Allow players to choose what armor type they want to wear

bara yaoi.3824

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if i read all the posts from anet about this subject it i can explain the problem this way i think: light armored character have the armor attachpoint at the skin, and heavy armor characters have then outward from the skin, so if you then put a light armor on a heavy character, it will stretch out the shoulders of the character to the armor attachpoints, giving you very weird stretched out shoulders. and if then you then put a heavy armor on a light armor character it will pushe the shoulders inward and give a weird distorted thin chest. and it seems this is a fundemental base of how the characters and armors are made thinking about movements of armors. and thats why you cannot mix and match heavy and light armors on your character

@Amanda Whitemoon.6173 said:if i read all the posts from anet about this subject it i can explain the problem this way i think: light armored character have the armor attachpoint at the skin, and heavy armor characters have then outward from the skin, so if you then put a light armor on a heavy character, it will stretch out the shoulders of the character to the armor attachpoints, giving you very weird stretched out shoulders. and if then you then put a heavy armor on a light armor character it will pushe the shoulders inward and give a weird distorted thin chest. and it seems this is a fundemental base of how the characters and armors are made thinking about movements of armors. and thats why you cannot mix and match heavy and light armors on your characterYeah but that just means that we won't be able to mix between the skin sets for different weight classes, not that they can't use an overlay to use light armor skins on medium weight chars.

@Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497 said:The armor weights do a very good job at telling players on a glance what they are. Are they a Caster (Ele, Necro, Mesmer), An adventurer (Thief, Ranger, Engie), or a fighter(Guardian, Warrior, Revenant)?

Letting an elementalist wear heavy armor skin would get confusing fast.As @"Tails.9372" said the outfits break that rule, but even without outfits you can't say what you play against only looking an armor, druid and deadeye (by example), have the same armor an aren't the same.Probably you think "but druid have a pet", yes different professions are more or less easy to identify, but this doesn't depend on armor type, Target indicator is the better way to identify what you're fighting right now.

I'm more about allowing people look like they want (armor skins without restrictions) but the armor attachment problem that points @Amanda Whitemoon.6173 is hard to fix. Now can only hope will be fixed in a future.

@Blocki.4931 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:Well, this is exactly why outfits exists. Armor is heavily tied to the classes, they can't just switch it up.

They can switch it up though.

No, they can't. I literally explained why. It's hardcoded into the classes.

@Blocki.4931 said:Armor is heavily tied to the classes, they can't just switch it up.Armor itself yes because they have different stats, but not the skins.

Yeah, no. Again, armor is tied to class and we can assume it would cause issues if that was bypassed. There's a reason our characters are naked if we preview a different armor class. Again, outfits bypass this by creating normalized character models and is the reason we see new outfits regularly while not getting new armor skins every release. Besides that they've brought up that they want to give each armor tier its own distinct "outline", aka trenchcoats for a majority of medium armors. While I don't particularly like this design philosophy they don't seem to want to back down from it.

Yes. This is true. I am suggesting that the player will be able to switch THIS. They will be able to switch their armor class. This is already doable with the preview function. Why you are so apprehensive? Did you just not understand what I was talking about?

Mebbe 2-3 more armor weights(light med heavy),acctbound outfit-like skin sets,defaulted to starting armor,the 6 parts can be reskinned individually with matching-weight skins,sold for gems in 1,5,10 pksWhether such outfits can be stored in a new outfit subsection, new outfit2 section, or as equippables from inventory, subject to coding needs and profitability

@Atticus.7194 said:This would not work, light, medium and heavy armor have different rigging points that allows them to be combined without looking ridic. Mixing the weights up would mean that many many armor sets together would not look or function right.

Honestly, just use an outfit, not trying to be a jerk here but there has to be some medium armor you like, if not use an outfit.

He literally outlined that in his post - you pre-select what weight you use and that's it.

I always thought that armor class should be tied to endurance in some way so that it could be a character building mechanic - different armor classes would have different strengths and weaknesses just like weapons. Having restricted armor class in a game like GW2 just forces too specific a class identity onto the player. WoW always acted like that was a good thing, and I never really understood why. Why wouldn't some elementalists decide to wear heavy armor on the battlefield?

@Clyan.1593 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:Well, this is exactly why outfits exists. Armor is heavily tied to the classes, they can't just switch it up.

They can switch it up though.

No they can't? At least not the stats. The skin probably yes, but if a glasscannon light armor class suddenly can wear heavy armor stats i think it would be bit stupid, no?

They can do it cosmetically.

IIRC Back in the first year or so you could mix match between armor classes in the preview.

I too think medium armor variety is kind of lacking, I actually really like mix matching my armor so maybe I could personally help you in-game with a style, I'm very happy with what I've achieved with all my characters tbh, I could show you even if just for inspiration (yes, even medium armor, I don't do average), tell me if you wanted to add me.

Other than that, it has been a lot of time and many armors have been added since then, that created a lot of options per se and I learned to be happy with that, though I have to admit that such technical limitations shouldn't be a thing in that kind of cosmetic system in 2018, they really should re-standardize many things, I mean, that's a lot of money in cosmetics they willingly lose this way.

Archived