20 Dollars For Mount Skins?!?!

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Shena Fu.5792 said:Cosmetics is the entire basis of their business model. Of course they'll exploit that department. Which includes selling bonuses for cosmetic customizations.

All cosmetic is still optional. What colors other players dye their mounts does not improve their combat performance. So this does not impact those who don't have it. You're not disadvantaged if you don't have it; thus optional, superfluous, vain.

Exactly. I do not have griffin and I still do not have it (the custom skin for it is unlocked but without being able to switch to griffin it is pointless). It does not change gameplay mechanics to get a skin.

Although I would have just LOVED to rub it in the faces of some people if I got griffin without doing the quest. :)

@TheRandomGuy.7246 said:

@TheRandomGuy.7246 said:

@Nick Lentz.6982 said:You know the great thing about gem store cosmetics? They are entirely optional.

Not if you want to customize your mount.

Sigh. Does that change them being optional.

Cash shop is the only way to customize mounts in a game built
and sold
around customization. About as optional and consumer friendly as AAA games in 2017 I guess.

THIS. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad, if gold wasn't such a long-haul through the majority of methods.The most fun methods of gold making are stamped with the "once per day" rule... aka, fractals.

The next best methods, I wouldn't call fun. Nor are they time efficient.

This game should never have had gem-gold conversions. The cash cow you have created out of micro-transactions, and the knock on effect to the value of gold in game, as well as controlling the methods and speed at which your players can gather gold, has tarnished this game.

Unequivocally the worst thing in GW2.

First thing I said when I heard about mounts was Just wait for the mount skins on the cash shop. Was just a matter of time and the price is not that terrible all things considered. Only thing they could have done differentlyis to sell them seperately rather than as a bundle.

It's 5 skins, but there is the big disappointment. After I saw this thread, I immediately checked out dulfy and just saw they are different colour patterns. I expected different looking mounts like a mammoth or a fern hound etc. I think they will come, but 20€ only for 5 different colour patterns is a bit too expensive. In other games there are different tiers of skins. And usually colour patterns is like 'normal' and other skins are 'legendary'. Maybe that would make more sense. Hope we get some more interesting in the future.

@Garimeth.8725 said:Man you know, I logged in, looked at it, didn't think it looked much better than the standard mount, decided it wasn't worth the cost of two trips to star bucks for me and my wife (because that is literally how small an amount of money we are talking about) and so I didn't buy it.

I don't understand these people that get on here and pound their chests about the gem store. None of this is necessary to play the game, it comes across as very adolescent. If you are so upset that you can't afford it either get a better job or don't go out to eat like twice.

I bought it since I am guessing you can just hide the skeleton by making it the same colour as the skin but yeah. Gem store stuff is optional, roughly the cost of lunch a couple days if you work. Or if not, buying the game and spending some gems every month is still cheaper than buying then paying a sub fee.

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:It's 5 skins, but there is the big disappointment. After I saw this thread, I immediately checked out dulfy and just saw they are different colour patterns. I expected different looking mounts like a mammoth or a fern hound etc. I think they will come, but 20€ only for 5 different colour patterns is a bit too expensive. In other games there are different tiers of skins. And usually colour patterns is like 'normal' and other skins are 'legendary'. Maybe that would make more sense. Hope we get some more interesting in the future.

Please show me another game thats sells multi-channel dyeable skins for MOUNTS at a lower price. NOT Armor, NOT Weapons, NOT costumes, Mounts ONLY.

its basically 4 blank png files for 20$(if u pay with rm),their main advantage is removed texture so u can use any color.i was hoping for some new models...like hover bike/skate/car instead of skimmer,for halloween bone mounts....they have many options,but then again its probably not worth doing if most are using ingame gold....idk as other ppl say this skins are optional,dont have to buy it if u think are expansive...

@Lokki.1092 said:I never doubt people's desire to complain over the price of anything and everything.

If you don't like the skins don't buy them, if you cannot afford the skins don't buy them. The rest of us will enjoy them.

The major problem is, they made the base mounts poorly customizable to force us to buy the gem store ones if we want more colours. I don't like the spooky mounts. If I ever buy them (which I highly doubt), it will be for the dye slots, hoping I can hide both the skeleton and the aura.

They gave us basic mounts. You should have known that they were going to add skins for them with more customization options. It's what they did with gliders. You're not forced to buy them or have any need for them other than cosmetics.

If you want to have a colorful mount; buy the skins.

My only complaint is you have to buy them bundled. I just want the jackal, raptor, and maybe bunny.

While I would have proffered that the mounts could be bought individually, I think the price for them is fair, even though I'd prefer them to be like 15$ instead of 20$ but whatever.

However, I don't see why some people here are upset that these are ''just'' reskins and not new models. These mounts aren't just cosmetic speed boosts like in other MMOs. Each and every one of them has a different function built in and the way it works. I don't think it would be that simple to just give them a new model. Also we must take in account the story about each mount and the story about the possible alternate models.

The new models might come or a heavily enhanced skin option for the existing ones that would make them more unique, but considering how these mounts function, I doubt it is an easy or cheap thing to do.

Just my 2 cents.

I don't see the big issue here.

Gliders are priced at 400-500 gems a piece. Glider packs (back piece and glider) are generally 700. That's right around $5 per glider skin. (Give or take a dollar, since you get a little bit of a discount with the glider / backpack combos)

The mount pack is 1600 gems (normally 2000) and contains 5 skins. That's 320 gems per skin, on sale. 400 gems per when it's not. Which is on par with glider skins. About $5 per skin.

Now, do I think that maybe they should have given us the option to buy them individually? Sure. Not everyone wants all 5 necessarily.Do I wish the normal mounts had more than 1 dye channel? Yes, but again, this isn't any different than the base glider either.

I agree that the price is high. Fortunately, those skins are ugly as hell and they repulse me.In the future, it would be much better if there was an option to buy one skin for one mount instead of a bundle of five identical skins for five mounts priced five times higher. Obviously, it won't happen because it would be less money for Anet.

@Raven.1524 said:Meanwhile mobile games are p2w and a chance to get anything a little bit valuable might cost you 30$. And thats just a chance....

Exactly.. like one mobile game where people spend up to thousands per year and 200 Euros per every character they happen to add and here people complain two years about 30 Euro expansion price.

@Rhanoa.3960 said:

@Bhaya.7916 said:I agree that the price is high. Fortunately, those skins are ugly as hell and they repulse me.

Can you please show us a comparison to what, rather than just acknowledging that its just too high.

It's a high price only because it forces us to buy a bundle. The price would be fine if the skins would be sold individually. That's what I meant.

@wrathmagik.3518 said:Are you high?

On top of that they all look the same! (they are 2000 gems on "sale" for 1600 atm)You can almost buy POF for the same price as mount skins!We all knew that mounts were anets new cash cow but i didn't think they'd price gouge this badly.

It would be well worth it and I would definitely buy them if those skins were:

• Alpha male Lion or a tiger (for dinosaur)
  • Bullfrog or grasshopper (for rabbit)
  • Dragon Fly (for manta ray)
  • Pegasus/unicorn or a dragon (for griffon)
  • Remove jackal from game i hate that mount!

Archived