All the armor that drops in the game is the same color - bug?

Dimm.8264

As written in the title, all the armor that I get to loot in the game, starting maybe from level 10 or so, is of the exact same light-brown mud-like ugly color. To change this I always have to manually re-paint the armor through the dye menu, the loot drops basically have no native colors for me. The issue appears on both of my GW2 accounts. Don't know how to fix this, please help

Try to increase your GW2 graphics settings for Player Models. What you currently see is the game's "default" skins for all in-game armor and characters that replace the actual skins when you select "Lowest" or "Low" in those settings.

Edit: Okay, I might have misunderstood - are you seeing different armor designs and only having an issue with the colors?

The defaults for most older gear is mostly browns and gray. Only some of the newer sets have more colorful defaults.

Normally the defaults do not matter much as people are swapping pieces because items with default colors will take on the dyes of the previously equipped piece. If you unequip the previous piece before equipping the new one then this does not happen.

@Dimm.8264 said:@Khisanth.2948I tried taking all the character's armor off and bought a new piece of gear, but when I put it, it's still muddy brown, doesn't change....:(

This is exactly opposite on what they told you to do.

Have colour on your armor the equip a new armor without unequiping the other.It should then take the same colour as the one you already have equiped.

@Linken.6345 said:

@Dimm.8264 said:@Khisanth.2948I tried taking all the character's armor off and bought a new piece of gear, but when I put it, it's still muddy brown, doesn't change....:(

This is exactly opposite on what they told you to do.

Have colour on your armor the equip a new armor without unequiping the other.It should then take the same colour as the one you already have equiped.

I did it both ways, the result is the same :)

This is normal, you're a Medium which means most of the armor you're looting is leather, and will be using only colors listed as "Natural leather". If you want more colors, you can buy hundreds of dyes of the Trading Post, some as cheap as a few copper, but they're always going to look a bit muddy because the material they're being applied to is still going to usually be leather.

You can preview armors that you'll be able to get later in the game, many of which look far better, from the bank, in "Wardrobe" tab. And if you don't like any of them, you can wear outfits which are class-unspecific.

Also, despite what players say in this thread, new armor doesn't take on the color of the old armor unless its the same skin.

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Hmm. Have you tried a -repair to the client? Just in case of corrupted file(s)? https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Command_line_argumentsI don't know what default colors those armors have.

What do armors look like in 'preview'?

(p.s. There's a free gift waiting for you in the Gem Store, if you are interested. :) )

They look the same (i.e. muddy brown) in the preview, I don't see original colors. But it's hard for me to believe that an MMO would have all the armor of the same colorrunning repair now, will report laterand yes, I saw, thanks)

@"Hannelore.8153" said:This is normal, you're a Medium which means most of the armor you're looting is leather, and will be using only colors listed as "Natural leather". If you want more colors, you can buy hundreds of dyes of the Trading Post, some as cheap as a few copper, but they're always going to look a bit muddy because the material they're being applied to is still going to usually be leather.

You can preview armors that you'll be able to get later in the game, many of which look far better, from the bank, in "Wardrobe" tab. And if you don't like any of them, you can wear outfits which are class-unspecific.

Also, despite what players say in this thread, new armor doesn't take on the color of the old armor unless its the same skin.

I understand what you are saying, but I am not only talking about regular loot, I am talking quest rewards, gear bought for Karma, dungeon gear...like can we at least agree that the dungeon gear purchased for specific currency must have at least SOME color variations? Yet this is not what's happening. In the screenshot I left the link for my character is wearing an Ascalonian chestpiece, it's the same color as the rest of the gear, I refuse to believe that this is all normal. Otherwise there would be tons of similar looking brown engineers, thiefs etc running around low level zones, and yet again, this is not what's happening...

Two possibilities:

• You've dyed your armor and the same color scheme is applying to each armor you equip.
  • You have some corrupted files that are causing graphical glitches; this is one of the symptoms (there will be others, maybe).

This is how the armor looks out of the box: copper and charcoal tones, no "browns" as in your image.

! 85zMOwm.png

First thing you should do is the repair as described above by @"Inculpatus cedo.9234". That will identify any corrupted files and replace them with good ones. (Takes anywhere from a few minutes to 30-40, depending on your internet and hard drive speeds.)

If that doesn't help, then open up the dye panel on the same character. Choose the "eraser" icon (for remove) and apply it to every dye channel. That should restore the defaults.

If it's still a problem, there's one more thing I would try:Remove the six armor pieces, and then put them back. Double check that there are no dyes applied still. If they are, repeat the color-removal process one more time. And again, remove the armor, and replace it.

If you've gone through all of the above without any changes, then you are "blessed" with a weird bug I've only read about once or twice. For that, you need to contact Support and let them know what you are seeing. One of their tech gurus will have to assist.

I recommend creating the ticket, with the problem outlined as simply as possible: you are seeing one dye applied to all armor pieces, and you can't remove it. Submit, get the ticket number. And then update it, either via email or on the website. Add at least three screenshots: wardrobe panel, dye panel, and wardrobe panel again with a different skin chosen.

Also include all the troubleshooting steps you have taken: repair, dye removal, etc.

And if you can, let us know how it turns out.

@Dimm.8264 said:

@"Hannelore.8153" said:This is normal, you're a Medium which means most of the armor you're looting is leather, and will be using only colors listed as "Natural leather". If you want more colors, you can buy hundreds of dyes of the Trading Post, some as cheap as a few copper, but they're always going to look a bit muddy because the material they're being applied to is still going to usually be leather.

I understand what you are saying, but I am not only talking about regular loot, I am talking quest rewards, gear bought for Karma, dungeon gear...like can we at least agree that the dungeon gear purchased for specific currency must have at least SOME color variations? Yet this is not what's happening. In the screenshot I left the link for my character is wearing an Ascalonian chestpiece, it's the same color as the rest of the gear, I refuse to believe that this is all normal. Otherwise there would be tons of similar looking brown engineers, thiefs etc running around low level zones, and yet again, this is not what's happening...

it is normal - and one way to identify newbies: they don't dye their armors (it works almost as well as identifying them by movement). Seriously, this is not a bug. Dye your stuff to your hearts content and move one.

Try remove the dye from your current armor (use the eraser icon to do so), which should leave it at its default colors, then put on the new armor.

It is possible that the game "remembers" the colors you have picked previously.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:Seriously, this is not a bug. Dye your stuff to your hearts content and move one.

Best advice, actually.