Would you want Henchmen/Mercs for Private Instances?

@"Asum.4960" said:GW1 is a game where >90% of it's content is designed to be multiplayer, story and all, and a system like that was needed for play at off-peak hours and into maintenance mode.GW2 is a game where >90% of it's content is designed to be singleplayer, and already one of the biggest issues the game faces is lack of social/MMO elements and game teaching moments.Considering a Ranger pet can already solo the Core game, I don't think there would be much of a game left if people had a full group of AI clearing everything for them.

As I see it, Henchmen for GW2, currently, would "fix" a symptom by making the actual problem worse.

Getting shoehorned into dealing with lazy people, as they always are in any multiplayer game since there is no punishment, is much worse. It's dumb and game developers should stop trying to shove it down peoples throat with such desperation.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the big miss here is not doing a better job with Dragon's Stand - i.e. giving you a handful of people to recruit in addition to the story NPCs, giving you some control over their looks, abilities, including a hud for them when they are in an instance with you, and letting you choose one of the recruitable ones to join you in any instance (in addition to any that are part of the story.)

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"Raizel.1839" said:Yes and also in public maps, not just instances!

Of course! Let every player use 7 henchmen, and all 500 characters combined attack poor Shatterer's toe nail. That would be so much fun

If you're talking about the open map Shatterer, I'm pretty sure the title says "private instances" so it'd be limited to things like story instances, dungeons, fractals, raids, etc.

If there is a Shatterer instance that I don't know of because I haven't done any raids, It's not difficult to implement instance group limits.

@Leo G.4501 said:

Of course! Let every player use 7 henchmen, and all 500 characters combined attack poor Shatterer's toe nail. That would be so much fun

If you're talking about the open map Shatterer, I'm pretty sure the title says "private instances" so it'd be limited to things like story instances, dungeons, fractals, raids, etc.

If there is a Shatterer instance that I don't know of because I haven't done any raids, It's not difficult to implement instance group limits.

Read the post I responded to

@maddoctor.2738 said:

Read the post I responded to

Ah, wasn't paying attention.

If a henchman system made it to open world, I'd heavily assume it'd be limited to one which wouldn't really be much help so probably easier to just skip implementing in open maps.

I would like to team up at least one other character, for personal story, only; just like mercs.No more than one... maybe.Just so I can double team my characters.Other than own private story instances, maybe be able to create a team with my own characters for dungeons that are story related only.

Helpers could come with a few buttons that dictate their functionality; such as:• Attack at will ○• Defend me/other (eg Aurine) ○• Attack only when attacked ○• Avoid Combat (Stand By) / Follow ○• Hide/Flee ○

Other settings:(Adjustable slide) □Melee |-----|-----| Magic

Behaviour: □Priority:• Destroy Foe ○• Recover Self ○• Defend Friendlies ○• Revive Friendlies ○

Action:• Agressive ○• Passive ○• Balanced ○

• 4 weeks later...

@Ardenwolfe.8590 said:I want to use them for the old dungeons.

It would be great to use them to solo dungeons, just as a choice.There are times that I love playing with other people, but sometimes I just wanna do things by myself.By choice... I hate rushing dungeons or otherwise.I'm more of a slow pace player.The only rush I like doing is in Racing games, such as car, etc...I hate it when I'm trying to look at the beauty of the landscape or the effort put into the surroundings details, and having to rush off to the end.I'm a gazer and admirer of scenery.Rushing off is not my thing.With mercs, that would be possible.

I remember back in GW1, pausing to take a screenshot and admire the landscape.Having the entire party pose for a screenshot.You just had to when you discovered places such as balthazar temple, way hidden in the maguma.A waterfall, or the sun setting in the shiverpeaks.

Now, in level 80 areas, or overcrowded areas, you can't do that.Stop to admire maguma or elona?Forget it. A giant wurm will be up your backside as soon as you stop for a mere second.

Take a screenshot of your character in a beautiful landscape is next to impossible.Besides, you could be able to summon it whilst fighting that juicy 10 HP in those areas.

Is it possible to do it in a way that only you could see your mercs and not other players?So it wouldn't create further lag for anyone?You can already use the option to hide other players, or/and quantity and quality of graphics.Mercs could be use exactly the same way.An option would be added so only you could see them.