The Griffon is a bit silly to look at

jokke.6239

I've been doing HP runs the past few days, and looking at a griffon train with all those griffons struggling to fly is a bit strange. Why don't they just fly?This is not a thread asking for flying mounts, that would do more harm than good to the game. But I wish we had some lore reason behind why they can't fly, why they are limited to only bash their wings every now and then. I don't know what that would be, I have not a good imagination, therefor not a writer.If that's not going to happen, I wouldn't mind if they made Griffons work as Gliders, they already have advantages over a normal glider.The Griffons would look more normal if they were only seen in the sky, and not jumping up and down looking like a clown parade when all those griffons are in a crowded train.Also it would make the springer more useful again (and other core mounts rly) after you get your griffon, couldn't help notice how little I use the springer after I got my griffon, allthough there a still places you have to use springer.

@Ashen.2907 said:They are carrying more weight than they normally would if flying wild in the desert.

A player, plus bags, armor, weapons, etc...its a wonder the poor things can walk at all let alone fly.

Well if that was the case you would think they could fly higher with an asura on the back :PAnd if we begin applying weight to bags, it's already amazing that our characters can walk around with 90 greatswords in their pocket xDBut that's videogame logic, the griffon however is more visually conflicting, to me at least.

@jokke.6239 said:I've been doing HP runs the past few days, and looking at a griffon train with all those griffons struggling to fly is a bit strange. Why don't they just fly?This is not a thread asking for flying mounts, that would do more harm than good to the game. But I wish we had some lore reason behind why they can't fly, why they are limited to only bash their wings every now and then. I don't know what that would be, I have not a good imagination, therefor not a writer.If that's not going to happen, I wouldn't mind if they made Griffons work as Gliders, they already have advantages over a normal glider.The Griffons would look more normal if they were only seen in the sky, and not jumping up and down looking like a clown parade when all those griffons are in a crowded train.Also it would make the springer more useful again (and other core mounts rly) after you get your griffon, couldn't help notice how little I use the springer after I got my griffon, allthough there a still places you have to use springer.

I'm not a physicist but I think it's normal physics at play. A bird in flight will gradually fall to the ground unless they expend energy to flap their wings and gain lift. (Birds also act like gliders and can catch updrafts.) Griffons are strong, heavy and large, so I imagine their descent and rise with wing flaps would be more pronounced.

Kinda Like this: flight2.png

I always assumed that they couldn't fly well because their body is not exactly ideal for flying, let alone with a fully armed person on their back. Then again, I think lorewise they should be able to fly (didn't the sunspears use them as combat mounts).

Like @Chickenooble.5014 said it might just very well be that it has to do with Tyrias rather unusual and localized wind patterns (or lack thereof), seeing how updrafts work in Tyria, as well as the fact that they are not exactly birds when it comes to size and shape (logically when they have a rider they should be extremely unbalanced with most of the weight on the bottom end of their body, if anything I am surprised they are able to fly at all... those wings got to really have some serious muscles flapping them).

If anything you should be starting by asking why can't they use updrafts.

Look at Griffin enemy mobs and compare: they too do not really show off any amazing flight capabilities. At most they'll take flight a very short distance into the air only to come swooping down almost instantly afterwards. Simply put, the Griffons in the GW2 universe aren't very capable fliers apparently.

So I think it it is completely fine.

@Oglaf.1074 said:Simply put, the Griffons in the GW2 universe aren't very capable fliers apparently.

Just have to point out this though, for creatures that don't fly well they sure do manage to lay their eggs in some really tricky places. Also, according to GW wiki(s) they should be able to fly (apparently that is a reason why Ogres like them as pets).

@Oglaf.1074 said:Look at Griffin enemy mobs and compare: they too do not really show off any amazing flight capabilities. At most they'll take flight a very short distance into the air only to come swooping down almost instantly afterwards. Simply put, the Griffons in the GW2 universe aren't very capable fliers apparently.

I'm not saying that wiki is any kind of proof of this, as it isn't, but as Crise says, wiki states that they are indeed good at flying."Griffons are often one of the favored hunts of the norn, due to their strength and abilities of flight, as well as a favored pet among the ogres."https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/GriffonAnd since they have nests high up in the mountains they kind of have to be able to fly great heights.

@jokke.6239 said:

@Oglaf.1074 said:Look at Griffin enemy mobs and compare: they too do not really show off any amazing flight capabilities. At most they'll take flight a very short distance into the air only to come swooping down almost instantly afterwards. Simply put, the Griffons in the GW2 universe aren't very capable fliers apparently.

I'm not saying that wiki is any kind of proof of this, as it isn't, but as Crise says, wiki states that they are indeed good at flying."Griffons are often one of the favored hunts of the norn, due to their strength and abilities of flight, as well as a favored pet among the ogres."
And since they have nests high up in the mountains they kind of have to be able to fly great heights.

"Abilities of flight," doesnt mean that they are good fliers, compared to other flying creatures, just that they can fly to some extent. To a non flying species, such as norn, even limited flight is noteworthy.

I cannot recall any incidents in the open world where griffons demonstrate any extended flight capability. Add carrying extra weight and it shouldnt be surprising that they struggle.

Archived