Why does no one talk?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Hannelore.8153" said:One reason is that F2P players don't even have access to map chat, and have other restrictions.

Furthermore, if you watch gameplay videos, you'll see alot of people have map chat disabled, and many of them have chat hidden entirely, especially if they regularly tackle harder content like Fractals and raids, and competitive modes. That's because the chat tends to become toxic, it can be really nice and sweet one minute with people supporting each other and the next homosexual and racial slurs are flying around.

For example yesterday when [LGBT] guild was recruiting and people started going off about how funny and rediculous it is, that anyone would be LGBT, the recruiter simply saying "we're just trying to find other people like us to play with.." and logging off.

And its not just this, it happens with everything; one minute you're getting congratulated on your new Legendary weapon, the next minute someone is going on about how you're just some whale who probably bought it off the Trading Post, or used chat codes.

It all depends on your region, the time of day, and luck of the draw of the players you end up with due to megaserver, links, etc.

People need to understand that this isn't the late 90s/early 2000s with Everquest, WoW, Ultima, etc. anymore. Times have changed, people with poor behaviors who were taught to basically dislike or even hate others as much as possible become alot less afraid to be themselves online, especially in MMOs, which were once a bastion for people trying to escape the difficulties and stress of real life.

On top of this, due the abuse of GMs in videogames (both abusing their power and being abused by players for doing their job), many companies no longer employ them, which gives the illusion that many online games are unmoderated.

tl;dr, Its just not worth it to deal with other people online anymore.

... Wow, your analysis and conclusion was actually very good. I enjoyed reading this. ?

Just make sure you have the right setup on chat. Sometimes you may change it and forget to swap back. "Say" and think "map" usually gets reply. Say makes it easier to see since it becomes a Bubble.I actually talked to a random player one day when went what I thought was off the grid but, I survived the fall,lol. There was a small arena and they walked up to it as well and we just ended up chatting for about 1 hour.

@jishi.7568 said:

@"Hannelore.8153" said:One reason is that F2P players don't even have access to map chat, and have other restrictions.

Furthermore, if you watch gameplay videos, you'll see alot of people have map chat disabled, and many of them have chat hidden entirely, especially if they regularly tackle harder content like Fractals and raids, and competitive modes. That's because the chat tends to become toxic, it can be really nice and sweet one minute with people supporting each other and the next homosexual and racial slurs are flying around.

For example yesterday when [LGBT] guild was recruiting and people started going off about how funny and rediculous it is, that anyone would be LGBT, the recruiter simply saying "we're just trying to find other people like us to play with.." and logging off.

And its not just this, it happens with everything; one minute you're getting congratulated on your new Legendary weapon, the next minute someone is going on about how you're just some whale who probably bought it off the Trading Post, or used chat codes.

It all depends on your region, the time of day, and luck of the draw of the players you end up with due to megaserver, links, etc.

People need to understand that this isn't the late 90s/early 2000s with Everquest, WoW, Ultima, etc. anymore. Times have changed, people with poor behaviors who were taught to basically dislike or even hate others as much as possible become alot less afraid to be themselves online, especially in MMOs, which were once a bastion for people trying to escape the difficulties and stress of real life.

On top of this, due the abuse of GMs in videogames (both abusing their power and being abused by players for doing their job), many companies no longer employ them, which gives the illusion that many online games are unmoderated.

... Wow, your analysis and conclusion was actually very good. I enjoyed reading this. ?

It's also not true as i remember it all being the same years ago, nothing has gotten worse, it's just more of the same. It was never worth it to deal with other people and the less game developers feel some obsessive compulsion to force their preferred way of playing on people, the better.

@Yggranya.5201 said:

It's also not true as i remember it all being the same years ago, nothing has gotten worse, it's just more of the same. It was never worth it to deal with other people and the less game developers feel some obsessive compulsion to force their preferred way of playing on people, the better.

They did touch up on a fact , which even I have forgotten about.GM'sEven I, can't remember which MMOs I played that had GM'S. Was it RuneScape... ??? . Yeah, I don't remember but, GM's were a necessity and think they probably still are.

If I want to socialize, I go talk to my friends and family. Chatting with a stranger in a computer game doesn't hold a candle to real socialization and human connection, IMO. I may banter with someone in chat for giggles now and again, but for the most part, gaming time is my alone time.