Less Flashiness ,maybe?!

Nury.3062

@Nury.3062 said:

@CeNedro.7560 said:What's the point of having a glowing raptor/weapon/armour/infusion when no one is forced to look at it?It might be annoying and obtrusive, but that's the reason why ppl like to use it.

The real problem is the skill-screen-clutter. F.e.: Depending on your group it's extremely difficult to see which direction Seamus(Caudecus P3) is facing(not even mentioning zerg fights)

Why should I be forced to look at something I don't like and that bothers me,ruining my experience in the game,in what world does that make any sense? If you want to look like a christmas tree,you do you and run around the way you like but that doesn't mean everyone should have to see all that. Do you know how many people care that you have that new flashy infusion?Nobody aside from your friends probably...

Someone is forcing you to play this game? You should call for help.

@Nury.3062 said:

@"CeNedro.7560" said:What's the point of having a glowing raptor/weapon/armour/infusion when no one is forced to look at it?It might be annoying and obtrusive, but that's the reason why ppl like to use it.

The real problem is the skill-screen-clutter. F.e.: Depending on your group it's extremely difficult to see which direction Seamus(Caudecus P3) is facing(not even mentioning zerg fights)

Why should I be forced to look at something I don't like and that bothers me,ruining my experience in the game,in what world does that make any sense? If you want to look like a christmas tree,you do you and run around the way you like but that doesn't mean everyone should have to see all that. Do you know how many people care that you have that new flashy infusion?Nobody aside from your friends probably...

Which world... let me think... TYRIA ;)Doesn't matter that most likely the player her/himself cares most about what s/he's wearing and that it's important to him/her represent their character the way he/she likes. It's important to the playerbase to create their character the way they like and that other players see their character the way they created it. You are annoyed by flashy infusions, I'm annoyed of girls showing too much skin, someone else might be annoyed by something else. Sure we could introduce a "stick figure"-mode, but that would take away the whole fashionpart of this rpg.

@Nury.3062 said:

@"CeNedro.7560" said:What's the point of having a glowing raptor/weapon/armour/infusion when no one is forced to look at it?It might be annoying and obtrusive, but that's the reason why ppl like to use it.

Why should I be forced to look at something I don't like and that bothers me,ruining my experience in the game,in what world does that make any sense?

The real world. You're going to see people who don't dress the way you like or look how you want them to, and you're just going to have to accept it. Look, in the business of reality, this is what we refer to as a "first world problem." Which is basically a code word for it being not a problem at all. You've attached a disproportionate amount of despair to seeing people, and instead of accepting this terrible fate of yours you are trying to get other people to implement non-specific changes game-wide. Development resources are better spent elsewhere, especially since you can just turn down character quality and generic 9/10ths of the players.

Well, maybe one day anet will implement the auras into the wardrobe and then people won't be able to stack infusions and the like into absurdity.

Though, frankly, this may not be that big of an issue. During large fights there's enough sfx flying around to notice the flashy characters, and the rest of the time I seldom have to look at a X'mas tree more than a passing few seconds (while gathering a node, for instance).

This is probably a lot more noticeable on "idle areas" where people intentionally park their characters to show off. My solution is to pick a less frequented area, like any of the starter cities to do my idle related stuff.

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

Why should I be forced to look at something I don't like and that bothers me,ruining my experience in the game,in what world does that make any sense?

The real world. You're going to see people who don't dress the way you like or look how you want them to, and you're just going to have to accept it. Look, in the business of reality, this is what we refer to as a "first world problem." Which is basically a code word for it being not a problem at all. You've attached a disproportionate amount of despair to seeing people, and instead of accepting this terrible fate of yours you are trying to get other people to implement non-specific changes game-wide. Development resources are better spent elsewhere, especially since you can just turn down character quality and generic 9/10ths of the players.

And here I am thinking that we were talking about a game and not the real world,it's a game where things can be changed to fit what different gamers like,the way Anet went for absurdly blinding auras to please a part of the players,the same they can do for the ones who don't like it and give us the option to turn them off.The auras were not here from the beginning(the only ones were the legendary ones and felt exclusive and were not even that bad) so it was a shift in design.

@Blocki.4931 said:So far I have seen a single person that was so white and shiny that it was actually impossible to make out their character.

I don't think it's a huge issue. People can do whatever they want and if the shine disturbs you that much turn off post processing, suddenly they are far less shiny and the applied filter looks ugly anyway

I tried turning off post-processing except my game suddenly gets a lot darker and way more drab. Light reflections are gone. It's amazing how much of the brightness and color in the game is tied directly to post processing. Not to mention, I actually like the light reflections on environmental objects, the way the skies look, etc. It's the costumes, auras, and combat effects that are the problem.

I also have to run the game in Fullscreen Windowed mode or I get a lot of screen tearing. The downside is that you can't adjust your gamma levels in-game to make up for it.

There is a setting in the game that reduces model quality however for some obscure reason it doesn't affect weapons or back items that well. They need to add those in the mix too because at current levels of flashiness it's as if the setting doesn't exist. After all, why can't I show off my Armor while the guy next to me can show off his Legendary weapon? The setting needs to expanded to include weapons, back items and infusions

@Draco.9480 said:don't like it? don't wear/use it. others like it and wear/use it. are ya going to tell people not to wear/use those items? taste is subjective.

That's not what's being asked for here. What OP and people like me are asking for is a graphical slider to tone down the flashiness of outfits/backpacks/weapons on our monitors, etc. People can wear what they want, and we don't have to have our retinas burned out ;) It's a win-win for everyone!

@"maddoctor.2738" said:There is a setting in the game that reduces model quality however for some obscure reason it doesn't affect weapons or back items that well. They need to add those in the mix too because at current levels of flashiness it's as if the setting doesn't exist. After all, why can't I show off my Armor while the guy next to me can show off his Legendary weapon? The setting needs to expanded to include weapons, back items and infusions

How does the medium setting look? I've tried low, and the pink hoods kill me. I'm playing with fullscreen/turning off post processing/cranking up gamma levels and I'm going to give it a couple of days to see if I can take the flatness and if I'll have any tearing issues.

Edit: Just checked out medium model quality-- it also applies to your character and NPCs. It looks awful. "High" does nothing. I could swear I did this already and gave up because it looked worse than the bling. Ugh.

@Nury.3062 said:

And here I am thinking that we were talking about a game and not the real world,it's a game where things can be changed to fit what different gamers like,the way Anet went for absurdly blinding auras to please a part of the players,the same they can do for the ones who don't like it and give us the option to turn them off.The auras were not here from the beginning(the only ones were the legendary ones and felt exclusive and were not even that bad) so it was a shift in design.

I think this thread is the first time I've seen both the real world and the virtual in-game world to justify inaction on a single issue ;) I mean, in the real world we have things called graphical settings that we use to control our virtual worlds. We also don't have magic auras that people wear to actively blind you-- that's physically impossible. In the virtual world, we have in-game settings to control blinding pain. Except in this one they're primitive and limited shrug

@"Draco.9480" said:don't like it? don't wear/use it. others like it and wear/use it. are ya going to tell people not to wear/use those items? taste is subjective.This forum does not use any flashies in it, so all the words are easy to read. Right?Now lets try again. Can you read this thread clear enough now?Not asking to stop people equip Flashies, Asking to have an "Option" to turn the flashies down from users point of view as their liking of flashies.

To have it as an option would be really good, not only a simple ON/OFF for all flashiness from all players. I'd like to be able to tone it down just a little and sometimes i want to turn it off completly and sometimes a want to have it all visible. It depends on whan im doing and how many people there's around.So maybe HIGH/MEDUIM/LOW/OFF would be good. And also separate player fashions from other visible effects like skill effects to separate setting options.

Another thing in the options that would be nice is to be able to turn off all flashiness from everyone and everything except from the people in my party or friend list or from the current guild I'm representing. It would be great to have this same option with HIDE/SHOW other players names.If im doing a meta event and I'm in a big squad with alot of poeople i would like to have the option to to turn off all player names and all flashiness from everyone except those on my friend list and/or those who are in the same guild.

Most of the time i only just want to see the names and the flashy effects from skills and fashion from my own character and from my friends or those im playing with at the time.

@VanWilder.6923 said:

@"Draco.9480" said:don't like it? don't wear/use it. others like it and wear/use it. are ya going to tell people not to wear/use those items? taste is subjective.This forum does not use any flashies in it, so all the words are easy to read. Right?Now lets try again. Can you read this thread clear enough now?Not asking to stop people equip Flashies, Asking to have an "Option" to turn the flashies down from users point of view as their liking of flashies.

pay anet for that then.

It's a bit upsetting how there are people against this option when they are not even affected by it,hard to understand and if you say you don't want that option because you want other people to see that shiny aura you worked for,the people who want to see that will have that option on,so where is the point in showing your aura to the ones who don't like that type of stuff other than to be annoying.That option doesn't take anything from anyone and I dare to say that it might even be good for the future when new players join,who don't like flashiness. But maybe I don't see the negative things that can come with having an option like that so if any of you can tell us what would be bad about it,i would love to know.

@Draco.9480 said:

@Draco.9480 said:don't like it? don't wear/use it. others like it and wear/use it. are ya going to tell people not to wear/use those items? taste is subjective.This forum does not use any flashies in it, so all the words are easy to read. Right?Now lets try again. Can you read this thread clear enough now?Not asking to stop people equip Flashies, Asking to have an "Option" to turn the flashies down from users point of view as their liking of flashies.

pay anet for that then.

I would actually pay for that, the same way I'd pay for outfits that aren't glowy and shiny.

I'm guessing the fallout from Anet selling something like this would be awful. I can see the discussions now in the MMO press: "GW2 has the worst business model anywhere. They sell graphical settings." Bioware's taken a lot of flack for selling skill bars, but this is worse :p

Archived