[merged] About the Skyscale Timegate...

@Ototo.3214 said:

@Ototo.3214 said:I'm fine with doing collections. I'm fine with the collections taking 30+ hours. But let me do it at my own pace. I hate feeling like I have to rush to finish the kitten thing each day and can't stop to just...play fractals with friends or anything like that because if I don't finish it before reset, I have to wait another 24 hours before I can do anything. It's unneeded stress and frustration for a collection I'd otherwise really enjoy.

But you don't, because you can't rush time gated content. If you feel like that, that's a player problem.

You see, the big problem I have here is that no one complains they are stressed when content ISN'T time gated but they should be because it does get harder to do group content when it isn't

... but when your forced by the game to progress content in steps over time .. THAT is stressful? That doesn't make sense.

I think you are taking his words too literallyI think he means like me for example i did nothing till the reset yesterday and rushed to complete the egg magic gathering collection so that that i wouldnt have to worry about not finishing it before reset it took about 4 hours doing it with a group.

After that i was done didn't do dailies, fractals, or play dragonfall at all i was pretty much done.Based on what im hearing for the next step ill be feeding a skyscale 3 times then today I might do fractals if they are any i particularly like after which ill going to prob stop and play another game.

If there are going to be more time gates within time gates the ESO new chapter early access is looking more and more lovely by the day. At which point i could be playing that and logging into gw2 just to feed a train a pet thats not a pet 3 times a day.

Ideally we are still rushing content because no one wants to wait an extra day if they dont have to. And because the mount is the main focus for so many people it easily pushes other forms of content to the side.

The decision to rush is a player issue and I doesn't make sense to make an argument based on it. All content gets rushed by people to some degree, but for some reason when it's time gated, rushing it all the sudden a big problem for you? That doesn't make sense.

Just be honest here ... you just want the mount without artificial restrictions imposed on you. Feeling like you have to rush content is not a compelling argument to not have time gates.

Except the time gate is causing people to rush the collections within that given day. Many of my friends started the collection for the mount and were taking their time because they didn't think it had some stupid time gate to it. Then when they found out it was gated, they started rushing it.

So what? That's still a player perception issue.

What was that that they said were their core philosophies for GW2 in that recent update on what was to come for the game? Wait, player autonomy and fun content were listed? That can't be right. That really screws with player expectations.

That doesn't change what i said ... rushing can't be a problem for time-gated content if it's not a problem for non-time gated content. Content is still fun (and is subjective anyways) and players still have options to experience it ... as far as I can see, those philosophies still stand.

The difference is that with non time gated content you are rushing at your own pace because you enjoy doing so.If you are getting close to reset and you know you are losing a day if you don't rush to finish the collection because you will get stuck on working on it very early on when trying to work on it the next day, in which case you feel forced to rush and burn yourself out to finish those parts up, which makes rushing a problem, due to the time gate.

So it's not about the rush ... because you don't mind doing it at your own pace. So the real problem here is not about rushing content.

Except it is, because I and many others wouldn't rush that hard it it weren't for the time gate, or be bummed out about missing the reset because they were busy enjoying the map and story instead of working on the collection already, just to then realise that progression is gated when wanting to work on it the next day.Is this really that hard to understand, or do you simply refuse to do so?

Oh c'mon.. at least be a little more honest about your issue here.I mean there is no genuine reason to feel forced into rushing just cos you missed a reset... if your RL schedule is such that you only have those few minutes each day to get the skyscale bit done then there is little ANET can do to help.No sorry, the real reason you are causing a fuss about this is because you want to rush it to completion ASAP.... and then what, what will you be doing when you have it completed - logoff until next content update (hardly great for ANET from a business perspective) OR will you go about playing out all the other content options you have at your fingertips especially new map and new content (if so what is stopping you doing while your waiting for the next skyscale content to become available??)No sorry the " ANET force me to rush cos reset" is just a very poor attempt to smokescreen the "I want it, I want it NAOW" mentality, nothing more.

Actually no. It's quite clear some people have difficulty with reading comprehension here. Sure, some might want to rush to completion but some of us would like to feel like we can stop and start whenever we want. The main issue is the time gate on top of numerous bloated collections that take hours to complete. The collections themselves aren't the problem, it's perfectly fine to have a collection be big like this. But to make it so you can't start the next collection until a reset happens? And if you failed to finish the previous before the reset you now have to wait 24 hours again? I'd like to be able to work on it, take a break to go do something else, then come back to it and not feel like I screwed myself over because I finished the collection 10 minutes after reset and now have to wait another day. It's entirely pointless to have the time gate, especially when you've hyped it up and claim it'll drop on the patch day, May 14th, when in actuality...who fckin knows when we'll actually be able to have one. Most people probably still won't have one by the time the guild chat for it even happens on the 24th. Casual players or those with busy schedules should be able to log on, work on the collections for the time they have, the come back to it when they finally have time again without feeling like they're losing out. It punishes those people more than the people that have nothing to do but play GW2 all day.

I actually have no issue with the charged quartz crystal time gate alone, haven't gotten to it yet but it sounds like you just feed them and move on. Sucks to have to wait another day but at least it doesn't eat 6+ hours of what little play time I get and I can actually like...go do something else. But it stacked on top of each collection having it's own daily reset time gate makes it unbearable.

Nope sorry not buying that excuse.Your available time in game is not ANET's problem. Other player may have the same issues just at different times of day. If you miss a reset so what, the skyscale will still be there and your not being disadvantaged in anyway that is just simply rubbish. Time gates are utilised for a reason but saying you have to login, rush to get stuff done before reset is just "it's not fair I want it naow" nothing more

Thanks for not actually reading what I said. Try again. If you think this is about instant gratification it really isn't. I even said I was fine with one of the kitten time gates, the one that could potentially take someone 22 days to get through.

And just because something had a reason to be used does not mean it's good. Pretty sure we know the reason: to artificially extend content. Doesn't make it good game design and if it clearly upsets a large portion of the player base for more than just "I want it nao" it should at least be addressed by Anet.

They listened to the incessant waves of WvWer moaning and groaning over the broken Warclaw that had poor design initially, why should this be any different.

Of course time gates are used to extend the game time it is relevant .. but that comes with several different reasons in itself.. more players logging in to do the collections has the potential to yield gem sales. More players logging in to complete collections might reduce or at least present some stability in player retention. The second reason has a double edged sword of course much like the Jahai Bluffs starved sigil supplies.. player can get to a point and say "nope fed up with this", but hopefully ANET have weighed that up beforehand.As for upsetting a "large" portion of the game, I am yet to see any figures to say that, only the usual forum posters that seem to pop up to cry foul every update about something (Forums traditionally account for <1% of a games actual pop so small sample size and all that.As for Warclaw, not sure what ANET actually did in respect of poor design.. some clipping, a bug fix to allow the collection achievs to be completed and plugging a minor exploit on how from the vendor, but aside from that it went better than I ever envisaged, in fact I was dead against the Warclaw fullstop, but I am not afraid to admit I have been pleasantly surprised with it implementation.

@LucianDK.8615 said:

@tekhiun.8653 said:Anyone defending this failed system atm is just trolling. Ignore them. Anet already acknowledge they have made a mistake and are working on a fix. If they want to stand for mistakes and bad systems that's on them.

And what mistakes are they fixing? where did you see it?

Nothing concrete but it has been stated they are looking into what can be done.

@Stephane Lo Presti.7258 said:Hi everyone,

I wanted to provide a brief update after talking to various developers. We’re aware of the concerns expressed in this thread. The team is currently regrouping and we’re aiming to communicate more about this topic as soon as we possibly can.

Thank you for your understanding and patience.

@LucianDK.8615 said:

@"tekhiun.8653" said:Anyone defending this failed system atm is just trolling. Ignore them. Anet already acknowledge they have made a mistake and are working on a fix. If they want to stand for mistakes and bad systems that's on them.

If you bother to read the comments, you will see that Anet already said they would fix the mastery problem and that they are looking on how to fix the mess they made in a permanent manner. I will copy paste here so you there isn't any chance you will pretend to not have seen it if you reply:

"Hi everyone,

I wanted to provide a brief update after talking to various developers. We’re aware of the concerns expressed in this thread. The team is currently regrouping and we’re aiming to communicate more about this topic as soon as we possibly can.

In the meantime, we're pushing a hotfix that will include hiding the skyscale Mastery line for players who have not acquired the skyscale so that they will continue to gain Mastery experience toward acquiring Spirit Shards.

We're also working on another hotfix coming later that will alleviate issues with finishing the Skyscale of Ice achievement in Frostgorge Sound by making the Corrupted Ice Elementals near the Claw of Jormag event respawn regularly. These creatures can encase you in ice and progress the Skyscale of Ice achievement. This is a temporary fix until we can get something more permanent.

Thank you for your understanding and patience."

So yes anyone arguing for something that Anet admits is a mistake and is trying to fix at this point is just a concern troll and should just be ignored.

To clarify the Mastery Experience / Soul Shard issue was fixed yesterday after the Daily Reset. This is no longer an issue.

The only thing we are currently worried about now is the time constraints that are affecting long-term & short-term players alike.

@tekhiun.8653 said:

@tekhiun.8653 said:Anyone defending this failed system atm is just trolling. Ignore them. Anet already acknowledge they have made a mistake and are working on a fix. If they want to stand for mistakes and bad systems that's on them.

If you bother to read the comments, you will see that Anet already said they would fix the mastery problem and that they are looking on how to fix the mess they made in a permanent manner. I will copy paste here so you there isn't any chance you will pretend to not have seen it if you reply:

"Hi everyone,

In the meantime, we're pushing a hotfix that will include hiding the skyscale Mastery line for players who have not acquired the skyscale so that they will continue to gain Mastery experience toward acquiring Spirit Shards.

We're also working on another hotfix coming later that will alleviate issues with finishing the Skyscale of Ice achievement in Frostgorge Sound by making the Corrupted Ice Elementals near the Claw of Jormag event respawn regularly. These creatures can encase you in ice and progress the Skyscale of Ice achievement. This is a temporary fix until we can get something more permanent.

So yes anyone arguing for something that Anet admits is a mistake and is trying to fix at this point is just a concern troll and should just be ignored.

The post you quoted doesn't say anywhere that they're going to fix the timegate and mount movement issues. Maybe they will, but that post only talks about the Ice Egg (not really a problem since you don't need CoJ already), spirit shards and communication.

Sorry dude, read more carefully.

@Kidel.2057 said:

"Hi everyone,

The post you quoted doesn't say anywhere that they're going to fix the timegate and mount movement issues. Maybe they will, but that post only talks about the Ice Egg (not really a problem since you don't need CoJ already), spirit shards and communication.

yep, he read too much into it. And indeed, the mastery issue is fixed.

@Kidel.2057 said:

"Hi everyone,

Sorry, but you should read more carefully, they are talking about a more permanent fix, they don't say it's only about those mistakes.

Why not make it easier to obtain the skyscale? Wouldn't you want everyone to have a skyscale then sell a shit ton of skins??? I dont understand why Anet doesn't want me to have a flying mount. I Have a fulltime job and family obligations. I guess ill be grounded with my roller beetle until the end of gw2.

@tekhiun.8653 said:

"Hi everyone,

Sorry, but you should read more carefully, they are talking about a more permanent fix, they don't say it's only about those mistakes.

The part about the temporary fix refers to the CoJ achievement (again, not even an issue, just that people can't read the tooltip). You are reading too much into it my friend.

We're also working on another hotfix coming later that will alleviate issues with finishing the Skyscale of Ice achievement in Frostgorge Sound by making the Corrupted Ice Elementals near the Claw of Jormag event respawn regularly. [...] This is a temporary fix until we can get something more permanent.

I hope you are right in general, but this post doesn't say anything useful

@Kidel.2057 said:

"Hi everyone,

The part about the temporary fix refers to the CoJ achievement (again, not even an issue, just that people can't read the tooltip). You are reading too much into it my friend.

We're also working on another hotfix coming later that will alleviate issues with finishing the Skyscale of Ice achievement in Frostgorge Sound by making the Corrupted Ice Elementals near the Claw of Jormag event respawn regularly. [...] This is a temporary fix until we can get something more permanent.

They did not mention they are only going to fix these two mistakes in a more permanent manner, they said they are looking for a more permanent way to fix period. These two are temporary yeah, so it's it's not a logical jump to conclude thata more permanent fix means changing more of what they have made. If they were smart they would start by giving the mount to people that finished the first step , cleaning up this step so we don't have to come back 2 or 3 times to the same spot, and make the rest of the collection about a skin , title or even ascended gear and lore.

@Kidel.2057 said:

"Hi everyone,

You're both are fixated on that particular paragraph. It's the first one you should be questioning, "We’re aware of the concerns expressed in this thread. The team is currently regrouping and we’re aiming to communicate more about this topic as soon as we possibly can."

@Loosmaster.8263 said:

"Hi everyone,

You're both are fixated on that particular paragraph. It's the first one you should be questioning,
"We’re aware of the concerns expressed in this thread. The team is currently regrouping and we’re aiming to communicate more about this topic as soon as we possibly can."

Read again: "and we’re aiming to communicate more about this topic"I see nothing about an upcoming fix. Again, not saying they won't do it, but this post is saying another thing

@tekhiun.8653 said:Anyone defending this failed system atm is just trolling. Ignore them. Anet already acknowledge they have made a mistake and are working on a fix. If they want to stand for mistakes and bad systems that's on them.Oh hey twitter logic, long time no see.They have fixed the only real issue which is mastery xp.

@"ixora.3569" said:Why not make it easier to obtain the skyscale? Wouldn't you want everyone to have a skyscale then sell a kitten ton of skins??? I dont understand why Anet doesn't want me to have a flying mount. I Have a fulltime job and family obligations. I guess ill be grounded with my roller beetle until the end of gw2.Because there are actually people who enjoy having to play the game and get content over time as that's what a video game is meant to be, rather than just insta buying everything for instant gratification.If anything, what you're saying shows that their intention was not only to make more money. They wanted to provide an experience, which - some people here might find odd - is actually a great experience for many players in game.All the comments about "being forced to" or having "work for" or not being "able to get it as quickly as" are simply forgetting that nobody is forcing them at all. It's all optional, just like any skin, legendary or whatnot in this game. If you miss a reset, you'll only get it one day later than everybody else. If you can only play a few days a week, you'll only get it a few weeks later. If you're that busy you would still have needed days to complete all collections, so people without a life would still have gotten it before you.It's a change from the classic "microtransaction / gold gets you everything instantly".

@tekhiun.8653 said:

"Hi everyone,

They did not mention they are only going to fix these two mistakes in a more permanent manner, they said they are looking for a more permanent way to fix period. These two are temporary yeah, so it's it's not a logical jump to conclude thata more permanent fix means changing more of what they have made. If they were smart they would start by giving the mount to people that finished the first step , cleaning up this step so we don't have to come back 2 or 3 times to the same spot, and make the rest of the collection about a skin , title or even ascended gear and lore.

What are you even talking about?The only fix they mentioned is the CoJ one, there is no other temporary fix. The mastery one is permanent (and was a minor mistake). The post says nothing about timegates, collections or mount abilities.It only talks about communication, mastery exp and CoJ.

Everything else is your personal assumption with 0 evidence.

And edit:I do not agree at all with your fix suggestion. I like the collection to be long and difficult. I only dislike the timegate being about day reset instead of in-game time. And the mount has to be useful in proportion to this collection, not a glorified throne requiring a tp skin to be useful.

Raising a dragon, good idea. This time gate, very very bad idea.Is Anet gonna fix it or address this?? Hell no, considering they basically closed other forum posts to shut us in this one forum page that is gonnakeep on stacking and choose too ignore it.

@Deihnyx.6318 said:

@tekhiun.8653 said:Anyone defending this failed system atm is just trolling. Ignore them. Anet already acknowledge they have made a mistake and are working on a fix. If they want to stand for mistakes and bad systems that's on them.Oh hey twitter logic, long time no see.They have fixed the only real issue which is mastery xp.

@"ixora.3569" said:Why not make it easier to obtain the skyscale? Wouldn't you want everyone to have a skyscale then sell a kitten ton of skins??? I dont understand why Anet doesn't want me to have a flying mount. I Have a fulltime job and family obligations. I guess ill be grounded with my roller beetle until the end of gw2.Because there are actually people who enjoy having to play the game and get content over time as that's what a video game is meant to be, rather than just insta buying everything for instant gratification.If anything, what you're saying shows that their intention was not only to make more money. They wanted to provide an experience, which - some people here might find odd - is actually a great experience for many players in game.All the comments about "being forced to" or having "work for" or not being "able to get it as quickly as" are simply forgetting that nobody is forcing them at all. It's all optional, just like any skin, legendary or whatnot in this game. If you miss a reset, you'll only get it one day later than everybody else. If you can only play a few days a week, you'll only get it a few weeks later. If you're that busy you would still have needed days to complete all collections, so people without a life would still have gotten it before you.It's a change from the classic "microtransaction / gold gets you everything instantly".

People can take as much time they want, without any time gate at all, you know that right ? Anyway they can remove the time gate for the mount and put on something else like as well if you really need and like time gated content. Also if you bothered to actually read what they said you would see that they say it's a temporally fix.

The temporary fix is only about the ice tornados in CoJ event (that are going to be a pain in the ass for people that are not working for that achievement, so the permanent fix will probably involve a change in the achievement itself step or a change in the tooltip for that particular step).

"Better communication" is not a fix and hiding the mastery to allow spirit shards to be farmed is a permanent fix, not temporary.

@GerahWar.5023 said:Raising a dragon, good idea. This time gate, very very bad idea.Is Anet gonna fix it or address this?? Hell no, considering they basically closed other forum posts to shut us in this one forum page that is gonnakeep on stacking and choose too ignore it.

If they do like they've always done, I'm pretty sure they're reading almost every post. And I feel bad for them, considering the average level :)

@"Kidel.2057" said:The temporary fix is only about the ice tornados in CoJ event (that are going to be a pain in the kitten for people that are not working for that achievement, so the permanent fix will probably involve a change in the achievement itself step or a change in the tooltip for that particular step).

"Better communication" is not a fix and hiding the mastery to allow spirit shards to be farmed is a permanent fix, not temporary.

I dont think you realize theres another and easier way for that one. Simply hug one of the abundant ice storm mobs in bitterfrost. Voila, icecubed and ticking for it.

@LucianDK.8615 said:

@"Kidel.2057" said:The temporary fix is only about the ice tornados in CoJ event (that are going to be a pain in the kitten for people that are not working for that achievement, so the permanent fix will probably involve a change in the achievement itself step or a change in the tooltip for that particular step).

I dont think you realize theres another and easier way for that one. Simply hug one of the abundant ice storm mobs in bitterfrost. Voila, icecubed and ticking for it.

I know. That's why I said multiple times that it's a useless fix and they should just change the tooltip (that is also fine, but people can't read).

I'm well aware and way past that step thanks to bitterfrost and the ability to read the first 3 words of the tooltip. It took me 10 seconds and I was shocked that people were screaming in pain during CoJ

@tekhiun.8653 said:

People can take as much time they want, without any time gate at all, you know that right ? Anyway they can remove the time gate for the mount and put on something else like as well if you really need and like time gated content. Also if you bothered to actually read what they said you would see that they say it's a temporally fix.

The temporary fix is for CoJ, like a few people told you. I have no idea what you're talking about but you should consider your own advice.

People can take as much time they want with the timegate as well. It doesn't remove that ability. It only prevents you from rushing through it in one day. Timegates have been in this game since the very beginning. WvW has a weekly timegate that can be really stressful too. Raids as well. Players who have actually been playing the game consistently are used to it and know why it's in place.

The mount is LS4 end content, Aurora was LS3 end content. They have similar mechanics to obtain them. No, one being a legendary accessory or the other being a mount doesn't constitute an argument. That it appeals to the casual crowd more doesn't mean the casual crowd should suddenly change the rules just to get their sugar faster.You can absolutely not like the way it is if you want, but there is nothing to "fix" because it is not "broken".

@LucianDK.8615 said:

You can also just jot to bitterfrost and have one of teh whirlwinds encase you in ice - they'll find you.