Blocking players won't hide you

@zealex.9410 said:

@Biff.5312 said:This has been discussed before. I still don't see any problem with the way it works now. What do you care if someone can read what you post in chat? The block feature means you don't have to read what they have to say when you've decided you don't want to hear it. It works fine.

@"Naeleen.7601" said:I don't mean any disrespect, but when I read "I'd feel safer if blocking system worked properly", all I can say is this: Are you
really
here to chill and play a game to escape the problems of real life? Why do you even
need
to block other players? I keep my block list empty, if someone is a worthless person to you, why would you be irked by their words and actions? Leave them unblocked and ignore them, it'll hurt them more if they receive no attention.And a small tip: You can filter the chat channels as well, be in a party with your friends and create a new chat channel that only shows party (and perhaps guild) channels. No /whispers, no /say, no /map channel, no /emotes will be visible to you. Whoever seeks to annoy you, should only make you laugh at their time wasted on such ill-mannered efforts.

See my previous post, there are severe limitations. It doesn't matter whether its real life or in game, harassment is wrong and should not be tolerated.

Its true you can't control other people actions in real life but this is a game. Games have rules, harassment is against the rules ArenaNet made. Therefore those rules have penalties. If ArenaNet was okay with harassment those penalties would not exist.

You you can, if someone is stalking you and or harrasing you you can always turn to the police and the stalker will risk facing severe punishment if they keep it up.

In gw2 nothing is done to such ppl.

You completely misread my post and using a standard copy/paste answer as a catch all.

@reapex.8546 said:

@Biff.5312 said:This has been discussed before. I still don't see any problem with the way it works now. What do you care if someone can read what you post in chat? The block feature means you don't have to read what they have to say when you've decided you don't want to hear it. It works fine.

@"Naeleen.7601" said:I don't mean any disrespect, but when I read "I'd feel safer if blocking system worked properly", all I can say is this: Are you
really
here to chill and play a game to escape the problems of real life? Why do you even
need
to block other players? I keep my block list empty, if someone is a worthless person to you, why would you be irked by their words and actions? Leave them unblocked and ignore them, it'll hurt them more if they receive no attention.And a small tip: You can filter the chat channels as well, be in a party with your friends and create a new chat channel that only shows party (and perhaps guild) channels. No /whispers, no /say, no /map channel, no /emotes will be visible to you. Whoever seeks to annoy you, should only make you laugh at their time wasted on such ill-mannered efforts.

See my previous post, there are severe limitations. It doesn't matter whether its real life or in game, harassment is wrong and should not be tolerated.

Its true you can't control other people actions in real life but this is a game. Games have rules, harassment is against the rules ArenaNet made. Therefore those rules have penalties. If ArenaNet was okay with harassment those penalties would not exist.

You you can, if someone is stalking you and or harrasing you you can always turn to the police and the stalker will risk facing severe punishment if they keep it up.

You completely misread my post and using a standard copy/paste answer as a catch all.

What? I was refering to the irl part of your comment, i wasnt trying to attack your main arguement which seems to be the ingame side of things.

@Hashberry.4510 said:Ehh its a public, social game. Learn to deal with it.

Theres a diff between growing a thick skin and not having fan because others go out of their way to undermine your enjoyment.

If someone wants to be a dick in my book the have the freedom to be but others should have the ability to not have to deal with them.

Like in many other platforms and games. Its not a mater of the game being social because blocking a stalker or a toxic person does not make the game asocial.

If someone is harassing you even though you have them blocked you need to gather as much evidence as you can. Screenshot or screen record what they do. Document every instance with dates and times. Report them with in-game tools every time as well. And then make a help ticket and report them through the help ticket including every screenshot, video, and specific times you reported them. Just like in real life you need to take evidence to the people with the power.

The more evidence you have, the more likely the person is going to be punished. If they keep doing it after they got punished don't give up and just keep reporting them with all the evidence you have, including the evidence of having reported them before. The more they keep at it the harsher their punishments should get.

There is people who block others for pretty much no reason at all. If blocking was made too severe then it would harm people who got blocked by one of the block-happy crowd by locking them out of things just because someone else happens to be there.

There is people who will find someone they don't like and endlessly harass them as much as they can. And while blocking does need some improvements (like not showing your location, it should just show you as offline and not in any maps to anyone you have blocked), harassing people is ultimately something that needs reported and punished, not just hidden away behind a block.

If blocking stopped people from joining a squad and hid your location. If they tried to join for a meta or something and found themselves unable to join the squad, they would then know you are there. And would it be a first come first serve basis? What if you wanted to get into a TT map and the person you have blocked is in the taxi. Would you be able to join the squad? Would it kick them out? Or would you also be blocked from joining any squad they are already in? What about squad merging? What happens if you are in separate squads and someone tries to merge them together?

@zealex.9410 said:

really
need

What? I was refering to the irl part of your comment, i wasnt trying to attack your main arguement which seems to be the ingame side of things.

Ah okay, in reference to always turning to the Police. You can but that doesn't mean they'll always be able to find the perpetrator and stop the person from harassing. But this is off topic. So, going back on topic now xD.

@"Alphonse Constant.2394" said:As the title says, if you block players for whatever reason, they can:

• see your online status,
  • see what area you are currently in,

Wait, what now? Okay, I think this whole thread might've drifted away from the originial topic by now? I don't know about that. But what I do know, is that blocked players, cannot see you online nor know your location unless they've friended you or are literally right next to your toon in Divinity's Reach. There is a blocked list, yes, but there isn't a "These-people-have-me-blocked" list, right? Unless, I completely misunderstood the OP, here, which I probably did.Oh and this might've already been discussed, sorry 'bout that, I merely skimmed through the thread.

@Cat Warrior.9240 said:

@"Alphonse Constant.2394" said:As the title says, if you block players for whatever reason, they can:

Wait, what now? Okay, I think this whole thread might've drifted away from the originial topic by now? I don't know about that. But what I
do
know, is that blocked players,
cannot
see you online nor know your location
unless
they've friended you or are literally right next to your toon in Divinity's Reach. There is a blocked list, yes, but there isn't a "These-people-have-me-blocked" list, right? Unless, I completely misunderstood the OP, here, which I probably did.Oh and this might've already been discussed, sorry 'bout that, I merely skimmed through the thread.

As long as a player knows your account or character name, they can "friend" you whether you've blocked them or not.

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:

Wait, what now? Okay, I think this whole thread might've drifted away from the originial topic by now? I don't know about that. But what I
do
cannot
unless
they've friended you or are literally right next to your toon in Divinity's Reach. There is a blocked list, yes, but there isn't a "These-people-have-me-blocked" list, right? Unless, I completely misunderstood the OP, here, which I probably did.Oh and this might've already been discussed, sorry 'bout that, I merely skimmed through the thread.

As long as a player knows your account or character name, they can "friend" you whether you've blocked them or not.

Hurm. That's what I thought. It's just that the OP worded their statements quite- strange? What I gathered from their statement, was that as soon as someone blocks another, the blocked would be able to see the blocker's location and status just like the friends list. Which isn't true, unless the blocked has the blocker on their friends list. Which was my point.

@Cat Warrior.9240 said:

do
cannot
unless

Hurm. That's what I thought. It's just that the OP worded their statements quite- strange? What I gathered from their statement, was that as soon as someone blocks another, the blocked would be able to see the blocker's location and status just like the friends list. Which isn't true,
unless
the blocked has the blocker on their friends list. Which was my point.

She is referring to targeted harassment, as in, the person knows you and has you on their friends list and can still see all your info despite you blocking them.

@Lottie.5370 said:

do
cannot
unless

Hurm. That's what I thought. It's just that the OP worded their statements quite- strange? What I gathered from their statement, was that as soon as someone blocks another, the blocked would be able to see the blocker's location and status just like the friends list. Which isn't true,
unless
the blocked has the blocker on their friends list. Which was my point.

She is referring to targeted harassment, as in, the person knows you and has you on their friends list and can still see all your info despite you blocking them.

Ah, well, there ya go.... I totally missed the point, then, like I thought I would've XD. That makes a lot more sense, thanks for clearin' it up.

• 1 month later...

do
cannot
unless

People can get your account name???? So they know all your characters simply by seeing one and putting you on some list without your knowledge or consent????

I'm a new player (less than a month) so please forgive my ignorance. I found this thread after much searching because I'm so unclear as to how this works, and I can't find anything on wiki that explains the mechanics of in-game privacy, etc., and because I ran into a situation where an obnoxious player started telling me I did something to some chubby cat or something (and standing with his asura nose in my norn crotch), and was angry about it and nattering on about nonsense. I tried to tell him that he must have me confused with someone else but to no avail so I logged off.

So not a big deal in the grand scheme of things & so far I've not seen or heard from this person again, but it did get me to thinking about the whole privacy issue and I'd like to know if this is true that you have no choice in this game for someone to put you on a friend list or a follow list (first I've heard about a follow list).

So how does it work, or where can I find info on it? Can random people I don't know just get my account name and then know all my characters if they decide they want to be a nuisance? Not that this person did or will, but down the road if someone decides they don't like you for some reason or think you're someone else, they just have the freedom to stalk?

I must say the things I've been reading about this issue I'm finding a bit alarming and tbh it could influence whether or not I will stick with this game since privacy is a very big issue for me personally. I know there's a lot of people who feel it's no big deal, but imo, personal privacy and choice should trump all other considerations and the reasons should be irrelevant regardless of whether it's a case of true harassment or simply a matter of annoyance.

@Tyranni.9780 said:

do
cannot
unless

People can get your account name???? So they know all your characters simply by seeing one and putting you on some list without your knowledge or consent????

I'm a new player (less than a month) so please forgive my ignorance. I found this thread after much searching because I'm so unclear as to how this works, and I can't find anything on wiki that explains the mechanics of in-game privacy, etc., and because I ran into a situation where an obnoxious player started telling me I did something to some chubby cat or something (and standing with his asura nose in my norn crotch), and was angry about it and nattering on about nonsense. I tried to tell him that he must have me confused with someone else but to no avail so I logged off.

So not a big deal in the grand scheme of things & so far I've not seen or heard from this person again, but it did get me to thinking about the whole privacy issue and I'd like to know if this is true that you have no choice in this game for someone to put you on a friend list or a follow list (first I've heard about a follow list).

So how does it work, or where can I find info on it? Can random people I don't know just get my account name and then know all my characters if they decide they want to be a nuisance? Not that this person did or will, but down the road if someone decides they don't like you for some reason or think you're someone else, they just have the freedom to stalk?

I must say the things I've been reading about this issue I'm finding a bit alarming and tbh it could influence whether or not I will stick with this game since privacy is a very big issue for me personally. I know there's a lot of people who feel it's no big deal, but imo, personal privacy and choice should trump all other considerations and the reasons should be irrelevant regardless of whether it's a case of true harassment or simply a matter of annoyance.

No one can see your Account Name (email address associated with your game account).Everyone can see your Display Name (the name.xxxx with which you are posting in the forums) and can add to their Friends list; just as you can add anyone to your Friends list.The 'Followers' list is people who have added you to their Friends list that you have not added to your Friends list.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

do
cannot
unless

No one can see your Account Name (email address associated with your game account).Everyone can see your Display Name (the name.xxxx with which you are posting in the forums) and can add to their Friends list; just as you can add anyone to
your
Friends list.The 'Followers' list is people who have added you to their Friends list that you have not added to your Friends list.

I could be wrong but it sounds like you're talking about the forums. I was talking about in-game. The comment that I quoted in my original post appeared to be talking about in-game. So, in-game, can someone get your account name and/or put you on a friend or follow list and it affects all your characters on the account and they can therefore "follow" all your characters?

@Tyranni.9780 said:

do
cannot
unless

No one can see your Account Name (email address associated with your game account).Everyone can see your Display Name (the name.xxxx with which you are posting in the forums) and can add to their Friends list; just as you can add anyone to
your
Friends list.The 'Followers' list is people who have added you to their Friends list that you have not added to your Friends list.

I could be wrong but it sounds like you're talking about the forums. I was talking about in-game. The comment that I quoted in my original post appeared to be talking about in-game. So, in-game, can someone get your account name and/or put you on a friend or follow list and it affects all your characters on the account and they can therefore "follow" all your characters?

Apologies. Yes, I meant one's handle (e.g. IndigoSundown.5419), not one's email. I can see why that would be confusing.

Say someone sees you in game, or sees your character name in chat. They choose to "friend" you. Then, on their friend's list, they can mouse over and see your handle, which applies regardless of which character you are currently on. Unless you chose "Invisible" in the Contacts UI (at the top, the pull down menu by your handle), they would be able to see what map you are on.

do
cannot
unless

your

Apologies. Yes, I meant one's handle (e.g. IndigoSundown.5419), not one's email. I can see why that would be confusing.

Say someone sees you in game, or sees your character name in chat. They choose to "friend" you. Then, on their friend's list, they can mouse over and see your handle, which applies regardless of which character you are currently on. Unless you chose "Invisible" in the Contacts UI (at the top, the pull down menu by your handle), they would be able to see what map you are on.

I see. Thanks for the answer. I have to say I'm not liking it. Guess I have some thinking to do.

@Tyranni.9780 said:

do
cannot
unless

your

I see. Thanks for the answer. I have to say I'm not liking it. Guess I have some thinking to do.

In almost 7 years, I have not had a problem. I suspect that is the case for most players, but I have no doubts that some players will abuse any feature in a game.

do
cannot
unless

your

In almost 7 years, I have not had a problem. I suspect that is the case for most players, but I have no doubts that some players will abuse any feature in a game.

I don't doubt that you're right, but for me it all gets back to the issue of it being without your knowledge or consent. That's just wrong on so many levels, imo.

As a for instance, with the situation I mentioned in my original post above, let's say this person turned out to be some weirdo who wanted to stalk (he hasn't, just using as an example), the game allows this person to not only stalk one character but all characters, and I have no control over it. It allows them to know who all my characters are, even if I make a new one, and my forum name as well. Am I understanding this correctly?

@melandru.3876 said:also, lucky for us we have different map ip's right, ever wanted to join a meta, and you are in the wrong version of the map?ahhh now the very-determined stalker has to guess where you areHe doesn't have to. Remember, that the game tries to place you on the same map as people in your friend list. And the stalker will have you on the friend list.

Seriously, the friend/block system in this game is really crude, and could use a lot of improvement.

And as for people that argue against it - is there even a single reason why you would want those changes to not be in the game (as opposed to simply thinking you don't need them)? Because i see absolutely no reason like that at all.

@"reapex.8546" said:Just wanted to add this, today a person that our commander blocked 2+ years ago, kept spam joining our group. Various people kicked them from squad, they wanted to stop people from joining our LFG posting. They were LITERALLY kicked 100 times, they have been reported several times over the past 1 - 2 years. They persist. If LFG would not allow someone that the commander block to join this could have been solved easily. Or if LFG was made to hide our posting, this also could have been resolved quickly. Instead we have to deal with this:mviYNJC.png

How does GW2 handle things when a truly toxic player won't stop harassing others? Normally, they would get suspended for 6 months but since this has been going on for over a year with this one individual, I don't know...I no longer know how ArenaNet is handling people like this.

This is actually disgusting.

ANet, please fix this before adding in the next random gemstore doodad. Yes, I'm sure you guys rarely LFG because you have 300+ co-workers who all play/develop the same game, but please have some empathy for normal players.

@Tyranni.9780 said:

do
cannot
unless

Can random people I don't know just get my account name and then know all my characters if they decide they want to be a nuisance? Not that this person did or will, but down the road if someone decides they don't like you for some reason or think you're someone else, they just have the freedom to stalk?

To answer your question. Yes, random people can get your in-game account name. By that I meant blah.1234, not your e-mail address. Then observe their friends list when you switch characters, so they can get those names too. They have the freedom to see your character name and what map you're on.

@Tyranni.9780 said:

do
cannot
unless

your

I don't doubt that you're right, but for me it all gets back to the issue of it being without your knowledge or consent. That's just wrong on so many levels, imo.

As a for instance, with the situation I mentioned in my original post above, let's say this person turned out to be some weirdo who wanted to stalk (he hasn't, just using as an example), the game allows this person to not only stalk one character but all characters, and I have no control over it. It allows them to know who all my characters are, even if I make a new one, and my forum name as well. Am I understanding this correctly?

Think my previous post answer this but in general let's say:Kitten #1 decides they don't like you. They add you to friends. They check their friendlist periodically, they can see what map you're on and what character you're currently using. They won't be able to see all of your characters, unless they stalk you for a extended length of time waiting for you to character swap. Since, Kitten #1 know your account name (you can see that via your friendslit) then they know your forum name as well.

@gateless gate.8406 said:

@"reapex.8546" said:Just wanted to add this, today a person that our commander blocked 2+ years ago, kept spam joining our group. Various people kicked them from squad, they wanted to stop people from joining our LFG posting. They were LITERALLY kicked 100 times, they have been reported several times over the past 1 - 2 years. They persist. If LFG would not allow someone that the commander block to join this could have been solved easily. Or if LFG was made to hide our posting, this also could have been resolved quickly. Instead we have to deal with this:
mviYNJC.png

How does GW2 handle things when a truly toxic player won't stop harassing others? Normally, they would get suspended for 6 months but since this has been going on for over a year with this one individual, I don't know...I no longer know how ArenaNet is handling people like this.

ANet, please fix this before adding in the next random gemstore doodad. Yes, I'm sure you guys rarely LFG because you have 300+ co-workers who all play/develop the same game, but please have some empathy for normal players.

Thank you for responding, many people did not respond to that post I made.ArenaNet told me they're investigating them, the person decided to do it again and I updated ArenaNet. The individual stop bothering us for months, then one week ago they started again. So, I had to re-open my ticket to ArenaNet.

About the Gemstore:ArenaNet has a different team to handle the gemstore, they are independent from the rest of the game.

@reapex.8546 said:

@reapex.8546 said:Just wanted to add this, today a person that our commander blocked 2+ years ago, kept spam joining our group. Various people kicked them from squad, they wanted to stop people from joining our LFG posting. They were LITERALLY kicked 100 times, they have been reported several times over the past 1 - 2 years. They persist. If LFG would not allow someone that the commander block to join this could have been solved easily. Or if LFG was made to hide our posting, this also could have been resolved quickly. Instead we have to deal with this:
mviYNJC.png

Thank you for responding, many people did not respond to that post I made.ArenaNet told me they're investigating them, the person decided to do it again and I updated ArenaNet. The individual stop bothering us for months, then one week ago they started again. So, I had to re-open my ticket to ArenaNet.

About the Gemstore:ArenaNet has a different team to handle the gemstore, they are independent from the rest of the game.

I feel for you, I had the same thing happen to me recently (though not quite as extreme). This isn't the first game that has ignored the unique problems faced by pug groups.