Best off-hand for Power Necromancer?

Josiah.2967

Hi everyone,

My preferred play-style is the power necromancer build. With the nerfs to Warhorn and rework/nerf of Focus, I am wondering what the best offhand is.

It looks like Focus is now the best for LF generation and range combat. I just wanted to make sure as want to craft the right ascended off-hand for optimal Fractal performance.

So if I prefer the Focus, since I usually only use the abilities when I'm forced to do ranged combat? Crafting that first will not hurt my DPS? Will I still be viable for Fractals, or is the breaker bar needed?

I used GS/Axe (Focus) right now in open world.

@Josiah.2967 said:So if I prefer the Focus, since I usually only use the abilities when I'm forced to do ranged combat? Crafting that first will not hurt my DPS? Will I still be viable for Fractals, or is the breaker bar needed?

I used GS/Axe (Focus) right now in open world.For PvE:Focus: 100% uselessWarhorn: good at least for breakbars

Neither Focus nor Warhorn are part of your DPS rotation in PvE. You ignore both and use only GS, Axe and Shroud.

For PvP and WvW it's quite the opposite:Focus: good CC + boon rip + LF generation + burst-damageWarhorn: very situational and in general weak after the rework, if both skills had a 20s cooldown, Warhorn might be an option again

Focus is good if you need to rip multiple boons at a time so mainly no pain no gain fractals and Dhuum. The hard cc in warhorn is good for breakbars which are much more common than boon heavy enemies and the swiftness is nice if someone else isn't supplying it. So I say warhorn is more useful overall but there are times to use focus.

I think you need to decide which is more important; life force generation or stunbreak. I play my necromancer (and heavily orientate it towards) the reaper elite, so I want life force all the time. Focus is my go-to because of it. However, if you don't really use the shroud then you will probably find the warhorn more useful with it's ability to break stunbars and/or movement speed bonus.

Hi Loki and ArthurDent,

Thank you for describing the pro and cons of both items. I will eventually make both, but it's expensive and time consuming to make. I think the issue is that Necro gear requires too many crafting disciplines to create ascended gear.

Ascended Gear For Necro:1.) Tailoring - Armor2.) Weapon Smith - Great Sword/Axe3.) Artificer - Focus / Staff4.) Huntsman - Warhorn

The weapons seem all over the place. I have been using the Focus in the open world (while leveling). I switch to it to do range abilities in world bosses to get life force to get in Reaper Mode quicker. Now I see that the warhorn is helpful for breaking bars and the occasional speed boost, this seems better for fractals.

I am a bit torn, and won't be able to make both quickly.

I am leaning towards warhorn to break bars.

You forgot Scepter, its under Artificer too. And daggers under Weaponsmith as well. And Huntsman have torch for Scourge.
But necro isnt the only class with such a spread.

I have both Binding of Ipos (Focus) and Verdarach (Warhorn). I swap between them. Focus for faster getting back in Reaper. And Warhorn when facing bosses with bars or having to cover ground fast.Focus have its use in those fractals with boons needing to be stripped.

You don't use either, offhand for pReaper in PvE is just a stat stick, so I would just take Warhorn for breakbars.I suppose you could take Focus for No Pain No gain in Fractals, but I haven't tested how practical that actually is with how much DPS you loose by screwing your rotation. I'm guessing it's better to just let the Rev take care of it with Mallyx or having the BS go Spb.In PvP, Focus for the boon rip/spike.

@Asum.4960 said:You don't use either, offhand for pReaper in PvE is just a stat stick, so I would just take Warhorn for breakbars.I suppose you could take Focus for No Pain No gain in Fractals, but I haven't tested how practical that actually is with how much DPS you loose by screwing your rotation. I'm guessing it's better to just let the Rev take care of it with Mallyx or having the BS go Spb.In PvP, Focus for the boon rip/spike.

Well ive found Reapers Touch useful if having to range with axe for any reason, such as being low on both health and lifeforce. To faster get back into Reapers shroud

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:Warhorn has probably more functionality, but Binding of Ipos is worth too many fashion points to abandon for a musical instrument.

Hah, well said. But I do find myself missing the spikier lifeforce regain from Reapers touch, compared to warhorn 5. But I swap them depending on situation. Sometimes you need breakbars broken or a speedboost and warhorn shines. But for general use, Reapers Touch is great.

• 3 years later...
On 5/26/2019 at 8:50 PM, Josiah.2967 said:

So if I prefer the Focus, since I usually only use the abilities when I'm forced to do ranged combat? Crafting that first will not hurt my DPS? Will I still be viable for Fractals, or is the breaker bar needed?

I used GS/Axe (Focus) right now in open world.

I have that same question.

3 hours ago, Mordycai.9630 said:

In short, anything is viable as long as you have the right stats (Berserkers). Most your damage comes from GS and Shroud anyway.

Though focus is typically not a great pick for PvE since enemies don't tend to have a lot of boons. Its more a PvP weapon.

7 hours ago, Mordycai.9630 said:

3 years later... and Necro Core Weapons, especially Off-Hands, are still awful. 

The only thing that really changed is that GS got buffed (especially in terms of LF gain), so camping just GS got even better - and Staff received a buff too, making it actually a viable power weapon on Swap, quickly swapping in and out of it before and after Shroud to spam out Marks, esp. 5 (but really, just camp GS). 

Both Staff as well as Axe/Focus "work" as on swap for when you are forced into range - and both are about equally terrible at that job to get stuck on for anything more than a second or two, with your DPS completely plummeting as soon as you are left AA'ing on them. 

TL;DR:

As Zex said, your damage really comes from GS and Shroud - all other options are about equally viable in how bad they are and should be avoided wherever possible.