Anet back in Silent Mode

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Linken.6345 said:Wont it be like right now after season 4, world boss rush, meta event rush, dragon bash, world boss rush, something, festivals of the 4 winds something something something halloween, something something wintersday?So, another half a year long (or longer) content drought? That definitely would end well [/sarcasm].Personally i hope they will be able to show something around halloween at the latest - and preferably at or even before game launch anniversary.

The assumptions in this thread are amazing. Yes they're giving us stuff to do before the Season starts, but Dragon Bash is completely new this time around. Honestly it's not like we're not seeing new stuff even now. It might not be the stuff you want, but I'm beginning to think that nothing will satisify this community.

Yey a new festival! such content much wow trully the moa races is what ive been longing for. And yes, the assumptions in this thread are idd amazing.

Because no one has fun with festival stuff and more people enjoy raids? Too many people like festivals and enjoy them to even have this discussion. Sure a living world chapter is going to be more popular than a festival, but if you were paying attention at all to say the chatter on reddit pre-festival, people were excited this was coming back. You may not care about the race or the adventure, but it took me a while to get the adventure and my wife has been playing it every day. I've gotten the race down to 1:11 on my main account. Admittedly I don't love the holographic stampede, but I have people in my guild who are enjoying the moa race, and others who like the arena. Yes, it's content. It may not be your content, but then it's likely that your content isn't going to be my content. Sneering at content because it's not your specific content, when there are so many people playing that content is simply misleading. It's not like a festival we get every year and they brought it back, and yes, that takes work....but you don't see to care about that work. Others do.

Dragonbash has the novelty of basically being new as in my understanding it hasnt been a thing since se1. The engagement and online opinions arent the same for the other frstivals esp when what most ppl have are the anual achives left to do.

Im a fan of festival and to be quite honest ive enjoyed this one since is new, but please, do tell me what you think in a year will bring more ppl into the game or even keep them engaged with the franchise, a festival they've done twice (up to 7 or 6 times for older ones) or a new expansion?

Also while at it ask what would get ppl more excited, knowing theres a new lw episode/fractal/raid/wvw pvp stuff on x month or a festival?

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@zealex.9410 said:

@Linken.6345 said:Wont it be like right now after season 4, world boss rush, meta event rush, dragon bash, world boss rush, something, festivals of the 4 winds something something something halloween, something something wintersday?So, another half a year long (or longer) content drought? That definitely would end well [/sarcasm].Personally i hope they will be able to show something around halloween at the latest - and preferably at or even before game launch anniversary.

The assumptions in this thread are amazing. Yes they're giving us stuff to do before the Season starts, but Dragon Bash is completely new this time around. Honestly it's not like we're not seeing new stuff even now. It might not be the stuff you want, but I'm beginning to think that nothing will satisify this community.

Yey a new festival! such content much wow trully the moa races is what ive been longing for. And yes, the assumptions in this thread are idd amazing.

Because no one has fun with festival stuff and more people enjoy raids? Too many people like festivals and enjoy them to even have this discussion. Sure a living world chapter is going to be more popular than a festival, but if you were paying attention at all to say the chatter on reddit pre-festival, people were excited this was coming back. You may not care about the race or the adventure, but it took me a while to get the adventure and my wife has been playing it every day. I've gotten the race down to 1:11 on my main account. Admittedly I don't love the holographic stampede, but I have people in my guild who are enjoying the moa race, and others who like the arena. Yes, it's content. It may not be your content, but then it's likely that your content isn't going to be my content. Sneering at content because it's not your specific content, when there are so many people playing that content is simply misleading. It's not like a festival we get every year and they brought it back, and yes, that takes work....but you don't see to care about that work. Others do.

Dragonbash has the novelty of basically being new as in my understanding it hasnt been a thing since se1. The engagement and online opinions arent the same for the other frstivals esp when what most ppl have are the anual achives left to do.

Im a fan of festival and to be quite honest ive enjoyed this one since is new, but please, do tell me what you think in a year will bring more ppl into the game or even keep them engaged with the franchise, a festival they've done twice (up to 7 or 6 times for older ones) or a new expansion?

Also while at it ask what would get ppl more excited, knowing theres a new lw episode/fractal/raid/wvw pvp stuff on x month or a festival?

I'm sorry but do you think LS epsidoes bring new people into the game. Or new raids, if they're not raiding at all? The use of bringing new people to a 6.5 year old game as a criteria for what is content is very weak. Probably only an expansion will bring new people to the game, but then an expansion can lose the game people too, as HOT probably did, and that may be what Anet wants to avoid. I don't know since I'm not privy to their conversations.

What I do know this that everything that comes out in any MMO is just stuff to do period. For raiders that means new raids. For crafters that means new crafting recipes. For people into story it means new stories. For people into achievements it means new achievements. Festivals are enjoyed by many people and they represent new content. People appreciate that Anet did the work to make this festival new again, or at least said so. Obviously some people don't care, but that's true for all content. Tell me would more people play a new PvP map or a new festival? Would more people play a new raid or a returning festival? The bottom line is, it's new and it's content and a percentage of people are enjoying it, as they would any new content.

No one is the ultimate arbiter of what is content and what isn't. Not you, Not me. Not anyone. This festival has been pretty well received over all, and people are enjoying it.

A new expansion MIGHT bring some new people into the game and it might not. It tends to be true that the older a game gets, the more people that would have tried it are going to try it. I believe that Anet does plan eventually to release an expansion, but I can't prove it. In the mean time, I don't think announcing it right now is necessarily going to lose or keep many people in the game.

@Vayne.8563 said:

I'm sorry but do you think LS epsidoes bring new people into the game. Or new raids, if they're not raiding at all? The use of bringing new people to a 6.5 year old game as a criteria for what is content is very weak. Probably only an expansion will bring new people to the game, but then an expansion can lose the game people too, as HOT probably did, and that may be what Anet wants to avoid. I don't know since I'm not privy to their conversations.

Ff14 had its highest sub count of all time before their new expansion was out so yes the use of bringing new ppl into an old game makes perfect sense.

Also btw flr all the ppl who Hot pushed away so many others left due to pof as well after seeing the poor state and the lack or replayability that expac had. But in both cases the expacs score a population increase, had big copy sales and put the game on the map for new players. Also lets not forget the expacs open the monetisation gates wide, lw or festivals dont really tent to do that.

What I do know this that everything that comes out in any MMO is just stuff to do period. For raiders that means new raids. For crafters that means new crafting recipes. For people into story it means new stories. For people into achievements it means new achievements.

Emphasis on "New"

Festivals are enjoyed by many people and they represent new content.

Which they stop being after the first time.

People appreciate that Anet did the work to make this festival new again, or at least said so. Obviously some people don't care, but that's true for all content. Tell me would more people play a new PvP map or a new festival?

Why are u compairing pvp content with pve content when pvp and pve players value different things and are engaged/keep playing because of diff things. (mostly)

Would more people play a new raid or a returning festival? The bottom line is, it's new and it's content and a percentage of people are enjoying it, as they would any new content.

Not quite sure on the participation rate for festivals as opposed to raids by im inclined to assume the festival would have more upfront engagement because its more accesible. There is tho an interesting discussion to be made about repeated engagement between a raid and a festival, how many ppl play the raid on week by week basis compaired to the ppl that play a festival on a week by week/day by day and festival by festival basis.

I think festivals are in a more fortunate position as the are predetermined when it comes to their availability in game and we have more festivals per year as opposed to raids so whatever following they could possibly have is allow to stabilise and grow(if they see more new festivals).

No one is the ultimate arbiter of what is content and what isn't. Not you, Not me. Not anyone. This festival has been pretty well received over all, and people are enjoying it.

Im mostly curious as to what the more importand piece of content for the future of the game is and what matters the most for ppl to be aware of that is still a thing and is still comming.

Ofc the festival wasnt anything particularly special so i didnt expect any reaction other than "eh its aight", festivals are after all maintenance content.

A new expansion MIGHT bring some new people into the game and it might not. It tends to be true that the older a game gets, the more people that would have tried it are going to try it. I believe that Anet does plan eventually to release an expansion, but I can't prove it. In the mean time, I don't think announcing it right now is necessarily going to lose or keep many people in the game.

A new expac will always bring new ppl in because unlike lw or a festival anet actually bothers doing marketing for them.(smart marketing) Its a piece of content we the players feel pretty confident recomending to ppl. Its also the only time where the game sees big changes and additions that previously kept ppl away from checking the game out, just from my personal circle i know of ppl that have checked out this game because raids were a thing or they heard that our mounts are quite good or because they wanted to play a healer.

The rule about a games age id argue doesnt apply that well to live service titles as it does to non live service titles. Live service titles are relevant for far longer, get updated more often and can revitalise themselves given enough good updates from the devs. I cant think of a better example than Eso, ff14 and even osrs which recently have seen great growth caused largely by good content on their part (and bad content on their competitors part).

It would be interesting to see how many people by percentage get more time out of a raid, than a festival, but consider the baseline. If only 10% of the population raids, and 50% of the population does festival stuff for a week, it doesn't matter what percentage of people continue to raid. It doesn't make that much difference to the game's bottom line.

undefined

You know what else could very well be a minority? The group of players from which generate the majority of money for gw2.

If a bunch of those ppl are in pvp or wvw then closing the door on them potentially closes the door on a big chunk of income.

@Vayne.8563 said:It would be interesting to see how many people by percentage get more time out of a raid, than a festival, but consider the baseline. If only 10% of the population raids, and 50% of the population does festival stuff for a week, it doesn't matter what percentage of people continue to raid. It doesn't make that much difference to the game's bottom line.

It kinda does because festivals are seasonal content and anet adds new microtransaction very often, the longer ppl are logged in the more likely they are to check out the microtransactions.

@zealex.9410 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:It would be interesting to see how many people by percentage get more time out of a raid, than a festival, but consider the baseline. If only 10% of the population raids, and 50% of the population does festival stuff for a week, it doesn't matter what percentage of people continue to raid. It doesn't make that much difference to the game's bottom line.

It kinda does because festivals are seasonal content and anet adds new microtransaction very often, the longer ppl are logged in the more likely they are to check out the microtransactions.

I'm pretty sure that the percentage that keeps going with it is a lot higher than raids all up. In other words, there may be less people by percentage but still lots more people who keep doing festival stuff. Take a raider who gets his raids done the first two days of the week and doesn't log in the rest of the time. How is that better?

And raiders are more likely to have money to trade gems for goid anyway. Casual players who enjoy stuff like festivals are, in my mind, more likely to spend actual money on the game.

@zealex.9410 said:

It's not because you don't like the content that's its no content.

@Vayne.8563 said:A new expansion MIGHT bring some new people into the game and it might not.

Gonna post these here, to have some data to work on:

91.5% started Heart of Thorns, 66.2% killed Mordremoth67.2% started S3E1, 59.7% finished it62.4% started S3E2, 57.2% finished it63.3% started S3E3, 55.7% finished it59.6% started S3E4, 50.8% finished it56% started S3E5, 49.9% finished it52.7% started S3E6, 46.8% finished it79.9% started Path of Fire, 62% killed Balthazar57% started S4E1, 47.1% finished it47.9% started S4E2, 42.3% finished it48.7% started S4E3, 39.9% finished it40.6% started S4E4, 35.8% finished it36.3% started S4E5, 31.7% finished it32.8% started S4E6, 29.6% finished it

Data is from 10 days ago, and is from gw2efficiency (where else?). I simply give the start/completion data of the expansions and the living world episodes. All the numbers should be much lower if you take the entire playerbase, but the end result will be the same. The expansion did bring a lot of players to the game, either old players back, or new players. When we finally get expansion 3, I'm 100% positive it will have much higher numbers than either Season 5 or Season 4.

but then an expansion can lose the game people too, as HOT probably did

More than half the players that started Path of Fire didn't start the last episode of Season 4, expansions might lose players, but at the very least they cause a bump in sales/ revenue AND player activity. Meanwhile, the living world is losing players. The better question isn't whether HOT lost players or not, but if it lost as many players as the living world.

@Vayne.8563 said:

I'm pretty sure that the percentage that keeps going with it is a lot higher than raids all up. In other words, there may be less people by percentage but still lots more people who keep doing festival stuff. Take a raider who gets his raids done the first two days of the week and doesn't log in the rest of the time. How is that better?

And raiders are more likely to have money to trade gems for goid anyway. Casual players who enjoy stuff like festivals are, in my mind, more likely to spend actual money on the game.

Whether u spend gold to gems or buy gems it doesnt matter in both cases someone paid for those gems.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:A new expansion MIGHT bring some new people into the game and it might not.

91.5% started Heart of Thorns, 66.2% killed Mordremoth67.2% started S3E1, 59.7% finished it62.4% started S3E2, 57.2% finished it63.3% started S3E3, 55.7% finished it59.6% started S3E4, 50.8% finished it56% started S3E5, 49.9% finished it52.7% started S3E6, 46.8% finished it79.9% started Path of Fire, 62% killed Balthazar57% started S4E1, 47.1% finished it47.9% started S4E2, 42.3% finished it48.7% started S4E3, 39.9% finished it40.6% started S4E4, 35.8% finished it36.3% started S4E5, 31.7% finished it32.8% started S4E6, 29.6% finished it

Data is from 10 days ago, and is from gw2efficiency (where else?). I simply give the start/completion data of the expansions and the living world episodes. All the numbers should be much lower if you take the entire playerbase, but the end result will be the same. The expansion did bring a lot of players to the game, either old players back, or new players. When we finally get expansion 3, I'm 100% positive it will have much higher numbers than either Season 5 or Season 4.

More than half the players that started Path of Fire didn't start the last episode of Season 4, expansions might lose players, but at the very least they cause a bump in sales/ revenue AND player activity. Meanwhile, the living world is losing players. The better question isn't whether HOT lost players or not, but if it lost as many players as the living world.

Where did I ever say expansions don't bring players to the game. You must have having a different conversation. I'm simply saying that festivals or living world episodes both bring people back. Anything Anet does brings some people back. No one says expansions don't bring more people back. I'm AM saying not answering questions about expansions now isn't going to lose enough people to worry about.

This thread is not about expansions. It's about being told about expansions. And if we're not told until they're ready to tell us, it's not going to change the traffic. Saying an expansion will eventually get here at some indeterminate time the future is not going to drive traffic.

@zealex.9410 said:

Whether u spend gold to gems or buy gems it doesnt matter in both cases someone paid for those gems.

Well it does matter, because if everyone just started buying gems with gold, then people aren't buy gems as often, and gold to gem price would likely change, but Anet wouldn't necessarily be getting more income from it. How can it not matter?

@Vayne.8563 said:

Well it does matter, because if everyone just started buying gems with gold, then people aren't buy gems as often, and gold to gem price would likely change, but Anet wouldn't necessarily be getting more income from it. How can it not matter?

So long as theres a deposit of gems it doesnt really matter, tho if everyone started buying gems with gold tmrw the value of gold would drop by alot making spending gems for gold very apealing. For 7 years i dont thing we've had any issues with either the deposit of gold or gems meaning theres a healthy amount of ppl that do both.

Ppl that have alot of gold who use it to buy things from the store make the gems to gold deal more apealing for others, even if they dont need to take out the credit card they still incentivise gem purchases for others just to get the gold.

@Vayne.8563 said:

Where did I ever say expansions don't bring players to the game. You must have having a different conversation. I'm simply saying that festivals or living world episodes both bring people back. Anything Anet does brings some people back. No one says expansions don't bring more people back. I'm AM saying not answering questions about expansions now isn't going to lose enough people to worry about.

This thread is not about expansions. It's about being told about expansions. And if we're not told until they're ready to tell us, it's not going to change the traffic. Saying an expansion will eventually get here at some indeterminate time the future is not going to drive traffic.

Letting ppl know that stuff (importand stuff) is happening will keep them engaged with the game for longer just because theres something to look forward to. In my opinion i feel like an expansion would multiply that by alot more than a festival or a world boss rush would.

After all neither of those things bring anything new to the table overall.

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:A new festival doesn't bring anything new?

What a novel way to think.

I think what is being said is that it won't bring new players into the game, It will entertain the majority of people already invested in the game. Which is in all honest the majority of the content Gw2 makes, its not meant to bring new players in. Living world, Raids, Events like this? They don't bring people in because people don't care for the majority of people expansions are the stuff that brings in new players or even old players.

Tons of people are on the "Ill wait till next expansion, didn't like this one don't care about content patches." Usually due to WoW because of how WoW runs and older mmo's if you don't like an expansion you wont check back in until the next one. That is the mantra of players who delve in MMO's at least in the majority because that is what is told to me when I ask if they've seen the new living world update. No one but those playing the game care, in reality it seems it does a good job keeping us invested but not new peeps.

@zealex.9410 said:

Letting ppl know that stuff (importand stuff) is happening will keep them engaged with the game for longer just because theres something to look forward to. In my opinion i feel like an expansion would multiply that by alot more than a festival or a world boss rush would.

My guess is 80% of the playerbase has never visited the forums. Nor do they follow reddit. Even if it's not never, 80% probably don't regularly go to the forums. An early mention of an expansion might affect 20% of the game's population. But of that 20% some people will play whether or not an expansion is mentioned. It's a storm in a tea cup. You really really want to know if an expansion will be coming at some point. Anet isn't ready to tell you. To you this is a big deal. It might be a big deal to a fairly small percentage of the playerbase.

It's not like I don't want an expansion. I just don't need, at this moment to know if it's coming now.

There was a time when people played games to enjoy them at the time they played them and didn't worry about what was going to happen next week or next month or next year. The fact that people are so concerned with a year in the future is frankly worrying me to me. No one can predict an uncertain future anyway and the further out you plan, the more likely something will go wrong. Anet has made a decision not to pre-empt too much in case plans change. You want them to be a company they're not. You want them to have a carry about a plan with little to no experimentation after that plan is announced. It's not going to happen.

The company tries stuff, for better or worse, and that takes longer than just implementing something by rote. I think people should be used to this by now.

You can want Anet to change how they do business, but doing so would have likely yielded a significantly different game. It might be one you'd like more, but it also might be one I'd like less. And I STILL don't think this will affect more than a tiny percentage of the people. I want an expansion but don't need to know if one is coming right now. Why do you believe the percentage of players this will matter to is so large that Anet should pay attention to it?

@Vayne.8563 said:

My guess is 80% of the playerbase has never visited the forums. Nor do they follow reddit. Even if it's not never, 80% probably don't regularly go to the forums. An early mention of an expansion might affect 20% of the game's population. But of that 20% some people will play whether or not an expansion is mentioned. It's a storm in a tea cup. You really really want to know if an expansion will be coming at some point. Anet isn't ready to tell you. To you this is a big deal. It might be a big deal to a fairly small percentage of the playerbase.

As if somethign thats been said on forums or reddit by a dev stays there and does get discussed on other platforms.

@zealex.9410 said:

As if somethign thats been said on forums or reddit by a dev stays there and does get discussed on other platforms.

I don't think you get what I"m saying. I'm saying people who play games, many of them don't go to ANY site, or ANY platform. They log into games, and they spend the rest of the their time doing other stuff. They don't surf the web looking for gaming sites, very often. They see something in a story or an ad on facebook or get a gift, they log in and they play. They're not interested in what's coming two years down the road. They don't have their first legendary yet. They just sort of log in and kill some stuff. To those people, they're not thinking ahead to an expansion. They're likely not thinking very deeply about their gaming experience.

One of the devs commented somwhere on the number of players that have never been to their trait screen and it was a much higher percentage than I thought it would be, though I don't remember the exact percentage now. It as somewhere between 30 and 40 percent, I think, Players that have never played with builds. It's nuts, when you think about it.

You're not representative of the majority of the playerbase and neither am I. You're thinking much more about this game, or probably any game than most people. That's why knowing or not knowing in my opinion isn't going to make a huge difference either way. Sure it will make a difference to you. But you and I, we're not in a high enough demographic to write the game around or a marketing strategy. That's my best guess anyway.

@Zeike.7469 said:

@bluberblasen.9684 said:They have no time because they are busy with the BIG WVW ALLIANCE UPDATE and the PVP rebalance !!!!!!!!!111111111111111111

Ohh i cant wait, i was talking to the wvw teams in discord and everyone is clamoring for alliances, unfortunately many dont think they will happen.

Just delete those two junk modes from the game. Nothing but complete boredom (WvW) or complete toxicity (PvP). Stop wasting time and resources on those. Focus on expansion 3, new elite specs, possibly new weapons, new features, new races, new maps, and quality of life fixes on existing content.

Can't stand when they waste time on those other two piece of trash modes that do nothing for the game. WvW will NEVER be anything but repetitive and PvP players will NEVER be satisfied with balancing or any other change. Forget them. Worry about the bulk of the game that actually matters.

PvP has this issue on a global gaming level, WoW, ESO, Overwatch, theres always going to be imbalances around. It's been that way since they added class diversity into games, and will always be an issue, despite complaints a lot of people have accepted this. Now if you take out PvP/WvW you'll be damning a lot of players who enjoy these modes and I can guarantee you players will find something else to complain about. Your solution is unrealistic.

Your logic is unrealistic. We already have complaints about plenty of things in PvE that need to be fixed and they actually matter because they are GW 2. I don't care about the complaints. I care about any kind of PvE delay connected to development being devoted to these modes. Get rid of them. There will always be an audience for something. These modes need to go. They are extra features added on to extend gameplay. Go find an E-Sport if you want to PvP and go watch paint dry if you want the same experience you'll get in WvW. GW 2 needs to cut off the fat and devote all resources and development to PvE entirely.

Recent circumstances really do make me significantly question ANet and its understanding of, and its ability to, communicate with its community.

We see they post about upcoming Balance changes;https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/81729/upcoming-balance-notes/p1

Yet their recent Guild Chat stream on Friday had nothing to do with this, in fact it had to do with cinematics;https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-chat-cinematics/

Completely wasted opportunity to engage better with the community for this game and thats what bothers me the most about ANet as a company. They post about a topic on the forums that people find important, upcoming changes to an aspect to gameplay that they enjoy, yet they completely neglect to take advantage of an opportunity, the Guild Chat stream, to discuss and go over why they specifically decided these changes were necessary, take questions and discuss what the future could hold with these changes in place and what they might still be working on in terms of balance for the game.

None of that happened. Every week I get progressively more disappointed in ANet and its inability to communicate and engage with the GW2 community.

@zealex.9410 said:

@AllNightPlayer.1286 said:What do you expect from firing the longtime forum communications lead?
More
forum communication???

Iirc she herself took the jit so others wouldnt.

A while ago on a glassdoor review I read that the ones that stepped up voluntarily got a big pay out of it, idk how true that is but it would make sense, plenty devs peaced off to Amazon without much hesitation xD and one of the popular cons on the glassdoor reviews is the shoddy pay at Anet..

@Kattenpootjes.4291 said:

@AllNightPlayer.1286 said:What do you expect from firing the longtime forum communications lead?
More
forum communication???

Iirc she herself took the jit so others wouldnt.

A while ago on a glassdoor review I read that the ones that stepped up voluntarily got a big pay out of it, idk how true that is but it would make sense, plenty devs peaced off to Amazon without much hesitation xD and one of the popular cons on the glassdoor reviews is the shoddy pay at Anet..

Shoddy pay or low pay? Buying out your leavw isnt that unique, iirc blizzard did it as well.

From my read on glass door the problem with anet was mostly meh pay, lack of direction and ppl in key positions that cant really utilise said positions. Coupd be updated i guess?

As for the devs idk where the majority went, amazon is close to anet offices or its simply because there was a bunch of anet staff there to begin with. The few devs i saw either are still looking or went in all kinds of directions. Fractal ben went to minecraft for example to make dungeons there :p

For real I would like this thread not to get buried. ANet really needs to start acknowledging the criticism about their communication methods, among other things, and I'd like for this to not get over looked.

I legitimately can't recall a single moment in GW2's history where I've seen ANet devs directly acknowledge "Yeah, we kinda messed up here" (paraphrasing) in any aspect of the game. Not even with dungeons and we know how thats essentially dead content these days.