20 Dollars For Mount Skins?!?!

****> @ROMANG.1903 said:

@TheRandomGuy.7246 said:

@Nick Lentz.6982 said:You know the great thing about gem store cosmetics? They are entirely optional.

Not if you want to customize your mount.

Sigh. Does that change them being optional.

The entire game can be "optional". But making players pay this expensive for something that should have been on the base mounts (more than 1 poor dye slot) is just abusive.

@Mea.5491 said:Dude, $20 for FIVE mount skins. In most MMOs, you pay $20 for ONE mount skin.

But in others MMOs these are entirely different skins. New animations, new skull... This is just a recolour. Go on paint and make a smoky effect on the back of it. You're done.What ticks me is that Anet purposedly made a poor work on base mounts to make us buy the cash ones...

No one can make you buy the new skins. Im sorry that you consider the mounts to be poor quality work. I cant agree. They look good to me, and paying for cosmetic options is integral to the game's business model.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Ashen.2907 said:****> @ROMANG.1903 said:

@TheRandomGuy.7246 said:

@Nick Lentz.6982 said:You know the great thing about gem store cosmetics? They are entirely optional.

The entire game can be "optional". But making players pay this expensive for something that should have been on the base mounts (more than 1 poor dye slot) is just abusive.

@Mea.5491 said:Dude, $20 for FIVE mount skins. In most MMOs, you pay $20 for ONE mount skin.

But in others MMOs these are entirely different skins. New animations, new skull... This is just a recolour. Go on paint and make a smoky effect on the back of it. You're done.What ticks me is that Anet purposedly made a poor work on base mounts to make us buy the cash ones...

No one can make you buy the new skins. Im sorry that you consider the mounts to be poor quality work. I cant agree. They look good to me, and paying for cosmetic options is integral to the game's business model.

They are great. But they intentionnally toned them down in order to make us buy. Shit, I paid for the expansion, it's not like the base mounts are free or even buyable with gold!

My biggest disappointment is that the base mounts only have a single dye channel (and can't even dye the entire mount) where the halloween one has FOUR DYE CHANNELS.

So they obviously plan to monetize future mount skins by saying "hey guys, these will have more dye channels that you can mess around with".

Annoys me to no end.

@TheRandomGuy.7246 said:

@TheRandomGuy.7246 said:

Cash shop is the only way to customize mounts in a game built
and sold
around customization. About as optional and consumer friendly as AAA games in 2017 I guess.

The gem - gold exchange allows you to get the mount skins without any outside investment.

Also last time I checked, you can dye your base mounts. Does that not count as customisation?

Finally, only because you want something does not make it less optional if it's not gameplay related or required.

In capitalism, if one thinks the price is too high for an optional item, you can choose not to pay the price. It should be sufficient to say, "I don't want to pay 20 dollars or convert 460 gold to gems". There's no need to go wild with hyperbole and make accusations of "gouging" or "choosing prices while under the influence".

Does it matter how much they are? You dont have to buy them you know, im a working man so i bought them instantly. It is same thing in real Life, no one force you to buy those expensive clothes etc, but If you have the coin ofc you can enjoy those expensive things.

Job or not, 20€ isnt much from something that you really want.

@Karmapolice.4193 said:I am actually very happy with the price. If this was Elder Scrolls Online, the skins would be $40 each and only on sale for 24 hours. Twenty bucks for what would be considered 5 new mounts in other games is a fantastic price.

Stop comparing to others games. I'm comparing to what Anet used us to. To what I liked in GW2 since I started the game.

ITT: players who don't realise that "optional" content still affects players that don't have to buy it. A helpful hint kids, in order to get people to buy stuff, you make them want it. In order to make players want something, you twist their arm to make life without it suck, and you make the free stuff crap in comparison.

Cosmetics is the entire basis of their business model. Of course they'll exploit that department. Which includes selling bonuses for cosmetic customizations.

All cosmetic is still optional. What colors other players dye their mounts does not improve their combat performance. So this does not impact those who don't have it. You're not disadvantaged if you don't have it; thus optional, superfluous, vain.

@KrHome.1920 said:400g for 5 skins.... I don't see the problem (seriously!).

It's 400g for EACH skin, before discount. But you have to buy all five in a bundle.

Personally, I don't like them. They look like bones painted on black skins, not realistic enough : P Anyway, I never like dark, gothic stuff. But I am glad to see that many players like them. Gemstones items to me are totally optional; buy if you like them, don't buy if you don't like or feel that they are not worthy.

edit: typo

And that one mount has a different model, different animations, different effects and different sounds... here, they just painted the base mounts black and then painted bones on them. So this is how its going to be lol, same mounts but paint-overs. I was hoping for complete different creatures (Example: Raport gets a bonebreaker or mordrem teragriff skin)

$20 dolalr mount in FF14:http://www.mogsales.com/images/com_hikashop/upload/02002.png

For the flexibility in customization for EVERY mount we have access to, this is beyond a good deal. I was more than happy to give them 20 dollars for them. They're neat and I hope to see more in the future, hopefully different creature skins. They just proved how simple it is to pull off with these. It shall be magnificent! :D

@Knuckle Joe.7408 said:

And that one mount has a different model, different animations, different effects and different sounds... here, they just painted the base mounts black and then painted bones on them. So this is how its going to be lol, same mounts but paint-overs. I was hoping for complete different creatures (Example: Raport gets a bonebreaker or mordrem teragriff skin)

$20 dolalr mount in FF14:

That skin looks awesome ! But I wish Anet could come out with something cute for flying mount, like that flying dog with the big flapping ears in Never Ending Story movies : D

@Knuckle Joe.7408 said:

And that one mount has a different model, different animations, different effects and different sounds.$20 dolalr mount in FF14

As an MMO veteran and former MMO hopper who has tried nearly every online game in the past decade, I can safely say that mount RECOLORS cost TONS of money in LOTS of games, they CANNOT BE DYED and they are CHARACTER BOUND. In GW2, you only have to buy mount skins once and use thousands of unique color combinations on them. Also, your precious FF14 costs $15 a month, you MUST pay just to be able to play PLUS you have to spend extra money on fluff... Meanwhile, GW2 gives all core content for free and sells OPTIONAL fluff for $20. Still waaay better than silly monthly fees, lol.

Archived