Getting the Skyscale?

Hellooo,I just got back to playing this game after a few years of not touching it and finally bought the expansions-- I'm having a blast. I love the mounts, but after I discovered the skyscale I have been in looove with it; dragons are my absolute fav.Anyways, I've done some searching on how to get one and am honestly super confused. From what I've seen you need Living World season 4, and to complete all the quests for it, although I heard you need some other things as well? Not really sure. I'm still pretty much a new player, so I'm just looking for tips and advice on how I might get one? Do I just need to buy Living World season 4? Not so sure.Thanks!!!

You don't need to complete all the quests in LS Season 4. You do need to complete the last story in Season 4. If you don't care about story just do the last one through, and do each of the others far enough to get to the zone. That's all you need to do as far as the Season 4 content. You also, however, need 250 currency from each zone, which does mean playing the zone. It doesn't mean finishing each of the stories however.

The best way to get that currency for players like me, who aren't farmers is to actually play the content, sometimes on multiple characters, including completing the zone. Some people prefer to farm.

The Skyscale is meant to be an end of season reward, so it presumes you've actually played the season and would have some of that currency accrued at least. You can also farm people's home instance once a day to get more of the currency.

There are many collections you have to complete to get the Skyscale, it's quite a process, but if you finish the final story of Season 4, which you have to do anyway, the reset after you finish you'll get a mail telling you to meet Gorrik and that begins the process.

@Vayne.8563 said:You don't need to complete all the quests in LS Season 4. You do need to complete the last story in Season 4. If you don't care about story just do the last one through, and do each of the others far enough to get to the zone. That's all you need to do as far as the Season 4 content. You also, however, need 250 currency from each zone, which does mean playing the zone. It doesn't mean finishing each of the stories however.

The best way to get that currency for players like me, who aren't farmers is to actually play the content, sometimes on multiple characters, including completing the zone. Some people prefer to farm.

The Skyscale is meant to be an end of season reward, so it presumes you've actually played the season and would have some of that currency accrued at least. You can also farm people's home instance once a day to get more of the currency.

There are many collections you have to complete to get the Skyscale, it's quite a process, but if you finish the final story of Season 4, which you have to do anyway, the reset after you finish you'll get a mail telling you to meet Gorrik and that begins the process.

I think you also need to finish ep4 story to be able to unlock sun's refuge

i just finished crafting skyscale few weeks ago. the tips is dont rush.rent a skyscale on ep6 try it. before you plan to craft. skyscale is handy but is not a all in one mount. it fly slow. and you always need to find landing ground to boost.if you decide to craft. firstly buy all 1~6 LS4 ep. u will need it for future collection. then get raptor, springer, jackal to lvl3. yes u need jackal for 3 JP. (or if your friend got skyscale to can mesmer portal you to the collection point).the hard part as Vayne said is the currency from all ls4 map. the more character you get the quick currency you can collect. and buy portal scroll if transfer other character to help collect the currency. (i had 13 character it take me around week to collect all )and the ignore part is JP. ( i am not a good at it) but some do have trick to skip an reach to the final end.

You need to have the entire LS4 story package (all chapters), which is gonna cost you gems/$$ since you've already missed 2 opportunities to get the whole set for free.

Once you have that unlocked, you have 2 options on how to go about the story.

Option A: If you have time on your hands, I highly recommend doing the story in order. Path of Fire first, followed by Season 4 in order. If you don't have the 4 basic mounts (which you get through Path of Fire and its story), you'll NEED those to get around the maps for all of the post-POF Content blocks. While not required, Gliding from Heart of Thorns (which comes before POF) is defacto mandatory to keep up with most zergs, and should be obtained at some point. The down side is that you're gonna be on a 2 month lag before catching up with the rest of the community for the current story...... but thats going to be the cost of trying to get caught up on everything right at the start of a new Content season.

You might also lose time on Festivals- which I also recommend spending at least a week on when they go live, since theres huge opportunities to make gold needed for later on.

Option B is to try to skip/power through the basics and jump straight into the new season. This is viable, but will be difficult since you don't have all the movement abilities unlocked. If you have a good guild that can help you with either Mastery tracks, or Portal you past obstacles in the new map, this is probably the stronger option. Then in the downtime between major content releases (which is claimed to be faster this time around), you go and back fill tasks needed for specific unlocks.

I push for option A on the assumption that you're playing solo right now; and following the story arc will give you stuff you need in the order they were introduced, and how the maps were built. You can skip Griffon and Roller Beetle, as both require a significant amount of effort/time you can't afford if you're rushing. The Skyscale is not entirely necessary, but its utility is extremely high- making it a must-have if you're doing things "out of order".

Heart of Thorns is an entirely different animal. You have to keep in mind that the Devs were constantly changing how they handled content releases over the years..... so EVERYTHING after Core Tyria is wildly inconsistent. HOT in particular is a huge spike in combat difficulty, the maps are vertical, and intentionally difficult to navigate without all of the mastery tracks. Mounts bypass this in some places, but getting around is still very dangerous. Season 3(which comes after HOT) is a good source ascended trinkets, but Season 4 can provide those (though not as easily). POF's story line is fairly long, and the traversal time significant due to the size of the maps. Season 4 has a lot of story steps tied to Meta events; but most of these events are still actively farmed.

As for the Skyscale collection itself: you're looking at a roughly week long process, and you'll need a LOT of map currencies from all the LS4 maps to complete it. If you have Teleport to friend Stones available, you can potentially stream line the Currency time gate by teleporting to Dragonfall, and using the NPC there to trade Volatile magic for currencies from other maps in limited amounts per day. You'll also need most of the Core Tyria and POF maps at least partially explored, since one step is a Goose chase around the globe. You can bypass this with gold, but it gets expensive very fast.

For details, there are multiple guides reddit that give you a full run down on what you'll need, what prep work to do ahead of time, and what time gates will hit you in the face as progress through it.

@JUN YANG.4328 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:You don't need to complete all the quests in LS Season 4. You do need to complete the last story in Season 4. If you don't care about story just do the last one through, and do each of the others far enough to get to the zone. That's all you need to do as far as the Season 4 content. You also, however, need 250 currency from each zone, which does mean playing the zone. It doesn't mean finishing each of the stories however.

I think you also need to finish ep4 story to be able to unlock sun's refuge

You unlock the refuge before the story is complete. You are correct in that you do have to play far enough into the story to unlock the refuge.

@"Destinypath.2105" said:Oh boy, thank you all for the advice! Would this be a good guide to follow? Wasn't sure if anything had changed or nothttps://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/brs41g/complete_skyscale_unlock_guide/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

Yes that guide is very comprehensive and I referred to it often. I just completed the skyscale myself using it. The only thing that has changed that I can see is some of the time gated stuff was reduced from daily reset to two hour windows. There are some things you should do, like making the charged quartz crystals as you will need them at some point. Unless you just want to throw gold at some of these things.

Getting the map currencies is going to take the longest.

@LucianDK.8615 said:

@Destinypath.2105 said:Ah, yeah. So I should buy every episode in LW 4 to get the currencies?

Correct. Currencies from all 6 episodes is needed. As well to complete all the collections.

I see, thank you so much for the help! Seeing that I'll have to get some gems on my hands before I even attempt any of this (oh boy) I'm also curious-- is there any semi-efficient ways to earn gems in game rather than just buying them with actual cash? I know there's the whole currency exchange system, but I'm unaware of any other ways IF any

@Destinypath.2105 said:

@Destinypath.2105 said:Ah, yeah. So I should buy every episode in LW 4 to get the currencies?

Correct. Currencies from all 6 episodes is needed. As well to complete all the collections.

I see, thank you so much for the help! Seeing that I'll have to get some gems on my hands before I even attempt any of this (oh boy) I'm also curious-- is there any semi-efficient ways to earn gems in game rather than just buying them with actual cash? I know there's the whole currency exchange system, but I'm unaware of any other ways IF any

i am not too sure about LS4 current . is it whole season need Gem to but it? by the time i was crafting . ep2, ep4 and ep6 are still free to enter. i can reach second stage "saving skyscale" not sure now. i craft skyscale by watching "AynMaiden" on youtube. she do show some trick for JP as well.

but before you start maybe get springer and jackal, and reach lvl 3 master

@JUN YANG.4328 said:for Gem, I never purchase any by using real cash. i do saved some when still cheap. you can earn gem by doing achievement. every 5000 will give you 400 gems. other method is gold exchange. sell your T6 item or mystic coin will speed up.

I see! What do you recommend for getting achievement points? Are there specific achievements that are the best for getting more points?

@Destinypath.2105 said:

@JUN YANG.4328 said:for Gem, I never purchase any by using real cash. i do saved some when still cheap. you can earn gem by doing achievement. every 5000 will give you 400 gems. other method is gold exchange. sell your T6 item or mystic coin will speed up.

I see! What do you recommend for getting achievement points? Are there specific achievements that are the best for getting more points?

i think mainly collection, JP, dungeon, wvw. i really not the person for this answer. 7 yrs account 4 yrs play time. i only have 9k achievement point. lol

@Destinypath.2105 said:

While you do get 400 gems for each 5000 AP, getting those AP takes far too much work to even consider it an inefficient way to gather gems. Those gems are strictly a bonus.The

Other than dropping cash on gems, the currency exchange is the way to get them. Efficient farming (something I've never had the patience for) makes 15-20 gold/hour, last I heard.

The Season 4 pack costs 960 gems, unless you already have any episodes unlocked. (For each episode you have, the pack is 160 gems cheaper.) 960 gems costs approx 380 gold according to gw2efficiency.

Remember that you can mix! If you can drop €/$10 for 800 gems, the remaining 160 only costs ~65 gold.

Ah geez, figured the achievement points would be a rougher route haha, guess I'll have to figure that out then. I'd totally be down with spending a little amount of cash to buy the season, i guess my only concern is whether or not I'll actually be capable of earning the skyscale. Especially given how new I am. The Reddit guide seems very helpful, I'm just wondering if there are complications or things I could do that'd screw the whole thing up I guess? Never really done such an in-depth quest, but it seems like it could be fun a bit, I'm mostly just in it for the dtagon.

@"Destinypath.2105" said:Ah geez, figured the achievement points would be a rougher route haha, guess I'll have to figure that out then. I'd totally be down with spending a little amount of cash to buy the season, i guess my only concern is whether or not I'll actually be capable of earning the skyscale. Especially given how new I am. The Reddit guide seems very helpful, I'm just wondering if there are complications or things I could do that'd screw the whole thing up I guess? Never really done such an in-depth quest, but it seems like it could be fun a bit, I'm mostly just in it for the dtagon.

it depend how new you are. if you are really new to the game. the biggest challenge for you is karma. normally new player dont have that much karma. and its hard to find the way to farm it. if you check on wiki. it may only need 5k karma on first collection achievement. however on map currency collection if you dont have enough karma . it will take you long time on this stage. the quicker way for this collection is do renown heart quest everyday and spend karma to buy 5 token on NPC. specially "Kralkatite Ore" you can buy 25 token from each NPC . or the only way is to do meta on map and mining.

@JUN YANG.4328 said:

@"Destinypath.2105" said:Ah geez, figured the achievement points would be a rougher route haha, guess I'll have to figure that out then. I'd totally be down with spending a little amount of cash to buy the season, i guess my only concern is whether or not I'll actually be capable of earning the skyscale. Especially given how new I am. The Reddit guide seems very helpful, I'm just wondering if there are complications or things I could do that'd screw the whole thing up I guess? Never really done such an in-depth quest, but it seems like it could be fun a bit, I'm mostly just in it for the dtagon.

it depend how new you are. if you are really new to the game. the biggest challenge for you is karma. normally new player dont have that much karma. and its hard to find the way to farm it. if you check on wiki. it may only need 5k karma on first collection achievement. however on map currency collection if you dont have enough karma . it will take you long time on this stage. the quicker way for this collection is do renown heart quest everyday and spend karma to buy 5 token on NPC. specially "Kralkatite Ore" you can buy 25 token from each NPC . or the only way is to do meta on map and mining.

I see-- currently I have almost 7,000 karma

@Destinypath.2105 said:

@Destinypath.2105 said:Ah geez, figured the achievement points would be a rougher route haha, guess I'll have to figure that out then. I'd totally be down with spending a little amount of cash to buy the season, i guess my only concern is whether or not I'll actually be capable of earning the skyscale. Especially given how new I am. The Reddit guide seems very helpful, I'm just wondering if there are complications or things I could do that'd screw the whole thing up I guess? Never really done such an in-depth quest, but it seems like it could be fun a bit, I'm mostly just in it for the dtagon.

in this case you need lots of work on that. only spend karma on first achievement. then run meta on dragon fall to collect " mistborn mote" dont waste karma to buy that token. you can get that really easy. dont rush. run meta once or twice to reach daily reward on that map. you will receive 1~2 sip of liquid karma as reward around 1.5k per bottle.the good thing for dragon fall meta. is you can get lot of item from it. keep following the leader. remember all the skyscale location. you can rent from it. also after meta is killing champion time. that also is the good time to get karma and mistborn mote.once you have enough karma spend on " kralkatite ore" on reown heart first. ( can saved time to run around for collection)if break down all the currency collection.for me:"kralkatite Ore", "Misborn mote" is the easiest"inscribed shard" and " Lump of Mistonium" need bit of running around to collection and mining ( one character still can do the job)"Difluorite Crystal" and " Branded Mass" i need to buy portal scroll and use all my character to assist. so i found that the hardest.

@JUN YANG.4328 said:

@Destinypath.2105 said:Ah geez, figured the achievement points would be a rougher route haha, guess I'll have to figure that out then. I'd totally be down with spending a little amount of cash to buy the season, i guess my only concern is whether or not I'll actually be capable of earning the skyscale. Especially given how new I am. The Reddit guide seems very helpful, I'm just wondering if there are complications or things I could do that'd screw the whole thing up I guess? Never really done such an in-depth quest, but it seems like it could be fun a bit, I'm mostly just in it for the dtagon.

in this case you need lots of work on that. only spend karma on first achievement. then run meta on dragon fall to collect " mistborn mote" dont waste karma to buy that token. you can get that really easy. dont rush. run meta once or twice to reach daily reward on that map. you will receive 1~2 sip of liquid karma as reward around 1.5k per bottle.the good thing for dragon fall meta. is you can get lot of item from it. keep following the leader. remember all the skyscale location. you can rent from it. also after meta is killing champion time. that also is the good time to get karma and mistborn mote.once you have enough karma spend on " kralkatite ore" on reown heart first. ( can saved time to run around for collection)if break down all the currency collection.for me:"kralkatite Ore", "Misborn mote" is the easiest"inscribed shard" and " Lump of Mistonium" need bit of running around to collection and mining ( one character still can do the job)"Difluorite Crystal" and " Branded Mass" i need to buy portal scroll and use all my character to assist. so i found that the hardest.

You can purchase bonuses that give karma on kills on the LS4 maps, but that's just trading one resource shortage for another. However, you can get it in Jahai for "free" (time cost in completing some achievements, I forget which), so that might be a good option.

S> @Destinypath.2105 said:

I see, thank you so much for the help! Seeing that I'll have to get some gems on my hands before I even attempt any of this (oh boy) I'm also curious-- is there any seaemi-efficient ways to earn gems in game rather than just buying them with actual cash? I know there's the whole currency exchange system, but I'm unaware of any other ways IF any

Silverwastes is a popular gold farming area. I also do the hot zone metas (except Verdant Brink, I hate that one). Auric Basin especially is a very loot heavy meta. Once you get to Dragonfall (LW4 last map), that meta is very good as well, especially if you have a commander tag leading the chase after the bonus bosses. Be sure to collect volatile magic from the LW4 maps too; you'll need quite a bit of that, as I recall.

Most of all, be patient. Do stuff until you're bored, then take a break and go have fun with other stuff. If you try to grind it, it will get tedious fast.