Damage number's over the enemies character model

Fractures.8267

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Where else would you put them where it’d make sense on screen to how much damage you’re doing to any particular number of enemies?

Why would u need to see the numbers when you can see the healthbar ? The fact that in some positions it obscures the character model completely baffles me. Why have them in the first place ?

@gdubze.6015 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Where else would you put them where it’d make sense on screen to how much damage you’re doing to any particular number of enemies?

Why would u need to see the numbers when you can see the healthbar ? The fact that in some positions it obscures the character model completely baffles me. Why have them in the first place ?

How would you know that you’re doing damage? How would you know that your damage is on par to what it should be?

If I recall, there’s an option to disable them so why not just do that? If there isn’t then a checkbox can be requested for those that feel they don’t need to see this.

@"Azure The Heartless.3261" said:If you want to turn off damage numbers, make that a toggle-able option.

Gonna pass on that being a global change. 0's, "glancing"s, and knowing your opponent is glass by how much hp that crit took off them without needing to look at the health bar is useful.

Of course it should be an option not saying it should be taken out, I am asking why they need to put massive numbers on the character model of the enemies

@gdubze.6015 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:How would you know that you’re doing damage? How would you know that your damage is on par to what it should be?

Chat log ? Where all the information about damage healing etc should be

So in the middle of combat, you find it more effective to move your eyes away from your enemy, to the corner of your screen, to see this than to simply see it above them?

Would it be on its own tab? How would you see map/team chat? If they share a tab, wouldn’t map/team chat get buried?

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

So in the middle of combat, you find it more effective to move your eyes away from your enemy, to the corner of your screen, to see this than to simply see it above them?

I would check before I made the attack why do I need to know if my attack is going to glance by looking at the enemy ? i would look at myself and check for weakness. I look at the minimap and still focus on the enemy, whats the difference ? I guess you are unable to multi-task in pvp.

@gdubze.6015 said:

I would check before I made the attack why do I need to know if my attack is going to glance by looking at the enemy ? i would look at myself and check for weakness. I look at the minimap and still focus on the enemy, whats the difference ? I guess you are unable to multi-task in pvp.

This is why you're not a decently ranked player if you're focusing more on a chat log rather than what's visually going on in front of you.

@phokus.8934 said:

This is why you're not a decently ranked player if you're focusing more on a chat log rather than what's visually going on in front of you.

Are you saying that im not rated high because i look at the minimap or other places to check for things ? HAHAHA! Heard it all now.

@gdubze.6015 said:

Which isn’t effective in a PvP environment where a lot can happen during that time which could cost you the fight.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Which isn’t effective in a PvP environment where a lot can happen during that time that could cost you the fight.

Its clear to me that you have no clue how to pvp correctly!

@gdubze.6015 said:

Which isn’t effective in a PvP environment where a lot can happen during that time that could cost you the fight.

Its clear to me that you have no clue how to pvp correctly!

Taking your eyes away from what your enemy is doing, in order to see if you’re landing your attacks, is bad. I have the feeling that you don’t PvP correctly.

@phokus.8934 said:

Which isn’t effective in a PvP environment where a lot can happen during that time which could cost you the fight.

If you want to derail the thread i suggest you make your own thread about your own issues.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Taking your eyes away from what your enemy is doing, in order to see if you’re landing your attacks, is bad. I have the feeling that you don’t PvP correctly.

At what time do you actually take your eyes off the enemy model when you can see the healthbar depleting ? Numbers mean nothing when all the information is displayed infront of you at the top of the screen or by the (OBSCURED) animations of the character model !

There are enough other possibilities to place them and they would still be good visible, like on the same horizontal line but a bit aside from the target charmodel or (my favored:) right above the targets name. It is something you do not look at all the time, other things like the char animations are way more important, the dmg numbers should be shown, but they don't need to be on the top spot right in the middle of your focus. Even the buffbar of your opponent you have to check more often than each single dmg number and for that you have to move your eyes way more. It is not needed to be informed about each single dmg number you do, often you hit the targets that fast right after another that you can't even read each single one. It is rly not an information needs to have top spot on the screen and even cover way more important animations. I ask for a possibility to change position of dmg numbers for longer already.

The informations about missed attacks, invuln etc. can stay were they are.

@bravan.3876 said:There are enough other possibilities to place them and they would still be good visible, like on the same horizontal line but a bit aside from the target charmodel or (my favored:) right above the targets name. It is something you do not look at all the time, other things like the char animations are way more important, the dmg numbers should be shown, but they don't need to be on the top spot right in the middle of your focus. Even the buffbar of your opponent you have to check more often than each single dmg number and for that you have to move your eyes way more. It is not needed to be informed about each single dmg number you do, often you hit the targets that fast right after another that you can't even read each single one. It is rly not an information needs to have top spot on the screen and even cover way more important animations. I ask for a possibility to change position of dmg numbers for longer already.

The informations about missed attacks, invuln etc. can stay were they are.

I actually ask why they feel the need to put them over the character model, of course they could move them or give the option to remove them to. I totally agree with you!

@gdubze.6015 said:If this game is based on animations and seeing what the enemy is doing, why on earth do you put the damage numbers over the character you are attacking ? Pure genius!

Generally you wont be attacking if you dont think its not safe for you to do so. So either you are watching their character for animations of danger to avoid and because you want to be able to avoid you wont be wasting cds and or attacking which locks you into animations where you may not be able to dodge.

If you are attacking then you are probably not worried about anything they are going to do as you feel you having the opening to attack.

There really is no reason the dps numbers are actually not over bloated like they tend to be inalot of other games. The only time the numbers bother me is when barrier hit points are stacked with normal hit points which can result in a bit of number bloat but generally its fine.

At best ask for a option to make damage numbers simpler / smaller in the UI.

@ZDragon.3046 said:

@gdubze.6015 said:If this game is based on animations and seeing what the enemy is doing, why on earth do you put the damage numbers over the character you are attacking ? Pure genius!

Generally you wont be attacking if you dont think its not safe for you to do so. So either you are watching their character for animations of danger to avoid and because you want to be able to avoid you wont be wasting cds and or attacking which locks you into animations where you may not be able to dodge.

If you are attacking then you are probably not worried about anything they are going to do as you feel you having the opening to attack.

There really is no reason the dps numbers are actually not over bloated like they tend to be inalot of other games. The only time the numbers bother me is when barrier hit points are stacked with normal hit points which can result in a bit of number bloat but generally its fine.

Like I told the other people this is not a thread on basic pvp awareness! I dont need you trying to explain your reasons on why you think im doing something. I am saying that the damage numbers obscure the animations when you are in a fight. Specially team fights the screen is so clustered and you have the numbers on top of that also. Critical hits are the worst offenders!

I agree it's awkward to superimpose the numbers on the enemy character model. Just a bit farther up the screen would make it easier to see animations. There is an option to turn them off, but then I'm afraid I'll miss important things like invulnerability. Maybe I should just turn numbers off and try it for a while. But I asked a player I respect very much and he said he plays with them on.

@gdubze.6015 said:

Like I told the other people this is not a thread on basic pvp awareness! I dont need you trying to explain your reasons on why you think im doing something. I am saying that the damage numbers obscure the animations when you are in a fight. Specially team fights the screen is so clustered and you have the numbers on top of that also. Critical hits are the worst offenders!

I personally dont agree but it is worth consideration i have played games where dps numbers block everything while i dont feel this way about gw2 im not surprised that someone might its really just a case by case bases. Perhaps an option to turn down the opacity damage numbers and combo field notifications?

They should move the dmg numbers over the character name to be honest. No one cares what the enemy's name is after you started attacking them but everyone want to be able to see what their enemy is doing at all time. Also a slider to increase/decrease the size of text would be nice. But anet will never change their UI because they believe their horrible UI is perfect.