Please add more ways to obtain Black Lion Statuettes.

@kharmin.7683 said:What's in it for Anet to make this change? Sure, we all want easier access to things in GW2, but the current model earns the company profit. How would this change benefit Anet?

Even more money for Anet because people in anti-lootbox regions can now spend money on statuettes in the gemstore while still selling the same amount of black lion keys.

@Scratchpaw.1069 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:What's in it for Anet to make this change? Sure, we all want easier access to things in GW2, but the current model earns the company profit. How would this change benefit Anet?

Even more money for Anet because people in anti-lootbox regions can now spend money on statuettes in the gemstore while still selling the same amount of black lion keys.

Yea as this person I reply to say kharmin.7683

What profit loss do you expect if Anet to get if it sells 1 statuette for bettwen lets say 75-100 gems or 1 black lion key for 125 were you get 1 statuette + chance items.

EditSince the 1 statuette sale opens up a market that now is closed it would be profit right?

@Linken.6345 said:

What profit loss do you expect if Anet to get if it sells 1 statuette for bettwen lets say 75-100 gems or 1 black lion key for 125 were you get 1 statuette + chance items.

You assume that a player would purchase only 1 key. This goes against the marketing tactic of the BLC. But for discussion sake...

Assume item desired requires 6 statuettes. At 100gems (using a round figure for simplicity), that is 600gems. After that 600gem purchase, the player has what they want and has no need to purchase additional gems for statuettes.

With keys at 125gems each, that person would have to purchase 750gems, which is 150gems more than in the previous example.

750 > 600 Why would Anet want to lose those 150gems sale?

Also, if the item is not yet in the statuette list, and a player doesn't know if/when it will be listed and for how much, and the player desires the item then they will purchase keys to open chests in the hope of getting that specific item. This is where the RNG/lootbox stuff comes in to play and why some governments feel the need to protect people from their own purchasing habits.

Now, if people who are in support of the OP can show Anet how this change would actually benefit the company, then by all means do so and I would even support it because I want the company to remain profitable and the game to keep running.

@kharmin.7683 in the worst case scenario for the OP, sell the statuettes at the same price as the keys. People who really want something that can only be bought with statuettes will then have a way to do it, and there won't be any lost revenue. To be a little fairer they could make a bundle where you get some other fixed reward(s) with the statuette, e.g. a booster maybe, so there's no gamble involved. Hopefully people who don't want to support gambling would be able to buy these even where there aren't any laws. A lot of people really hate RNG so you might actually expand your sales. I for one might buy it, and I won't buy keys.

@kharmin.7683 said:

You assume that a player would purchase only 1 key. This goes against the marketing tactic of the BLC. But for discussion sake...

Assume item desired requires 6 statuettes. At 100gems (using a round figure for simplicity), that is 600gems. After that 600gem purchase, the player has what they want and has no need to purchase additional gems for statuettes.

With keys at 125gems each, that person would have to purchase 750gems, which is 150gems more than in the previous example.

that would only make sense if a statuette was any good. the current halloween bonus packet is worth more than 2 statuettes if you convert them into gold for example.even if you think about the home instance node prices in the TP statuettes aren't even worth 3 gold. keys give much more valuable dyes, glyphs, permanent account upgrades, skins and more. a key can even give you the home instance node directly - worth 100 statuettes. there is no reason to buy a key for a statuette, i doubt anyone does it.

so by adding statuettes to the gemstore for a price slightly below the key (to account for the secured statuette in the key) ANet gets more money. maybe. maybe nobody ever buys them, then there is no difference. however, there certainly isn't any loss.

@kharmin.7683 said:@"gnotshr.9136" There are potential solutions, as you call them, to a problem that doesn't exist for Anet. The entire thread premise is flawed.

What's flawed is thinking that it's not an issue for Anet. Loot boxes are controversial and governments are either banning it outright or talking about regulating it. This means people are currently locked out from purchasing or will be in the future so it's definitely a problem for Anet and other gaming companies. In fact the the issue of loot boxes have opened the floodgates really with regards to scrutiny. Just 3 months ago the IMCO committee released a study and recommendations to the EU regarding this very issue and the results and recommendations were rather interesting. It goes beyond just loot boxes for example, focusing on protections for gaming consumers in general when it comes to monetary practices.

"Given the issues around loot boxes, according to interviewed experts from industry, regulation and aconsumer organisation, many game developers and publishers are increasingly moving away fromloot boxes and they are using other forms of in-game purchases and other business models..."

So what the OP is suggesting is giving an alternative way to earn those statuettes. It's a valid premise.

@kharmin.7683 said:

Also, if the item is not yet in the statuette list, and a player doesn't know if/when it will be listed and for how much, and the player desires the item then they will purchase keys to open chests in the hope of getting that specific item. This is where the RNG/lootbox stuff comes in to play and why some governments feel the need to protect people from their own purchasing habits.

Now, if people who are in support of the OP can show Anet how this change would actually benefit the company, then by all means do so and I would even support it because I want the company to remain profitable and the game to keep running.

Your objection seems based on the idea that the statuettes and statuette store are the main reason to buy keys.

People who buy keys are, I think, not usually so much planning on collecting the statuettes, as they are hoping for getting uncommon and rare drops. I really don't think people would stop buying keys and give up the chance of a premium drop to save 20-30% if statuettes were available for sale. The statuettes were introduced as a consolation prize for the people frustrated by using lots of keys without anything worthwhile in return, not as an end in themselves.

@Treacy.4067 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:@gnotshr.9136 There are potential solutions, as you call them, to a problem that doesn't exist for Anet. The entire thread premise is flawed.

What's flawed is thinking that it's not an issue for Anet.Clearly, it is not an issue for Anet or else they would have made some change back when these laws started. Mount-gate was a fiasco and was a huge issue for Anet, so much so that they almost immediately changed the way in which mount skins were sold. I don't see them scrambling to make changes to the way in which statuettes are obtained because some countries block the purchase of keys.

@Treacy.4067 said:So what the OP is suggesting is giving an alternative way to earn those statuettes. It's a valid premise.I disagree because it is a solution that is looking for a problem. A problem that appears that Anet doesn't see as one.

Even more money for Anet because people in anti-lootbox regions can now spend money on statuettes in the gemstore while still selling the same amount of black lion keys.If this were indeed the case, then I would think that Anet would have changed something by now. They have their own statistics and internal financial figures. It would seem that they are content with the status quo. To me, that says that the reason that you suggest is not a strong enough benefit. Perhaps if you had something stronger, it would be considered?

Everyone, please don't get me wrong. I hate spending money/gems for keys and would also like to have statuettes available by other means. I just don't see why Anet would want to do so.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:@gnotshr.9136 There are potential solutions, as you call them, to a problem that doesn't exist for Anet. The entire thread premise is flawed.

What's flawed is thinking that it's not an issue for Anet.Clearly, it is not an issue for Anet or else they would have made some change back when these laws started. Mount-gate was a fiasco and was a huge issue for Anet, so much so that they almost immediately changed the way in which mount skins were sold. I don't see them scrambling to make changes to the way in which statuettes are obtained because some countries block the purchase of keys.

@Treacy.4067 said:So what the OP is suggesting is giving an alternative way to earn those statuettes. It's a valid premise.I disagree because it is a solution that is looking for a problem. A problem that appears that Anet doesn't see as one.

Even more money for Anet because people in anti-lootbox regions can now spend money on statuettes in the gemstore while still selling the same amount of black lion keys.If this were indeed the case, then I would think that Anet would have changed something by now. They have their own statistics and internal financial figures. It would seem that they are content with the status quo. To me, that says that the reason that you suggest is not a strong enough benefit. Perhaps if you had something stronger, it would be considered?

Everyone, please don't get me wrong. I hate spending money/gems for keys and would also like to have statuettes available by other means. I just don't see why Anet would want to do so.

Have you considered that maybe the statuettes were an oversight by Anet when they blocked black lion keys in anti-lootbox regions? Maybe it wasn't an oversight and they deemed the other means of obtaining them fit? The reason for this thread was to shed some light on them for players in anti-lootbox regions and also to show that the current way for us to obtain them is not OK at all compared to other regions.

If you find yourself lost in the discussion, I suggest you to reread some of my replies, aswell as those of other users. Every argument you tried to make has been refute. There is absolutely no reason why statuettes should not be sold seperatly in the gemstore, or made obtainable by other means ingame so players like me also get a chance to get the guaranteed items from the Black Lion Merchant.

@Scratchpaw.1069 said:

Have you considered that maybe the statuettes were an oversight by Anet when they blocked black lion keys in anti-lootbox regions? Maybe it wasn't an oversight and they deemed the other means of obtaining them fit? The reason for this thread was to shed some light on them for players in anti-lootbox regions and also to show that the current way for us to obtain them is not OK at all compared to other regions.Black Lion statuettes were added for the exact purpose of anti-lootbox regions. It was no oversight.

If you find yourself lost in the discussion, I suggest you to reread some of my replies, aswell as those of other users.No need to be insulting because I do not agree with your proposal.

Every argument you tried to make has been refute.Which doesn't invalidate my opinions.

There is absolutely no reason why statuettes should not be sold seperatly in the gemstore, or made obtainable by other means ingame so players like me also get a chance to get the guaranteed items from the Black Lion Merchant.In your opinion, sure. In Anet's business decision, then no.

Good luck with your proposal.

@kharmin.7683 said:

Have you considered that maybe the statuettes were an oversight by Anet when they blocked black lion keys in anti-lootbox regions? Maybe it wasn't an oversight and they deemed the other means of obtaining them fit? The reason for this thread was to shed some light on them for players in anti-lootbox regions and also to show that the current way for us to obtain them is not OK at all compared to other regions.Black Lion statuettes were added for the exact purpose of anti-lootbox regions. It was no oversight.

If you find yourself lost in the discussion, I suggest you to reread some of my replies, aswell as those of other users.No need to be insulting because I do not agree with your proposal.

Every argument you tried to make has been refute.Which doesn't invalidate my opinions.

There is absolutely no reason why statuettes should not be sold seperatly in the gemstore, or made obtainable by other means ingame so players like me also get a chance to get the guaranteed items from the Black Lion Merchant.In your opinion, sure. In Anet's business decision, then no.

How was I being insulting? You keep repeating the exact same arguments that many people have already refuted, yet you keep saying the exact same thing? I'm mearly pointing out that you should reread the comments because you are going in circles. It doesn't invalidate your opinion, but it does invalidate your arguments. Many seem to agree with me.

@Scratchpaw.1069 said:

How was I being insulting? You keep repeating the exact same arguments that many people have already refuted, yet you keep saying the exact same thing? I'm mearly pointing out that you should reread the comments because you are going in circles. It doesn't invalidate your opinion, but it does invalidate your arguments. Many seem to agree with me.

Only those that have commented in your favor. I, for one, don’t agree with you, or the premise of the OP.

@kharmin.7683 doesn't speak for me, though the poster has made many of the arguments I have considered.

And, as an FYI, just because someone THINKS they have ‘refuted’ an argument, doesn't mean they have actually provided a factual basis to support what they are noting.

Anet changed the Black Lion chests to include the statuettes, which was done to specifically address most of the regulatory concerns.

And, to my knowledge, the change was made in Oct 2018, in response to regulations that HAD passed.

I doubt we are going to see NEW laws that would push them to change their process further.

Now, if players stopped buying keys altogether, we might see a change on Anets behalf. But it’s going to take that..

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

Only those that have commented in your favor. I, for one, don’t agree with you, or the premise of the OP.

@kharmin.7683 doesn't speak for me, though the poster has made many of the arguments I have considered.

And, as an FYI, just because someone THINKS they have ‘refuted’ an argument, doesn't mean they have actually provided a factual basis to support what they are noting.

Anet changed the Black Lion chests to include the statuettes, which was done to specifically address most of the regulatory concerns.

And, to my knowledge, the change was made in Oct 2018, in response to regulations that HAD passed.

I doubt we are going to see NEW laws that would push them to change their process further.

Now, if players stopped buying keys altogether, we might see a change on Anets behalf. But it’s going to take that..

While you do make a point about the refute of an argument. People have stated that they don't specifically buy keys for the statuette, rather for the chance of a rare rng drop. Even claiming they don't buy keys BECAUSE of the statuette taking up 25% chance. There just so happens to be a thread right now on reddit called "I just want a key, plz game" that even endorses the point I'm trying to make by reading the comments in that thread.

Another user mentioned that the anti-lootbox law will probably be enforced EU-wide in the future, which will make the entire EU region almost unable to get statuettes in game. I'll guess we'll only see Anet change this when that law is pushed through.

Anet will not lose money by selling statuettes as a stand alone item, they will gain money from it. It's a win/win situation.

@Scratchpaw.1069 said:Anet will not lose money by selling statuettes as a stand alone item, they will gain money from it. It's a win/win situation.You say this with such certainty. Have you been involved with the management decisions? Marketing? Finances? Legal?

The way that Anet seems to monetize so many things in GW2, you honestly believe that they wouldn't have done this already if it would make them so much more money? There has to be a good reason for them to gate statuettes the way that they are now, something that tells them that making them available through other methods wouldn't make more profit (or less).

Again, I am not against making these more available but I don't see a compelling reason for Anet to do so. Your say-so that it will absolutely make them more money is not enough.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Scratchpaw.1069 said:Anet will not lose money by selling statuettes as a stand alone item, they will gain money from it. It's a win/win situation.You say this with such certainty. Have you been involved with the management decisions? Marketing? Finances? Legal?

The way that Anet seems to monetize so many things in GW2, you honestly believe that they wouldn't have done this already if it would make them so much more money? There has to be a good reason for them to gate statuettes the way that they are now, something that tells them that making them available through other methods wouldn't make more profit (or less).

Again, I am not against making these more available but I don't see a compelling reason for Anet to do so. Your say-so that it will absolutely make them more money is not enough.

And what if they sell statuettes as a stand-alone item in the gemstore only for players in an anti-lootbox region, for the same amount 1 black lion key costs?

@Scratchpaw.1069 said:

And what if they sell statuettes as a stand-alone item in the gemstore only for players in an anti-lootbox region, for the same amount 1 black lion key costs?

That's a good question. But why alienate the rest of the player base by not allowing that same option. I'd wager that many would scream that it is unfair. Anet seems to have made the decision to keep things fair to all players in the way that statuettes are currently available. That some governments decide to pass laws that block them is not really Anet's problem. Just my opinion!!

But as I said before, making statuettes available for purchase (assume world-wide, to keep things fair for all players) might decrease the number of keys purchased as some players would no longer try to get the BL item through chests, which with RNG will probably cost them more in keys. Why would a player buy a chunk of keys to try to get the item that they want when they could just purchase a few statuettes and get the item without RNG? I know that I wouldn't.

Should Anet change as you suggest, I would expect the statuette cost of items to dramatically increase.

@kharmin.7683 said:

That's a good question. But why alienate the rest of the player base by not allowing that same option. I'd wager that many would scream that it is unfair. Anet seems to have made the decision to keep things fair to all players in the way that statuettes are currently available. That some governments decide to pass laws that block them is not really Anet's problem. Just my opinion!!

The point you are missing is that the rest of the player base does not get alienated. They can still buy Black Lion Keys for the guaranteed statuette + having 3 other random items. The only players alienated would be the people in anti-lootbox laws, because we ONLY get the statuette and not the 3 other random items (this is an argument in itself to sell statuettes at a slightly lower price than keys, but for the sake of trying to help you get my point, I suggest selling statuettes at the same price as keys). However, we are ALREADY alienated because we can't buy black lion keys for statuettes.

Anet still sells the same amount of black lion keys AND gets even more money from selling statuettes as a stand-alone item in regions that cannot buy keys.

@kharmin.7683 said:

Should Anet change as you suggest, I would expect the statuette cost of items to dramatically increase.

Why? Nothing would change on how to obtain them. The only difference is that people in anti-lootbox regions now also can get statuettes.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Ototo.3214 said:If they can't sell the keys in Belgium, i agree,, why can't they just sell the statuettes there instead? Wouldn't be a gambling item and would give easy access to the statuettes for people with no way of amassing them.

How would this be fair others, then? Why should they have to buy keys to get statuettes?

Because they can't buy keys and regardless, every time you use a key you are guaranteed a statuette. If they can't buy keys, let them buy the guaranteed thing from the gambling item they aren't allowed to have.

Adding an item for sale in a region where you can't buy keys means more people buying an item that didn't previously exist for people in that region.

@Ototo.3214 said:

Adding an item for sale in a region where you can't buy keys means more people buying an item that didn't previously exist for people in that region.

And then people in the other regions that are able to buy keys will then request that item to be made buyable in their regions as well.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

And then people in the other regions that are able to buy keys will then request that item to be made buyable in their regions as well.

Not if it's roughly the same price as a key. You technically can already buy statuettes by simply buying keys. You are guaranteed 1 statuette per key. Why is that so hard to understand?

@Ototo.3214 said:

Not if it's roughly the same price as a key. You technically can already buy statuettes by simply buying keys. You are guaranteed 1 statuette per key. Why is that so hard to understand?

So you’re saying that those who want the option to buy statuettes would accept buying them at the cost of a key?

Those same players are willing to accept to pay the their currency’s equivalent of $63 to $94 USD (based on key bundles) in order to get the special items for 60 statuettes when others can potentially get them for significantly less through keys?

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

So you’re saying that those who want the option to buy statuettes would accept buying them at the cost of a key?

OP asked for another way to obtain statuettes. Any other solution i can think of makes it unfair, as you've pointed out. The only way for people in their region to currently get statuettes is from the few free keys you can get from what? Story, map comp, and rare drop? That's hardly reliable for getting 60 before the items rotate in the merchant. If they flat out can't buy keys at all, and it's illegal to have loot boxes, let them be able to buy the non-loot box item from the chest that is guaranteed regardless. That at least makes it obtainable reliably. Not like it'd be much different from, say, transmutation charges. Obtainable in game for free, but able to be bought with gems if you really want more.