Torment, fear and Insidious Disruption

Lily.1935

I guess my major issue here is that this change to torment is really about nerfing scourge in PvP while boosting it in PvE and ignores core necro and how its main source of condi dmg relied on kiting and fear while applying torment.  Not to mention those CCs to hold players in place while tormenting them don't mean a thing to a boss that just stands there anyway.  I'm just wondering why they felt the need to do the change across the board instead of just flipping it for PvE and reducing the overall damage in PvP or reduce the frequency it could be applied in PvP, but still leave the higher damage on movement. 

4 hours ago, Lexan.5930 said:

first off, great math.

yea the torment change sucks but honestly after anet gave torment to everyone else when it was supposed to be a necro unique condi it's meh. bleed is still our top condi by far. for pve yay, for pvp meh torment wasn't killing people, bleed or poison usually was.

soul barbs, yes finally, took long enough

You clearly didn't play a lot of condi scourge.

Torment has always been the top dmg source for condi scourge in pvp/wvw (well, we will leave dhuumfire without icd aside)

Torment was the condition helping against fast moving /teleporting, low condi-sustain targets (thieves, mesmers) in PvP modes. It is obvious this patch did not take into account the competitive modes but was made with the aerodrome golem in mind. For me this is a change towards worse.

On 5/3/2021 at 9:34 PM, KrHome.1920 said:

The torment rework is a quite significant buff to the PvE dps of scourge. It will finally get over 30k, which is okay for a semi support condi spec.

For the competitive modes, this is nothing more than a bandaid fix. ANet likes badaid fixes.

They call this patch is a preparation of the next expac. Maybe half of the new elite specs will spam immobilize. 😄

With other specs benching 40k+, necro will be left behind. As usually.

25 minutes ago, Voltekka.2375 said:

With other specs benching 40k+, necro will be left behind. As usually.

I don't think so. Yes you won't see necro in speed kills.

But scourge benching 36k makes it extremely strong for pugs and average groups.

Especially on average groups that can epi bounce, scourge will definitely carry them.

We can only hope for an end of dragons espec, that allows necro to be a top DPS spec (mechanic wise)

Honestly, they should just completely rework fear as it stands now.

1. it's impossible to balance for both pve and pvp

2. it's very much not fun to play against in pvp because it takes control away from a player

3. Necro has very few options to even apply fear

4. There are MANY traits that aim to take advantage of fear, and almost all of them are disappointing to use at the very least.

5. The only use fear has in pve is for heavy breakbar damage on bosses, if you use fear against thrash mobs you're going to scatter them everywhere which is not what you want at all.

I'm not against the idea of necro having access to a unique condition, sort of how revenant and mesmer have almost exclusive access to alacrity. Just make it something fun to use, not frustrating to receive, and something that can be balanced. Maybe even just rename fear into terror and make it so that targets take increased damage while running away, so you can balance terror with torment, or something else.