Asura need some love!

I didn't want to disrupt the other thread about Charr so I decided to make my own on the matter. :^)

I'd love to see more body types, faces, and hair styles for the Asura. I have one Asura who canonically has long hair but there's a serious lack of long flowing hair options. The one I'm using for him at the moment is the ponytail in the middle of the back of the head one. :(

So yeah, Asura! :D What would my other fellow Asura lovers like to see? :3

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Asura master race. There's a male face option some NPCs have that have never been an option in character creation. The faces that were added for male asura since launch have all been incredibly feminine and creepy looking or even look like botched plastic surgery. I'd like more cute and gremlin like face options for male asura.

@Dog.1472 said:Asura master race. There's a male face option some NPCs have that have never been an option in character creation. The faces that were added for male asura since launch have all been incredibly feminine and creepy looking or even look like botched plastic surgery. I'd like more cute and gremlin like face options for male asura.

While I don't mind feminine faces, if you're referring to the faces I think you're referring to, then I have to agree. They're too doll-like. It seems like a very hard face to use to make it convincing/believable for Asura. I say hard because I have a friend who plays the game and she did a very great job of making use of that face for fraternal Asura twin characters of hers.

Heck, I'd love to see more gender-neutral faces available for Asura. I like the lack of physical dimorphism in the race. Well, it's one of the many things I love about the Asura. <3

Alchemy, I was hoping a thread like this would come around.

Yes, we definitely need more variety, especially for hair. All we seem to have are up-dos, with only a couple shoulder length hair options. We need more.Additionally, although I know asura are supposed to be gender neutral with their clothing,, but I really wish for more skirt options.

@TheOrlyFactor.8341 said:

@Oglaf.1074 said:Wasn't it established that all Asura are bald and they're all wearing wigs at once point?

This is the first time I've heard of this. o_O

If anyone has a link to this info, I'd certainly like to read it.

I wonder if that idea came from the display bug in Personal Story where Zojja lost her hair when her headgear came off. :P

@Rauderi.8706 said:

@Oglaf.1074 said:Wasn't it established that all Asura are bald and they're all wearing wigs at once point?

I wonder if that idea came from the display bug in Personal Story where Zojja lost her hair when her headgear came off. :P

I still love that bug but I also like bald Asura too. :P

I miss Zojja. :C

The clipping toes and ears are huge problems for Asura players IMO, but the first and foremost drawback is the plain lack of Asuran focus on the last year. HoT did its job of maintaining Asura relevant, but with PoF it got all to the trash. Humans, humans, humans, always humans, all the time humans.

The armors are all designed human first. It is a technical issue, I think, but it is still horrible. For any character, there are 3 cultural armors in ALL the game. 3. Except humans, who have all the rest tailored to them. All minimally decent looking new armors for Asura are either non mix'n match outfits, or extremely hard to get.

Not only that: human always receive two kinds of armor, because theirs are sex depending. I love Asura being more asexual, but in terms of pure content, they are receiving less. We should get to choose wich type of sex dependent armor we use.

Even in the decoration department almost everything is "generic". But do you know what generic seems to mean for anet? "Human". No lab components or machines, no Asuran architecture, etc.

At the bare minimum, Anet should revamp all armor boots to have proper toes. And IMO that is the lowest of the lowest TCL Asura should receive.

I remember this discussion. It was some time ago I believe it was canon, regardless of concept art, that because the asura evolved underground they had no reason to develop hair and so they were entirely bald. GW2 gave asura hair for the sake of character creation options. I will see if I can try to find this, but it may take a while.

Edit: I can't find anything official. There's quite a few topics where it is speculated that asura did not evolve hair naturally, but I don't think this was ever backed up by anything more than where the asura are from and the fact that the majority of asura including Zojja are bald.

@Endless Soul.5178 said:Ah yes, the shoes, our constant nemesis.

Fortunately, the new Light Elonian Shoes actually have straps going around our toes. I was really pleased to see that. I don't know about the other armor weights though.

I found the Elonian and even Funerary armor looks really great on Asura. I haven't have much time to preview them all to their fullest extent because of Halloween but what I used on the characters that I did looked really great.

Excelsior.

I am not sure if we need shoes anyways. Our feet look rather robust, and as former subterranean species I think we are used to uncomfortable environment. One of the (2012) PDFs and interviews about the master race, I mean, the Asura, stated that we have those sharp shark teeth because of the cave fungi which was apparently a part of our nourishment. And our skin also has a very robust look to it. It's hard to describe what I mean, but when I have been to Croatia the first time, there were just these awkward cliffs and you had to wear shoes else you could cut yourself at EVERYTHING when swimming. So I guess Asura feet do not actually need shoes. In fact, you see many Asura NPC walking around barefeet and thus I always thought our toes sticking out was "Normal". But then I saw the ghostly outfit covers all perfectly...

But yes, I am all for more Asura love. ArenaNet really enjoyed developing the secret master race and you can clearly feel (and read about) it. But here and there a bit more attention would be nice. You know, we need this. If we don't get recognition we are going to hurt Skritt again. Don't let that happen, aNet.

@Nikal.4921 said:Also, weapon sizes on Asura need to increase. Weapons shrink to near invisible while stowed. This is really bad when you've spent good gold or gems on nice skins, an absolute waste.

I don't know how I could have failed to mention this. THIS a million times! I want visible weapons! My pistols seem like toothbrushes!

@Nikal.4921 said:Also, weapon sizes on Asura need to increase. Weapons shrink to near invisible while stowed. This is really bad when you've spent good gold or gems on nice skins, an absolute waste.

I've noticed this as well. While I'm more about the armor skins, I have seen that weapon sizes look very off on Asura, like they're much smaller than they should be to the point they look a bit off-scale for even Asura.

@Zedek.8932 said:Excelsior.

I am not sure if we need shoes anyways. Our feet look rather robust, and as former subterranean species I think we are used to uncomfortable environment. One of the (2012) PDFs and interviews about the master race, I mean, the Asura, stated that we have those sharp shark teeth because of the cave fungi which was apparently a part of our nourishment. And our skin also has a very robust look to it. It's hard to describe what I mean, but when I have been to Croatia the first time, there were just these awkward cliffs and you had to wear shoes else you could cut yourself at EVERYTHING when swimming. So I guess Asura feet do not actually need shoes. In fact, you see many Asura NPC walking around barefeet and thus I always thought our toes sticking out was "Normal". But then I saw the ghostly outfit covers all perfectly...

But yes, I am all for more Asura love. ArenaNet really enjoyed developing the secret master race and you can clearly feel (and read about) it. But here and there a bit more attention would be nice. You know, we need this. If we don't get recognition we are going to hurt Skritt again. Don't let that happen, aNet.

In a clean, orderly, well-maintained lab, of course you don't need shoes. Shoes are a sign of disorder and sloppy thinking....Which makes me wonder if Queen Jennah should be lauded or considered dressing above her station. Hm.

Archived