What is the best food to plant when Growing Crops?

I am looking for ideas on what is best to plant in your home instance. What sells the best on Black Lion Market or what is something that I may desperately need later? I played this game from launch and then took a break in late 2017 until a month ago. I may have missed some useful info during that time. Thanks for your help.

It's really all about ascended food these days, which once leveled, gives you an additional plot. I was tempted to buy additional ones but held off, and I'm glad I did. Even with just 1 plot, by being consistent with planting and using the bounty harvest tool, I have more than enough materials to drop ascended food whenever I want, to the point where even buying a plot to make primers makes no sense, since the cost of a new plot isn't justified with how cheap the food is to make for me.

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:There's two options:

(1)Market price. I'm not sure if the ascended herbs are still profitable to make, but for a long time they were the best bang for your buck.

They can be but only if you have some sort of additional gathering chance.

@"thehipone.6812" said:Give some thought to the special flowers too- you can get some good value from things like the orchids if you buy the cheap potential dye unlocks for something like this https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guaranteed_Purple-Gray_Dye_Unlock you can then unlock 10g dyes for about 7 silver in other ingredients plus a couple days worth of plot gathers.

That is around a 1% chance ...

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@"thehipone.6812" said:Give some thought to the special flowers too- you can get some good value from things like the orchids if you buy the cheap potential dye unlocks for something like this
you can then unlock 10g dyes for about 7 silver in other ingredients plus a couple days worth of plot gathers.

That is around a 1% chance ...

Unlike the regular chef ones, the orchid dye kit is a guaranteed unlock. If, as I indicated in my original comment, you go ahead and buy up the cheap dyes you will definitely get one of the more expensive ones. Costs only 6.6 gold to buy up all of the purple-gray ones valued below 60 silver, after which you are guaranteed to get more "value" than the sellable items. "Value" is assuming that you actually care about the dyes and want them unlocked.