[Suggestions] Convert duplicate weapon skins into transmutation charges

A lot of weapon skins automatically unlock themselves, while still taking up inventory space. The only use they have is to change a weapon's appearence without using a transmutation charge, and you have to manually destroy them, while going through the "you are destroying an extremely rare item" dialogue, to free up inventory space. Why can't we just convert those skins into transmutation charges and be done with it?

If this was implemented, I would have hundreds of charges.....so yes, please. While I see the reason they probably DON'T (transmutation charges would lose value on the gem store very quickly), I would still enjoy the feature even if it only worked for, say, rare and above items.

It's a great idea and I'd be happy if they implemented it (even though I won't benefit from it personally); I just doubt the cost:benefit will ever be high enough.

Lots of people have already deleted such items and some of the existing rewards would have to be converted as a result of this change. That's even without considering the actual changes that need to be made, not the least of which is adding the UI (something that ANet often has trouble with).

So lots of work, of greatest benefit to hoarders, of least benefit to those who keep their inventories clean, and of no benefit to many. Given how many QoL changes on our wish lists, this ends up as among the lowest priorities.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:It's a great idea and I'd be happy if they implemented it (even though I won't benefit from it personally); I just doubt the cost:benefit will ever be high enough.

Lots of people have already deleted such items and some of the existing rewards would have to be converted as a result of this change. That's even without considering the actual changes that need to be made, not the least of which is adding the UI (something that ANet often has trouble with).

So lots of work, of greatest benefit to hoarders, of least benefit to those who keep their inventories clean, and of no benefit to many. Given how many QoL changes on our wish lists, this ends up as among the lowest priorities.Every time you get a new weapon skin you won't have to go through the trouble of typing in that skin's name to delete it...

If they did that the value of the cheapest skins in the game would skyrocket. Rather than spending lots of gold/money on charges or doing map completion I could just buy tons of cheap skins for a silver or two. Personally I'd like that but it would completely kill whatever transmutation sales Anet makes in the gemstore.

@Tzarakiel.7490 said:If they did that the value of the cheapest skins in the game would skyrocket. Rather than spending lots of gold/money on charges or doing map completion I could just buy tons of cheap skins for a silver or two. Personally I'd like that but it would completely kill whatever transmutation sales Anet makes in the gemstore.

Only until all the cheap skins got bought up and then it would even out, only people who needed the skins would buy them then as there wouldnt be anything to gain from them.

@Tzarakiel.7490 said:If they did that the value of the cheapest skins in the game would skyrocket. Rather than spending lots of gold/money on charges or doing map completion I could just buy tons of cheap skins for a silver or two. Personally I'd like that but it would completely kill whatever transmutation sales Anet makes in the gemstore.

Pfft. Buy them from the weapon master WvW NPC for badges of honor...

@Temennigru.4612 said:Every time you get a new weapon skin you won't have to go through the trouble of typing in that skin's name to delete it...

First, that's not true; lots of skins do not require that.

Second, that can be addressed without creating a new mechanic. It's a matter of changing a 'flag' in the item's definition in the database (simply to do for one item; a tangled mess to validate a bulk script that changes only those skins we want changed, without any side effects).

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Temennigru.4612 said:Every time you get a new weapon skin you won't have to go through the trouble of typing in that skin's name to delete it...

Second, that can be addressed without creating a new mechanic. It's a matter of changing a 'flag' in the item's definition in the database (simply to do for one item; a tangled mess to validate a bulk script that changes only those skins we want changed, without any side effects).

Any skin you obtain from the black lion trading post(not the ones that require black lion weapon tickets) does which is idiotic because they unlock in the wardrobe automatically, but they still give you a physical item in your inventory.(outside of mount skins and for some reason a few of the glider/backpack combos which dont unlock). Armors you buy from the gemstore do the same thing, Having to type out six different things to delete one skin is frustrating.

What? Any skin purchased from the Trading Post unlocks automatically? I don't think so. Unless you mean once you equip it, or use it in the Mystic Forge, of course. Why would you delete them, if purchased? Either salvage or throw in the Forge.Now, Gem Store items may be different, but why purchase it if you do not wish to utilize the skin? Or, if you must purchase and don't want to use the skin, just copy/paste the name in the 'delete' box.

@Dante.1763 said:

Any skin you obtain from the black lion trading post(not the ones that require black lion weapon tickets) does which is idiotic because they unlock in the wardrobe automatically, but they still give you a physical item in your inventory.(outside of mount skins and for some reason a few of the glider/backpack combos which dont unlock). Armors you buy from the gemstore do the same thing, Having to type out six different things to delete one skin is frustrating.

tl;dr There are distinct ideas being that I think are getting combined in the discussion, confusing the core argument. The OP's suggestion isn't required to address the issue of typing out names to delete; it's a distraction from the core of the idea, which is to change a player annoyance (duplicate unlocks) to a benefit.

Skin Unlock Items, Deletion of DuplicatesThis is the digression to the OP's suggestion, because it has nothing directly to do with the concept of converting duplicate skins to charges.

• Do all skin unlock items require typing a name out? No, only some do.
  • Do **all skin unlock items automatically unlock for your account on acquisition? No, only the ones that are account bound do.
  • Is it incredibly annoying to have to type-to-delete for that fraction of items that are bound-on-acquisition? Absolutely. (Notable example: some gem shop skin unlock items.)
  • Can that be addressed by a simple change to the item's definition or does it require the OP's suggestion of a new mechanic? It can be addressed with a simple change (although implementation might be tricky).

Duplicate Skin Unlocks, Conversion to TransmutationThis is the background to the OP's suggestion: we get rewarded sometimes with duplicate unlock items; the OP would (reasonably) like some benefit rather than a cost (i.e. the minor time spent getting rid of the putative reward).

• Is it possible to get an account-bound, skin-unlock-item for a previously unlocked skin, i.e. otherwise an item of no use to the player? Yes. (Notable example: fractal weapon skins.)
  • Would it be helpful to some significant fraction of players if such items could be converted to transmutation charges? Absolutely, which is why the OP has suggested it (if I understand correctly.)
  • Does this require a new mechanic? Yes, it would, because there is currently no way to exchange any skin-unlock-item at all. ANet would have to create an interface for the exchange (vendor or hero panel or whatever) and a way for the game to identify which skin unlock items would quality.
  • Would this also resolve the issue of having to type out the name of skin-unlock-items to delete them? Yes, because people would instead convert them to charges.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:What? Any skin purchased from the Trading Post unlocks automatically? I don't think so. Unless you mean once you equip it, or use it in the Mystic Forge, of course. Why would you delete them, if purchased? Either salvage or throw in the Forge.Now, Gem Store items may be different, but why purchase it if you do not wish to utilize the skin? Or, if you must purchase and don't want to use the skin, just copy/paste the name in the 'delete' box.

I meant the gem store in the original sentence.

As to purchasing things and not wanting to use them, perhaps i have an idea for a theme and want the skin for later, since it gets added to the wardrobe instantly upon purchase what the hell is the point of requiring a type to delete box, its obnoxious in my opinion, considering how many trans charges i have hoarded i dont need the physical skin.

Just to be clear: Skins that automatically unlock themselves I count as duplicates because they give you a wardrobe unlock and an inventory item to unlock the wardrobe skin (which is basically a useless waste of space), and they are the ones that I consider to be most problematic. I would be fine with just account bound skins giving you transmutation charges, because I can't get rid of them specifically without hassle or getting something in return.

I honestly wouldn't care so much if they were automatically consumed, but I feel that I would be losing out on a transmutation charge, which is why I hoard them in the first place (not that I ever use them) and sometimes I drop actual duplicate account bound skins, which all I can do is destroy.

Archived