[merged] About the Skyscale Timegate...

@Ototo.3214 said:

@Ototo.3214 said:I'm fine with doing collections. I'm fine with the collections taking 30+ hours. But let me do it at my own pace. I hate feeling like I have to rush to finish the kitten thing each day and can't stop to just...play fractals with friends or anything like that because if I don't finish it before reset, I have to wait another 24 hours before I can do anything. It's unneeded stress and frustration for a collection I'd otherwise really enjoy.

But you don't, because you can't rush time gated content. If you feel like that, that's a player problem.

You see, the big problem I have here is that no one complains they are stressed when content ISN'T time gated but they should be because it does get harder to do group content when it isn't

... but when your forced by the game to progress content in steps over time .. THAT is stressful? That doesn't make sense.

I think you are taking his words too literallyI think he means like me for example i did nothing till the reset yesterday and rushed to complete the egg magic gathering collection so that that i wouldnt have to worry about not finishing it before reset it took about 4 hours doing it with a group.

After that i was done didn't do dailies, fractals, or play dragonfall at all i was pretty much done.Based on what im hearing for the next step ill be feeding a skyscale 3 times then today I might do fractals if they are any i particularly like after which ill going to prob stop and play another game.

If there are going to be more time gates within time gates the ESO new chapter early access is looking more and more lovely by the day. At which point i could be playing that and logging into gw2 just to feed a train a pet thats not a pet 3 times a day.

Ideally we are still rushing content because no one wants to wait an extra day if they dont have to. And because the mount is the main focus for so many people it easily pushes other forms of content to the side.

The decision to rush is a player issue and I doesn't make sense to make an argument based on it. All content gets rushed by people to some degree, but for some reason when it's time gated, rushing it all the sudden a big problem for you? That doesn't make sense.

Just be honest here ... you just want the mount without artificial restrictions imposed on you. Feeling like you have to rush content is not a compelling argument to not have time gates.

Except the time gate is causing people to rush the collections within that given day. Many of my friends started the collection for the mount and were taking their time because they didn't think it had some stupid time gate to it. Then when they found out it was gated, they started rushing it.

So what? That's still a player perception issue.

What was that that they said were their core philosophies for GW2 in that recent update on what was to come for the game? Wait, player autonomy and fun content were listed? That can't be right. That really screws with player expectations.

That doesn't change what i said ... rushing can't be a problem for time-gated content if it's not a problem for non-time gated content. Content is still fun (and is subjective anyways) and players still have options to experience it ... as far as I can see, those philosophies still stand.

The difference is that with non time gated content you are rushing at your own pace because you enjoy doing so.If you are getting close to reset and you know you are losing a day if you don't rush to finish the collection because you will get stuck on working on it very early on when trying to work on it the next day, in which case you feel forced to rush and burn yourself out to finish those parts up, which makes rushing a problem, due to the time gate.

So it's not about the rush ... because you don't mind doing it at your own pace. So the real problem here is not about rushing content.

Except it is, because I and many others wouldn't rush that hard it it weren't for the time gate, or be bummed out about missing the reset because they were busy enjoying the map and story instead of working on the collection already, just to then realise that progression is gated when wanting to work on it the next day.Is this really that hard to understand, or do you simply refuse to do so?

Oh c'mon.. at least be a little more honest about your issue here.I mean there is no genuine reason to feel forced into rushing just cos you missed a reset... if your RL schedule is such that you only have those few minutes each day to get the skyscale bit done then there is little ANET can do to help.No sorry, the real reason you are causing a fuss about this is because you want to rush it to completion ASAP.... and then what, what will you be doing when you have it completed - logoff until next content update (hardly great for ANET from a business perspective) OR will you go about playing out all the other content options you have at your fingertips especially new map and new content (if so what is stopping you doing while your waiting for the next skyscale content to become available??)No sorry the " ANET force me to rush cos reset" is just a very poor attempt to smokescreen the "I want it, I want it NAOW" mentality, nothing more.

Actually no. It's quite clear some people have difficulty with reading comprehension here. Sure, some might want to rush to completion but some of us would like to feel like we can stop and start whenever we want. The main issue is the time gate on top of numerous bloated collections that take hours to complete. The collections themselves aren't the problem, it's perfectly fine to have a collection be big like this. But to make it so you can't start the next collection until a reset happens? And if you failed to finish the previous before the reset you now have to wait 24 hours again? I'd like to be able to work on it, take a break to go do something else, then come back to it and not feel like I screwed myself over because I finished the collection 10 minutes after reset and now have to wait another day. It's entirely pointless to have the time gate, especially when you've hyped it up and claim it'll drop on the patch day, May 14th, when in actuality...who fckin knows when we'll actually be able to have one. Most people probably still won't have one by the time the guild chat for it even happens on the 24th. Casual players or those with busy schedules should be able to log on, work on the collections for the time they have, the come back to it when they finally have time again without feeling like they're losing out. It punishes those people more than the people that have nothing to do but play GW2 all day.

I actually have no issue with the charged quartz crystal time gate alone, haven't gotten to it yet but it sounds like you just feed them and move on. Sucks to have to wait another day but at least it doesn't eat 6+ hours of what little play time I get and I can actually like...go do something else. But it stacked on top of each collection having it's own daily reset time gate makes it unbearable.

Nope sorry not buying that excuse.Your available time in game is not ANET's problem. Other player may have the same issues just at different times of day. If you miss a reset so what, the skyscale will still be there and your not being disadvantaged in anyway that is just simply rubbish. Time gates are utilised for a reason but saying you have to login, rush to get stuff done before reset is just "it's not fair I want it naow" nothing more

@"bOTEB.1573" said:I see all of you are acting like the real problem is the time gate. When in fact the real problem is that you are upset of not getting the "toy" as fast as you want because you want it sooooo bad.There are time gates all over Tyria, let's remove all of them? After all you all said that time gating is bad design.If ANET remove this time gate, I want the WvW time gate to be removed too, the PvP too, the HoT meta events rewards too, the eaters too, the crafting too and anything else. After all, it is what you want, righ? Remove the time gate, coz it is a bad design, right guys?

There's no need for such an "in your face, deal with it" attitude. Nobody is belittling you, and you're not missing out on anything whether the timegate is forced upon you or not.

Have a little bit of respect for a different opinion other than your own.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@Ototo.3214 said:I'm fine with doing collections. I'm fine with the collections taking 30+ hours. But let me do it at my own pace. I hate feeling like I have to rush to finish the kitten thing each day and can't stop to just...play fractals with friends or anything like that because if I don't finish it before reset, I have to wait another 24 hours before I can do anything. It's unneeded stress and frustration for a collection I'd otherwise really enjoy.

But you don't, because you can't rush time gated content. If you feel like that, that's a player problem.

You see, the big problem I have here is that no one complains they are stressed when content ISN'T time gated but they should be because it does get harder to do group content when it isn't

... but when your forced by the game to progress content in steps over time .. THAT is stressful? That doesn't make sense.

I think you are taking his words too literallyI think he means like me for example i did nothing till the reset yesterday and rushed to complete the egg magic gathering collection so that that i wouldnt have to worry about not finishing it before reset it took about 4 hours doing it with a group.

After that i was done didn't do dailies, fractals, or play dragonfall at all i was pretty much done.Based on what im hearing for the next step ill be feeding a skyscale 3 times then today I might do fractals if they are any i particularly like after which ill going to prob stop and play another game.

If there are going to be more time gates within time gates the ESO new chapter early access is looking more and more lovely by the day. At which point i could be playing that and logging into gw2 just to feed a train a pet thats not a pet 3 times a day.

Ideally we are still rushing content because no one wants to wait an extra day if they dont have to. And because the mount is the main focus for so many people it easily pushes other forms of content to the side.

The decision to rush is a player issue and I doesn't make sense to make an argument based on it. All content gets rushed by people to some degree, but for some reason when it's time gated, rushing it all the sudden a big problem for you? That doesn't make sense.

Just be honest here ... you just want the mount without artificial restrictions imposed on you. Feeling like you have to rush content is not a compelling argument to not have time gates.

Except the time gate is causing people to rush the collections within that given day. Many of my friends started the collection for the mount and were taking their time because they didn't think it had some stupid time gate to it. Then when they found out it was gated, they started rushing it.

So what? That's still a player perception issue.

What was that that they said were their core philosophies for GW2 in that recent update on what was to come for the game? Wait, player autonomy and fun content were listed? That can't be right. That really screws with player expectations.

That doesn't change what i said ... rushing can't be a problem for time-gated content if it's not a problem for non-time gated content. Content is still fun (and is subjective anyways) and players still have options to experience it ... as far as I can see, those philosophies still stand.

The difference is that with non time gated content you are rushing at your own pace because you enjoy doing so.If you are getting close to reset and you know you are losing a day if you don't rush to finish the collection because you will get stuck on working on it very early on when trying to work on it the next day, in which case you feel forced to rush and burn yourself out to finish those parts up, which makes rushing a problem, due to the time gate.

So it's not about the rush ... because you don't mind doing it at your own pace. So the real problem here is not about rushing content.

Except it is, because I and many others wouldn't rush that hard it it weren't for the time gate, or be bummed out about missing the reset because they were busy enjoying the map and story instead of working on the collection already, just to then realise that progression is gated when wanting to work on it the next day.Is this really that hard to understand, or do you simply refuse to do so?

Oh c'mon.. at least be a little more honest about your issue here.I mean there is no genuine reason to feel forced into rushing just cos you missed a reset... if your RL schedule is such that you only have those few minutes each day to get the skyscale bit done then there is little ANET can do to help.No sorry, the real reason you are causing a fuss about this is because you want to rush it to completion ASAP.... and then what, what will you be doing when you have it completed - logoff until next content update (hardly great for ANET from a business perspective) OR will you go about playing out all the other content options you have at your fingertips especially new map and new content (if so what is stopping you doing while your waiting for the next skyscale content to become available??)No sorry the " ANET force me to rush cos reset" is just a very poor attempt to smokescreen the "I want it, I want it NAOW" mentality, nothing more.

Actually no. It's quite clear some people have difficulty with reading comprehension here. Sure, some might want to rush to completion but some of us would like to feel like we can stop and start whenever we want. The main issue is the time gate on top of numerous bloated collections that take hours to complete. The collections themselves aren't the problem, it's perfectly fine to have a collection be big like this. But to make it so you can't start the next collection until a reset happens? And if you failed to finish the previous before the reset you now have to wait 24 hours again? I'd like to be able to work on it, take a break to go do something else, then come back to it and not feel like I screwed myself over because I finished the collection 10 minutes after reset and now have to wait another day. It's entirely pointless to have the time gate, especially when you've hyped it up and claim it'll drop on the patch day, May 14th, when in actuality...who fckin knows when we'll actually be able to have one. Most people probably still won't have one by the time the guild chat for it even happens on the 24th. Casual players or those with busy schedules should be able to log on, work on the collections for the time they have, the come back to it when they finally have time again without feeling like they're losing out. It punishes those people more than the people that have nothing to do but play GW2 all day.

I actually have no issue with the charged quartz crystal time gate alone, haven't gotten to it yet but it sounds like you just feed them and move on. Sucks to have to wait another day but at least it doesn't eat 6+ hours of what little play time I get and I can actually like...go do something else. But it stacked on top of each collection having it's own daily reset time gate makes it unbearable.

Nope sorry not buying that excuse.Your available time in game is not ANET's problem. Other player may have the same issues just at different times of day. If you miss a reset so what, the skyscale will still be there and your not being disadvantaged in anyway that is just simply rubbish. Time gates are utilised for a reason but saying you have to login, rush to get stuff done before reset is just "it's not fair I want it naow" nothing more

Well said, its nothing but entitlement and impatience. You are not paying a subscription, so you can play at the pace you are able to and you will still eventually get it.

The older I get, the less patience I have for nonsense like time gating in a video game. I consider it pointless, annoying, and most of all, NOT FUN. Fun being the primary reason I play these games. What ever happened to "Our games aren’t about preparing to have fun, or about grinding for a future fun reward."

To be honest, I sincerely hope they keep at least some element of timegating. I think it's a useful tool to force people to slow down. I understand some people are behind the "I should get to play how I want", but all games have rules and restrictions across the board to allow for some amount of challenge. Perseverance and patience is a sort of challenge as well.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:The fact is that most of the complaints don't make sense, so you can repeat them 2 or 3 or even 4 hundred times ... that doesn't make them more sensible.

having to rush content is definitely one of those nonsensical complaints.

What if your ideals dont make sense and you are the one who is wrong here? Can we consider this a possibility?

This isn't about me being wrong or right ... or you or other players. It's about understanding why Anet uses time gating. No one here complaining has ONCE attempted to think of why it's being used. It's just assumed that it 'does nothing'. Go back to the drawing board. Clearly, it's doing something, otherwise people wouldn't be here.

Ok now we are getting some where Ding Ding!

THATS THE ISSUE!

WE CANT TELL YOU WHY ITS BEING USED BECAUSE IT SHOULDNT HAVE BEEN. THERE WAS NO GOOD REASON THAT WE CAN SEE FOR IT.

That doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Players not being able to understand Anet's motives is NOT a compelling reason for Anet to repeal time gated content.

Just some more thoughts ...

See here is the problem ... WHATEVER the reason is (we don't need to know it), you have to believe there is one, because it's more work for Anet to use time gating. If they didn't have a reason, why would time gate something if it's more work for them? I don't think they would, and it's pretty clear they use that approach sparingly. Therefore, ANY discussion you want to have about time gating that is based on the premise there is NO reason to use it is faulty, right out of the gate. It's not even worth engaging anyone in a discussion that believes there is NO reason to use time gating.

For fun ... HOW any anti-time gate posters do you think are using this platform to make their case? It's LOTS ... and they are all wrong.

ok cool you actually made a realistic rebuttal this time.I agree that the use of daily time gates is rare among anet , usually its locked to progress for specific things like legendary weapons, some ascended gear or currency used to buy or make such things.

In this case its a mount, even if there is a reason (of which we cannot understand) for it it does not mean that players are not allowed to be upset about it when its not the standard for unlocking mounts based on every other mount in the past even the hidden one (griffon). From our stand point a mount marketed as the one of the 3 or 4 main features of a new update or living world patch is generally obtainable fairly quickly. This has been the standard for pretty much every mount they have released for PoF and after PoF up till now. ITS WHAT PLAYERS ARE USE TO!

What ever the reason is, players do have a right to feel they have been wronged here because the mount was not marketed as a ascended or legendary item to obtain, it was marketed and teased in our faces with the idea of "Get yours today."

You certainly cannot tell people that they are wrong for feeling bamboozled when pretty much thats what anet did here even if that was not their true intention. IF they repeal the time gate is not up to us but we certainly should give feed back so that anet knows "dont do this without warning" and "dont do this when its not been the standard" because it generated nothing but mostly negative feedback on multiple platforms. Even if you dont agree with the majority for good reason you are sadly part of the minority here don't expect people to instantly agree with you even more so if you are just going "You are wrong, you should wait, it does not bother me so it should not bother you."

As i said before also I think many of us would shut up rather quickly if anet made a statement about their reasoning behind it but they are leaving us in the dark here. If anet chooses to stand firm with their choice we cant do anything about it but we at the very least would like to know why this is being done for a mount. Anything like "to keep people playing, or to keep a map populated" will certainly gain negative views from the communities majority. There are other methods of achieving those task.

Heck, i wouldn't mind if there was a time gate just not one that spans this drastically for a mount they could have locked it to in game days which are a few hours apart each. Ideally even if some one played hard it would still take a few days to do. Also we have to absolutely acknowledge the double time gate and for some people who dont have mats triple time gate thats built into this collection (what could be multiple times base on future collections) .

We do think anet made a bad choice here simply put even if we don't understand it we do understand that there were better options they could have taken. For the way this mount was teased around.

@"Tachenon.5270" said:The older I get, the less patience I have for nonsense like time gating in a video game. I consider it pointless, annoying, and most of all, NOT FUN. Fun being the primary reason I play these games. What ever happened to "Our games aren’t about preparing to have fun, or about grinding for a future fun reward."funny to read what was said in there manifesto considering this skyscale collection nonsense.So if you love MMORPGs, you should check out Guild Wars 2. But if you hate traditional MMORPGs, then you should really check out Guild Wars 2. Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs. It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill; it doesn’t make you spend hours preparing to have fun rather than just having fun;

Got to love how the timegating is making the third stage of the larger collection incredibly unfun after you have collected the toys and treats. You get to feed your Skyscale, 3 button pushes a day. For 4 days in a row, if you even got the materials/Gold to progress daily that is. That is potentially 3 days where all you get to do is click a hotkey 3 times if you finished the other collections. Then you got to wait. After you push that button on the last day, you are then faced with the daily reset timegate on top of that, delaying it further. And it's honestly the latter timegate I take issue with, not the feed one, even if this step is incredibly boring once you've done the other collections. What a great design choice though. Very immersive after stuffing it full of 14 treats. It makes sense that it can't eat more than 3 meals a day, but gorge on treats. The timegating definitely deserves applauding and defending. Can't wait to see the actual Gold sink in one of these later stages btw. — I'll be happily surprised if there is none. It's a sad realization, but with this collection I think ArenaNet showed how they completely forgot parts of their own manifesto throughout the years.

[...] GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs. It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill; it doesn’t make you spend hours preparing to have fun rather than just having fun [...]

I mean, okay, they're not necessarily wrong. You don't spend hours to prepare to have fun, but you do spend hours waiting to have fun instead.

@ZDragon.3046 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:The fact is that most of the complaints don't make sense, so you can repeat them 2 or 3 or even 4 hundred times ... that doesn't make them more sensible.

What if your ideals dont make sense and you are the one who is wrong here? Can we consider this a possibility?

This isn't about me being wrong or right ... or you or other players. It's about understanding why Anet uses time gating. No one here complaining has ONCE attempted to think of why it's being used. It's just assumed that it 'does nothing'. Go back to the drawing board. Clearly, it's doing something, otherwise people wouldn't be here.

THATS THE ISSUE!

WE CANT TELL YOU WHY ITS BEING USED BECAUSE IT SHOULDNT HAVE BEEN. THERE WAS NO GOOD REASON THAT WE CAN SEE FOR IT.

That doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Players not being able to understand Anet's motives is NOT a compelling reason for Anet to repeal time gated content.

See here is the problem ... WHATEVER the reason is (we don't need to know it), you have to believe there is one, because it's more work for Anet to use time gating. If they didn't have a reason, why would time gate something if it's more work for them? I don't think they would, and it's pretty clear they use that approach sparingly. Therefore, ANY discussion you want to have about time gating that is based on the premise there is NO reason to use it is faulty, right out of the gate. It's not even worth engaging anyone in a discussion that believes there is NO reason to use time gating.

For fun ... HOW any anti-time gate posters do you think are using this platform to make their case? It's LOTS ... and they are all wrong.

ok cool you actually made a realistic rebuttal this time.I agree that the use of daily time gates is rare among anet , usually its locked to progress for specific things like legendary weapons, some ascended gear or currency used to buy or make such things.

In this case its a mount, even if there is a reason (of which we cannot understand) for it it does not mean that players are not allowed to be upset about it when its not the standard for unlocking mounts based on every other mount in the past even the hidden one (griffon). From our stand point a mount marketed as the one of the 3 or 4 main features of a new update or living world patch is generally obtainable fairly quickly. This has been the standard for pretty much every mount they have released for PoF and after PoF up till now. ITS WHAT PLAYERS ARE USE TO!

What ever the reason is, players do have a right to feel they have been wronged here because the mount was not marketed as a ascended or legendary item to obtain, it was marketed and teased in our faces with the idea of "Get yours today."

You certainly cannot tell people that they are wrong for feeling bamboozled when pretty much thats what anet did here even if that was not their true intention. IF they repeal the time gate is not up to us but we certainly should give feed back so that anet knows "dont do this without warning" and "dont do this when its not been the standard" because it generated nothing but mostly negative feedback on multiple platforms. Even if you dont agree with the majority for good reason you are sadly part of the minority here don't expect people to instantly agree with you even more so if you are just going "You are wrong, you should wait, it does not bother me so it should not bother you."

As i said before also I think many of us would shut up rather quickly if anet made a statement about their reasoning behind it but they are leaving us in the dark here. If anet chooses to stand firm with their choice we cant do anything about it but we at the very least would like to know why this is being done for a mount. Anything like "to keep people playing, or to keep a map populated" will certainly gain negative views from the communities majority. There are other methods of achieving those task.

Heck, i wouldn't mind if there was a time gate just not one that spans this drastically for a mount they could have locked it to in game days which are a few hours apart each. Ideally even if some one played hard it would still take a few days to do. Also we have to absolutely acknowledge the double time gate and for some people who dont have mats triple time gate thats built into this collection (what could be multiple times base on future collections) .

We do think anet made a bad choice here simply put even if we don't understand it we do understand that there were better options they could have taken. For the way this mount was teased around.

Hey, feel what you want .. but that's NOT a reason to compel Anet to not use time gates. People feel it's wrong? There are too many? Sounds like EVERY time Anet uses time gates. I have yet to see a place where time gates were used and people didn't complain. Dislike is not a reason for Anet to rethink this.

yes, there are other methods they could use ... but they choose this one, for whatever reason they did. I don't know what it is, I don't care what it is. What I know is that Anet went out of their way to do it, so they didn't take the decision to implement time gate content lightly.

@Obtena.7952 said:

THATS THE ISSUE!

Hey, feel what you want .. but that's NOT a reason to compel Anet to not use time gates. People feel it's wrong? There are too many? Sounds like EVERY time Anet uses time gates. I have yet to see a place where time gates were used and people disliked it. Dislike is not a reason for Anet to rethink this.

As customers who play / use their service (the game gw2) it actually really is.Like i said we cant force them to do it but we can certainly give feed back and you dont upset your customers intentionally

@ZDragon.3046 said:

THATS THE ISSUE!

Hey, feel what you want .. but that's NOT a reason to compel Anet to not use time gates. People feel it's wrong? There are too many? Sounds like EVERY time Anet uses time gates. I have yet to see a place where time gates were used and people disliked it. Dislike is not a reason for Anet to rethink this.

As customers who play / use their service (the game gw2) it actually really is.Like i said we can force them to do it but we can certainly give feed back and you dont upset your customers intentionally

No it really isn't because Anet can't implement everything in a way that everyone likes. They know some ways they do things will upset people ... that shouldn't stop them from doing it. That kind of thinking is completely unreasonable. Sure provide feedback ... Anet already knows people don't like time gates.

@Obtena.7952 said:

THATS THE ISSUE!

As customers who play / use their service (the game gw2) it actually really is.Like i said we can force them to do it but we can certainly give feed back and you dont upset your customers intentionally

No it really isn't because Anet can't implement everything in a way that everyone likes. They know some ways they do things will upset people ... that shouldn't stop them from doing it. That kind of thinking is completely unreasonable.

I agree but they should ideally try to please the majority and not each and very small minorityIn this case obviously there is a majority who is not happy with the way this was implemented and you cant deny the feedback here even if you dont think any person does not have the right answer the majority of people here and on other social media platforms are responding negatively.

@ZDragon.3046 said:

THATS THE ISSUE!

No it really isn't because Anet can't implement everything in a way that everyone likes. They know some ways they do things will upset people ... that shouldn't stop them from doing it. That kind of thinking is completely unreasonable.

I agree but they should ideally try to please the majority and not each and very small minorityIn this case obviously there is a majority who is not happy with the way this was implemented and you cant deny the feedback here even if you dont think any person does not have the right answer the majority of people here and on other social media platforms are responding negatively.

You don't know how many people are unhappy about it and you don't know if it's the majority. Unhappy people complain ... happy people do not. It's always biased to unhappy posts.

@LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:

@Kidel.2057 said:It's still useless since you need 4 days to feed it 3 items each day (up to 12). So 4 more days of clicking 1 button (honestly I see no reason for time gating that specific achievement, seriously, it can't be justified).

Maybe your dragon doesn't want to/can't physically eat 12 meals in one day? Maybe you need to earn its trust over time? Forcing it to eat 12 times when it clearly doesn't want to just seems cruel

Yet gently throwing a ball (which my charr slammed into its face rather violently i might add) and cramming 14 snacks that are visually equal in size to the actually food (if not bigger) is ok.... hmmmmnnnn..... yeah you are taking the idea here too seriously

Why didnt they just use in game days for this part 4 gw2 in game days is what.... prob close to 12-18 hours or something ever day cycle in game is something like every 2-4 hours i cant remember off the top of my head.

I had ran up to my local Dollar General and bought a bunch of beef jerky, doritos, cheese dip, and mountain dew just for the occasion. But when I returned to Gorrik, he reluctantly told me to put down the beef jerky, to seal up my bag of doritos, to put my chees dip & mountain back in the fridge, because now _____.

This has copypasta potential.

My main reaction was a bit of disappointment that there was this new map, obviously designed for the new mount, and here I am playing a bunch on the new map WITHOUT being able to take advantage of the new mount. That is, once I finally get the thing, I'm likely to be ready to go back to some other parts of the game and take a break from grinding on new map.

@"Obtena.7952" said:

You don't know how many people are unhappy about it and you don't know if it's the majority. Unhappy people complain ... happy people do not. It's always biased to unhappy posts.

...Yeah, that's kinda how all criticism works. It's pointless to come on just to say "I don't care about this.", so people don't.

I'm sure that in the millions of GW2 players, half do care about the time-gate and the issues it presents them, and half don't. That's not the point though.

The point is; why does it matter so much to those who don't care, that some people do? If people really didn't care about the time-gate being in place, then it should also stand to reason that they also wouldn't care about the time-gate if it wasn't in place.

Yet here we are.

@thehipone.6812 said:

I had ran up to my local Dollar General and bought a bunch of beef jerky, doritos, cheese dip, and mountain dew just for the occasion. But when I returned to Gorrik, he reluctantly told me to put down the beef jerky, to seal up my bag of doritos, to put my chees dip & mountain back in the fridge, because now _
____

This has copypasta potential.

My main reaction was a bit of disappointment that there was this new map, obviously designed for the new mount, and here I am playing a bunch on the new map WITHOUT being able to take advantage of the new mount. That is, once I finally get the thing, I'm likely to be ready to go back to some other parts of the game and take a break from grinding on new map.

You get access to borrowable skyscales in the map.

@CJtheBigBear.9610 said:

@"Obtena.7952" said:

...Yeah, that's kinda how all criticism works. It's pointless to come on just to say "I don't care about this.", so people don't.

I'm sure that in the millions of GW2 players, half do care about the time-gate and the issues it presents them, and half don't. That's not the point though.

The point is; why does it matter so much to those who don't care, that some people do? If people really didn't care about the time-gate being in place, then it should also stand to reason that they
also
wouldn't care about the time-gate if it wasn't in place.

Yet here we are.

Its because the vocal minority frequently proclaims themselves to speak for an entire community, or we the people. Its not just limited to guild wars, you can find such soapboxing tendencies everywere.

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

@"bOTEB.1573" said:There are thousands of people already at the 1st or 2nd day of feeding their Scyscale. At this point redesigning the collection would be a disaster.I like it as it is. A collection inspired by the spirit of a true RPG. Raising your baby Skyscale feels so natural :)

This would be like saying that cars shouldn't be invented, because it isn't fair to all the old people who had to walk everywhere. There is no equivalence of injustice; it doesn't matter how many people were subjugated to bad design. A bad system should be fixed.

So you are saying that it is ok for you to put your 2 yo kid in advanced technological incubator and make it 25 yo adult instantly?

Are you saying that it is ok to do so as long as the process takes five days?

If you want the RP aspect for yourself, fine. Just make sure that you take years to complete the collections so that the mount has time to grow up.

It's not that I don't appreciate going through harder loops to get an item that's worth it; the collection itself is fine. I don't even mind the time gates for like an hour or so. Something to make people slow down. But a whole day feels like over kill. Especially for those of us who have full time jobs and irl commitments. There's nothing wrong with appealing to a casual crowd, which is why so many people love GW2.

No one is saying they don't want to work for their items. It DOES feel like an accomplishment when you work hard for something and get it. The only thing I feel needs to be nerfed is the time gating, to perhaps a few hours at most if it's a mechanic that must stay.

I'm just hoping when it's over we'll get something worth while.

@LucianDK.8615 said:

Its because the vocal minority frequently proclaims themselves to speak for an entire community, or we the people. Its not just limited to guild wars, you can find such soapboxing tendencies everywere.

I don't want speak for the entire community, only for the people who share my opinion. I've tried not to do so, and if it ever felt like I was trying to speak for everyone, I do apologize.

But whether or not myself or anyone is attempting to speak for all of GW2's population isn't really important, because that doesn't exactly change the fact that in the long run, coming on just to go against people's criticisms seems kinda redundant. Like it was said earlier, the people who have a negative opinion will come on and speak, while the people who have positive ones will not.

Threads like these are set-up in-order for people to vent their grievances, so that ANet can see them and decide what to do with the situation. With the advent of the prior sentiment though, it truly seems like sitting back and being content with what you've gotten is equally as telling as not speaking, so I don't see why some people feel the need to go out of their way to insult and belittle people who think negatively when it has the same impact as doing nothing.

@"Absconditus.6804" said:Got to love how the timegating is making the third stage of the larger collection incredibly unfun after you have collected the toys and treats. You get to feed your Skyscale, 3 button pushes a day. For 4 days in a row, if you even got the materials/Gold to progress daily that is. That is potentially 3 days where all you get to do is click a hotkey 3 times if you finished the other collections. Then you got to wait. After you push that button on the last day, you are then faced with the daily reset timegate on top of that, delaying it further.

I was defending the timegates of the previous stages (because every day was a lot to do for progressing with the skyscale-achievements), but this "feeding"-timegate in stage three is really not fun. Not because I have to wait, but because it feels (and will feel for several days), that there is no real progression at all with the skyscale-achievements.

Now I can only press the feed-hotkey three times a day for several days and then wait another day after I can continue (hopefully) to progress with the skyscale collections.

What anet could have done.

Ive thought about this more and how anet could have ideally pleased both the majority and the minorities here. Those who hate the time gate and those who dont mind it or like the idea of it because it keeps them playing and having something to do.

I feel like to unlock the base should have just been the first collection and you get the mount. (you cured at least 1 and thats the one you get end of story) The first collection requires roughly 5 hours of play time (with the story included)

Anet could have hid different easter egg skins behind the further steps in the collection which could be considered ascended or legendary and require a time gate to grow a new skyscale to unlock those skins. Because their were 12 egg magic possibilities the skin you get is RNG and thus if you want all of them you would need to spend time growing multiple sky scales repeating the egg magic gathering step and beyond until you obtain one of each but ideally the way the base mount was marketed by now we should at least have the base mount imo if you worked for it.

• Gather 12 different magic types for the egg
  • hatch 1 type
  • feed the dragon
  • train the dragon
  • teach the dragon to fly
  • skin unlocked
  • repeat egg magic step with one less egg type on the next collection list if you unlocked the ice skyscale you wont need to gather ice magic next time around.

This way if you want content to keep you interested and work on you have it but you also don't upset the people who just want the base mount and no one is gonna be mad about a time gate for rare skins that otherwise would not be able to get. You would have to RNG on growing and raising multiple skyscales. There would be some people who would do all 12 just to have all 12

And the skins dont even have to be super drastically different from the base skyscale either it could be minor details, earth scale has earthy spikes or sand effects, ice scale has frosty effects, etc. Perhaps once you own all 12 you get some legendary skin or something.

Ideally anet could have done this much better.

No one would mind if the rare skin collection was time gated because its extra not every player wants to go the extra mile. But the majority did want the mount at base i still see players today who use base raptor skins, base jackal skins etc. simply because its all they want is the mount they don't care to spend the extra for a shiny look.

Yes this muds up the possibility for future sales with that mounts gem skins but anet is already doing that anyways by making it overly annoying and frustrating to obtain at base.

Ideally by cutting the number of players who would even get the base just to own it you are effectively cutting future sales on skins anyways. Sure some players a great number of players will finally finish the base mount but soooo many people wont bother starting and or finish it aswell.