Please allow the ability to copy text from chat. Just do it.

Seriously, this has been requested NUMEROUS times over the past 8+ years. Just about every other MMO on the planet does it, I have no idea why Anet refuses to. I play with people who do not speak English that well. They rely on being able to copy what they see in chat so they can translate it.

So seriously, either implement an in game automatic translator, or give people the ability to copy text. Or do you believe that having to alt-tab out to Discord every couple of seconds to send messages to people, copy responses, translate them in Google or DeepL, and type back your response, then come back to the game, is that a really good game experience in your opinion? It's awkward enough having to use an external translator, but that's at least doable if they're able to copy text from chat. Or do you prefer that people just use a 3rd party chat program like Discord, and just don't use the in game chat at all? Because we can do that, too, if that is your design decision. They won't be able to understand what goes on in map chat, but what the kitten. It's mostly a Barren's chat experience, anyway.

What does it change so much though, if they still have to go on Google to translate? It's just a few extra seconds to go on discord and copy from there, I mean, there is still the 'move to browser' part anyway.As for you, the app version for phone of discord is very handy and would inconvenience you less.

@Slartibartfast.5416 I play with people who do not speak English that well. They rely on being able to copy what they see in chat so they can translate it.

I can’t really believe that in 2020 there are still people wo can’t understand English good enough to play a video game.I am no native English speaker but because of school, watching movies and series in English I never had any problems understanding the English ingame.

@Slartibartfast.5416 said:Seriously, this has been requested NUMEROUS times over the past 8+ years. Just about every other MMO on the planet does it, I have no idea why Anet refuses to. I play with people who do not speak English that well. They rely on being able to copy what they see in chat so they can translate it.

So seriously, either implement an in game automatic translator, or give people the ability to copy text. Or do you believe that having to alt-tab out to Discord every couple of seconds to send messages to people, copy responses, translate them in Google or DeepL, and type back your response, then come back to the game, is that a really good game experience in your opinion? It's awkward enough having to use an external translator, but that's at least doable if they're able to copy text from chat. Or do you prefer that people just use a 3rd party chat program like Discord, and just don't use the in game chat at all? Because we can do that, too, if that is your design decision. They won't be able to understand what goes on in map chat, but what the kitten. It's mostly a Barren's chat experience, anyway.

They don't allow Copy and Paste to help avoid spam.

@yoni.7015 said:

@Slartibartfast.5416 I play with people who do not speak English that well. They rely on being able to copy what they see in chat so they can translate it.

I can’t really believe that in 2020 there are still people wo can’t understand English good enough to play a video game.I am no native English speaker but because of school, watching movies and series in English I never had any problems understanding the English ingame.

you do realize that not everyone has the same opportunities to gain same skills as you? you do realize that there are places where offering english studies is not a standard at all, and all movies and tv series are always dubbed? also this is 13+ game, do you expect 13 years olds to have already mastered second language well enough to understand english fluently enough to not struggle with relatively story heavy game, and interact with other players in chat?

@VocalThought.9835 said:

@Slartibartfast.5416 said:Seriously, this has been requested NUMEROUS times over the past 8+ years. Just about every other MMO on the planet does it, I have no idea why Anet refuses to. I play with people who do not speak English that well. They rely on being able to copy what they see in chat so they can translate it.

You can post into the ingame chat though. Which is all you need to spam.

Personally I'd like the ability to copy text ingame because it makes sharing Ts3-Addresses so much easier. Having to type an IP-Address sucks, especially if you don't have a second screen.

@VocalThought.9835 said:

No, that isn't the reason.

You can cut, copy and paste into the text entry field for the chat window. You can copy and paste when entering the guild message of the day.

Heck, if you press the up and down cursor keys you can scroll through the message history and send any of them again.

They just don't allow you to select and copy text from the chat log or other text areas.