Recon Cove trees and guild banners

It seems the trolls have found another way to be the absolute s**theads they are. Right now I'm trying to do map completion of Grothmar Valley. One of the PoI's requires you to visit 4 marked trees to get access to the cove. Yet people now place banners right in front of the tree, in the spot where the mark is carved, effectively making it impossible to interact with it. And since you can only interact with the tree when you're standing with your nose pressed to the mark instead of 360 degrees around the tree, and since you can't select the tree with your cursor, they're effectively blocking map completion.

Yes, I know I can go to a different instance of the map. But right now, there are none. And that is not a solution to the problem either, it's a workaround at best (and one that doesn't work all the time, obviously).

Dear ANet, for the love of the Mother Tree, make it so you can select the trees and circumvent any banners that any trolls might have placed there. It really shouldn't be possible after all this time the game exists that banners and s**t still interfere with interacting with an object. It certainly isn't the first time this problem occurs with guild banners, and by now you should have the foresight to prevent this from even being possible at all. As far as I'm concerned, this kind of deplorable behavior deserves a permaban. Of course that will be far too extreme a punishment to you, but consider the kind of person that does this. Such people are undesirable in any community and should be prevented access. Period.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Usually, players place those banners to mark where the trees are.

Have you tried the 'Next Ally' button? Always works for me.

'Next Ally' doesn't work because the trees aren't targettable/selectable. I've just tried standing in front of one and using 'Next Ally', but there's nothing to select.

This wasn't someone being helpful, though. There was only a banner in front of one tree, and it blocked the mark completely.

@AgentMoore.9453 said:I'd just like to point out that this isn't players trying to troll, it is players trying to mark the trees for the day in order to make the achievement easier for other people to complete. It's one thing to be annoyed by interactability, but don't misconstrue intention and call for bans.

Then maybe you should read back in this thread so you understand the situation correctly. Out of the 8 trees with carved symbols, only 1 had a banner in front of it. And the banner was placed in such a way that it was impossible to interact with the mark, prohibiting access to Recon Cove/completion of the achievement or map completion.

If this were a case of players trying to be helpful, they would mark all the trees necessary to access Recon Cove. And they would also not place it in such a way that it is impossible to interact with the mark. So no, I'm not misconstruing anything here. This was not someone trying to be helpful. It was a troll, plain and simple. Before jumping to conclusions, make sure you have all the information.

@TheNecrosanct.4028 said:read back in this thread so you understand the situation correctly.

Thank you, but I have already read the thread and understand perfectly. I've encountered the same thing before.

the banner was placed in such a way that it was impossible to interact with the mark, prohibiting access to Recon Cove/completion of the achievement or map completion.

Which is an interactability problem, the sort I mentioned you were right to be annoyed by. But this doesn't mean it was done on purpose or meant to be malicious. Your annoyance has probably generated that interpretation.

If this were a case of players trying to be helpful, they would mark all the trees necessary to access Recon Cove.

Banners expire, and it's hard to say when they were placed versus when you arrived.

Wanting banners to be adjusted so that they don't have a chance of interfering like this (auto-activating when a player is in range might do) is fine. I take issue with you degrading other players and calling for bans over something that in all likelihood was not done with the intention of ruining your day.

@AgentMoore.9453 said:

@TheNecrosanct.4028 said:read back in this thread so you understand the situation correctly.

Thank you, but I have already read the thread and understand perfectly. I've encountered the same thing before.

the banner was placed in such a way that it was impossible to interact with the mark, prohibiting access to Recon Cove/completion of the achievement or map completion.

Which is an interactability problem, the sort I mentioned you were right to be annoyed by. But this doesn't mean it was done on purpose or meant to be malicious. Your annoyance has probably generated that interpretation.

If this were a case of players trying to be helpful, they would mark all the trees necessary to access Recon Cove.

Banners expire, and it's hard to say when they were placed versus when you arrived.

Wanting banners to be adjusted so that they don't have a chance of interfering like this (auto-activating when a player is in range might do) is fine. I take issue with you degrading other players and calling for bans over something that in all likelihood was not done with the intention of ruining your day.

Guild banners should expire within 30 minutes, but they don't. We all know they stay around for hours, even days, until a new patch clears them all, or the map instance closes. So if this was a case of marking the 4 trees necessary to access Recon Cove, the other 3 should also still be there. And they weren't. Take issue all you want, but the scenario you are describing was not applicable in this situation. Trolls should definitely be banned. They are not an assett to any community in any conceivable way. It's shitty behavior that should not stay unchecked.

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:"If this were a case of players trying to be helpful, they would mark all the trees necessary to access Recon Cove."

Or, one could state that "If this were a case of players trolling, they would place banners at all the trees necessary to access Recon Cove."

Always two ways to look at things, no?

Why would they? It's enough to place a banner at one of the trees to prevent access. From an efficiency point of view, this saves banners so they have more opportunity to do it in other places. No need to waste 4 banners while 1 does the job as well.