

• there are more people interested in legendary gear, than in raiding
  • LIs are still time gated hard so supply should always be lower than demand
  • current forced raiders will leave lfg, making the supply even lower when only raid enthusiast are going to stay to play raids
  • TP flipping with LIs should make them pricy enough

Currently, only few groups is capable of selling raids making it a niche market owned by raid sellers. Tradable LIs would allow all raiders to profit on leftover LIs, making wealth distribution not only easier but also safer (using TP you are safe from being scammed via mails).

The price of Legendary Insights will depend on how much they will be used in future content, because as they are now, they are a wasted currency.If they make them tradeable, at one point they will reach 1 copper in value as more and more players will get their armor and have no use for LI anymore, this is already happening for those that want only one set.If they make them tradebale, their usage will need to be updated (by a LOT), so they maintain their value. Adding Legendary Insights as components to every piece of Legendary gear released afterwards would be a good compromise I think. Just how we need Memories of Battle (WVW), Shards of Glory (PVP) and Stabilizing Matrices (Fractals) to make most Legendary items. Adding Legendary Insights (Raids) as a component would probably allow Legendary Insights to keep their value high enough and not be a dead currency in a very short period of time.

It remains a big "if", but I guess the topic is to discuss what would happen if they did, so this is my take on the topic.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

I’ll elaborate more:

oh you edited

It's very possible initial burst right after the implementation will cause the price to change agressively. After this is should settle on reasonable level and
even go higher in time
. And I say this because of multiple factors:

I disagree with the bolded and The why will be in my responses to each of your points.

• there are more people interested in legendary gear, than in raiding

Yes but not many are willing to spend there gold to purchase runs. If we assume the LI’s sell for as much as it costs to obtain one from buying raids, there will not be more players obtaining them through eithe method. If the price increases, you can expect less will.

• LIs are still time gated hard so supply should always be lower than demand

Demand for an item is not the same as demand for an item at a particular price point. Over time, supply will steadily increase each week as players sell their unneeded LI’s if supply doesn’t meet the demand at that price point.

• current forced raiders will leave lfg, making the supply even lower when only raid enthusiast are going to stay to play raids

Cannibalization. If LI’s remained at the existing cost to obtain them from raid clears, the impact would be negligible. If the price of selling LI increased buying raids would cannibalize LI sales. If the price of selling LI decreased, it would cannibalize raid clear sales.

• TP flipping with LIs should make them pricy enough

The impact of LI prices being manipulated depends on the number of LI’s entering the market each week and how willing someone is to hold onto them when they’re priced at a higher price point. If more LI are entering the market than they can sell each week, expect the price to drop.

Currently, only few groups is capable of selling raids making it a niche market owned by raid sellers. Tradable LIs would allow all raiders to profit on leftover LIs, making wealth distribution not only easier but also safer (using TP you are safe from being scammed via mails).

Yes. And this would mean that the price of LI’s would be worth less if you could sell them than buying them through raid clears. This is because everyone else that could not participate in selling raids now have an equal opportunity to profit.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:Efficiency is irrelevant because in this game you get almost anything eventually, because rewards are finite and are mostly dependand on farming, not skill.

If that was even remotely true then CoF P1 farm, SW RIBA, AB ML, Palawadan farm and any other such MASSIVE farm would've never existed.And yet CoF P1 farm, SW chestfarm, FG boss train existed alongside themselves at the same time, even if (based purely on efficiency) SW farm should have made all the other farms (as well as players content to get gold the normal way, without farming) disappear.

We both know that they did, and do exist. We both know that the next best farm will appear and players will go there by the thousands. So efficiency is, in fact, above all.We also know, that this will
not
empty other contents (unless the loot there is significantly subpar, and sometimes even then), so efficiency (while important) is, in fact
not
all.

Enjoyment/fun, challenge/difficulty are secondary objectives, they do exist of course, but for the majority of the players, it's all about the most efficient path to the same rewards.

No. For the majority of the players all that is enough is that the content they like don't give subpar rewards. Dedicated farmers you speak of, those that put efficiency above everything, were always a minority.

@maddoctor.2738 said:The price of Legendary Insights will depend on how much they will be used in future content, because as they are now, they are a wasted currency.If they make them tradeable, at one point they will reach 1 copper in value as more and more players will get their armor and have no use for LI anymore, this is already happening for those that want only one set.If they make them tradebale, their usage will need to be updated (by a LOT), so they maintain their value. Adding Legendary Insights as components to every piece of Legendary gear released afterwards would be a good compromise I think. Just how we need Memories of Battle (WVW), Shards of Glory (PVP) and Stabilizing Matrices (Fractals) to make most Legendary items. Adding Legendary Insights (Raids) as a component would probably allow Legendary Insights to keep their value high enough and not be a dead currency in a very short period of time.

It remains a big "if", but I guess the topic is to discuss what would happen if they did, so this is my take on the topic.They are also a component in making the cheapest craftable ascended armor on the market. That alone would keep their price well above the copper level.

Although the use you speak of would also work, i guess.

Taking into consideration that even very casual raiders have more than 250 LIs now the price would drop insanely fast if they would be tradeable. The fiction that whales would buy them all is unrealistic as hell. The market would be flooded anyways and the price would be a copper like for Resonating Slivers etc.I mean even on GW2efficiency there are so freaking many people with over 1k LIs and the eff user number only is a small sample according to the anti-raiding crowd.

Also, raid selling wouldn't disappear and neither would prices drop significantly because if you have a look at Djudz' stream and where they are making the money it's mostly Dhuum CM and full clears that you need anyways for making the leggy armor. I barely see them selling single bosses or wings for LIs. Especially if you have Escort and Wing 4 with easy encounters. A lot of players are not buying raids, they play them.

Advantage would be: Faster acquiring of leggy armor and a lot less play time. Looks good to begin with but would again bore out people leading to leaving the game faster because Anet isn't able to deliver appropriate content. Getting the armor should be a journey - all armors (PvE, WvW and PvP) are designed like that. Making LIs tradeable completely goes against that strategy. Very unlikely that this will happen. ^^

Additionally it was brought up that people would be able to get ascended gear way faster than usually which would totally negate the concept of crafting that gear or relying on good fractal rng (for non-raiders). Definitely a thing Anet won't advocate.

A solution I agree to is the possibility to sell them at a vendor like you can do with 100CM Unstable Cosmic Essences. 50s per piece is a reasonable price. And of course adding other sinks. :)

@"Astralporing.1957" said:We also know, that this will not empty other contents (unless the loot there is significantly subpar, and sometimes even then), so efficiency (while important) is, in fact not all.I saw a completely different picture when SW RIBA was first up (pre HoT), then AB ML and then Palawadan so I'm not sure about this.

No. For the majority of the players all that is enough is that the content they like don't give subpar rewards. Dedicated farmers you speak of, those that put efficiency above everything, were always a minority.The majority of the LFG listings and having 20+ maps at a time is a "minority now"? Where is this majority playing anyway? Role playing in LA?

They are also a component in making the cheapest craftable ascended armor on the market. That alone would keep their price well above the copper level.Although the use you speak of would also work, i guess.

And if this change was implemented that craftable Ascended gear would become even cheaper. Now there is at the very least a gate of skill, with this change there won't be such a gate and all Ascended items will suffer as a result.

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:It won't ever be made tradeable, for the same reasons why account bound materials even exist.

I’ll quote myself from page 2

@NotOverlyCheesy.9427 said:

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:The wiki sort of answers the question:

NotesThe chests from raid bosses can only be looted once a week, therefore an account can currently get at most 17 Legendary Insights per week.

ANET obviously wants to time gate the acquisition of LIs, so making them tradeable would circumvent that.

The thread isn't about what Anet intended to do with LIs. It's about how people would feel if they were made tradeable and what kind of impact it'd have for the game.

The threads tend to derail quite a bit on these forums so I'm not blaming you for the misunderstanding though

@Vinceman.4572 said:It's a legit answer from him and additionally it's a very rational one. If you don't agree to his opinion it's ok but don't expect others to share your visions or to get into your hypothetical views.

It is not an opinion. It doesn’t tell what how he would feel if the change were to happen or what impact it’d have for the game.

Discussion of that hypothetical is the whole point of this thread.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"Astralporing.1957" said:We also know, that this will
not
empty other contents (unless the loot there is significantly subpar, and sometimes even then), so efficiency (while important) is, in fact
not
all.I saw a completely different picture when SW RIBA was first up (pre HoT), then AB ML and then Palawadan so I'm not sure about this.What i saw was CoF p1 being still immensely popular when SW chestfarm went in (wasn't called RIBA then), even though SW was at least twice as efficient then (and even more before initial nerfs). In fact, i still saw people farming embers in Cursed Shore at that time, even though it was simply not comparable to either SW nor CoF. Just as i see people doing Tarir now, long after the nerfs to multiloot made it way subpar to both SW and Palaloot.

No. For the majority of the players all that is enough is that the content they like don't give
subpar
rewards. Dedicated farmers you speak of, those that put efficiency above everything, were always a minority.The majority of the LFG listings and having 20+ maps at a time is a "minority now"? Where is this majority playing anyway? Role playing in LA?Where do you have those 20+ maps now? Both SW and Pala usually have one map up, two at most.Yes, it was like that at the time of AB ML, but that was when ML was immensely broken and made
everything
wildly subpar in comparison. It wasn't just a case of being
more efficient
. Palaloot at its height didn't even come close to that, by the way.

They are also a component in making the cheapest craftable
ascended
armor on the market. That alone would keep their price well above the copper level.Although the use you speak of would also work, i guess.

And if this change was implemented that craftable Ascended gear would become even cheaper.That wouldn't be bad at all. I have always considered it to be way too costly anyway.

Now there is at the very least a gate of skill, with this change there won't be such a gate and all Ascended items will suffer as a result.There is no gate of skill for ascended gear. None at all. There never was. If you mean though that it is way cheaper for people that are already doing content they should have geared up for first... well, that is simply a bad design. It's offering you a thing you might want, but only
after
you needed it most.

@CptAurellian.9537 said:Content is there to be played. Allowing players to buy everything with a generic currency (i.e. gold) devalues the content and is detrimental to player retention in the game, which is crucial for a MMO. That's already been explained in this thread, by the way.

Indeed this has been gone over and I disagreed with those points as well as gave my reasoning. However you are entitled to your opinion.

@Vinceman.4572 said:Still you have to accept such answers in a forum and it clearly shows his opinion without any doubt. Dunno, it's not very hard to see/understand that - one do not have to read between lines here.

Maybe I am stupid but I still don’t know how he’d feel if the changes were to happen.

I prefer the current implementation where things arent tradeable. I prefer achievements and rewards to clearly show players accomplishments rather than half a measure of how much gold they have acquired throughout their playtime or how much of a trader they are.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

And if this change was implemented that craftable Ascended gear would become even cheaper.That wouldn't be bad at all. I have always considered it to be way too costly anyway.It was Anets reasoning behind making ascended equipment. They considered exotic too easy to get so I think ascended is in a good spot, if not already too easy again

@Malediktus.9250 said:

And if this change was implemented that craftable Ascended gear would become even cheaper.That wouldn't be bad at all. I have always considered it to be way too costly anyway.It was Anets reasoning behind making ascended equipment. They considered exotic too easy to get so I think ascended is in a good spot, if not already too easy again

With time, ascended gear becomes a pretty easy thing (all my 9 characters now have at least one full set of ascended/legendary and I have enough chests on my bank char for 3 further sets), but it takes quite a while to reach that point. For more or less recent beginners, I assume that the journey towards a full set of ascended gear is anything but trivial.

@CptAurellian.9537 said:

With time, ascended gear becomes a pretty easy thing (all my 9 characters now have at least one full set of ascended/legendary and I have enough chests on my bank char for 3 further sets), but it takes quite a while to reach that point. For more or less recent beginners, I assume that the journey towards a full set of ascended gear is anything but trivial.But there is no reason for beginners to have full ascended stuff right away, most content is fine with exotic. The stat boost is tiny so you only need ascended armor if you want to have it easier to get 150 AR

@"CptAurellian.9537" said:Content is there to be played. Allowing players to buy everything with a generic currency (i.e. gold) devalues the content and is detrimental to player retention in the game, which is crucial for a MMO. That's already been explained in this thread, by the way.

Indeed this has been gone over and I disagreed with those points as well as gave my reasoning. However you are entitled to your opinion.

As are you, unfortunately for your point of view (or assumptions):

Arenanet has been focusing more and more on exclusive content and exclusive currencies as in they've doubled down on this approach even more than before HoT. If we are to assume that they are designing with the best health of the game (or the most profit for their wallet) keeping exclusive rewards to specific content is in their eyes the best way to implement rewards.

This is also applicable in tier 2 legendarys which are strictly account bound and require heavy amounts of time gated materials as well as account bound materials.

Now you can take this fact or leave it and disagree as much as you want. This does support the theory though that keeping LI not trade-able is in the best interest of the game (unless Arenanet are mistaken obviously). The last time everything was available with a single currency was pre HoT and it was causing huge issues with perceived worth and the tier 1 legendary weapon change has undeniably reduced those items to nothing but "nice credit card legendary".

Archived