Thinking about come back to GW2 after a 5 year hiatus

@Grim West.3194 said:

@Nuka Cola.8520 said:Its not worth it because the game is better or the best there is. Its worth it because there's nothing else, and nothing coming on the horizon. I bet you that if Lost Ark was released and was as good as it looks in the videos, anet would be in panic mode.

Basically this. It's the best RvR atm because WvW is pretty much the only RvR game for now. It's not bad but it could be so much better. Crowfall

Its not the best RvR though.

@Puddin Cheeks.8539 said:First Question, is it worth it? I used to roll on DB WvW non-stop and got burned out. Have they made any improvements that make it worthwhile to relearn the game and skills?

Its considerably different from 5 years ago. With HoT came a new Borderlands (which is now only available as the Red Borderlands), new Guild System with new stuff for WvW, new WXp skills, and they also changed completely how Objectives level up. Good news is you don't have to spend coin on it any more, bad news it's mostly time-based now and you don't pick specific improvements to prioritize.

For you it'll look entirely different. Not sure if better though... The community is definitely worse (smaller and less spread out). Larger servers are more stacked than ever, class balance is definitely worse, and most of the old issues are still present today.

My advice is, give it a try and judge by yourself. Personally at this moment i think all aspects of GW2 pvp are a waste of time, as in my opinion they have degraded considerably.

Commanding strategies are way different and the powercreep incited from the expansions is beyond ridiculous. Most of the combat is low risk/high reward cheese and ANet largely hasn't fixed anything from core in half a decade. The PvP league collapsed from poor balancing and no updates, and the WvW servers got linked together thanks to massive population drops since HoT. Most maps aren't queued on reset nights across most tiers.

The game's vision has drastically changed. GW2 feels increasingly more and more like a kRPG.

I recently stopped playing after playing on and off for a number of months. While I sometimes want to pop in for the fluid combat, I'm usually happy with my decision not to log in to save myself the frustration.

I'll come back if ANet gets its act together. Until then, I really can't recommend this game to anyone looking for the type of experience they wanted and got near launch.

@"Puddin Cheeks.8539" said:I gave it a whirl tonight, boy was that fun. My good ole hammer build with my jugger is out of date. I managed a few good skirmishes but got rekt for the most part. The changes the the whole skill system and stuff will take a little to get used to for sure.

Until I saw the post above I was going to say NOT to listen to all the "WvW is in a bad place" posts and just come play. Those are from people who were burnt out or left because they didn't like the changes, or whatever. Some nights there are queues on 2-3 maps, hundreds of people are still fighting nightly, etc., there IS still defending and roaming, etc..

It's a matter of opinion... I came back around 8 weeks ago after also starting in 2013 and am loving the game for WvW and to a lesser extent PvP and some PvE. IMO it's the best MMO out there right now for large-group pvp. We had non-stop fighting tonight for 4 hours.

With how easy it is to level up and gear a char, and you probably have enough birthday gifts to have just about all classes at 80 by now, what have you got to loose?

Z

@ZNICK.8537 said:

@"Puddin Cheeks.8539" said:I gave it a whirl tonight, boy was that fun. My good ole hammer build with my jugger is out of date. I managed a few good skirmishes but got rekt for the most part. The changes the the whole skill system and stuff will take a little to get used to for sure.

Until I saw the post above I was going to say NOT to listen to all the "WvW is in a bad place" posts and just come play. Those are from people who were burnt out or left because they didn't like the changes, or whatever. Some nights there are queues on 2-3 maps, hundreds of people are still fighting nightly, etc., there IS still defending and roaming, etc..

It's a matter of opinion... I came back around 8 weeks ago after also starting in 2013 and am loving the game for WvW and to a lesser extent PvP and some PvE. IMO it's the best MMO out there right now for large-group pvp. We had non-stop fighting tonight for 4 hours.

With how easy it is to level up and gear a char, and you probably have enough birthday gifts to have just about all classes at 80 by now, what have you got to loose?

Z

I ended up buying both xpacs for 25 dollars so even if I just get some PvE roaming time in before I burn out again, I feel it's worth it. I do have a question though, do you have to unlock all this mastery stuff in PvE for each character to use it in WvW or is there some way around that?

Masteries only affect PVE.

There are a few new WXP lines that was added after HOT, most notably the "War Gliding" and the whatever its name something logistics/provision that lets you autoloot. They do similar things to the PVE masteries, but are not linked at all. Except that you need to have HOT on your account to use them iirc.

Similarly, for obvious reasons, learning those WXP lines won't give you gliding or autoloot in PVE, or anywhere else.

@morrolan.9608 said:

@Nuka Cola.8520 said:Its not worth it because the game is better or the best there is. Its worth it because there's nothing else, and nothing coming on the horizon. I bet you that if Lost Ark was released and was as good as it looks in the videos, anet would be in panic mode.

Basically this. It's the best RvR atm because WvW is pretty much the only RvR game for now. It's not bad but it could be so much better. Crowfall

What game has better RvR right now? I'm truly curious. Would be interested in checking it out.

I'm not saying WvW is great, far from it. But it really doesn't have any competition, iirc.

I know you can still play Daoc, but it's too old and slow for 2018 (imo). WarHammer can be played on private servers, but it's 2 realm RvR is broken. I gave up on it years ago. The same is true for Aion and all the other broken 2 realm rvr games. But there are so many games out now, it is very possible that a good RvR game exists in 2018 and I missed it.

@Grim West.3194 said:

What game has better RvR right now? I'm truly curious. Would be interested in checking it out.

I'm not saying WvW is great, far from it. But it really doesn't have any competition, iirc.

I know you can still play Daoc, but it's too old and slow for 2018 (imo). WarHammer can be played on private servers, but it's 2 realm RvR is broken. I gave up on it years ago. The same is true for Aion and all the other broken 2 realm rvr games. But there are so many games out now, it is very possible that a good RvR game exists in 2018 and I missed it.

ESO, its design is better than WvW. What lets it down is its combat is clunky compared to GW2. I enjoy playing it more than WvW despite this clunkiness.

@"Puddin Cheeks.8539" said:I do have a question though, do you have to unlock all this mastery stuff in PvE for each character to use it in WvW or is there some way around that?you can ignore pve completelyyou can buy hero points to unlock traits with wvw currency when you have unlocked the npc via https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_Experience#WXP_upgradesyou can even buy some of the better runes for wvw currencyand when you choose a reward track e.g. glorious you can get exotic armor where you can select all statswith a mixture of pvp season rewards and wvw pip rewards you can also get ascendend armor and weapons with out crafting in a decend amount of time

@Puddin Cheeks.8539 said:

@Puddin Cheeks.8539 said:I gave it a whirl tonight, boy was that fun. My good ole hammer build with my jugger is out of date. I managed a few good skirmishes but got rekt for the most part. The changes the the whole skill system and stuff will take a little to get used to for sure.

yea power creep is a thing, i assume you play warrior? old worker warri build with hammer/sword+horn? i have a pof build thats based on that for publics, not meta anymore but still viable, posted it on the warrior forum.metabuild is a more dmg oriented build with almost no group support (boonrips and cc)those builds are mostly marauder and berserker gear and something like scrapper rune or durability, they run spellbreaker and hammer/gs

I actually have characters for Ele,Mes,War,Ranger that i used to use in WvW. Never was much on the others since we had good guild members filling those other slots out. I really just ended up playing War because I would run around as commander and carry banners and needed to be tanky. I actually was hammer and bow to charge my sigils and skills and then jump into combat.

out of those classes id say warrior is the most needed, ele for dps, warrior is full melee tho, bubbles (winds of disenchantment) are essential right now

@morrolan.9608 said:

ESO, its design is better than WvW. What lets it down is its combat is clunky compared to GW2. I enjoy playing it more than WvW despite this clunkiness.

Oops, forgot about that one. Shouldn't have since I do play it.

But I'm still on the fence about ESO rvr. The clunky combat is a real turn off. The grind is too. But it does have positives that make it a true competitor to GW2. Allowing people to play for any side pretty much kills the meta though. If combat were more fluid, I would give it more credit.

No, don't waste your time unless you want to pve.

I only come on every now and then to hit up some old friends. Nothing has really changed in regards to WvW and people still think that balancing the game for pve (except in occasional moments of lucidity) and reshuffling the chairs in WvW so we can delude ourselves into thinking a dying population is going to make it playable just because it's spread out more uniformly.

Archived