[merged] About the Skyscale Timegate...

@"DiogoSilva.7089" said:Time-gating mechanics force players to rush through content. You either rush as fast as possible in order to not waste many days, or your play leisurely and get punished for not being able to get your mount in 2-3 weeks.

• Only have time to play in the weekends? Say hi to the new mount next month.
  • Want to explore the map, enjoy the meta first, and then work hard to get the mount? You'll get punished for it.
  • Are you so incredibly excited for the mount that you want to priotize it over everything else? Hope you enjoy the exciting ticking clock mini-game!
  • Do you feel bad for playing the new map while still not unlocking your masteries? Do you feel bad that you're wasting your exp gain? Nothing you can do. Just wait and wait and wait until your excitement wears off.

That can't make any sense. Time gated content literally BLOCKS players from rushing. Nothing stops you from playing leisurely .. except your own perception that time gated makes you HAVE to play. you don't. That's a player problem.

@Deihnyx.6318 said:

@Deihnyx.6318 said:Another thread is now complaining about the collections itself.

See why some people are only seeing the need for instant gratification in all these complains? This mentality completely ruined so many games, and it's never enough.I miss GW1.

Literally nothing in GW1 was this ridiculous.

Did you get god walking amongst mere mortals? Do you remember what it took to get the few extra skins for gw2 ?Do you remember the black moa collection? Or how tedious some stuff was to complete the hall of monuments?

Many things in GW1 required hard and tedious work and steady progressing, which is also true for Skyscale. However, GW1 didn't have any additional time gates, as far as I can remember, making the progress far more unnecessarily time consuming. GW1 allowed steady progress according how the player could invest time in it. Which is not true for Skyscale, nor GW2 in general, unfortunately. GW2 has way too much unnecessary time gates to things that are already hard, expensive or tedious to get.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@"DiogoSilva.7089" said:Time-gating mechanics
force
players to rush through content. You either rush as fast as possible in order to not waste many days, or your play leisurely and get punished for not being able to get your mount in 2-3 weeks.
  • Only have time to play in the weekends? Say hi to the new mount next month.
  • Want to explore the map, enjoy the meta first, and then work hard to get the mount? You'll get punished for it.
  • Are you so incredibly excited for the mount that you want to priotize it over everything else? Hope you enjoy the exciting ticking clock mini-game!
  • Do you feel bad for playing the new map while still not unlocking your masteries? Do you feel bad that you're wasting your exp gain? Nothing you can do. Just wait and wait and wait until your excitement wears off.

That can't make any sense. Time gated content literally BLOCKS players from rushing. Nothing stops you from playing leisurely .. except your own perception that time gated makes you HAVE to play. you don't. That's a player problem.

Because of the timegate, I am forced to rush and start working on it now, usually I do pve stuff on the weekends, and that was my plan, because I have more time and for my timezone I can play at a different time to during the week so there's more people to play with. During the week, many metas fail during my normal timezone and I like to do wvw with the limited time I have. All the time that I can put in on the weekend means nothing because the timegate will stop me from progressing when I have the most time to work on it.

Why do I need to rush it? 1. Because this new locked mastery now blocks all xp and shard gain on pof maps, I'm now losing resources if I don't do it. Hiding the mastery would fix the problem and allow me to play at my own pace. 2. Because the time when I could commit to working on it, I will be blocked and unable to progress, stretching it out to multiple weeks to unlock.

We already know it's going to be more than 5 daily resets (saying days is misleading) because of timegates within timegates.. who knows how many more there are in the steps no one has seen yet?

@Obtena.7952 said:

Not when you have to complete it by a deadline if you want to progress in a timely matter. Sure, I could split a collection up amongst three days, but if I do, I won't be able to unlock the next part until day 4. Again, some people have limited time to play, so they can't put in the time they need to make good progress.

I'll put it this way. Say someone only has the weekend off to work on the mount collections. They have 5 hours on both Saturday and Sunday to do so. They spend all 5 hours on Saturday working on the mount, but they miss the daily reset by an hour. Since they didn't have it done by the reset, they now have to wait until the same time tomorrow to do the same. On Sunday, they have to be off doing something else by the time the daily reset rolls around, meaning that even though they have 5 whole hours prior to the reset to work on the collections, they literally can't, because they didn't rush hard enough on the first day. So yes, we do get punished for not playing in a way.

One part of the collection has a sub collection that requires you to feed your Skyscale, it has 12 icons, and says it can only be fed three times a day. And this is just scratching the surface. So is the real timegate going to be closer to a month with the full collection?

I think anet should come forward and tell us how many more time gates are in this collection and what the minimum number of required daily resets are. This is not a fun thing to explore and discover.

I guess war eternal was referring to the never ending time gates.

Wow it's really strange for me to see people defend the mechanic that decide for you when you need to play and how you need to play. Are you coming here from mobile games? I want to decide for myself how I need to spend my time and It's only my decision how to go through content.Things like those collections is nothing but disrespect to my time. I never had those problems with GW2 and I never expected them. This is a really disappointing decision.P.S. And the collection is getting worse by the day. Now we have 3 more days. Or even 22 (if I am not mistaken) If you are not lucky to have some charged crystals or money to spend.

@Victime.5413 said:Wow it's really strange for me to see people defend the mechanic that decide for you when you need to play and how you need to play. Are you coming here from mobile games? I want to decide for myself how I need to spend my time and It's only my decision how to go through content.Things like those collections is nothing but disrespect to my time. I never had those problems with GW2 and I never expected them. This is a really disappointing decision.P.S. And the collection is getting worse by the day. Now we have 3 more days. Or even 22 (if I am not mistaken) If you are not lucky to have some charged crystals or money to spend.

Exactly, it's a mobile game mechanic. Maybe this is the result of the the devs from those projects being brought over to here.

@Ashantara.8731 said:By the time this gets decided, we will already have our mount. ;)

No, we won’t. At least one of the sub collections will take around half a month it would seem. I fully expect at this point for the collections and sub collections and sub sub sub collections and their corresponding daily cooldowns to make this take at least a month.

@Obtena.7952 said:

Why does that matter? A mount that is time gated is no different than any other time gated content. Other time gated items also have specific functions too. These attempts to differentiate mounts as 'special' do not change the fact that time gated things are not new to GW2.

Timegatted mounts are NEW and mounts are unique. It matters because unlike a timegatted backpiece , which you can just get a different one, there only one way of getting this. If there was a different way to get the mount from this, them it would be completely fine. People like you that enjoy being blocked from content and not being permitted to play the game at your own pace, could still do the collection, while the rest could just get it right now and have fun with it while completing the map and leveling masteries.

Really it makes no sense arguing in favor of time gate, if you wanna drag this collection for 2 years, you can do that already, people that were expecting the mount to be actually released 2 days ago can't use it yet. Is it really that difficult for you to understand how other people don't enjoy the same thing as you do ? I think this is something people should learn early in life.

Arenanet, you might as well just start putting any new mounts here on out in the cash shop the way ESO does so you can at least get some revenue for your work if people want something as special as this to be instant gratification.The community is getting a new, shiny mount for FREE because all we have to do is log in to get the episode and all we have to do is actually play the game to get it. At least show some respect to the devs and actually play the game? I mean this isn't the griffon, you can actually stay in the air with this mount. Anyone notice that the endurance bar fills when you descend and you can fly back up (I think a lot of you didn't notice that judging from the yes votes)? I spent at least 45 minutes in the air messing around with that alone and never touched the ground in Dragonfall! Getting this mount means that I can easily avoid nearly everything in Tyria/HoT/PoF because there are few to no aerial threats to speak of in game. It makes sense that a mount like this can and should be time-gated, to make it worth the effort of getting it. So no, there is nothing wrong with this being time-gated as I can easily see this becoming a WvW/PvP nightmare and hearing the complaints on that end the moment it does start appearing.

@Magnus Godrik.5841 said:Yeah im sure you all are hurting in the spirit shard area. This is even pointless to even say.

How is it pointless? I, for example, have not had completed areas where I have been able to get spirit shards for that long (HoT still not completed) so I haven't been stockpiling them for years and years as some people have.

It might not hurt all of us, but it does actually hurt some.

@Rain.7543 said:

As for the rest I dont personally mind time gated achievements and collections. If those collections werent time gated people would already have the mount and begin posting topics, about how they have run out of things to do. Anet cant please everyone either way. If you don't like the way it is done, then don't do it. You are free to not like how it was implemented, but for god sake, dont post topics to complain, about something you get completely free. Its redicilous.

As I stated I don't mind timegating stuff or collections (currently having a blast with the Henge I'll have completed tomorrow) I just don't see the reason behind timegating the experience towards spirit shards for the entire PoF and LS4 together with the mount. I didn't understand why they would do something that especially punishes newer players or players that have struggled with their Mastery completion and/or not had it for very long. It also makes the mount kind of mandatory content if you own the episode and want the shards in the future. (The Henge for example is fun, but doing it is a proper choice you make, it doesn't feel mandatory to spend all that time.)

The forums is where you discuss things though and I wanted a discussion about this, and hopefully someone that could explain the choice of implementing it this way would maybe come around. And the forums is also the best place to make your voice heard I suppose. I tried to do it with a proper text for actual discussion though, making sure it wasn't 100% complaining and toxicity as some things can be.

@miraude.2107 said:Arenanet, you might as well just start putting any new mounts here on out in the cash shop the way ESO does so you can at least get some revenue for your work if people want something as special as this to be instant gratification.The community is getting a new, shiny mount for FREE because all we have to do is log in to get the episode and all we have to do is actually play the game to get it. At least show some respect to the devs and actually play the game? I mean this isn't the griffon, you can actually stay in the air with this mount. Anyone notice that the endurance bar fills when you descend and you can fly back up (I think a lot of you didn't notice that judging from the yes votes)? I spent at least 45 minutes in the air messing around with that alone and never touched the ground in Dragonfall! Getting this mount means that I can easily avoid nearly everything in Tyria/HoT/PoF because there are few to no aerial threats to speak of in game. It makes sense that a mount like this can and should be time-gated, to make it worth the effort of getting it. So no, there is nothing wrong with this being time-gated as I can easily see this becoming a WvW/PvP nightmare and hearing the complaints on that end the moment it does start appearing.

There are some plenty of aerial threats in pof and hot. And the mount doesn’t go that high up or travel that far before you have to descend. Have you even tried the mount or are you just being blindly argumentative and condescending?

sighSo, with other mounts all we had to do was a single heart vendor. Then the Griffon came along and cost 250 gold. But Anet apparently thought that wasn't tough enough. So now we have to go to 21 places in Dragonfall, then do 30 events, then go to 14 more locations in Dragonfall, then go to 21 MORE locations in Dragonfall, then wait for the server reset, then go to Sun's Refuge to get ~60 MORE places to go throughout the world (this is where I now am ). And now I also find out there's stuff I haven't even gotten to that requires time-gating?

Seriously Anet?

I'm really beginning to wonder if this is worth the hassle. Seriously, it's great looking, but not really that impressive. The jackal and griffon will still be my primary mounts even if I do decide to follow through with the tedium. I don't mind working for something I plan to use a lot (like a legendary weapon), but, honestly, I don't see a lot of practical use for this mount in other zones.

My 2 cents, because I came to forums specifically knowing there was going to be a lot of outrage at this timegating thing.

Seriously, ANET, bad move. There is absolutely no reason to timegate this crap, yet there you go pulling some Blizzard BS. Company always trying to arbitrarily extend the time of crap--for what? Usually I'm constantly in playing a lot of hours. But now if I'm not specifically working on this crap SS I will not log into your game. Don't even want to think of the mental gymnastics your developers perform to come to a conclusion that people will look at the timegate aspect of this collection and go "oh, ANET you guys sure are the best. This is SOOOOO fun." Having a sense of urgency hanging over your head to complete tasks before a reset so you don't get stuck waiting extra days to complete. Timegating mechanics do the opposite of promote taking your time because you can't do at your leisure if you hit arbitrary wait walls. You can take this new episode and shove it. Detest this crap you developers pull.

Maybe one day you game developers will actually be able to imagine good content without restricting players from actually playing that content.TL;DR this SS collection might have been fun. Timegating just leaves a sour taste.

@RizelStar.3724 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

@Gop.8713 said:It's like they want us to play the game or something . . .

well theyre gonna get a lot less gameplay by forcing people to wait for something. some people are like "im just gonna do the daily for this then go play something else" when they COULD just have the skyscale already and start working on gaining its masteries and learning how to use it. there are already so many daily things in game. dont make major new content time gated on top of the new content already having time gated events

Perhaps I don't understand the problem. What advantage is gained through delay . . ?

You kind of went against “No” with that question.

Because that is why this timegate is a problem, there is nothing positive with the timegate. Timegates forcing people to play the game achieve nothing [positive] because it’s not people playing because they want to, it’s people now logging in ignoring map chat unless it pertains to collections if we are talking about the people who don’t want to play that is.

It also adds annoyances to people who have a lot going on in rl(such as myself). Because it’s artificial progression and life to the game. Nothing really organic about it, and options are limited.

People who are saying no, let’s be honest do you even care for timegate? Be honest don’t bull jive me. Do you really like timegated stuff now keep I mind I know you feel like it doesn’t affect you, so the question is why do you legitimately believe they should keep it, if it doesn’t matter to you(maybe it’s one of your desires which would be shocking)?

x-post. If my above reply doesn't answer your questions pls do ask again . . .

Alright bet...
Reads your reply

So I'm going to ask you...again, be honest with me, do you even care about the inclusion of this timegate?Not as much as some other ppl seem to. I'm primarily concerned with trying to understand why ppl are so fussed about it . . .If you want to piggyback on your response, I'll give you this question does this improve the game or not?Yes . . .For fun here is a 3rd question if you want to again piggyback on your response, if it wasn't there in the first place, would you have cared?No, but I would have been just as interested in whatever other aspect of the release had ppl up in arms instead . . .Also let me chime in on what you said to the people you quoted you said you see no negatives. The timegate is what keeps you doing other things as you say, right? That's probably one the reasons it exist, right? Now I tend to ask a lot of questions because I like to learn, so is the timegate making you do that or you're doing that yourself? If it wasn't there would you play that way?Either you misunderstood what I said or I am misunderstanding your response. The time gate
allows
me to do other things. I'm the sort of player who never has time to do all of the things I want to do in the game, despite the fact that I play it like it's a full time job. I do enjoy new content but at the same time new releases annoy me bc it's just one more thing on my list of things to do. So the fact that there is a cap on how much progress I can make each day is nice bc I can go do other things instead . . .

I think what you may be asking is what would prevent me from simply choosing on my own to play that way even if there was no time gate. The answer ofc is nothing, but it wouldn't be the best idea. While there is no content that still exists in the game which has become impossible to complete over time, there is a lot of content that was a lot easier to do back when it was initially released. So I have learned over time to try to get the shiny stuff out of the way as quickly as possible before I go back to my regularly scheduled content . . .

To be honest I don't believe that gamers like to be [forced] into doing something if they don't want to do it.Well it's still just a game, nobody is forcing anyone to do anything but yes, it is nice that the time gate removes some of the pressure to finish the content quickly . . .You said a lot of people would have the mount next week right, which keeps begging the point of there being a 5 day(if lucky) timegate. The negative is that it has no purpose other than to have people wait. It lacks sense, so people who like to play how they play can't, for me I wasn't expecting the mount at all on day one, funny enough I expected depending on the collection it'd take a few days(now longer because of daily reset). The difference is I'd have control over it, I wouldn't be so focused on making sure I get the achievement done before reset. If at this points you don't see a negative, then well ha ah that's fine by me. Oh almost forgot it's not the fact it's hindering you, it's the fact that it hinders others. "So why should you care?" Well Shrugs

The fact that there are ppl who don't like it isn't really an argument bc you will always be able to find ppl who don't like something. But the rest of this section doesn't make sense to me. You're saying you feel 'forced' by the time gate to complete today's tasks, but if there was no time gate you wouldn't feel 'forced' to complete all of the tasks as quickly as possible? What's the difference . . ?Last thing, if still dead set on saying "No" it's cool, there is nothing I or anybody else can do to show why a Timegate like this is pointless, that comes down to you at this point. I type this to provide insight and learn, but I know this is the forums, this is the internet, not much can be done, if it helps, I'm wrong and you're right. So cheers!If you feel we have exhausted all of the arguments against the time gate, then yes, it is refreshing to know it is causing no harm :)

@Wyvern.7951 said:Who green lit this massive slog of a collection.....

Is this thing supposed to be a legendary mount?

I really really hate to complain, but my goodness. Please Anet.

Honestly my big issue isn't the collections. It's that they're time-gated so damn badly. If there weren't a time-gate, I'd understand why there's so much to do. But all of this PLUS the time-gate? It seems way too excessive for a dang mount.

@Gop.8713 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

@Gop.8713 said:It's like they want us to play the game or something . . .

well theyre gonna get a lot less gameplay by forcing people to wait for something. some people are like "im just gonna do the daily for this then go play something else" when they COULD just have the skyscale already and start working on gaining its masteries and learning how to use it. there are already so many daily things in game. dont make major new content time gated on top of the new content already having time gated events

Perhaps I don't understand the problem. What advantage is gained through delay . . ?

You kind of went against “No” with that question.

Because that is why this timegate is a problem, there is nothing positive with the timegate. Timegates forcing people to play the game achieve nothing [positive] because it’s not people playing because they want to, it’s people now logging in ignoring map chat unless it pertains to collections if we are talking about the people who don’t want to play that is.

It also adds annoyances to people who have a lot going on in rl(such as myself). Because it’s artificial progression and life to the game. Nothing really organic about it, and options are limited.

People who are saying no, let’s be honest do you even care for timegate? Be honest don’t bull jive me. Do you really like timegated stuff now keep I mind I know you feel like it doesn’t affect you, so the question is why do you legitimately believe they should keep it, if it doesn’t matter to you(maybe it’s one of your desires which would be shocking)?

x-post. If my above reply doesn't answer your questions pls do ask again . . .

Alright bet...
Reads your reply

So I'm going to ask you...again, be honest with me, do you even care about the inclusion of this timegate?Not as much as some other ppl seem to. I'm primarily concerned with trying to understand why ppl are so fussed about it . . .If you want to piggyback on your response, I'll give you this question does this improve the game or not?Yes . . .For fun here is a 3rd question if you want to again piggyback on your response, if it wasn't there in the first place, would you have cared?No, but I would have been just as interested in whatever other aspect of the release had ppl up in arms instead . . .Also let me chime in on what you said to the people you quoted you said you see no negatives. The timegate is what keeps you doing other things as you say, right? That's probably one the reasons it exist, right? Now I tend to ask a lot of questions because I like to learn, so is the timegate making you do that or you're doing that yourself? If it wasn't there would you play that way?Either you misunderstood what I said or I am misunderstanding your response. The time gate
allows
me to do other things. I'm the sort of player who never has time to do all of the things I want to do in the game, despite the fact that I play it like it's a full time job. I do enjoy new content but at the same time new releases annoy me bc it's just one more thing on my list of things to do. So the fact that there is a cap on how much progress I can make each day is nice bc I can go do other things instead . . .

I think what you may be asking is what would prevent me from simply choosing on my own to play that way even if there was no time gate. The answer ofc is nothing, but it wouldn't be the best idea. While there is no content that still exists in the game which has become impossible to complete over time, there is a lot of content that was a lot easier to do back when it was initially released. So I have learned over time to try to get the shiny stuff out of the way as quickly as possible before I go back to my regularly scheduled content . . .

To be honest I don't believe that gamers like to be [forced] into doing something if they don't want to do it.Well it's still just a game, nobody is forcing anyone to do anything but yes, it is nice that the time gate removes some of the pressure to finish the content quickly . . .You said a lot of people would have the mount next week right, which keeps begging the point of there being a 5 day(if lucky) timegate. The negative is that it has no purpose other than to have people wait. It lacks sense, so people who like to play how they play can't, for me I wasn't expecting the mount at all on day one, funny enough I expected depending on the collection it'd take a few days(now longer because of daily reset). The difference is I'd have control over it, I wouldn't be so focused on making sure I get the achievement done before reset. If at this points you don't see a negative, then well ha ah that's fine by me. Oh almost forgot it's not the fact it's hindering you, it's the fact that it hinders others. "So why should you care?" Well
Shrugs

The fact that there are ppl who don't like it isn't really an argument bc you will always be able to find ppl who don't like something. But the rest of this section doesn't make sense to me. You're saying you feel 'forced' by the time gate to complete today's tasks, but if there was no time gate you wouldn't feel 'forced' to complete all of the tasks as quickly as possible? What's the difference . . ?Last thing, if still dead set on saying "No" it's cool, there is nothing I or anybody else can do to show why a Timegate like this is pointless, that comes down to you at this point. I type this to provide insight and learn, but I know this is the forums, this is the internet, not much can be done, if it helps, I'm wrong and you're right. So cheers!If you feel we have exhausted all of the arguments against the time gate, then yes, it is refreshing to know it is causing no harm :)

...You are right and I am wrong. :)