Is removing titles from sPvP good for the game mode?

Faux Play.6104

@Abazigal.3679 said:

@"FrizzFreston.5290" said:I don't believe a special title or something unique is needed for a competitive mode to be competitive.

That's an interesting sentence. I mean in WoW or GW1, the point was mostly to show off your achievement by displaying HA emote, champion titles, guild tag, guild cape.You could consider someone with a silver trim, phoenix emote and champion 6 title a good player.

Now, how would you notice someone is good without anything to difference him from a beginner in HotM ? Pretty much the same as saying " legendaries are useless for PvE " to me .

The key word is "needed". You dont need treats for players to peform competitively.

I understand that its not common for MMOs where players are constantly rewarded, but if the PvP landscape becomes so obsessed with obtaining the goodies that theyre willing to cheat for it, then the only thing that can be done to focus the players more on being the better player, which what PvP happens to be about, then leaving out some unique rewards might indeed improve competitiveness rather than feeding the reward junkies.

IE. I sometimes try to get the best time i can in certain adventures. It doesnt have any reward at all beyond the ranking on that list. And still its very competitive.

Its not that are rewards useless, just not required.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Nova.3817 said:Also your speculation is unfounded as your assuming team que would have super low pop but you dont know that... unless your saying the current spvp population as a whole is super low to which is correct compared to what it was when team que existed :-pI'm assuming full team population would be lower than it was when it was removed (which is fairly obvious since it's been years and tons of people left the game).

Strong disagree that removing titles will get rid of wintrading. If we're going down that route let's get rid of ranks and ATs.

No, I've lost all motivation to keep pvping. My guilds have transferred and WvW on my server is garbage. I think it's time for a hiatus, but that's the beauty of this game! Can always come back

@Alatar.7364 said:

@Faux Play.6104 said:In my opinion, this reduces the game mode to a legendary material farm. It gave people a reason to improve. Now there is little incentive to try to get better at the game mode.

It also gave people incentive to Wintrade. Now there is no incentive to Wintrade. And what's left is split in to Players who Farm and Players who want to Compete. Either way, without something to Wintrade for, the concentration of players playing to improve will be higher, while the number of players Farming will remain unaffected.

People will still win trade. Any system ever created that rewards success will also reward cheating. It's just a matter of being capable of finding and catching them.

I'm really happy they are bringing back duo queue as I hope team queue will be implemented back into the game soon.... In saying that, removing the titles was wrong.1 step forward, 8 steps back....

Under team queue I was a bronze scrub, under solo queue I was a low plat high gold scrub, so I'll never get a title nor do I care for one but there needs to be something to keep top players around to be matched with each other because it effects something I do care about and that's match quality, it's the only thing to care about until playing with friends becomes a reality again.... it's hard to care about anything when you're having fun with friends.

@rank eleven monk.9502 said:

@Nova.3817 said:Entire premades should be a thing thus eliminating win trading..... so no need to remove titlesHow does that eliminate wintrading...?

Hard to get someone on the opposing team if they are 5 stack ayeIt's actually so much easier.5 man queue -> queue with 5 alts at the same time -> you will get matched with each other on a 99,9% chance due to low pop and the way matchmaking works -> noone will ever report you or find it out and you don't even have to put up a fight.

I guess you you were not here when we had teamq in ranked.

WOA!Can someone educate me on what sort of set up is required to pull this off please it seems really far fetched to me, my PC can barely handle opening Google when GW2 is running.And I have to wonder, who would go to that sheer amount of effort? Assuming they have a PC that could run 5-6 accounts from 1 PC.

I was around during team queue era and the old loot system tied to ranks and forging but I certainly don't remember people doing what you are claiming, most of the games I was in was usually against my own guildies or other guilds or it was a mixture of 3/2 v 3/2 or 5 v 4/1 sort of party set ups, players got more rewards under team queue so it was common to see solo players in the mix to fill those 4 party spots up.

• 2 weeks later...

No clue. I didn't feel like the titles were a huge incentive, but I guess they're better than nothing. I would vote 'yes' if it meant there was a better incentive (like exclusive skins or something), but if the alternative is to have nothing then my vote is 'no.'

@breno.5423 said:

@Faux Play.6104 said:In my opinion, this reduces the game mode to a legendary material farm. It gave people a reason to improve. Now there is little incentive to try to get better at the game mode.

It also gave people incentive to Wintrade. Now there is no incentive to Wintrade.

Also, no incentive to play sPvP competitively (y)

If you think Titles are reason to play competitively, then you never knew what playing competitively is, in the first place.Competitiveness is not for those who want rewards but for those who want to be good, how exactly could removal of titles possibly affect that desire unless it was just the reward you wanted, to begin with?

@Alatar.7364 said:

It also gave people incentive to Wintrade. Now there is no incentive to Wintrade.

If you think Titles are reason to play competitively, then you never knew what playing competitively is, in the first place.Competitiveness is not for those who want rewards but for those who want to be good, how exactly could removal of titles possibly affect that desire unless it was just the reward you wanted, to begin with?

Titles are pretty much the only way to show others how good you are, you gotta difference material reward with competitive reward. PvP players do not really care about gold/items and stuff, just recognition among other PvP players i believe.

If you remove a source of motivation to climb to top250, why would some players do their best in order to win/recover from a bad going match, a 4v5, afk, bad setup,.. ? Pretty much my problem. This is already the case today and i'm afraid it's going to be even worse after removing titles.

@Abazigal.3679 said:

Titles are pretty much the only way to show others how good you are

This.

Actually, badges should do this job, but the badge system is poorly done.Badges are the best way to show your actual skill rating, but 50% of the spvp owns the same badge (platinum).I suggest to create new badges for 1600~1699 and 1700~1799.

@Abazigal.3679 said:

@"Faux Play.6104" said:In my opinion, this reduces the game mode to a legendary material farm. It gave people a reason to improve. Now there is little incentive to try to get better at the game mode.

Titles are pretty much the only way to show others how good you are, you gotta difference material reward with competitive reward. PvP players do not really care about gold/items and stuff, just recognition among other PvP players i believe.

If you remove a source of motivation to climb to top250, why would some players do their best in order to win/recover from a bad going match, a 4v5, afk, bad setup,.. ? Pretty much my problem. This is already the case today and i'm afraid it's going to be even worse after removing titles.

I understand the need to show others how good you are, however if someone truly cares about that then Removal of Titles is small price to pay for better matches without Wintraders and Badges will do the job of "recognition". And if that's not enough then you can still compete for mAT Title. Beside, PvP players are more recognized among others by their skill and not title. I don't have any idea what titles some top tier players have or if they have any at all, but I know them from Matches against them and with them, sometimes from Streams. Thanks to Wintraders it is now very speculative whether title can actually speak for that Player let alone indicate his/hers skill level.Players should try to recover from bad going match, afk, etc. by their desire to get better/win/ or reach the higher divisions if recognition is what they want, if any of those is not enough of a reason for them and if they don't care for material rewards as you suggest, then obviously they should not play Ranked what so ever and play Unrank instead, because apparently getting better or having challenging matches is not what they truly want and that's what Rank is about.

@Alatar.7364 said:

@"Faux Play.6104" said:In my opinion, this reduces the game mode to a legendary material farm. It gave people a reason to improve. Now there is little incentive to try to get better at the game mode.

Badges will do the job of "recognition".

Its a Joke?1 to 250 guys of the leaderboards are platinum.Badge system dont show your "skill rating" properly, thats why we need the titles.

@breno.5423 said:

Its a Joke?1 to 250 guys of the leaderboards are platinum.Badge system dont show your "skill rating" properly, thats why we need the titles.

Or more Divisions ;) Which would also synchronize well with Ben's idea to remake rewards in to Tier based Rewards.

@Alatar.7364 said:

Or more Divisions ;) Which would also synchronize well with Ben's idea to remake rewards in to Tier based Rewards.

More divisions. But maybe it would be better to have numbers instead of divisions. Extending the top250 to top1000 or even more might be more explicit to players.Also eventually titles displaying the amount of games won ( even if that won't be a true indicator, will still reflect experience )

@Alatar.7364 said:

Why not just create more badges? '-'The result is the same.

@breno.5423 said:

Why not just create more badges? '-'The result is the same.

That's just other way of saying More Divisions. You can't have multiple badges representing the same division, only the Tiers at best which is the same solution as I said.

Archived