Guild Wars 2 New player Revenant questions

Greenlink.4538

@NeoHirotatsu.9057 said:

@"Greenlink.4538" said:Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance!

Dont get the wrong idea about the renegade. It is currently the strongest condi build in PvE on a stationary target. JayAction refers to PvP content where renegade is sadly a pushover with its huge tells that lets everyone and their mother evade whatever spell you tried to pull off. If all you want to play is open world, fractals, dungeons and raids, feel free to play your renegade.

As you mentioned, renegade is the strongest condi DPS in PvE on STATIONARY targets, especially on HUGE hitbox, but in open world, fotm not so many foes are totally stationary, even bosses will jump around, and most of them are small hitbox, which also is renegade's weak side, from what I read, renegade only shine in raid environment. And it seems that not so many players like group a condi renegade in fotm? I'm not sure though.

There's just a lot wrong with everyone's QQ here--all the above posts, not just yers Neo, I only quoted you cuz it was the bottom one (from a PvE perspective)...

• Over a third of Renegade's damage output comes from Torment... Which does MORE damage to moving targets than stationary ones. As you can see here (https://dps.report/HoCm-20190114-003216_dhuum) it accounts for 35-37% of my and the other renegade's total damage output on what is a mostly stationary boss. Had this been vs Desmina or Matthias, torment's contribution would have been even higher. (And yes you use short bow in raids, mace/axe camp hasn't been the way for ~8months now.)
  • Renegade is still a top dps option for small hitbox (you even still use seven shot). The only skill that loses prioritization against small hitbox is Citadel Bombardment--but running a Vindication/Baelfire build is something that very few Renegades even take the time to gear for since it's only used on a few bosses and isn't even the top # on them (except non-speed-run-strat Deimos) anyways. Essentially, it's a super try hard option that doesn't beat deadeye on Gorse or Weeber on Sloth or DD on Sam. The mentality of "Oh renegade is only good for large hitbox" is super dated and stems back to months and months ago before the differences in skill prioritization, gearing, and LL vs Vindication were as widley known by the general public due to SC's lack of detailed Renegade guides.
  • Yes, Condi Ren isn't generally wanted for FotM, but that goes for all condi builds. If a group is willing to take condi, Renegade is still one of the strongest choices of that pack. But yeah, FotM meta is all powerpowerpower.

Even from a PvP perspective... Like, okay I'm not gong to pretend SB is good in PvP, but it gets a lot of hate when it shouldn't. The problem more rests in the Renegade trait line and Kalla skill set than with Shortbow. SB4/5 are actually somewhat defensive-hybrid skills that you would notice a lot more if Kalla and Ren gave you literally anything else useful for PvP. As a quick thought experiment, imagine if you could play Shortbow with Shiro/Glint--suddenly it doesn't seem like such a complete deathtrap waste of a weapon. It wouldn't be a meta choice, but it gets way too much scapegoating thrown at it. They could rework SB a million different ways and it wouldn't make Renegade usable in this game mode.

@Greenlink.4538 said:Hello everyone,

Currently i picked a Revenant as a new class to play, As a elite option i picked the short bow which seemed really cool! and i have been enjoying it so far. However since i am new to the game i got some build questions and i couldn't find a build with duel sword and short sword on Metabattle. Could anyone tell me if there is a build somewhere which uses revenant renegade with duel sword and short bow?!

Thanks in advance!

Renegade is a lot of fun but there are elements that need work. Shortbow could be a stronger weapon. It does need some mobility. I think you can do fine with Renegade in PvE but you have to pick one or the other. You either need to go all in with sword/sword and that means you should pick up the staff weapon or you need to go all in with shortbow and that means you should switch to mace/axe. You could maybe get away with sword/axe as there are traits you can pick that help make main-hand sword work well for a condition build, such as Abysall Chill. I see this a lot with new players, they like specific weapons even when they conflict with each other. It sucks to see a weapon set up as really awesome but the truth of the matter is that some weapons are simply better for some things and some pairings simply make your job harder. In this case, it is best if you just pick one awesome weapon that you really like to use and then make use of swap weapon that compliments your awesome pick. I wish this wasn't the case for Revenant, as some professions have a wider range of awesome pairings, but that's the reality we live in.

You can go sword/sword and shortbow but you have to know upfront and be willing to accept that you will be weaker for it. If you are ok with that then have at it. If you want to improve your performance though, then you need to pick a theme and go all in. If you are doing solo open world content then you shouldn't have much issue mixing the two. If you want to do raid and dungeons it is in your best interest to either go sword/sword/staff or mace/axe/shortbow. Mixing the two can lead to you getting kicked from groups. The sad truth is that PUGs are not very forgiving when it comes to personalized choices.

This also means that you are basically going to need to tinker and create your own build. The builds that get posted online are focused on optimal pairings, on things that work well together. You are unlikely to find builds that create pairings that don't compliment each other. I'd recommend picking a build that you like and then modify it from there until you get a set up working for you to use sword/sword and shortbow. If you don't feel comfortable with modifying or making your own builds then, as recommended, pick one theme and go all in with it. It will also be easier for you to find gear that supports one or the other as hybrid gear is not always easy to come by and often requires you to engage in crafting or spending time in WvW/PvP earning stateless armor pieces so that you can pick the traits you want to mix.

@narcx.3570 said:

Even from a PvP perspective... Like, okay I'm not gong to pretend SB is good in PvP, but it gets a lot of hate when it shouldn't. The problem more rests in the Renegade trait line and Kalla skill set than with Shortbow. SB4/5 are actually somewhat defensive-hybrid skills that you would notice a lot more if Kalla and Ren gave you literally anything else useful for PvP. As a quick thought experiment, imagine if you could play Shortbow with Shiro/Glint--suddenly it doesn't seem like such a complete deathtrap waste of a weapon. It wouldn't be a meta choice, but it gets way too much scapegoating thrown at it. They could rework SB a million different ways and it wouldn't make Renegade usable in this game mode.

...From a PvP perspective the Renegade is literaly the worst choice from the 9 core classes and 18 specs available in the entire game. Even reaching legendary with it would literally mean nothing but a superb player playing a subpar build (because numbers in tournaments tells the truth: no one uses Renegade in conformed teams).

But yes, you can do fine in PvE content with Renegade, albeit the spec is nothing but a few buffs in numbers over the regular condi Revenant, with minor changes in gameplay. Yes, I despise this spec, which I (maybe wrongly) perceive as a low effort imput for PoF from the development team for a class which already felt rushed at HoT.

I've been playing Boon Support Healer - Renegade in Fractals for about 3 weeks now. Here my take on it. I didn't want to play it at first. You have to constantly switch back and forth between stances every time they are off cool down. And managing your energy can be awkward at the start because it takes time to get the "feel" for it. If you have a party that is not frantic and can somewhat stay together it is a pretty good experience but if the party is constantly scattering and doing their own thing then you start to feel a bit useless. On the bright side you are able to provide some nice coverage with your tablet using Protective Solace which can make some encounters and instabilities rather trivial. When a Firebrand who is also playing the support role and providing quickness its as close as you can get to the old Druid Chrono combo that everyone loved. In my opinion playing Renegade is like a fine wine it gets better with time.

• 2 weeks later...

@NeoHirotatsu.9057 said:

@Greenlink.4538 said:Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance!

Dont get the wrong idea about the renegade. It is currently the strongest condi build in PvE on a stationary target. JayAction refers to PvP content where renegade is sadly a pushover with its huge tells that lets everyone and their mother evade whatever spell you tried to pull off. If all you want to play is open world, fractals, dungeons and raids, feel free to play your renegade.

As you mentioned, renegade is the strongest condi DPS in PvE on STATIONARY targets, especially on HUGE hitbox, but in open world, fotm not so many foes are totally stationary, even bosses will jump around, and most of them are small hitbox, which also is renegade's weak side, from what I read, renegade only shine in raid environment. And it seems that not so many players like group a condi renegade in fotm? I'm not sure though.

But because those points I mentioned, I have to force myself give up my revenent, which made me really sad...Even the publish diviner stat for PvE couldn't change this situation. Unless you don't use LFG finding groups.

Why give it up? My renegade tears through open world mobs/group events/champions faster than my power reaper or my DH, due to more AoE, and more consistent DPS (DH has excellent burst, but its personal dps falls off significantly without access to alacrity) The only time a condi renegade feels subpar is when facing things that are immune to conditions (destructible structures in core tyria) or bosses with a lot of phase transitions which prevent the renegade from getting its dps rolling.I played condi renegade in T4s for a long time, and no one ever complained. Though due to fractal bosses being small hitboxes (generally) and having lots of phases, it certainly wasn't optimal.

Archived