Mesmer portal shenanigans when placed on top of chests and other interactive items.

ArielRebel.3426

@WorldofBay.8160 said:

@"ArielRebel.3426" said:that [...] should fall under exploit [...] and should be bannable.

but how can you report if you have no idea who set the portal? the abuser won't likely use the portal and thus is far away, you can't focus people outside your sight (which is a big problem on all those teleport hacks) and we have no report function that says "protocoll my last interaction, that wasn't right".

I don't know how they coded things but if attacks have an "origin ID" proprety (from whom the attack/ability originates from) to tell it who it can have an effect on for example, then it wouldn't be hard to find the person that made the portal and it should be easy to detect players that are being teleported out of bounds and check who's portal they used. It's either that, or they FREAKING HURRY THE HELL UP and make it so chests have a priority in a 180 circle radius around them so there would be absolutely no chance for somebody to click "enter portal" or a novelty box instead of "open chest". If giving priority is just not feasable, making it so portals and novelties require you to hold down the interact key for a whole second instead of pressing would fix the issue as well. Tarir has become quite cancerous with the mesmer kiddies abusing their portals and idiots with aviator box.

@ArielRebel.3426 said:

@ArielRebel.3426 said:that [...] should fall under exploit [...] and should be bannable.

but how can you report if you have no idea who set the portal? the abuser won't likely use the portal and thus is far away, you can't focus people outside your sight (which is a big problem on all those teleport hacks) and we have no report function that says "protocoll my last interaction, that wasn't right".

I don't know how they coded things but if attacks have an "origin ID" proprety (from whom the attack/ability originates from) to tell it who it can have an effect on for example, then it wouldn't be hard to find the person that made the portal and it should be easy to detect players that are being teleported out of bounds and check who's portal they used. It's either that, or they FREAKING HURRY THE HELL UP and make it so chests have a priority in a 180 circle radius around them so there would be absolutely no chance for somebody to click "enter portal" or a novelty box instead of "open chest". If giving priority is just not feasable, making it so portals and novelties require you to hold down the interact key for a whole second instead of pressing would fix the issue as well. Tarir has become quite cancerous with the mesmer kiddies abusing their portals and idiots with aviator box.

The delay in interaction with a portal would be a problem in places like WvW and PvP, where acting with a portal ASAP is crucial for specific strategies (portal bomb!).

Also, mesmers aren't the only profession that can do portals.

@Mr Hinky.2159 said:It's too bad that there are players like that in this game. Where does this portal take you by the way? To Neverland?

in sw for example it puts you on a golden rock outside the map where only a wp brings you back. now sw only has one wp and that portal is around the farthest point the chest farm reaches, so before mounts you lost quite a couple chests, maybe even the chest you dug yourself.

@ASP.8093 said:

@Game of Bones.8975 said:TL;DRDid someone recommend that portals and such couldn't be planted within 300 or 450 of a chest or interactable item?

That radius is way too big, it probably messes with all kinds of actual gameplay stuff.

I just threw that out there to point out a radius that things couldn't be placed. Not a law that it couldn't possibly be any closer that that.

@Game of Bones.8975 said:

@ASP.8093 said:

@Game of Bones.8975 said:TL;DRDid someone recommend that portals and such couldn't be planted within 300 or 450 of a chest or interactable item?

That radius is way too big, it probably messes with all kinds of actual gameplay stuff.

I just threw that out there to point out a radius that things couldn't be placed. Not a law that it couldn't possibly be any closer that that.

Fair enough. Might even want to just do it by chest: like 240+ for giant event chests, ~160-ish for smaller event chests, and don't bother applying a limiter at all on random minor ones. Because it definitely is fair to say there's no legitimate use for a portal in, e.g., the middle of the Frost Citadel final loot area.

@"ASP.8093" said:

Fair enough. Might even want to just do it by chest: like 240+ for giant event chests, ~160-ish for smaller event chests, and don't bother applying a limiter at all on random minor ones. Because it definitely is fair to say there's no legitimate use for a portal in, e.g., the middle of the Frost Citadel final loot area.

I should have said "couldn't be placed within a certain distance of."

A similar argument came up soon after PoF mounts were established.Should people have to dismount to interact with something on the ground: chests, farming nodes, banks, armor repair, etc. The replies were generally focused on the fact that the mount's bulk would hide those items so you would need to dismount. I replied that a person could still be on their mount over a chest/farm node/whatever not be in the process of opening it and still block it's view. In the end, I do think that farming nodes should be capable of being done while mounted (just QoL to aid in speed), while opening things should be done dismounted.